DVD vs. Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ecamped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ecamped
Member since 2005 • 630 Posts

Which do you think is the best?

It really isn't worth getting a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player, as upconverting DVD players save tons of money, and look very good (or so I've heard). Plus, it's too much of a headache. I will never get a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player as long as each player only gets certain movies.

shaza91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 shaza91
Member since 2005 • 3696 Posts
DVD are going to be obsolete. There is no avoiding that. But there is almost no difference that will affect the movie quality between HD and Blu Ray. There is no clear way to see which format will comeout on top.
ecamped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ecamped
Member since 2005 • 630 Posts

DVD are going to be obsolete. There is no avoiding that. But there is almost no difference that will affect the movie quality between HD and Blu Ray. There is no clear way to see which format will comeout on top.shaza91

But DVD is still the best-selling movie format, by far. It's so much cheaper, and you don't have to worry about licensing to a certain player.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
DVD are going to be obsolete. There is no avoiding that. But there is almost no difference that will affect the movie quality between HD and Blu Ray. There is no clear way to see which format will comeout on top.shaza91
Indeed, I have a Blu-ray player and an HD-DVD player and its really a toss up to which is better, I think both are fine, but for some reason I think that Blu-ray is going to win.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
[QUOTE="ice_radon"][QUOTE="shaza91"]DVD are going to be obsolete. There is no avoiding that. But there is almost no difference that will affect the movie quality between HD and Blu Ray. There is no clear way to see which format will comeout on top.KiIIyou
Indeed, I have a Blu-ray player and an HD-DVD player and its really a toss up to which is better, I think both are fine, but for some reason I think that Blu-ray is going to win.

It might be because of the name, hd-dvd is kinda generic sounding.

See, I thought it would be the complete opposite. Everyone knows DVD, so adding HD to it must just make it better...you know? I just want one to win and prices to drop to current DVD prices... This is like 1998 all over again when DVD's started breaking into the scene and my first DVD player I guess cost around 800 bucks. And the movies themselves were around 25 to 30 bucks a piece.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

HD-DVD is cheaper, and delievers same quality as Blu-Ray, and both go 1080p, but maybe blu-ray compresses more, w/e. DVD is still the king right now, and I'm not gonna give a **** until this format war is over with. I mean, we still have alternatives like multi-layered DVD's, and with MS Compressions software, we don't need Blu-Ray that much.

Yet the people who put Blu-Ray in the PS3 are basically paying every game company that makes an exclusive for them to say 'We cannot make this without Blu-Ray, blu-ray was a total neccessity to make this", it's total and utter CRAP, cuz remember..who makes Blu-Ray? You guessed it, SONY! Why would sony say their own stuff sucks? They know it sucks, but they aren't gonna tell you that.

So I voted DVD, because just like VHS vs Betamax, DVD vs Laserdisc, and now, HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, it's going to be a marketing war, but I'm surprised how long this HD-DVD and BRD war is going on, it's nice to see that both Toshiba and Sony have learned something from Histories mistakes. I just can't wait for this to blow over, cuz they are not that different from regular HD quality stuff, it's just at a bigger resolution, that's really it, sure it's got cool special features and stuff, but it's just the resolution that people care about.

RiSkyBiZ-13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 RiSkyBiZ-13
Member since 2007 • 1448 Posts
I thought Blu-Ray was overrated until I went to Best Buy the other day and watched a Blu-Ray demo. Needless to say, I was dry firing into my pants. AMAZING!!!
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ElArab

See, I thought it would be the complete opposite. Everyone knows DVD, so adding HD to it must just make it better...you know? I just want one to win and prices to drop to current DVD prices... This is like 1998 all over again when DVD's started breaking into the scene and my first DVD player I guess cost around 800 bucks. And the movies themselves were around 25 to 30 bucks a piece.ice_radon

Ha, I remember when South Park would make fun of Token for bieng rich, cuz he had Lion King DVD's, and they were like "DVD IS EXPENSIVE! NO ONE HAS DVD'S MAN!" and now I see that episode and I'm like "haha...I remember those days".

Sadly it's bieng repeated, and that's why prices are so high right now, and I think HD-DVD will win, because like you said, everyone know's DVD, and just cuz Blu-Ray sounds sexier, adding "HD" to thing's makes it seem better, it's like when you put "XTREME" in front of something.

Easy example, HDTV. HDTV has excellent quality, but it can't go 1080p unless you got Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, but people who are very simple minded, will just assume that "HD-DVD" is more compatible with "HDTV", and will think Blu-Ray is an unneccessary luxury, because it will have a higher price tag. DVD and TV are very familiar terms as well.

If it wasn't for the PS3, I think the Blu-Ray would be almost unknown to people right now, and hell, if it wasn't for the BRD player in PS3, people probably wouldn't even rent/buy BRD's anyway.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ElArab

I thought Blu-Ray was overrated until I went to Best Buy the other day and watched a Blu-Ray demo. Needless to say, I was dry firing into my pants. AMAZING!!!RiSkyBiZ-13

It's really pretty, but I've seen the difference, nothing an HDTV can't do. (at lower resolutions.)

I got a 22'' westinghouse LCD HDTV, and it's upsacles of DVD's could be confused for blu-ray or HD-DVD, but if it was a bigger screen, people would know the difference.