Do you think there is life after death?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

But my mother just told me that there is no life after death and that this life is probably all there is. So who should I believe, you or my mother?

pariah3

Are you 4 years old?

No.

In the case you're serious,you're just some dumb kid,sorry.

She just thinks that.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Are you 4 years old?

No.

In the case you're serious,you're just some dumb kid,sorry.

She just thinks that.

GreekGameManiac

She doesn't just think that. She is my mother and she will always tell me my truth. And if she tells me there is no life after death then I believe her because well, she's still my mother and she always wants what's best for me.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

ofc

quake heroes are needed in the after life as well
i can feel it
rapha knows this

why else would the best quake live dueler be super religious

dhat

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 GreekGameManiac

She doesn't just think that. She is my mother and she will always tell my truth. And if she tells me there is no life after death then I believe her because well, she's still my mother.

pariah3

You're naive,dumb,brainwashed kid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-58061ea11c905

You're naive,dumb,brainwashed kid.GreekGameManiac

No I'm not a naive and brainwashed kid. I just believe what my mother told me and she will never lie to me. And there really is no evidence for life after death because no one really came back from death and told me that this is his second (or even 3rd) life.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#56 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

i honestly wouldn't be surprised if either happened. whether you just slept a dreamless 'sleep' (not concious at all) as it were, or if there is..... something. else.

but regardless of that, i think it's more important and useful to focus your effort and time in the concious life you have now. 

but getting cought up in the what if's of the afterlife is just wasting time, nobody really knows when it comes to that metaphysical question, lots of religions, myths, philosophers and scientists have given their answers. What people can only tell you is what they observe the bodyis doing during and after death and that's about the closest and best we'll get until we all eventually meet our ends.... 

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]You're naive,dumb,brainwashed kid.pariah3

No I'm not a naive and brainwashed kid. I just believe what my mother told me and she will never lie to me. And there really is no evidence for life after death because no one really came back from death and told me that this is his second life.

Yes,you are a naive,dumb kid.

"Oh i listen to my mommy"

God,.you sound like a little 4 years old,honest.

rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

do i believe so certainly? no

do i hope so and ponder the possibility? yes

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

[QUOTE="pariah3"]

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]You're naive,dumb,brainwashed kid.GreekGameManiac

No I'm not a naive and brainwashed kid. I just believe what my mother told me and she will never lie to me. And there really is no evidence for life after death because no one really came back from death and told me that this is his second life.

Yes,you are a naive,dumb kid.

"Oh i listen to my mommy"

God,.you sound like a little 4 years old,honest.

What the **** What is this? Daycare? Grow the heck up!

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 GreekGameManiac

What the **** What is this? Daycare? Grow the heck up!

MetalDogGear

Well,he/she must be a kid(is)if he/she listens to her/his mommy like that.

That's being naive and stupid,.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-58061ea11c905

Well,he/she must be a kid(is)if he/she listens to her/his mommy like that.

That's being naive and stupid,.GreekGameManiac

Why is listening to what your parents are saying naive and stupid? My parents will never lie to me and I believe they will always tell me the truth until the day that I die.

I would much rather listen to my parents are saying rather than to some stranger on the Internet.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]Well,he/she must be a kid(is)if he/she listens to her/his mommy like that.

That's being naive and stupid,.pariah3

What if listening to what your parents is naive and stupid? My parents will never lie to me and I believe they will always tell me the truth until the day that I lie.

I would much rather listen to my parents and what they are saying rather than to some stranger on the Internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfC4u5GCy3I
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Nope.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I believe in reincarnation where you can potentially be reborn after thousand or so years through natural means, perhaps into a different life form, but remember nothing of this life. As for an afterlife like Heaven or Hell, no I don't. When you die, I consider it a dreamless sleep where your current conscious get's formatted til the next time you are reborn. Your entiire experience and memories in this life is erased....

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

I believe in reincarnation, so...

If you don't get reincarnated, is there such a thing as hell? No. After you die, that's it.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Nobody knows, there is no way anybody can. So, anybody who claims they do is a damn liar.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-58061ea11c905

Nobody knows, there is no way anybody can. So, anybody who claims they do is a damn liar. TheWalkingGhost

Of course we can know. We can know everything through science and especially physics because everything must obey the laws of physics.

If only our society put more value on science and especially physics instead of on religious mysticism then we wouldn't be in the bad situation we are now.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]Nobody knows, there is no way anybody can. So, anybody who claims they do is a damn liar. pariah3

Of course we can know. We can know everything through science and especially physics because everything must obey the laws of physics.

If only our society put more value on science and especially physics instead of on religious mysticism then we wouldn't be in the bad situation we are now.

Case in point. Science cannot explain what is not observable, it can tell us what happens to our bodies after we die, but that is not the issue. The question is what happens to us, our thoughts, memories and what makes us who we are. That cannot be answered as sciences ability to study these things ends after our body decomposes.

What do we see after we die? Can we move about? How can these be answered when there is zero way to observe them? They can't be, why is this so hard to understand? There are just some things we have accept we can never fully know, and that is one of them.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
Only one way to find out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-58061ea11c905

What do we see after we die? Can we move about? How can these be answered when there is zero way to observe them? They can't be, why is this so hard to understand? There are just some things we have accept we can never fully know, and that is one of them.TheWalkingGhost

You guys are making a lot of unsubstantiated statements. Of course we can know what happens after death.

There is a body farm in Tennessee where they do experiments on human corpses and they see what happens to them after death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tennessee_Anthropological_Research_Facility

And we can also do experiments on animals and insects and so we can see what happens to them after they die. It's called animal testing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_testing

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]What do we see after we die? Can we move about? How can these be answered when there is zero way to observe them? They can't be, why is this so hard to understand? There are just some things we have accept we can never fully know, and that is one of them.pariah3

You guys are making a lot of unsubstantiated statements. Of course we can know what happens after death.

There is a body farm in Tennessee where they do experiments on human corpses and they see what happens to them after death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tennessee_Anthropological_Research_Facility

And we can also do experiments on animals and insects and so we can see what happens to them after they die. It's called animal testing:

lol
To the body
Not ze mind

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Yes.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]What do we see after we die? Can we move about? How can these be answered when there is zero way to observe them? They can't be, why is this so hard to understand? There are just some things we have accept we can never fully know, and that is one of them.pariah3

You have to be the dumbest person in OT right now. That is the body, which is not the question.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

wow :lol: i can't believe how sad some people here are lol

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TheWalkingGhost

GrayF0X786
Sad because we answer an honest question? Ok........
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

GrayF0X786
ot is ot full of emo scrubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-58061ea11c905

You have to be the dumbest person in OT right now. That is the body, which is not the question.TheWalkingGhost

But what if the body and mind are one and the same at the molecular and atomic level? We don't know whether body and mind are truly seperate things because for all we know they could be one and the same at the molecular or atomic scale.

There was a thread about this in sci forums:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?130712-Does-the-brain-really-quot-cause-quot-consciousness&highlight=physicalist

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]You have to be the dumbest person in OT right now. That is the body, which is not the question.pariah3

But what if the body and mind are one and the same at the molecular and atomic level? We don't know whether body and mind are truly seperate thingsp because for all we know they could be one and the same at the molecular or atomic scale.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?130712-Does-the-brain-really-quot-cause-quot-consciousness&highlight=physicalist

Exactly. We don't know, and it doesn't seem like we ever really will. Right now, death is the ultimate mystery we won't know all the answers to until we die...And as the saying goes, dead men tell no tales.
Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

Nobody knows. Nobody will ever know. The only ones that do know are the ones that are already dead...

There could be heaven and hell, there could be reincarnation, or maybe the after life is just one big DMT trip, or it simply really is the end. Or what ever the after life is, is too complex and alien for our tiny minds to even comprehend. We probably wont even understand it even if it hits us in the face.

People will believe what they want. What ever helps them sleep at night. A time will come when we all find out the truth. But until then....

YOLO.

:P

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]You have to be the dumbest person in OT right now. That is the body, which is not the question.pariah3

But what if the body and mind are one and the same at the molecular and atomic level? We don't know whether body and mind are truly seperate things because for all we know they could be one and the same at the molecular or atomic scale.

It really doesn't have anything to do with our atomic structure
Its a philosophical concept for the most part

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#81 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

no life

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

I like the thought of being in heaven alongside the Christian God. Oh, what I would do to dance around with him and the millions of murderers that repented before they died. :cool:

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
I doubt it, but I'm still thinking about it. What amazes me, tho, is the fact that I'm alive now.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

When you're dead, you're dead. Sleeping but never waking up

wis3boi
Pretty much. consciousnesses is the product of our brain, once our brain stops working there's no more consciousness. I do think death will be like a never ending deep sleep without the ability to dream.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

You are your brain. Your personality, your memories, your thoughts, and everything else that defines you are products of your brain. So, once your brain ceases to function you cease to exist. Adios, amigo!

BluRayHiDef

Unless you consider the simulation theory in which case there is a possibility of life after death.

Blue_Shield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Blue_Shield
Member since 2010 • 2610 Posts

You mean aside from being worm food?

Probably not.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

You are your brain. Your personality, your memories, your thoughts, and everything else that defines you are products of your brain. So, once your brain ceases to function you cease to exist. Adios, amigo!

tenaka2

Unless you consider the simulation theory in which case there is a possibility of life after death.

That theory doesn't have much credibility, I wouldn't bet on it.
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

nope

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

PernicioEnigma

That theory doesn't have much credibility, I wouldn't bet on it.

Its reasonable enough.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/

ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a posthuman stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

No I dont think there is life after death.

But maybe I am just being hard on myself. I do think the concept is very comforting.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
that's way too simple to be true.GreekGameManiac
And that's exactly why it most likely is the case.
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

If you don't get reincarnated, is there such a thing as hell? No. After you die, that's it.

th3warr1or
Aren't you Jewish ?
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
Who know?.. but I don't think so.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

imo and experinces life seems like a hugh class room. everyday we are tested through free will. our choices seem to grant us heaven and/or hell on Earth... so i suspect this place is a journey of some sought. Magnificant beings born to die, but why? its been said that we are falling angels sent here to re-learn responsibility. who really knows,especially when the dead tells no tales. that said, i liken death to dreaming...your mind ventures elsewhere except now its exposed to the full essense of the astral universe. so what ever energies you were used to dealing with in life will be experienced a whole lot more in death....because thats all you were used to dealing with. if we are only here for a minute...i rather spend it positive and fair. doaen't hurt at all being on the safe side...its actually benificial for self and others.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

No. That's why its called death.

XDeSuEhTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 XDeSuEhTX
Member since 2004 • 11191 Posts

I think yes, there probably is. Not life in the sense of what we experience now, but we will never cease to exist. I think the paranormal is proof of a plain of existance after we die, I do believe the dead communicate with the lving. Nothing made of matter perishes, you cannot destroy an atom. Our minds and/or "spirits" are a collection of energy and that energy doesn't just vanish when we die, it obviously goes somewhere, becomes something else...

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]

BossPerson

Aren't you Jewish ?

Don't Jewish there was life after death?

Avatar image for deactivated-59913425220eb
deactivated-59913425220eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-59913425220eb
Member since 2002 • 1772 Posts
Yes Sir. Only two places to dwell, heaven or hell.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I'm convinced there is something after death. No idea what though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 deactivated-58061ea11c905

If our brain really does create our mind then life after death is impossible.

In Wikipedia they write:

Eternal oblivion, or simply oblivion, is the philosophical concept that the individual self "experiences" a state of permanent non-existence ("unconsciousness") after death. Belief in oblivion denies the belief that there is an afterlife (such as a Heaven, Purgatory or Hell), or any state of existence or consciousness after death.

The belief in "eternal oblivion" stems from the idea that the brain creates the mind; therefore, when the brain dies, the mind ceases to exist. Some reporters describe this state as "nothingness".[1][2]

Many people who believe in an eternal oblivion, believe that the concept of an afterlife is scientifically impossible. Such views are typically held by atheists.[3][4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_oblivion