Economic Protein Choices that are Tasty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Economic Protein Choices that are Tasty? I need to gain weight and am interested in protein sources that are actually tasty and budget friendly. It could be fast food, take out, or even something at the supermarket, as long as I don't have the hassle of prepping in or cooking it in tedious manner?

so basically, economical, hassle free, (low maintenance) and convenient tasty protein sources? Anyone add on to this list (and please don't say chunk light tuna, or ramen)

1. Whey powder

2. Rotiserre Chicken

3. Fried Chicken (like from Pudgie's, Crown, Kennedy Fried Chicken)

4. Boneless Spare Ribs (any chinese place)

5. eggs

6. Burger King Chicken Nuggets

7. Wendy's triple (not really THAT economic)

8. Rice & Beans (from spanish places, more for the beans)

9.???

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Peanut Butter

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Uhhhh, shouldn't you be asking for this to your trainer or on fitness forums?

Besides, the only economic protein choice in all of that is whey powder. Chicken already costs like 4-5 times as much as whey powder per gram of protein.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

The egg is probably the most economical. Cheap, and it's a complete protein.

But you're trying to gain weight? If you're already eating a decent amount of protein and workout a bit -- GOMAD. Gallon of milk a day.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Why are you eating protein if you want to gain weight and want it to be economical? Just eat loads of cheap pasta and complement it with eggs/grounded beef.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N30F3N1X

@kaealy said:

Why are you eating protein if you want to gain weight and want it to be economical? Just eat loads of cheap pasta and complement it with eggs/grounded beef.

Roflmao

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
@N30F3N1X said:
@kaealy said:

Roflmao

I assume it's funny because I come from a country where most people aren't overweight and can eat carbohydrates in moderation?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N30F3N1X

@kaealy said:
@N30F3N1X said:
@kaealy said:

Roflmao

I assume it's funny because I come from a country where most people aren't overweight and can eat carbohydrates in moderation?

No, it's funny because it's obvious that you didn't understand what question you were answering to. With "gaining weight" the OP means "gaining lean weight", and that's not something you can do with just pasta and its condiment. You need both a caloric surplus and a high protein intake.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

Gaining weight, lean weight I meant... yes Peanut Butter is a good one... ground beef is ok i guess if you call pan frying it easy.

I know whey is the most econmonical, but I was also talking about other choices because I can't eat whey shakes all day... need some new ideas to break up the monotony.

I added - lowfat yogurt, part skim mozerrala polly-o string chese, peanut butter

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

I compete in sports (MMA). I usually get 40 grams from whey, 15 to 20 grams from greek yogurt, peanut butter on two pieces of stone ground wheat is about 20grams and two chicken thighs (4 ounces each) give me a combined 55-60 grams. Other foods I eat throughout the day that aren't protein rich still probably yield me another 20 to 30 grams.

Whey is usually 40 to 60 cents for a 20 to 28 gram serving. Greek yogurt can run from 70 cents to a dollar. Two pieces of bread with a serving of peanut butter is probably under half a dollar. Chicken thighs I get for about 60 to 70 cents per thigh (store usually packages them in 8 to 10 thigh increments). Occasionally I sub the greek yogurt with eggwhites. The whole container has 55 grams of protein and cost 2 dollars.

The only maintenance you would need is cooking the chicken thighs but it takes virtually no effort. I literally just throw them in the oven, leave for 45 minutes, and then pull them out and place them in a fridge container.