Does Blair Witch 2 Book of Shadows deserve the hate?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I would say this movie is almost universally hated it's a big departure from the first film by dropping the found footage aspect. Some of the characters can come off as being to edgy it was early 00's though so that is not to surprising. As for the story most people hated it I liked it at the time I don't love it but I don't hate it either. The most interesting thing about it is this movies original script was ALOT different and some people prefer it after hearing the premise it was more psychological take here's good video explaining it.

Anyways do you think the movie deserves the hate?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I have not paid any attention to Blair Witch anything in the year of 2022, no trailers no controversies that I'm aware of.

I will say though: I love movies, and I tend to find reasons to like or respect movies and what they're going for, more than finding reasons to dislike them. With that said, The Blair Witch Project was one of those rare movies I genuinely hated and could not stand how annoying the whole thing was.

I guess I haven't paid any attention to this franchise in 2022, because it's just not worth my time.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56029 Posts

Only the Blair Witch movie remake 2016 & the video game 2019 are the only thing I got involve with this franchise and after playing the game, I lost interest in the franchise and I haven't heard anything about it this year so can't say much else. (I might need to replay the game since it's still on GP)

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Been watching both movies on Peacock too?

The first was lightning in a bottle and it was well done especially with the relatively "new" internet and the promotion and what not online surrounding the film. The second was released soon after and obviously it was trying to ride the coat tails and understandably so. Calling it interesting is how I look upon it.

Edit: Wasn't there a third film in the series as well?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16877 Posts

Not interesting enough to hate, it left my memory the minute the credits hit. Can't remember much of it, honestly.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

Funny, I actually considered giving it another viewing as I saw it on Hulu (I think) the other day. Last time I saw it was in theaters back when it originally released and I never bothered since.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

No idea. I've only ever seen the original.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

I couldn't even finish the first movie. Nothing but that annoying chick screaming and crying. Horrible movie.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I never watched it but I despise the first one. It was a mediocre student film that for some reason became a huge thing. It was crap.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

It had some memorable bits like the "house" it was set in but overall it was a pretty mediocre film at best. Dropping the found footage format wasn't necessarily a bad idea but 2 was just a lame horror film overall. Some of the acting was pretty uneven. I remember the Sheriff's lines came off as particularly cheesy and over-the-top. The overall quality of even the production didn't feel like it lived up to what you'd expect to a well funded follow-up to a very popular film.

Blair Witch 1 kind of caught lightning in a bottle and its popularity was certainly helped by the marketing keeping things deliberately ambiguous about whether it was supposed to be fiction or actual "found footage" because at the time this was kind of a new concept (a few films had tried it before but they didn't really try to pass the footage off as real in a meta-marketing campaign). Obviously the sequel wouldn't be able to rely that gimmick again so I understand them changing format and I don't blame the movie being bad on that. I also didn't think the meta-narrative aspect where the first movie was a movie in the universe of the second movie was terribly interesting, either.