Does Alcoholics Anonymous actually work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I have a friend who has been attending AA meetings recently because he was ordered to do so in some fashion after getting a DUI (for the record I don't know if that means he was given a true option or made to attend or "choose" jailtime) and the whole thing has got me thinking about whether or not AA works and if sobriety is even the intended outcome of the program. Below I've listed the famous 12 steps and below that are my relatively disorganized thoughts on the program having looked into it for the first in any in depth manner.

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understoodHim.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take a personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Here are some of my thoughts on the matter,

First up, as many have pointed out, there's a whole lot of God involved throughout the 12 steps (6 direct references and 7 if you count #2), I'm not sure how this is supposed to appeal to athiests such as my friend.

If alcoholism is a disease then why does AA treat it simply as a matter of will power? I wouldn't try to treat cancer with prayer alone, and there are various medical treatments for alcoholism.

There is also a stigma of personal failure when people relapse which doesn't make sense for a couple of reasons. First if it's a disease then people are sick which means that blaming them for not being able to control their health adds a layer of shame which can only do harm to the person's primary goal of getting sober due to the increase in time that it would take to get over that shame before starting again. Shame does nothing to help get a person back on track as far as I can tell. Second, you would never assign blame to a person with cancer who has gone into remission and then had the cancer come come back, why would we do the same for literally any other illness?

Finally AA does not collect statistics of their success and failure rates, nor has it's program changed since it's inception. We wouldn't accept that from any other sort of treatment. If we didn't collect that information we would still have the same poor treatment of HIV that we did in the 80s and 90s, same goes for cancer, and just about any other illness you can name. I will say that talking about your issues with people is a good thing, but as far as I can tell that's just about the only thing that that this program gets right, everything else seems to be heavily flawed if not outright illogical.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

AA worked for some of my family members, including my Dad. It worked so well I credit it with changing the course of our entire family for generations. Alcoholism is a HUGE problem, one of the worst in America. It can tear families and lives apart. It's a shame people don't take it more seriously.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105

@todddow said:

AA worked for some of my family members, including my Dad. It worked so well I credit it with changing the course of our entire family for generations. Alcoholism is a HUGE problem, one of the worst in America. It can tear families and lives apart. It's a shame people don't take it more seriously.

I definitely agree that we need to take alcoholim more seriously, and for the right person AA can probably work and I'm very glad it worked for your dad. That said I think it's safe to say that AA is a flawed program in many ways and it doesn't seem to be doing anything to evolve and change those flaws. I don't mean to come across as a jerk by the way, that's not the point of why I'm saying this. The reason is that I'm concerned for my friend that he's not attending a program that will help him, but he's being made to attend it simply because it's so ingrained in the public zietgeist that people (including his parents) believe simply must work, while not realizing that it has many flaws and AA as program isn't trying to improve those flaws.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Todddow

@Serraph105 said:
@todddow said:

I definitely agree that we need to take alcoholim more seriously, and for the right person AA can probably work and I'm very glad it worked for your dad. That said I think it's safe to say that AA is a flawed program in many ways and it doesn't seem to be doing anything to evolve and change those flaws. I don't mean to come across as a jerk by the way, that's not the point of why I'm saying this. The reason is that I'm concerned for my friend that he's not attending a program that will help him, but he's being made to attend it simply because it's so ingrained in the public zietgeist that people (including his parents) believe simply must work, while not realizing that it has many flaws and AA as program isn't trying to improve those flaws.

I honestly don't know how or what AA does today or if it's different than decades ago when my Dad went. If there is a better option for your friend, I'd try to find it. I'm glad you care about the issue though, most people don't even recognize alcoholism as a legit problem, but it is HUGE.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Much is misunderstood about addiction and this misunderstanding is embedded structurally in our culture at multiple levels.

1. Everyone needs Dopamine, in fact Dopamine makes life worth living. If we try to remove everything that gives us Dopamine, from drugs to work, then life will not be worth living.

2. People who become addicted to Dopamine (real and actual addiction not just convinced that they are) have a history of being abused or traumatized. As a result they look for escape from the pain thru pleasure of which they need more of then what is healthy.

3. To know if you might have a problem ask yourself this question 'am I doing this because its awesome and fun or am I doing it to avoid doing other things I know I will have to get around to before long'. the latter doesnt mean you are an addict, but its a sign you might be if you have those feelings all the time.

OP: your right in your assessments. 1,. the court should not be requiring (under any condition) for a person to submit to a god even by proxy. 2. If it is an actual disease then they need to treat it medically, and to call something a disease and to NOT treat it medically just screams of Cult to me

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Todddow

@tryit said:

Much is misunderstood about addiction and this misunderstanding is embedded structurally in our culture at multiple levels.

1. Everyone needs Dopamine, in fact Dopamine makes life worth living. If we try to remove everything that gives us Dopamine, from drugs to work, then life will not be worth living.

2. People who become addicted to Dopamine (real and actual addiction not just convinced that they are) have a history of being abused or traumatized. As a result they look for escape from the pain thru pleasure of which they need more of then what is healthy.

3. To know if you might have a problem ask yourself this question 'am I doing this because its awesome and fun or am I doing it to avoid doing other things I know I will have to get around to before long'. the latter doesnt mean you are an addict, but its a sign you might be if you have those feelings all the time.

OP: your right in your assessments. 1,. the court should not be requiring (under any condition) for a person to submit to a god even by proxy. 2. If it is an actual disease then they need to treat it medically, and to call something a disease and to NOT treat it medically just screams of Cult to me

Are there medical treatments for alcoholism? Honest question. Or do they just hand out super expensive pills and hope it makes you stop drinking, like modern American medicine likes to do in general?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TryIt

@todddow said:
@tryit said:

Are there medical treatments for alcoholism? Honest question. Or do they just hand out super expensive pills and hope it makes you stop drinking, like modern American medicine likes to do in general?

I dont think that there is.

and addiction is not really a disease for the reasons you illustrated.

If I was your friend I would be insulted by the State requiring me to join a religious group.

If I had tons o money I would take them to court over it

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Serraph105

@tryit said:
@todddow said:
@tryit said:

If I was your friend I would be insulted by the State requiring me to join a religious group.

Regarding medical treatments this is what I have found. EDIT. Also in regards to my friend, s I said, I don't know the full details of his situation. It's something that I don't feel entirely comfortable bringing up just yet.

According to WebMD there three medicines approved by the FDA and a fourth that is showing promise in clinical trials that help with the treatment of alcoholism. Those drugs are Antabuse, Naltrexonem, Campral, and Topamax. These are meant to be used in combination with various therapies and potentially AA, however it's simply untrue that medicines don't exist. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/fighting-alcoholism-with-medications#1

EDIT Removing a paragraph.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TryIt

@Serraph105 said:
@tryit said:
@todddow said:
@tryit said:

Regarding medical treatments this is what I have found.

According to WebMD there three medicines approved by the FDA and a fourth that is showing promise in clinical trials that help with the treatment of alcoholism. Those drugs are Antabuse, Naltrexonem, Campral, and Topamax. These are meant to be used in combination with various therapies and potentially AA, however it's simply untrue that medicines don't exist. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/fighting-alcoholism-with-medications#1

Regarding your last statement I would disagree wholeheartedly. People shouldn't be acting on false information to get help. If your program promises it can help and it's promise is only based upon, "Well at least we got people to try something" even though what is offered is ineffective then that's not actually a success. What needs to be offered is something that has an actual high success rate and if not new solutions should be researched and tried.

what do you mean you 'disagree with my last statement'

you think the State SHOULD be mandating to people to join groups that are religiously based?

That is a violation of separation of church and state in my mind.

regarding medications, I was not aware that there were any, that is intresting.

so do they have medications for work addiction? or should we just outlaw work because its addictive?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Go to an AA meeting if you want to understand better what it is.

“God” isn’t what you are thinking it is LOL. It’s just admitting you are powerless and submitting “to a higher power as YOU understand it”.

You don’t actually do any god worshipping at these meetings LMAO

All the AA groups I have been too actively promote NOT to bring up religion, politics or any of that BS.

It’s more about creating a community of alcoholics who can become friends to help each other. It is a support system. If you are a complete loser in life, AA will help you because you all have a common goal(To be sober).

You share stories. You feel amazing afterwords.

Getting a “sponsor” aka a superfriend you can talk to who basically goes through the steps with you on a personal level is a massive help. They teach you, give you a shoulder to cry on and kick your butt when you need it.

Plus they usually have free coffee. Go to a meeting for better understanding. It’s only an hour of your life.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Serraph105

@tryit said:
@Serraph105 said:
@tryit said:
@todddow said:
@tryit said:

Regarding medical treatments this is what I have found.

According to WebMD there three medicines approved by the FDA and a fourth that is showing promise in clinical trials that help with the treatment of alcoholism. Those drugs are Antabuse, Naltrexonem, Campral, and Topamax. These are meant to be used in combination with various therapies and potentially AA. https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/fighting-alcoholism-with-medications#1

Regarding your last statement I would disagree wholeheartedly. People shouldn't be acting on false information to get help. If your program promises it can help and it's promise is only based upon, "Well at least we got people to try something" even though what is offered is ineffective then that's not actually a success. What needs to be offered is something that has an actual high success rate and if not new solutions should be researched and tried.

what do you mean you 'disagree with my last statement'

you think the State SHOULD be mandating to people to join groups that are religiously based?

That is a violation of separation of church and state in my mind.

regarding medications, I was not aware that there were any, that is intresting.

so do they have medications for work addiction? or should we just outlaw work because its addictive?

My mistake, I'm having this conversation on two different forums and I did a copy/paste thinking that I only copied the stuff about medicine.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Serraph105

@stuff238 said:

lol I'm trying to better understand AA with research as opposed to attending. I get that just going to one would be helpful in this quest and I may yet, but I've been looking into this only for two days at this point so please go a little easy on me.

“God” isn’t what you are thinking it is LOL. It’s just admitting you are powerless and submitting “to a higher power as YOU understand it”.

That's fair, however as I have looked into the pdfs of the twelve steps on AA's website it largely seems to drop the "as you understand it" as the text get's more in-depth. Obviously there are many groups throughout many countries that do not all work together as a single entity so I wouldn't expect it all to be handled the same way, but I do expect each to be using roughly the same text that's the program is based on. Perhaps that's not as true as I believe.

All the AA groups I have been too actively promote NOT to bring up religion, politics or any of that BS.

I don't assume it's about worship so much as light (emphasis on light) discussion of what God wants you to do. Again, could be wrong, you say that you have gone, have you witnessed discussion on this?

It’s more about creating a community of alcoholics who can become friends to help each other. It is a support system. If you are a complete loser in life, AA will help you because you all have a common goal(To be sober).

And that I'm all for, or at least without the labeling of people as losers. I find that part to be counter-productive, but whatever.

Excellent, that I knew and I'm very much in sync with.

Getting a “sponsor” aka a superfriend you can talk to who basically goes through the steps with you on a personal level is a massive help. They teach you, give you a shoulder to cry on and kick your butt when you need it.

Plus they usually have free coffee. Go to a meeting for better understanding. It’s only an hour of your life.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TryIt

@stuff238 said:

you have to understand when the State mandates by law that you are required to attend the meeting and you are an atheist, the very mention of 'god' by the organizations very principles is highly offensive to anyone who is of thinking person.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I'm ten months clean myself and I can safely say I never attended an AA meeting nor do I think it would have helped me. Most of what AA is about seems, frankly, like BS to me and I don't think I could have ever gotten behind their agenda, in large part because of the heavy religious element. I also very much dislike the part about telling alcoholics they're not in control. While I realize that many of them rationalize their behavior by telling themselves they're in control of it, I think a very big part of recovery is learning to be in control and taking ownership of things. Someone before mentioned cults, and like the number one thing cults do is try to break down your independence so that you can submit to their directives.

Anyway, I was just reading an article a while ago that was saying that AA works very well for people with a certain mental makeup, people who more easily follow commands and authority. For those who don't, going to AA is usually a series of constant relapses. If it works for you fine, but there should definitely be more alternatives and it should definitely not be mandated by the government.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TryIt

@theone86 said:

I'm ten months clean myself and I can safely say I never attended an AA meeting nor do I think it would have helped me. Most of what AA is about seems, frankly, like BS to me and I don't think I could have ever gotten behind their agenda, in large part because of the heavy religious element. I also very much dislike the part about telling alcoholics they're not in control. While I realize that many of them rationalize their behavior by telling themselves they're in control of it, I think a very big part of recovery is learning to be in control and taking ownership of things. Someone before mentioned cults, and like the number one thing cults do is try to break down your independence so that you can submit to their directives.

Anyway, I was just reading an article a while ago that was saying that AA works very well for people with a certain mental makeup, people who more easily follow commands and authority. For those who don't, going to AA is usually a series of constant relapses. If it works for you fine, but there should definitely be more alternatives and it should definitely not be mandated by the government.

the relgion part is the deal breaker for me.

that said, I think there is a lot of wisdom in the serenity prayer itself.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

I mean, I look at the steps and there's so much I disagree with. Me, personally, I never felt like my life was unmanageable, just that alcohol made things harder than they had to be. That, and some of the people I know who went through AA don't seem to take all of these steps to heart. The one person that comes to mind doesn't seem to have "taken serious moral inventory," if anything he just went from being irreligious to beating everybody over the head with religion. Like I said, if it works it works, but I don't think we should treat rehab as a one size fits all type thing.

That being said, a lot of the people who go through the program can be pretty insightful. I tend to like the advice some of them give more than I like anything in the program itself, the serenity prayer being one of those things. That being said, I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote it stole it from Buddhism.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TryIt

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

I mean, I look at the steps and there's so much I disagree with. Me, personally, I never felt like my life was unmanageable, just that alcohol made things harder than they had to be. That, and some of the people I know who went through AA don't seem to take all of these steps to heart. The one person that comes to mind doesn't seem to have "taken serious moral inventory," if anything he just went from being irreligious to beating everybody over the head with religion. Like I said, if it works it works, but I don't think we should treat rehab as a one size fits all type thing.

That being said, a lot of the people who go through the program can be pretty insightful. I tend to like the advice some of them give more than I like anything in the program itself, the serenity prayer being one of those things. That being said, I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote it stole it from Buddhism.

in my dream world of infinite money and no fear if I was ordered by a court to go to AA I would take the State to court and have them prove scientifically that its an addiction, that AA works on that scientifically proven addiction and have them explain how the religion aspect does not interfere with separation of church and state.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@todddow said:

There are medications such as disulfiram (causes side effects if alcohol is consumed), acamprosate and naltrexone (if opioids are used as well and can reduce cravings for alcohol). Other drugs like baclofen, ondansetron and topiramate have been used but they're more expensive and are off-label so you won't generally see them used.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

It works for alot of people.....lifesaver for many

honestly, it isn't about religion at all, your higher power could be a cat for all that matters...or a mouse. They don't preach religion despite God mentioned in the tenants. Have you guys attended the meetings? I was never unlucky enough to have the alcohol gene, but I know plenty of people who have, and I have sat through meetings because the basic tenants can be applicable to other problems, hence other Anonymous groups.

Point is, it works for ALOT of people, so if it doesn't for oneself look elsewhere. It does a lot of good.

One of the most important life lessons from the Big Book is concentrating on things you can control, and not worrying about the many things that you can't.

deadlyxxsinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deadlyxxsinn
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

an addiction is an addiction in my books no stopping it

wanted_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wanted_police
Member since 2003 • 684 Posts

I do not know if AA works, however reading the comments above I can see the benefit of having a support network. If your friend isn't finding it helpful, he can try something different that has helped a lot of people break out of addictions - finding something different, new, more meaningful to do with their time & life instead of sticking to their old habits and relapsing. Change of environment and friends (who may be contributing to the addiction) can help. Does your friend have any passions in life, things that he wants to do, achieve, experience, play sports? Something that brings him out of himself, or allow him to not think about himself and his drinking? Other than that, psychoanalysis can be a great tool that can also help.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AFBrat77

@stuff238 said:

This guy nailed it perfectly, I couldn't have said it better.

This is what AA is about, many of the others here obviously haven't attended, are overanalyzing the "God" part, or lack the willpower to do it and want an exscuse to write it off.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TryIt

@AFBrat77 said:
@stuff238 said:

This guy nailed it perfectly, I couldn't have said it better.

This is what AA is about, many of the others here obviously haven't attended, are overanalyzing the "God" part, or lack the willpower to do it and want an exscuse to write it off.

there is no 'over analyzing the god part' when talking about the serenity prayer, when the State court has mandated to you that you must attend these meetings.

would the same group claim that AA can work even if you do not have faith in god? If I go to an AA meeting TONIGHT and ask them that what will they say?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AFBrat77

@tryit:

It's a higher power, not necessarily any particular god. It's just a vehicle to lift the burden, nothing more.

AA works for many, I've seen that for myself. If it doesn't work for some, they can move on.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TryIt

@AFBrat77 said:

@tryit:

It's a higher power, not necessarily any particular god. It's just a vehicle to lift the burden, nothing more.

WTF is a 'higher power'?

a volcano?

I mean first off its not 'a higher power' its explicitly 'god' and its explicitly 'a prayer' and there is explicitly a separation of church and state

second off I have no friggin clue what 'a higher power' really means

and third off, you are saying its ok for the goverment to require people to worship a 'higher power';

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AFBrat77

@tryit:

A higher power can be an ant if you want it to be.

Anything you said after that needs to be referred to the explanation I quoted from "stuff". You likely haven't been to a meeting, he and I certainly have.

God was merely used in earlier times, long snice changed that meaning.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TryIt

@AFBrat77 said:

@tryit:

now I am even more confused as to what that even means.

so if I go to an AA meeting tonight and tell them 'i would refuse to submit to a god or a higher power will this still work for me?'

you are saying they would say yes?

feel free to explain 'higher power' to me as well.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#28 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I've always viewed it as a form of religious indoctrination. What better way to recruit people to religion than preying on them when they're at their lowest thinking they need a god in order to improve their lives. They need the idea of god, which is why they'll say "a higher power can be whatever you want it to be".

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I attend one of the ___________ Anonymous programs and it works for me.

I think, like most things, it works better if you take it seriously and put work into it. It's also really nice to have a sponsor, someone you can call, text, email to bounce your thoughts off of. You attend these meetings and you can either sit and listen, or share whatever you want, but no matter what you are going to hear something that echoes your own experience, and...well I don't know how to explain it: it's like hearing someone else genuinely express your deepest, most secret thoughts, beliefs, and problems. You're going to think "holy shit, are they spying on me!?" but, no, it's just someone with your same exact problem (if not worse).

There is something incredibly reassuring about that. Furthermore, there are no judgments. It's a "judgement-free zone" and for a brief hour or so I even feel free from my harshest critic, which is of course myself.

As for the whole "higher power" bit, it's a non-issue. Yes, it's in the official script. No, you don't have to pray, believe in God, or whatever.

@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@tryit:

now I am even more confused as to what that even means.

so if I go to an AA meeting tonight and tell them 'i would refuse to submit to a god or a higher power will this still work for me?'

you are saying they would say yes?

feel free to explain 'higher power' to me as well.

They would say "whatever helps you out". Seriously, man, it was one of my first questions and they said it doesn't matter, just work something in there. Just believe in gravity or the laws of physics or something. It seriously does not matter.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

See my comments in quotes.

@Serraph105 said:

I have a friend who has been attending AA meetings recently because he was ordered to do so in some fashion after getting a DUI (for the record I don't know if that means he was given a true option or made to attend or "choose" jailtime) and the whole thing has got me thinking about whether or not AA works and if sobriety is even the intended outcome of the program. Below I've listed the famous 12 steps and below that are my relatively disorganized thoughts on the program having looked into it for the first in any in depth manner.

Here are some of my thoughts on the matter

First up, as many have pointed out, there's a whole lot of God involved throughout the 12 steps (6 direct references and 7 if you count #2), I'm not sure how this is supposed to appeal to athiests such as my friend.

It does not have to be God. As I said in another post, it just has to be something you believe in. The laws of physics, the power of love, there are aliens out there, whatever. An atheist can attend and it would work for them.

With that said, there is the occasional born again, and they tend to be aggressive in their spirituality.

If alcoholism is a disease then why does AA treat it simply as a matter of will power? I wouldn't try to treat cancer with prayer alone, and there are various medical treatments for alcoholism.

There are medical treatments for alcoholism, and in super serious cases where withdrawel would kill someone, these medical treatments should be sought out. But for others, the psychological therapy of an ___________ Anonymous meeting works.

In fact, many of these medical treatments would encourage people to also seek support from a ___________ Anonymous program.

As for cancer, I don't think you'd treat it with prayer alone. However, if prayer get's you through the tough times, the pain, then pray away because a positive state of mind has been proven many times to aid in recovery. And isn't that what AA is about: recovery?

There is also a stigma of personal failure when people relapse which doesn't make sense for a couple of reasons. First if it's a disease then people are sick which means that blaming them for not being able to control their health adds a layer of shame which can only do harm to the person's primary goal of getting sober due to the increase in time that it would take to get over that shame before starting again. Shame does nothing to help get a person back on track as far as I can tell. Second, you would never assign blame to a person with cancer who has gone into remission and then had the cancer come come back, why would we do the same for literally any other illness?

There is shame, but again, _________ Anonymous helps with this by encouraging people to not be ashamed. Relapses do happen, and are often inevitable, and people will welcome you back with open arms. Your sponsor will call, ask you why you haven't been to a meeting, if you have that kind of relationship.

Finally AA does not collect statistics of their success and failure rates, nor has it's program changed since it's inception. We wouldn't accept that from any other sort of treatment. If we didn't collect that information we would still have the same poor treatment of HIV that we did in the 80s and 90s, same goes for cancer, and just about any other illness you can name. I will say that talking about your issues with people is a good thing, but as far as I can tell that's just about the only thing that that this program gets right, everything else seems to be heavily flawed if not outright illogical.

I don't think they should collect statistics.

First, I don't think anyone is out there saying that AA is a 100% success rate. In fact, it's kind of pointless because there is no such thing as a recovered alcoholic, only recovering alcoholics.

Second, AA is not a clinical process. It's group therapy. That's it. You go in, listen, talk, get help from people who have it worse than you, and so forth. It should not be held to the same standards as actual medical treatments because it is not one.

Not sure how to phrase this, but you can't take AA super serious like you need to take cancer treatments, or medicine for other things. But at the same time, those taking cancer treatments would also be seeking therapy and so forth, often in the form of group therapy.

Likewise, with alcoholism (or other addictions), the actual treatment comes from within, from your own mind. But there is the group therapy to aid you.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 theone86

@tryit said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@theone86 said:

in my dream world of infinite money and no fear if I was ordered by a court to go to AA I would take the State to court and have them prove scientifically that its an addiction, that AA works on that scientifically proven addiction and have them explain how the religion aspect does not interfere with separation of church and state.

Yeah, I think our collective understanding of addiction is, at best, flawed. I really dislike the tendency of people to treat it like a disease, like something they just "caught" by chance and that they have no control over. To divorce the conditions in which they became addicted entirely from their addiction is missing the point in a spectacular manner. Of course, no one in our society seems to ever want to talk about many of the contributing factors to addiction (financial issues, lack of free time, overworking, etc.)

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@theone86 said:

Yeah, I think our collective understanding of addiction is, at best, flawed. I really dislike the tendency of people to treat it like a disease, like something they just "caught" by chance and that they have no control over. To divorce the conditions in which they became addicted entirely from their addiction is missing the point in a spectacular manner. Of course, no one in our society seems to ever want to talk about many of the contributing factors to addiction (financial issues, lack of free time, overworking, etc.)

Regardless of whether or not AA is an effective treatment program for alcohol addiction, I think it has been pretty well established that addiction is a disease. Also, the conditions in which the disease was acquired are sort of irrelevant when it comes to whether or not it actually is a disease. Some people get diabetes through years of deliberate poor eating habits. That doesn't mean that diabetes isn't a disease. Some people get lung cancer because of years of heavy smoking. They didn't just "catch" lung cancer, they got it as a result of poor lifestyle choices. Does that mean that lung cancer isn't a disease?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theone86

@MrGeezer said:
@theone86 said:

Regardless of whether or not AA is an effective treatment program for alcohol addiction, I think it has been pretty well established that addiction is a disease. Also, the conditions in which the disease was acquired are sort of irrelevant when it comes to whether or not it actually is a disease. Some people get diabetes through years of deliberate poor eating habits. That doesn't mean that diabetes isn't a disease. Some people get lung cancer because of years of heavy smoking. They didn't just "catch" lung cancer, they got it as a result of poor lifestyle choices. Does that mean that lung cancer isn't a disease?

Define disease, and established by who?

There is one thing I like about terming it a disease, and that's that people can't just turn it off. It has gotten people to realize that it's not some moral failing or character flaw that people can just overcome with grit, for the most part. However, like I said, it tends to make people infantilize them, to treat them as if they're completely helpless, which is the opposite of recovery should be about. It also drives people to look for an easy cure and, since diseases are typically dealt with pharmocologically, that cure usually excludes changing the conditions which led to the "disease" being contracted in the first place. Combine these two things, and you get a society that actively ignores the addict experience while simultaneously searching for a way to "cure" addicts, not a great combination.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@theone86 said:

Define disease, and established by who?

There is one thing I like about terming it a disease, and that's that people can't just turn it off. It has gotten people to realize that it's not some moral failing or character flaw that people can just overcome with grit, for the most part. However, like I said, it tends to make people infantilize them, to treat them as if they're completely helpless, which is the opposite of recovery should be about. It also drives people to look for an easy cure and, since diseases are typically dealt with pharmocologically, that cure usually excludes changing the conditions which led to the "disease" being contracted in the first place. Combine these two things, and you get a society that actively ignores the addict experience while simultaneously searching for a way to "cure" addicts, not a great combination.

You're politicizing the word. You feel uncomfortable with the results of recognizing it as a disease. I understand that. Regardless, it radically changes how the brain and the body function, it can't just be turned off, and in certain cases the physiological effects can be so severe that you can DIE if you stop taking the drug. That sounds like a freaking disease to me.

Now, to be clear...not all people who drink too much are ADDICTS. Some people are not addicts, they simply need to exercise more self-control. Also, most addicts can MANAGE their addictions with self-control (among other things). But that has nothing to do with whether or not it's a disease. Hell, you could say the same thing about lots of other diseases. Some bacterial diseases may be cured with antibiotics, and someone might be inclined to say that simply curing the disease with antibiotics doesn't exclude the conditions which led to the disease being contracted in the first place. And...okay. That's a fair point but it's got nothing to do with whether or not it's a disease. I hear that leprosy is curable. And if I keep on getting leprosy then clearly I'm doing something wrong in my life. But it's also clearly a freaking disease. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. You can recognize something as a disease while also recognizing the conditions that lead to the disease being contracted. In fact, I'd wager that that's usually more the way thins are normally handled. I regularly see PSA's about getting flu vaccinations and staying home when getting sick. It's advised to use condoms. It's advised to keep conditions sanitary and exercise proper hygeine, especially when living with potentially disease-spreading pets. It's also advised to STOP SMOKING, which is a preventative measure in order to prevent DISEASE. As far as I can tell, MOST diseases aren't viewed as "well, since it's a disease, I'll just be careless and then get the cure if I catch it." Just my anecdotal experience, which doesn't count for much, but I see a LOT of talk about disease prevention. I definitely don't think that recognizing something as a disease just makes people say, "well, f*** it, since it's a disease I'll just get it cured later."