Drug tests for Welfare?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jo-joGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jo-joGun
Member since 2010 • 244 Posts

Do you think there should be mandatory drug testing for welfare recipients and if so, do you think alcoholics should be on the "No Go" list as well?

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Yes and they should be tested periodically for drugs, because addicts don't deserve welfare...

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Yes there should be a drug test. Also how will you prove someone is alcoholic?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
Yes there should be. In addition, they should crack down on welfare fraud.
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Yes, and if they are addicted to drugs they should be given help, rather than ignored.

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.

This, and as it says in the OP i think alcoholics should be a part of this as well.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.

This, and as it says in the OP i think alcoholics should be a part of this as well.

Maybe once. But not continuously...
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="pis3rch"][QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.LJS9502_basic

What do you mean?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="pis3rch"] This, and as it says in the OP i think alcoholics should be a part of this as well. SgtKevali

What do you mean?

I mean the individual should not continue to receive welfare if they gone through rehab and then failed another drug test/tests.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.EMOEVOLUTION

How would it be unconstitutional? And why should the get drug rehabilitation paid for? Why should one group be given something that another group isn't? THAT is unconstitutional...

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
there are checked out already.
GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts

[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.SpartanMSU

How would it be unconstitutional? And why should the get drug rehabilitation paid for? Why should one group be given something that another group isn't? THAT is unconstitutional...

Huh? What other group isn't?
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
yeah totally
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.SpartanMSU

Because one group has a drug problem, the other doesn't. It's like asking why the sick should get more medicine than the healthy.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.

i agree with this
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.SgtKevali

Because one group has a drug problem, the other doesn't. It's like asking why the sick should get more medicine than the healthy.

Well no. It's like asking why group A gets free medicine while group B doesn't.
ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts

Sounds good but who's gonna pay for it?

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts
I agree, only those who actually need hlep should get it.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

LJS9502_basic

Well, group A has the drug problem (combined with lack of $$ usually) while group B doesn't, to that extent. My point is that it's best if we give people an opportunity to get back on their feet (if they're willing to). In the end it helps almost all of society in one way or another.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
I think a society should help each other. If some people need more help than others should we just leave them to rot?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

Well, group A has the drug problem (combined with lack of $$ usually) while group B doesn't, to that extent. My point is that it's best if we give people an opportunity to get back on their feet (if they're willing to). In the end it helps almost all of society in one way or another.

Group A has the lack of money because they choose to use it on drugs. No one is an addict before they use...and not for some time later. Why should the public support criminal activity?
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Yes, I think that's an excellent idea. People who test positive should be given a chance to get clean, and preferably some help to get them off in the right direction. Obviously, the purpose of welfare money is not to enable these sorts of habits, but rather to help a person become self-sufficient. Unfortunately, many people just can't do that on their own and need assistance getting their lives on track - assistance they won't seek on their own, oftentimes out of embarrassment or simply not knowing where to start.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic

Yes, I think that's an excellent idea. People who test positive should be given a chance to get clean, and preferably some help to get them off in the right direction. Obviously, the purpose of welfare money is not to enable these sorts of habits, but rather to help a person become self-sufficient. Unfortunately, many people just can't do that on their own and need assistance getting their lives on track - assistance they won't seek on their own, oftentimes out of embarrassment or simply not knowing where to start.

pianist

Yes but just throwing money at them doesn't help them become self sufficient. I think job training and placement would be beneficial....

I'll hear you play when you dedicate a Cure song to me....:P

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well no. It's like asking why group A gets free medicine while group B doesn't.LJS9502_basic

Group A has the lack of money because they choose to use it on drugs. No one is an addict before they use...and not for some time later. Why should the public support criminal activity?

Often those who are addicted to drugs didn't have a lot of money in the first place. It's a complicated issue.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic

Often those who are addicted to drugs didn't have a lot of money in the first place. It's a complicated issue.

SgtKevali

They steal. I lived with an addict and knew several others. And many times rehab is not a choice they want to make....

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

LJS9502_basic

They steal. I lived with an addict and knew several others. And many times rehab is not a choice they want to make....

I don't see how that's relevant to what I said.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I think it is a good idea. I'm not sure about the details of implementation though. I certainly wouldn't want tax-payer money to fund someone's drug addiction, but I don't feel very comfortable with a "strike policy" (i.e. one strike and you're out, type of deal). I say this because unfortunately relapse occurs with high probability for many drug addicts. I'd like a program which rewards someone who is proactive in fighting their addiction and making strides, so that if they do relapse but are seeking help for it they can still get financial aid. Obviously, there needs to be good communication with the welfare agency and the doctor and social worker of the individual.

As someone also stated before, I'm all for cracking down on welfare fraud as well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

You mentioned the money situation did you not? And the second part of my post was in regard to the idea that getting addicts to complete and continue rehab is all it takes. Not true.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

I think it is a good idea. I'm not sure about the details of implementation though. I certainly wouldn't want tax-payer money to fund someone's drug addiction, but I don't feel very comfortable with a "strike policy" (i.e. one strike and you're out, type of deal). I say this because unfortunately relapse occurs with high probability for many drug addicts. I'd like a program which rewards someone who is proactive in fighting their addiction and making strides, so that if they do relapse but are seeking help for it they can still get financial aid. Obviously, there needs to be good communication with the welfare agency and the doctor and social worker of the individual.

As someone also stated before, I'm all for cracking down on welfare fraud as well.

entropyecho

I said that.:D

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]They steal. I lived with an addict and knew several others. And many times rehab is not a choice they want to make....

LJS9502_basic

You mentioned the money situation did you not? And the second part of my post was in regard to the idea that getting addicts to complete and continue rehab is all it takes. Not true.

Why do drug addicts often steal? To get more drugs. Helping them with their addiction seems like the best way to counter that, doesn'it it? And if they don't want to do rehab/get other help, then we can't help them. However, we should help those who are willing to help themselves and be helped.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

SgtKevali

Why do drug addicts often steal? To get more drugs. Helping them with their addiction seems like the best way to counter that, doesn'it it? And if they don't want to do rehab/get other help, then we can't help them. However, we should help those who are willing to help themselves and be helped.

There is only so much money you can take from people in the form of taxes. However, I'd be willing to cut out the perks for politicians to pay for the program.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Si, I agree, even a one time test can easily wad out the druggies and normal up-right citizens.

Approve on my book.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I completely agree. If you're on welfare, you better be doing all you can to get OFF it. Welfare is supposed to be a short term thing, not something you live off of and buy your booze or drugs with because you're far too lazy to get a real job.
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

Yes and they should be tested periodically for drugs, because addicts don't deserve welfare...

CHOASXIII
Couldn't agree more
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts
Yes there should be. In addition, they should crack down on welfare fraud.LJS9502_basic
I agree with this too.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Sure, I'd be perfectly fine with that. Although it'd have to be structured properly; I'm not going to support a policy where if you test positive for marijuana once, you all of a sudden don't get any assistance from the government.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You mentioned the money situation did you not? And the second part of my post was in regard to the idea that getting addicts to complete and continue rehab is all it takes. Not true.LJS9502_basic

There is only so much money you can take from people in the form of taxes. However, I'd be willing to cut out the perks for politicians to pay for the program.

Yes, but this is one of those things that I think taxes should be spent on. It helps society as a whole if there are less addicts.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.EMOEVOLUTION

I agree

but if I had to chose, I'd say no welfare for drug addicts

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

SgtKevali

Yes, but this is one of those things that I think taxes should be spent on. It helps society as a whole if there are less addicts.

Most addicts relapse. It has to be a choice they WANT to make. There is no magic that rids the world of addicts. And unfortunately every day there are more people trying drugs.....
poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

If someone had a puff of their neighbors spliff you would take away all of their benefits? Seems a bit harsh. Hell why not ban alcohol altogether, and while you're at it pop an 8pm curfew on them as well to make sure all they can possibly do with there lives is look for a job.

So no, being unemployed is stressful, and with stress we need our props and vices whatever they may be.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is only so much money you can take from people in the form of taxes. However, I'd be willing to cut out the perks for politicians to pay for the program.LJS9502_basic

Most addicts relapse. It has to be a choice they WANT to make. There is no magic that rids the world of addicts. And unfortunately every day there are more people trying drugs.....

Of course you can't get rid of all addicts. But less of them would certainly help.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
There should be a way to make sure welfare isn't being wasted in any way, including drugs.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="EMOEVOLUTION"]I could only agree to this on one condition.. those who test positive are allowed to enter a quality rehabilitation program paid for by the Government. To do anything less would be.. not only unconstitutional but cruel. A drug addict is a person.. with a problem. They should have every opportunity, every resource to fix that problem.. especially if our society is capable of offering that.SgtKevali

I'm talking about people who AREN'T on welfare and have a drug problem...

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Yes but just throwing money at them doesn't help them become self sufficient. I think job training and placement would be beneficial....

LJS9502_basic

It would - but not until they're clean. The last thing an employer wants is a worker with an active drug addiction. The big problem with a lot of welfare recipients is that their lives are really off track, and it's not simply a matter of getting them working. They have very limited education and skills, and in many cases they had an awful upbringing and have no sense of self esteem or motivation, nor any understanding of the basic things a person needs to know to be self-sufficient in modern society. There's a lot of work that must be done with the individual before he or she is ready for even a menial job, and that's difficult work to accomplish.

Simply cutting them off and leaving them to starve on the streets is something I could never personally support, but ideally, no able bodied person should be left in that sort of rut. At least by working they may get some sense of satisfaction out of their existence. Doing nothing at all becomes an incredibly dull experience after a short while.

And none of that modern stuff for me. CIassical or bust. :P