Donating to Charity.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Do you guys ever donate your hard earned cash to a good cause? Ever even give your change at a gas station for it?

I'm sure everyone has at least a little. Name some of your favorite places to donate money to.

Mine are:

Susan G Komen for the cure (breast cancer research)

The American Red Cross. ( They help people around the world too. )

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I've given to planned parenthood because I believe in their mission to save lives.

I've also given to the local humane society.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

RSPCA.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

When going shopping, I see one of those Christmas charity donors outside, ringing there bells, I always donate $2 dollars and I honestly hope it helps to those who needs it. To tell you the truth, I don't trust those donation jars at the gas stations, I always assumes the clerks take some of that money and sometimes trying to be phony about those donation jars.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheHighWind

@davillain- said:

When going shopping, I see one of those Christmas charity donors outside, ringing there bells, I always donate $2 dollars and I honestly hope it helps to those who needs it.

Yeah, I've donated and worked for The Salvation Army.

@thegerg said:

You dobyou, but the Komen foundation is pretty much bullshit. There are charities out there that dedicate much more of their money to real causes.

I admit, I didn't research them much. Also, I had to beg them to take me off their mailing list. It was annoying.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts

@TheHighWind said:
@davillain- said:

When going shopping, I see one of those Christmas charity donors outside, ringing there bells, I always donate $2 dollars and I honestly hope it helps to those who needs it.

@thegerg said:

You dobyou, but the Komen foundation is pretty much bullshit. There are charities out there that dedicate much more of their money to real causes.

I admit, I didn't research them much. Also, I had to beg them to take me off their mailing list. It was annoying.

Even salvation army focuses highly on pushing evangelical causes like opposing gay rights instead of just focusing on charity

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38671 Posts

donated to a few different places over the years

march of dimes

american heart assoc.

lustgarten foundation

local aspca / local united way

national parks foundation

wikipedia ( not a charity but worthwhile imo )

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Worked for two different charity organisations. But oddly enough, no - I never actually physically donated money to a charity outside of telling the till operator to keep the penny change because I can't be assed to wait for them to fish it out after handing them a fiver.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#10 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Yes, I donate to churches and various charitable organizations.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheHighWind

@Sandulf29 said:
@TheHighWind said:
@davillain- said:

@thegerg said:

Even salvation army focuses highly on pushing evangelical causes like opposing gay rights instead of just focusing on charity

That's grade A bull crap because thousands of kids who don't get a Christmas get one from The Salvation Army. Yeah some of their pastors are against gays but not many preachers are pro gay rights anywhere you go.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts
@TheHighWind said:

That's grade A bull crap because thousands of kids who don't get a Christmas get one from The Salvation Army. Yeah some of their pastors are against gays but not many preachers are pro gay rights anywhere you go.

I am not talking about deliverance as I know satisfying everyone is hard and I don't even care what their stance on gay rights are and what propaganda they spread which is expected of any of the religious organizations (everyone expects some form of return, be it religious beliefs even). My issue lies the the way handle the donated funds to fund protests and lobbying LGBT issues over the world and even threatening to close all soup kitchens in NYC. I am not seeing all people working at Salvation Army are bad. I know most people by themselves are usually nice even if they don't share your opinion, but I can't say the same for the organization for its methods. You may or may not support certain topics but that doesn't exempt one from laws or bend them

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I've never given large amounts of money to anyone. I usually drop in coins and a couple of dollars to the red kettle people or donated old clothing to goodwill.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Yeah I donate to charities sometimes.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58270 Posts

I'm fine with donating my time and goods, but I am not a fan of sending money for a few reasons. Obviously some money, no matter how few cents-per-dollar make it through, is worth a lot to people with nothing, but the sheer inefficiency at which people are helped makes me feel my money is best spent elsewhere.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheHighWind

@Sandulf29 said:
@TheHighWind said:

I am not talking about deliverance as I know satisfying everyone is hard and I don't even care what their stance on gay rights are and what propaganda they spread which is expected of any of the religious organizations (everyone expects some form of return, be it religious beliefs even). My issue lies the the way handle the donated funds to fund protests and lobbying LGBT issues over the world and even threatening to close all soup kitchens in NYC. I am not seeing all people working at Salvation Army are bad. I know most people by themselves are usually nice even if they don't share your opinion, but I can't say the same for the organization for its methods. You may or may not support certain topics but that doesn't exempt one from laws or bend them

Fair enough.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I give some of every paycheck to Make a Wish, comes directly out of my pay. Plus I give a portion of my earning to my church every month which not only provides for the Church's needs but also pays for education and the food pantry it runs.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

I've worked for a charity/service thing over in a foreign country, some other community work too and I donate but not all the money makes it through . .

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I started go to Light the Night Walk every year donating to Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I get to wear a cool survivor cape and talk to my nurses and doctors. Our team raises about $10,000 on average each year.

I also donate via humble bundle if that counts.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I prefer to volunteer my time than my money, since money is something I can just get more of. Time is something I can never get back. And when I do give money, I prefer to do so anonymously.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Very rarely. I don't like giving cash or money out. But I'll donate food, clothes, toys, blood and on a bone marrow registry.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I do donate to charity. I also do volunteering work.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

If I'm a charity, I can keep go around collecting money to feed starving kids, keep 90% for my own troubles, then give the rest to starving starving kids. Fucking love charity. With everyone out to screw you I find it probably better spent money to give it to the people on the street asking for it, not that "would you like to add a dollar to blah blah blah" stuff.

I will donate to a save endangered African animals fund if they promise to hire an army of child soldiers to fend off poachers, haven't seen one of those yet, it's usually just cheap chocolate bars or buy this stuffed animal made in China to save elephants and stuff.

I do give to the kids who sell stuff, Girl Scouts and stuff to help fund their activities. Though, I've noticed in my neighborhood since moving to California this phony high school newspaper scam thing going door to door saying if they can sign people up to LA Times they'll get money for college. We opted out since we already had a subscription, they wanted me to write them a voided check for the subscription (with my account and routing number at the bottom), not to mention these kids came back the next year and I told them to **** off. I actually once got a kid at the door like "I need money to take drivers education this summer so I can stay off the streets and not live a life of crime"... I was ready to slam the door in their faces when the women in the house said "wait I'll buy something... how much is it?" ... "$20 a box" ... "**** you $20!!" I also notice kids down here sell the same chocolate schools make kids all around the country sell, except they sell it for twice the listed price and pocket the excess themselves, I refuse to buy that candy.

I used to like giving to the same homeless people, the guy who sang outside my apartment in the morning, the guy that'd ask for an "extra $8" so I'd give up that $1 easier, the guy that I'd see at my favorite dive who only wanted a side of pancakes or buscuits and gravy to snack on, the crack whore who'd always panhandle outside my work, my apartment, and surprisingly the same bus line I took too and from work, that guy who keeps saying his car broke down he's form out of town and if you can help him get gas he can get home and mail you the money back.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Besides a couple of sporadic donations here and there, I do have a montly fee drawn out as a donation to "Doctors Without Borders."

It helps with paying administrative funds and hopefully medicine and equiptment for them, and I get a small tax reduction.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@jdiggle said:
@Serraph105 said:

I've given to planned parenthood because I believe in their mission to save lives.

I've also given to the local humane society.

I doubt Planned Parenthood saves lives. They aren't exactly running emergency rooms (though they may from time to time botch an op and have to send one of their patients to one) or fighting Ebola, or separating Craniopagus-conjoined twins like that team at John Hopkins did in '87.

They do in fact save lives. It's mostly preventative treatment (which is cheaper) so it's not pulling out all the stops at the last second, but many lives are saved thanks to Planned Parenthood. You can read some of the stories yourself if you wish.
http://plannedparenthoodsavedme.tumblr.com/

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

The thing is, I don't trust charities, local or international. I've seen enough malpractice and blatant theft from both no to trust them with a shekel. As such, I give money directly to families in dire need, and I do so on monthly basis. It's not always much, but it makes me sleep better at night knowing that I'm doing my part in terrible times.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

Actually donated some non-perishable goods at my college today for some impoverished families that need supplies for the holidays. Our school has a Christmas tree style shelve set up in the atrium. But school ends today for the fall semester, and I kinda felt sad that it was barely half full. So I went to the grocery store across the street and picked up some rice, cookies and ketchup to put on the shelf.

It was a small contribution, but it felt good regardless :)

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@TheHighWind said:

Do you guys ever donate your hard earned cash to a good cause? Ever even give your change at a gas station for it?

I'm sure everyone has at least a little. Name some of your favorite places to donate money to.

Mine are:

Susan G Komen for the cure (breast cancer research)

The American Red Cross. ( They help people around the world too. )

I have given so much to Goodwill, toys, clothes, furniture, tv's. Even donated a car once. I also give to a school at Christmas time, kinder kids at schools, my work gives presents, we buy them wrap them up, they deliver them. Its for poor kids, who's parents cannot afford. I was once one of them myself, so i know how much that is appreciated.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I gave a quarter to a homeless man once.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Red Cross/Red Crescent, Salvation Army

I also spend a number of weekends picking up trash all day by the freeways/highways in the middle of nowhere.

Edit:

I occasionally give spare change to some homeless woman who hangs out outside of our subdivision, holding a "Will work for food" sign. Some neighbors say she has a decent car hidden nearby. But, meh. I don't mind getting rid of coins (nickels and pennies).