Dragon Ball Super: Broly comes out. Who's going to see it?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I've been waiting for an anime Dragon Ball film to hit theaters for a long time. So hell yes, I'm seeing it. Gotta say, the MPAA was lower than I thought though as I thought it was getting at least a PG-13, but it's regular PG (Wasn't it thanks to films like Temple of Doom being too violent for their rating how we ended up with PG-13 in the first place?)

ErickSander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 ErickSander
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

Link in spanish.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

Watched it a few times now.

Fault wise, the Planet Vegita stuff feels rushed. Really harsh time jumps in order to keep the running time low. Originally Toriyama wrote 3 hours worth of stuff so I'm guessing like Ressurection F, the Blueray version will be extended. More a minor-quibble than a major complaint.

They actually do a fantastic job of making a previously mediocre character relevant to the story both for the movie itself and potential future project.

As far as solid action sequences go, pretty much the in the series. It's almost 30-40 minutes of non-interrupted fighting that manages to capture that intrinsic sense of escalation.

The art-style is sublime. That horrible digital look for Super is dropped in favour of Akira Toryama distinctive style. Character designs and colours just pop. Although there is a few jumps to CGI that look straight out of DBZF.

The music is superb as well. I saw some reviews complaining about the announcer guy but it didn't bother me, on contrary I rather like it. The orchestral themes really stand out as well.

Overall I still think Dragon Ball Z: Bardock – The Father of Goku is the best of the movies but if you're wanting typical Dragonball fighty-action this is pretty clearly the best of the bunch. It's almost an apology for mediocrity of (alot of) Super, which Akira Toryama himself wasn't happy about. And I would wager his motivation for being so hands on with it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I'll watch it soon, ive heard this movie is actaully canon?

Is that true ?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ericksander: get learning Spanish then

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup

@thehig1 said:

I'll watch it soon, ive heard this movie is actaully canon?

Is that true ?

Ye.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

I'll watch it for free through Youtube :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

Definitely better in a cinema. Blow your eye-drums up.

It was a pleasant surprise to see this released in UK cinemas, even if limited.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#9 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

This Monday!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I thought the UK release date is 23 January? Are there cinemas showing it early?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I thought the UK release date is 23 January? Are there cinemas showing it early?

My brother works in one. 23'd for everyone else.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

@nintendoboy16: I actually change my mind and went seeing Dragon Ball Super: Broly in theaters only because my GF wanted to go see it. After watching that movie, I’m convinced Akira Toriyama is the Japanese Michael Bay of anime. That’s what I’m calling him from now on but this doesn't mean I hate it. I'm cool with Bay, it is a fun movie and it's fun to watch. I don't think it's a good movie, but I think it's a fun movie. And that's all a Dragon Ball movie needs to do but in Bay style because it sells lol.

So yeah it was overall a mixed bag. I'd give the movie a 7/10 above average that I mainly enjoyed due to new art/animation.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup

Akira Toriyama is more comparable to Tolkien or Walt Disney.

Much this Tolkien this franchise started out a children's adventure, transitioning to operatic violence. Like Walt Disney. he (along with his wife's help) almost single handedly popularized mange/anime setting a blue-print for others to follow.

I think comparing him to Michael Bay is demeaning, to be honest. Michael Bay's fight-scenes are schizophrenic and almost impossible to follow. By contrast, using "stills" he's able to convey the visual language of moment far better. And generally speaking when it comes to the team who done the action scenes for Broly, had 0 problem following what was going on it.

Bay tends to use racist/macho stereotypes as well in an attempt to endear characters. Here pretty much every-character barring Frieza and (arguably Paragus) are compassionate in some form. Or misguided.

In a Micheal Bay movie characters typically show mean spirited contempt, with a wink wink* to justify it.

---

Having said that, The Rock is awesome. And one of the best Die-Hard clones made.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 uninspiredcup

It' doing well at the box office. By contrast Ressurection F took in 1.9 million.

https://www.newsarama.com/43527-dragon-ball-super-broly-the-1-film-at-u-s-box-office.html

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#15 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

So, I finally saw it. Now this is the Dragon Ball theatrical film I'm talking about. :D

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup said:

It' doing well at the box office. By contrast Ressurection F took in 1.9 million.

https://www.newsarama.com/43527-dragon-ball-super-broly-the-1-film-at-u-s-box-office.html

It's topped the North-American box office for its first two days. And it earlier broke box office records in Latin America, where it had one of the strongest opening weekends for any movie in some countries.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's topped the North-American box office for its first two days. And it earlier broke box office records in Latin America, where it had one of the strongest opening weekends for any movie in some countries.

For reasons I'm still not quite sure of Latin folk really do seem to like it especially. The final c ouple of episodes of Super they thousands of people out on the streets. It looked wonderful actually.

@nintendoboy16 said:

So, I finally saw it. Now this is the Dragon Ball theatrical film I'm talking about. :D

Glad you enjoyed it. I love the part where his eye ball literally explodes. It's like microcosm of the ridiculousness and awarenesses of the franchise. Does it make logical sense? Nope. Does it matter? Nope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Just saw the movie, it was awesome! I got everything I wanted out of a dragon ball movie. The action and animation definitely did not disappoint.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I'll pick up the Blu-ray. I'm really glad they brought back Brolly.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup:

Apparently, Latinos also made up about 1/3 of the US audience for DB Super on opening day, with Latinos being the largest audience for the movie in the US.

In other news, DB Super surpassed expectations in North America, at #3 over the weekend and grossing about $22 million by Sunday, becoming the biggest anime movie since the first two Pokemon movies. Despite getting a limited release, with a very high per-screen average. It could've done even bigger numbers if it got a wide release.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

Nice vid that goes into the animation/animators bit by bit.

Loading Video...

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

I thought it was great. The animation was fantastic, there were some fun humorous moments (looking at Frieza and Paragus) and it left me wanting more. I am very interested in how canon Broly plays impacts future story arcs. My only disappointment would be in the lack of UI.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

20th Century Fox is distribuiting this stateside?

Wow, was not aware of that. Never got into Dragon Ball, but it's cool that a U.S. studio is helping to put this in theaters for fans.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jag85

In just a weekend, DBS Broly became the third highest-grossing anime film ever in the US, and one of the top ten highest-grossing foreign films ever in the US, despite getting a limited release. This movie did some incredible per-screen average numbers at the box office last weekend. Funimation should've given this movie a wider release, and invested more in marketing, because they clearly underestimated the demand for DBS Broly.