Do you think the US embassy should aid the blind chinese dissident?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Apparently, there is a blind activist in China that has been under house arrest for quite some time. He fled to the US embassy and stated that his human rights were being violated and that he was being inhumanely treated by China. He eventually elected to return to China, but now wants the US to get him and his family out. Should the US help him or should they avoid meddling in China's affairs? If his human rights are being violated, is it an obligation of other nations to assists or not to meddle?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

He returned to China, he can stay there. Not a US problem.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Apparently, there is a blind activist in China that has been under house arrest for quite some time. He fled to the US embassy and stated that his human rights were being violated and that he was being inhumanely treated by China. He eventually elected to return to China, but now wants the US to get him and his family out. Should the US help him or should they avoid meddling in China's affairs? If his human rights are being violated, is it an obligation of other nations to assists or not to meddle?

sonicare

America has a poor human rights record, and the last thing it would want to do is piss off the chinese.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

No poll, I am disappoint.:P

This is a tough call that the State Dept. will have to mull over.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
It's really not any of your business imo.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 topsemag55

It's really not any of your business imo. horgen123

Brrr...that's cold.:P

cold heart

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I think it would look good but could hurt our relations with China.

The last thing we need right now is bad relations to ruin China's economy. That would have a global effect that would be devistating.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

In order to seek asylum, he would have to be on US soil. He voluntarily left the embassy, so I guess they have no obligation at this point. However, what would the ethical thing to do, be?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 topsemag55

In order to seek asylum, he would have to be on US soil. He voluntarily left the embassy, so I guess they have no obligation at this point. However, what would the ethical thing to do, be?

sonicare

I don't believe there would be much the embassy could do, if the Chinese gov't decides to block our access to him.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

topsemag55

I don't believe there would be much the embassy could do, if the Chinese gov't decides to block our access to him.

But should we raise the issue with them or just do what everyone else does and look the other way?
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

He was safe but he left under his own accord. Now we're supposed to go and cause problems for ourselves in order to undo what he did himself?

Nope, sorry bud.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

He was safe but he left under his own accord. Now we're supposed to go and cause problems for ourselves in order to undo what he did himself?

Nope, sorry bud.

Jackc8
If he had stayed at the embassy, though, what should we have done?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

sonicare

But should we raise the issue with them or just do what everyone else does and look the other way?

Look the other way, as harsh as it may sound. This guy isn't worth the international incident.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
The guy is blind, being treated inhumanely and you want to give him AIDS? Damn, son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="topsemag55"]

Pirate700

Look the other way, as harsh as it may sound. This guy isn't worth the international incident.

I'm split. On the one hand, you'd like to see people stand up against perceived injustices. On the other, you'd also like to see nations allowed to handle their own business. I wouldnt want some other nation trying to dictate what we do at home.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 topsemag55

But should we raise the issue with them or just do what everyone else does and look the other way?sonicare

Not trying to sound callous, just mentioning other issues.:P

If the Chinese offered a better monetary exchange rate versus the dollar, Geithner and Congress might lean toward that, since both sides of Congress want that, and they could say leave the dissident alone for the better rate.

If the Chinese want to keep this guy bad enough, they might even say they'll buy more US debt. Who knows what they might do?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pirate700

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"] But should we raise the issue with them or just do what everyone else does and look the other way?sonicare

I'm split. On the one hand, you'd like to see people stand up against perceived injustices. On the other, you'd also like to see nations allowed to handle their own business. I wouldnt want some other nation trying to dictate what we do at home.

To me, if it doesn't affect us, this issue isn't worth getting into. Let China deal with their own people. China is a great economic ally and this one guy isn't worth making headlines over. The US will probably take a beating in the media regardless though. If we did bring him back in, the US would just get blasted for interfering.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

sonicare

The ethical thing?

Hmm I guess one of the american embassy staff could tell him he was taking him to the embassy, but instead just lead him to a random alley and tell him he is safe.

This would both please the chinese government and give the individual a temporary feeling of safety and security.

Morally its the best option.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Send in Seal Team 6
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Walk the talk.....

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
I think we should. He's clearly being treated unfairly for having an opinion, it should be the U.S.'s job to help those being wrongly treated. Who cares of China doesn't like it.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Yes I do. He returned to China because he feared for his family's safety. It would be good for the US's public image and perhaps continue the movement of change within the Chinese government in regards to how they treat their citizens.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

The less pragmatic, more idealistic part of me wishes we would have. That ship has sailed.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Who cares? Listen we can't save them all and we cant be in everyone's business. The last thing we need to do is start issues with a country, who for the most part we get a long with and do a ton of business with.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I've heard that if he makes it to Florida he can stay.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toxic-Seahorse

Who cares? Listen we can't save them all and we cant be in everyone's business. The last thing we need to do is start issues with a country, who for the most part we get a long with and do a ton of business with.

xscrapzx
Seeing as China backs North Korea, one of our biggest enemies, the relationship isn't all that good. They just understand that they need the U.S. to keep their economy strong and the U.S. needs them to do the same. Taking in this man, who is clearly being treated unfairly for voicing his opinion, would be the right thing for the U.S. to do. China isn't stupid enough to cut or reduce trade with the U.S. it would be the death of their economy.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Should China receive Bradley Manning as a refugee in a similar situation? A consequent person would answer both equally, a hypocrite would answer them differently.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse

Should China receive Bradley Manning as a refugee in a similar situation? A consequent person would answer both equally, a hypocrite would answer them differently.kuraimen
lmfao, no. The 2 situations are nothing alike. The man in China DID NOT betray his country. He DID NOT give information to the enemy. He DID NOT use his status to steal military secrets. You'd have to be delusional to think the two situations are even remotely similar. The man in China was being punished for speaking his mind, Manning is being punished for betraying the U.S. and giving away military secrets which he illegally obtained. Please tell me how the two situations are anything alike.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Should China receive Bradley Manning as a refugee in a similar situation? A consequent person would answer both equally, a hypocrite would answer them differently.Toxic-Seahorse
lmfao, no. The 2 situations are nothing alike. The man in China DID NOT betray his country. He DID NOT give information to the enemy. He DID NOT use his status to steal military secrets. You'd have to be delusional to think the two situations are even remotely similar.

According to the chinese he betrayed his country or is it up to the US to constitute what betrayal means?
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Should China receive Bradley Manning as a refugee in a similar situation? A consequent person would answer both equally, a hypocrite would answer them differently.kuraimen
lmfao, no. The 2 situations are nothing alike. The man in China DID NOT betray his country. He DID NOT give information to the enemy. He DID NOT use his status to steal military secrets. You'd have to be delusional to think the two situations are even remotely similar.

According to the chinese he betrayed his country or is it up to the US to constitute what betrayal means?

Please, tell me how speaking out against an awful regime is betraying your country. Seriously. One can speak out against his country's awful government and still love his country. A country is more than its government. This is a case of common sense. Using China's extremist rules to justify a point is stupid.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kuraimen
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] lmfao, no. The 2 situations are nothing alike. The man in China DID NOT betray his country. He DID NOT give information to the enemy. He DID NOT use his status to steal military secrets. You'd have to be delusional to think the two situations are even remotely similar.

Please, tell me how speaking out against an awful regime is betraying your country. Seriously. This is a case of common sense. Using China's extremist rules to justify a point is stupid.

For many people including me Manning was speaking against and exposing the awful american government specially their disgusting foreign policy. Is a case of perception. In both cases I side with the citizen who wants to expose a bad government for what they are.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Toxic-Seahorse
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] According to the chinese he betrayed his country or is it up to the US to constitute what betrayal means?

Please, tell me how speaking out against an awful regime is betraying your country. Seriously. This is a case of common sense. Using China's extremist rules to justify a point is stupid.

For many people including me Manning was speaking against and exposing the awful american government specially their disgusting foreign policy. Is a case of perception. In both cases I side with the citizen who wants to expose a bad government for what they are.

I'm all for exposing governments, but he obtained the info illegally, he didn't even know what he was downloading. He put the U.S. troops in danger by giving those documents out. The cases are nothing alike and shouldn't be compared. Maybe if Manning just spoke out against the government you could compare them, but that's not the case.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Plenty of american citizens being mistreated, human rights violated, and corruption to deal with. He left the embassy because he feared for his wife's life. He LEFT them behind in order to escape to a embassy that would have NO WAY to get him out of the country without potential violent conflict. Leave him to his decision making. Also if you want to really point a finger? Point it to the total idiot friends he had that made sure everyone knew he was at the embassy.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

aid him whilst denying they know of his whereabouts

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Should China receive Bradley Manning as a refugee in a similar situation? A consequent person would answer both equally, a hypocrite would answer them differently.kuraimen
mhm [QUOTE="kuraimen"] For many people including me Manning was speaking against and exposing the awful american government specially their disgusting foreign policy. Is a case of perception. In both cases I side with the citizen who wants to expose a bad government for what they are.

I agree.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kuraimen
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Please, tell me how speaking out against an awful regime is betraying your country. Seriously. This is a case of common sense. Using China's extremist rules to justify a point is stupid.

I'm all for exposing governments, but he obtained the info illegally, he didn't even know what he was downloading. He put the U.S. troops in danger by giving those documents out. The cases are nothing alike and shouldn't be compared. Maybe if Manning just spoke out against the government you could compare them, but that's not the case.

Illegality depends on each and every country. In China doing what that guy did was illegal so basically he spoke illegally. In the end it depends on the law of each country to define what is illegal and on the perception of each group of people and of each government to define what constitutes betrayal. You can't expect every country and nation to go by the american definition of betrayal and law, the chinese have their own and the US has its own. In my view both governments are trying to limit freedom of speech and access to information to maintain their control over different populations and in both cases I see that behavior as reprehensible and people like Manning and the chinese dissident as true heroes that are not afraid to step up for what they believe. I would hope more common people to be like them but usually people are naive enough to defend their government of turn on all the crap they do.
c0kemusheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 c0kemusheen
Member since 2012 • 90 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] For many people including me Manning was speaking against and exposing the awful american government specially their disgusting foreign policy. Is a case of perception. In both cases I side with the citizen who wants to expose a bad government for what they are.kuraimen

Illegality depends on each and every country. In China doing what that guy did was illegal so basically he spoke illegally. In the end it depends on the law of each country to define what is illegal and on the perception of each group of people and of each government to define what constitutes betrayal. You can't expect every country and nation to go by the american definition of betrayal and law, the chinese have their own and the US has its own. In my view both governments are trying to limit freedom of speech and access to information to maintain their control over different populations and in both cases I see that behavior as reprehensible and people like Manning and the chinese dissident as true heroes that are not afraid to step up for what they believe. I would hope more common people to be like them but usually people are naive enough to defend their government of turn on all the crap they do.

Ah another fool, who has no grasp on the current issue at hand. Continue your tirade against big bad America, it's only making you look foolish.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] I'm all for exposing governments, but he obtained the info illegally, he didn't even know what he was downloading. He put the U.S. troops in danger by giving those documents out. The cases are nothing alike and shouldn't be compared. Maybe if Manning just spoke out against the government you could compare them, but that's not the case.c0kemusheen

Ah another fool, who has no grasp on the current issue at hand. Continue your tirade against big bad America, it's only making you look foolish.

Very compelling argument you have there... :roll: