Do you uses self service checkouts ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you uses self service checkouts ? (43 votes)

Yes 67%
No 16%
Unexpected item in the bagging area 16%

I always do. But my wife hates them as she thinks they are putting people out of jobs.

• 
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Unexpected item in the bagging area

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/20032.gif

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Only if the line is shorter. And the cashiers have customers that loaded their shopping carts with tons of stuff.

Cashiers seems to do a faster job when they are not backed up. And its a more personal experience.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No, I go there to buy their shit. I expect them to put me through the till and bag my shit. Otherwise, give me a name tag and pay me.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@jak42 said:

Only if the line is shorter. And the cashiers have customers that loaded their shopping carts with tons of stuff.

Cashiers seems to do a faster job when they are not backed up.

This. Whatever gets me out of there the quickest.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

@SOedipus said:

No, I go there to buy their shit. I expect them to put me through the till and bag my shit. Otherwise, give me a name tag and pay me.

But what if vagisil is the only thing that clears up your conjunctivitis?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@bfa1509: why would someone use a feminine product for conjunctivitis? And what do those two things have to do with self checkout?

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Lol .... Dude, thats funny. But yes, i also do if the line is way shorter. I try not to, it always has issues. Computers are not that great at that part yet. And there is always someone needing to be monitoring 4 automatic check outs, and when one has an issue, he cannot help the others. I think they need to be make as many real people checkouts as necessary.

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

@SOedipus said:

@bfa1509: why would someone use a feminine product for conjunctivitis? And what do those two things have to do with self checkout?

You don't seriously expect all those poor men out there who rely on female-specific products for use off-label to clear their embarrassing illnesses to use a manned checkout desk do you? What if something like this happens:

Loading Video...

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

If I don't have stuff from the produce or baking section that involves weighting shit or putting in codes, I prefer self-checkout.

as a neurotic person I always feel like cashiers are judging me for my purchases.

I don't really see the putting people out of jobs thing as a issue in this case. Who wants to work as a cashier/bagger

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Hell, no! If they're not going going to knock 10% off my purchase, why the Hell am I gonna bag my own shit up? I'm giving a business the honor of taking my money in exchange for goods; now I gotta ring my stuff up with the busted-ass scanner, chagre me extra for a damn bag, then have the greeter check my receipt--when he was less than 5 feet away, giving me some side-eye, watching me bag up my own damn load of bread...like I'm smuggling a 65 inch hdtv under my damn shirt or something.

Whoever came up with this idea needs a brick upside his damn head.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxINJzqzn4w

Expresses my opinions on self-checkout perfectly.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

...why the Hell am I gonna bag my own shit up?

That's...actually why I use them. I get to check that everything gets bagged, gets bagged properly and that my eggs don't get put on my bread .

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

The purpose of customers using self-service checkouts if you have like less then 5 items in your hands and just want to get out fast is what it's good for. I like to say I find them to be very annoying, the damn machine talks too damn much, acts like I'm a first grader using it when I already know what and how it works for the past 7 years! The machine can't take raggedy bills for some reasons when the cash is still good and most of all, the people using them are slow as hell.

I'm gonna come and say that I rather just go to the nearest checkout cashiers cause they know what there doing and take my half-torn bills with no problems.

By the way TC, your wife is right, it is taking people's job in a way. Self-service machines are already taking over, in the few more decades, we could see no more cashiers if we as Humans don't stop being lazy and let the workers do the work for us when we go shopping.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nope, never use it..never will..why?..give the companies more excuse to open up less manned checkout.. & hire less people. Wanna end up going to shopping one day..with no one to greet you except a robot voice..screw that. :P

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

depends on the store, walmart is ALWAYS packed with customers with a million items in their shopping carts

i don't really like self checkout, that stupid robot thing always calls that manager to look at my thingsl ol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes, because I hate meaningless small talk.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yes I use them pretty much all the time, unless it's obvoius I'll get out quicker using another till.

I do have a few moans about them though

- people you use them for a week's shopping, they end up taking nearly 20 minutes because when scanning so many items they run into problems causing the cashier to have to come over several times.

- when it's busy, someone using them to buy booze, there is normally one attendant on to watch over about 20+ machines so they will hog a machine for a while waiting for authorization.

As you can tell I'm quite inpatient

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Can't believe you guys have people to bag your groceries...that's so decadent :p Do you also have someone following you around the supermarket so you can point at products and they put them in your cart?

But yeah, I always do self checkout whenever possible. I'm normally faster at scanning products than the cashiers anyway and even if I do go to them they won't bag my stuff :p

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

If I don't have stuff from the produce or baking section that involves weighting shit or putting in codes, I prefer self-checkout.

as a neurotic person I always feel like cashiers are judging me for my purchases.

I don't really see the putting people out of jobs thing as a issue in this case. Who wants to work as a cashier/bagger

Ah, someone who thinks like me lol!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@korvus said:

Can't believe you guys have people to bag your groceries...that's so decadent :p Do you also have someone following you around the supermarket so you can point at products and they put them in your cart?

But yeah, I always do self checkout whenever possible. I'm normally faster at scanning products than the cashiers anyway and even if I do go to them they won't bag my stuff :p

I cant tell if that's sarcasm from the :p or if you're being super serious and adding that for humour.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

Hell, no! If they're not going going to knock 10% off my purchase, why the Hell am I gonna bag my own shit up? I'm giving a business the honor of taking my money in exchange for goods; now I gotta ring my stuff up with the busted-ass scanner, chagre me extra for a damn bag, then have the greeter check my receipt--when he was less than 5 feet away, giving me some side-eye, watching me bag up my own damn load of bread...like I'm smuggling a 65 inch hdtv under my damn shirt or something.

Whoever came up with this idea needs a brick upside his damn head.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@GTR12: I was being serious. The ":p" was a nod at the lazy bums who get their groceries bagged for them ;)

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I've never really thought about it; I tend to just go to the shortest queue...

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Not quite sure if that's self checkout, but here in Switzerland you get a device to scan your products as you buy them. So you can already put it in the bags the way they should be the very moment you take it off the shelves. My checkout is pretty much transfering the data from the handheld device to the payment terminal and paying for it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@davillain-: those self service checkout machines need to made, programmed shipped to stores and need to be maintenaned.

They might create more jobs than they take away

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Todddow

@ArchoNils2 said:

Not quite sure if that's self checkout, but here in Switzerland you get a device to scan your products as you buy them. So you can already put it in the bags the way they should be the very moment you take it off the shelves. My checkout is pretty much transfering the data from the handheld device to the payment terminal and paying for it.

You guys must have some good folks. Here in the states, there are too many dirty thieves.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArchoNils2

@todddow said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

You guys must have some good folks. Here in the states, there are too many dirty thieves.

Yeah the crime rates are really low. We also have a lot of small shops directly at some farms. Those are usually small houses with a few fridges where you can buy stuff dirctly from the farmers. There is nobody working there. You just walk in, take what you like, calculate how much it costs and leave the money there. This is only possible when (almost) nobody is around stealing stuff ^^

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b797108c254e
@todddow said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

You can still get randomly selected for getting your bags checked when you are making your payment. Doesn't happen often but it also deters people want to sneak in some free items.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ArchoNils2

@korvus said:
@todddow said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

You can still get randomly selected for getting your bags checked when you are making your payment. Doesn't happen often but it also deters people want to sneak in some free items.

Oh hellow fellow swiss person :D Yeah it's true, there are some checks. But I haven't had one in the past half year (probably much longer, i don't remember really), so they become pretty rare as time goes on. I think it's mainly newcommers they check regulary.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Todddow

@ArchoNils2 said:

Yeah the crime rates are really low. We also have a lot of small shops directly at some farms. Those are usually small houses with a few fridges where you can buy stuff dirctly from the farmers. There is nobody working there. You just walk in, take what you like, calculate how much it costs and leave the money there. This is only possible when (almost) nobody is around stealing stuff ^^

Man, that sounds cool. I love me some fresh, organic, locally farmed foods, too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@ArchoNils2: I'm Portuguese living in the Netherlands, but we have the same system here :D When I moved here I would get "randomly" searched every single time (you know those foreigners...thieves, the lot of them :p) but now since they know who I am they don't search anymore.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Almost always, yes.

1. It's faster.

2. Items are bagged more coherently/correctly/to my preference.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

As much as I can if I less than 10-15 items or so. Much faster.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ArchoNils2

@todddow said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

Man, that sounds cool. I love me some fresh, organic, locally farmed foods, too.

Yeah it's really awesome, you can get the stuff the same they they actually farm it, it's pretty awesome.

@korvus said:

@ArchoNils2: I'm Portuguese living in the Netherlands, but we have the same system here :D When I moved here I would get "randomly" searched every single time (you know those foreigners...thieves, the lot of them :p) but now since they know who I am they don't search anymore.

I'm not sure it has to do with race. At the beginning they do take you out more. But they try to spin it in a "in a case you do something wrong the can explain it to you" way. Once you use the service for some time they barely take you out if ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

We don't have those around here.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Prefer self checkout. Place I usually shop got rid of them except for 10 items or less so that pissed me off. Looking for a new place to shop. I like my things bagged in a certain way and most cashiers **** it up.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts

Only if all the other lanes are busy.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I avoid it like the plague.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

No because the self checkout can’t read my ID I have to deal with a human to get liquor.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@SOedipus said:

He's clearly making a joke about "what if you have to buy a product that you might find personally embarrassing to have to purchase?" He's not literally suggesting that you should rub Vagisil in your eyes.

As to the point, that's a valid one. If someone is embarrassed about one of their purchases, self-checkout gives you an "interaction-less" option for buying such products.

As for self-checkout in general, I'm not against it. Yes, there is a degree of job redundancy that occurs as a result but that's true of all automation and I don't believe in impeding progress just to do things the way we have always done them. I don't think checkers will go away completely (at least, not until "self checkout" gets way more advanced than you basically doing the job of checkout yourself) and even if a given chain switched to all self-checkout, that would just incentivise those who dislike it to shop elsewhere.

Self-checkout can go pretty quick once you get the hang of it. There's a rhythm to it, and if you go too fast you make the process go slower.

-Byshop

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Pretty much all the time. I normally don't buy over 5-10 items when I go to target or Walmart so I go straight to self-checkout to take care of my transaction.....

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I feel that way about other customers, specifically the ones in front of me and behind me. I am overweight, so I put butter on the counter to buy, and I think the people around me are like "Oh yeah, like you need butter, buddy".

But I just say in my head "Bitch, butter is a staple. I'm not eating whole sticks of butter, I use a little bit here and there". I mean I use olive oil most of the time which, at like 130 cal per tablespoon, is actually more calorie rich than butter at 100, but has more health benefits. But what's the alternative? PAM and a nonstick pan? No thanks, I'd rather have a heart attack than cancer.

As for the topic, I will use them if I have like a handful of items or I am in a hurry. But honestly 90% of the time I go to the store it is to stock up for the week so I have a full cart, it's just worth it to me to wait in line and have someone bag it.

@Byshop said:
@SOedipus said:

As for self-checkout in general, I'm not against it. Yes, there is a degree of job redundancy that occurs as a result but that's true of all automation and I don't believe in impeding progress just to do things the way we have always done them. I don't think checkers will go away completely (at least, not until "self checkout" gets way more advanced than you basically doing the job of checkout yourself) and even if a given chain switched to all self-checkout, that would just incentivise those who dislike it to shop elsewhere.

If cashiers were better at their job, I might care, but right now the only redeemable employee at the grocery stores I go to are the baggers, and there simply are not enough of them. I generally bag my stuff, anyway, because I feel bad for the cashier and the people behind me.

What they really need to do is set up the areas so they can bag as they scan, like put a little platform at knee level so they can put a bad at their left side and just put items in as they scan; right now they scan then shove them down the conveyer out of reach.

F1FTH3L3M3NT33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By F1FTH3L3M3NT33
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Yes I do if I have a few item like between 1-10 items otherwise I don't and go to a regular register.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Yes, if:

• I don't have any produce
  • Regular lines are filled up