Do you think superhero movies are a passing fad? Do you like most of them?

• 52 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I wish it would stop. Or at least die down to how it was before the turn of the century. Pretty sure that if, for example, the Wachowskis came to Warner Bros. now and told them their idea for The Matrix, the studio heads would ask why there aren't any superheroes in the script and tell them to piss off.

Steven Spielberg:

There will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western. Right now the superhero movie is alive and thriving. I’m only saying that these cycles have a finite time in popular culture. There will come a day when the mythological stories are supplanted by some other genre that possibly some young filmmaker is just thinking about discovering for all of us.

I hope he's right.

All people talk about when it comes to movies are DC, Marvel and Star Wars. I couldn't have a conversation even if I tried.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#2 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think in general, superheros are lame.

there are so many real people who do so many amazing things. Why idolise some fictitious character who does stuff that is beyond the realms of believability?

I can't enjoy 90% of superhero movies because they so inherently stupid. Mush brained entertainment for mush brained people, thats what superhero movies are

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Yeah, this will pass at some point. These things always do. I hope superhero movies don't completely go away, as I enjoy the genre, but right now it is saturated.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I think it depends more on the quality of the movie. I'm not interested in superhero movies either. But, I know many of my relatives are. So, I'm fine with it.

I prefer more conventional humans like Sigourney Weaver in Aliens and Clint Eastwood in spaghetti westerns.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I can't really get into superhero movies. I've watched a couple here and there over the years but they don't really do it for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@crimsonllama said:

how about don't watch them?

You're ignoring the point. I used that Matrix example because these superhero movies are preventing other action, sci-fi, fantasy, suspense and adventure movies from being made. I have no doubt about it. Like CG animated movies killing traditionally animated movies, if it's not about superheroes, isn't Oscar bait and isn't made by a famous, old director, Hollywood is unlikely to green light it. I seldom watch new movies anymore. I'd like to, but there's too much of this dumb stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I prefer more conventional humans like Sigourney Weaver in Aliens

Another movie that would NEVER be made now in the age of superheroes.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

I love the superhero movies. Marvel doesn't oversaturated them only releasing 3 or 4 a year. They are good, unlike DC. DCU could learn from DC animated which are definitely better the Marvel live action .

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

I don't think they are a fad. As long as you have comics, tv shows and the enormous fanbase for superheroes you will have superhero movies. I enjoy superhero movies but I think some of the commentary here is a little over-the-top.

The movie industry has enough variety that there is generally something available for anyone to enjoy. Asking for a type of movie to go away simply because you don't like it is detrimental to the industry as a whole (especially a genre as successful as superhero movies). In getting rid of superheroes there is no guarantee that there will be more movies that are geared towards your personal enjoyment or an increase in quality of other genres. The only guarantee is that there will be less movies and by extension less money being pumped into the industry.

For reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_film

Superheroe Movies by month:

January: N/A

February: Black Panther*

March: N/A

April: Avengers Infinity War*

May: Deadpool 2*

June: Incredibles 2*

July: Antman & the Wasp, Teen Titans Go to the Movies!

August: N/A

September: My Hero Academia: Two Heroes

October: Venom *

November: N/A

December: Spiderman into the Spiderverse, Bumblebee, Aquaman*

3.8% of all movies released in 2018 were superhero movies. The more amazing number is that while Supehero movies only accounted for 3.8% of all releases in 2018 they accounted for 60% of the highest grossing films.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@crimsonllama said:

You're ignoring the point. I used that Matrix example because these superhero movies are preventing other action, sci-fi, fantasy, suspense and adventure movies from being made. I have no doubt about it. Like CG animated movies killing traditionally animated movies, if it's not about superheroes, isn't Oscar bait and isn't made by a famous, old director, Hollywood is unlikely to green light it. I seldom watch new movies anymore. I'd like to, but there's too much of this dumb stuff.

Also just saying dont watch them is a shitty answer that shows the question has not been considered.

If someone goes the movies often, I go weekly because Super Hero films are so popular it means nothing will be released while its on, so you might have a 3-4 week period when literally nothing new is released.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RicanV  Moderator

@ezekiel43 said:
@crimsonllama said:

Your example has no factual support.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@with_teeth26 said:

there are so many real people who do so many amazing things. Why idolise some fictitious character who does stuff that is beyond the realms of believability?

I can't enjoy 90% of superhero movies because they so inherently stupid. Mush brained entertainment for mush brained people, thats what superhero movies are

I'm sure people thousands of years ago said the same about Hercules and whoever. Thing is, humans will always like fictional world saving heroes that can do more than real people. It's something they dream of.

Also I disagree with your opinion. The Dark Knight and The Winter Soldier were quite amazing.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RicanV  Moderator

I believe they also released a Predator remake which bombed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@crimsonllama said:

Your example has no factual support.

It's obvious.

@RicanV said:

I don't think they are a fad. As long as you have comics, tv shows and the enormous fanbase for superheroes you will have superhero movies. I enjoy superhero movies but I think some of the commentary here is a little over-the-top.

The movie industry has enough variety that there is generally something available for anyone to enjoy. Asking for a type of movie to go away simply because you don't like it is detrimental to the industry as a whole (especially a genre as successful as superhero movies). In getting rid of superheroes there is no guarantee that there will be more movies that are geared towards your personal enjoyment or an increase in quality of other genres. The only guarantee is that there will be less movies and by extension less money being pumped into the industry.

For reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_film

Superheroe Movies by month:

January: N/A

February: Black Panther*

March: N/A

April: Avengers Infinity War*

May: Deadpool 2*

June: Incredibles 2*

July: Antman & the Wasp, Teen Titans Go to the Movies!

August: N/A

September: My Hero Academia: Two Heroes

October: Venom *

November: N/A

December: Spiderman into the Spiderverse, Bumblebee, Aquaman*

3.8% of all movies released in 2018 were superhero movies. The more amazing number is that while Supehero movies only accounted for 3.8% of all releases in 2018 they accounted for 60% of the highest grossing films.

What a worthless, stupid list. We're talking about Hollywood blockbusters, not low budget stuff like Tag and Whitney. The blockbuster is SATURATED with superheroes. You've got a 2 million budget movie in there, Eighth Grade. Your list is bloated with so much crap irrelevant to the topic. 4 percent, my butt.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah, most likely. Honestly, if you watch pretty much every MCU movie like I did, back to back, you can tell how similar they are from each other. It does get pretty repetitive and I found myself yawning through a few of the movies.

The MCU movies that I did like though...in no particular order. (Hope I don't forget any.)

All of the Captain America stuff was pretty great. (I thought I wouldn't end up liking them either.)

Iron Man 1 & 2 were good. 3 was terrible imo.

Hulk was OK. Still waiting for a Mark Ruffalo version if that ever happens.

Thor 1 & Ragnarok were good. I didn't care for Dark World.

Both Guardians of the Galaxy's were fun.

Spider-Man Homecoming was good. Looking forward to the sequel.

The first Ant-Man film I thought was really refreshing. (Both Spider-Man & Ant-Man movies are actually because they have more...comedic relief I feel. Compared to the other movies mentioned at least.) Ant-Man & The Wasp I thought was only OK though.

Doctor Strange was really good.

Black Panther I thought was pretty overrated. Andy Serkis was great in it though.

The Avengers movies were good. But I'd say overall the weakest in my opinion would be the first film. Age of Ultron is good and of course Infinity War is great. Thanos is such a great villain.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I don't know, I think superhero movies could be timeless. There are so many amazing characters, both heroic and villainous, to have their story told on the big screen. Granted it helps to focus on a core group (Avengers, for example, or The Defenders, or Justice League) but still, there are a ton of awesome things they can do with it.

As for how prevalent they are? I don't know. People still make Westerns, though not as much as they used to. Superhero movies are also nothing new, going back decades before the MCU was even established.

I think it is not so much that superhero movies are a fad as it is their quality is just so, so, so much better than it has been in the past. Even that straight-to-video Punisher War Zone movie was pretty good.

Still waiting for a Hawkgirl feature film. X-23 could pick up Wolverine's mantle. And so on.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Can't wait until it dies

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

It's a pretty long fad.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@crimsonllama: they play several but if you go weekly you'll run out if new films to see when a big marvel release hits because nothing new releases while its out.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
@with_teeth26 said:

Well said couldn't agree more.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

All movie settings tend to go in a cycle. The post apocalyptic setting was popular some years ago, Disaster movies before that.
Superhero movies right now have lasted so long mostly because the Marvel movies tend to be entwined with each other and because the setting still holds it's popularity, will it still do that 2-3 years from now? Maybe and maybe not.

Personally I don't mind them nor do I mind movies I think looks awful simply because it's not my place to dictate what people should watch and not, I'll simply dictate for myself which I want to give my attention.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

MCU is consistently good. Sony and Fox Marvel is a mixed bag. DC is pretty bad. Even the “good ones” like Aquaman are pretty poor.

No..I don’t think big budget action movies are dead and no I don’t agree that the Matrix would have never been made if it was pitched today. That’s a stupid hyperbole and complete lazy analysis.

If that was true, then explain to me with a straight face how Mortal Engines or Robin Hood was green lit. Or Ghost In the Shell or King Arthur in 2017.

fireman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fireman64
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

Been around for many years. What will be replaced with love stories , cop shows, space movies.. It's all been done.. I must admit I don't watch many new movies.

I'm Hollywooded out..

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

The last Superhero movies I liked was Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

3 out of the top 5 highest grossing movies this year were superhero movies. 7 out of the top 10. Its bigger than ever.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@crimsonllama said:

Movies a business. People like watching superhero movies hence why they are the top grossing, so studios have to please consumers. It's simple, really.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@blackballs:

No not so simple. Big corporation like to make product which build around other product. This mean movie like Spider-Man come out and have video game or app or heavy push on toy or costume. In this cycle said corporation hook in other license to string consumer along. It why Disney make marvel one big universe so seed put in one product lead to next. General customer aren’t aware of psychological aspect of it so they easy to rope along. Others who see bad procduct very smart enough to see what is happening.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I just wish these movies would stop having those scenes at the end of the credits.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#31 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@zaryia: I actually don't mind Batman as much since he is just a strong guy who uses cool gadgets. The Nolan movies are in that 10% of super hero movies I liked.

I watched the first half of the captain America that came before winter soldier and thought it was crap, so I didn't watch winter soldier. Marvel films in general are the main offenders of being really stupid Imo, they all lack any kind of substance from the ones I have seen

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:

Another movie that would NEVER be made now in the age of superheroes.

Edge of Tomorrow came out not too long ago (2014?). I loved that movie. Supposedly, there's an Edge of Tomorrow 2 sometime in the future.

Rogue 1 also fit my criteria. I liked it. Plus, it fitted right in with canon Star Wars.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I don’t know but I’m really loving them myself especially the Marvel ones and am just going to enjoy them as long as I can.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

If you don't like then don't watch them. It's that simple.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RicanV  Moderator

@x_karen_x said:

@blackballs:

No not so simple. Big corporation like to make product which build around other product. This mean movie like Spider-Man come out and have video game or app or heavy push on toy or costume. In this cycle said corporation hook in other license to string consumer along. It why Disney make marvel one big universe so seed put in one product lead to next. General customer aren’t aware of psychological aspect of it so they easy to rope along. Others who see bad procduct very smart enough to see what is happening.

It is that simple. You're delving into some psychological analysis for a topic that doesn't need one. People like what they like and companys will cater to that. There will always be merchandise associated with media if there's a demand for it. As a fan of the original animated Ninja Turtles (late 80's) they made a Ninja Turtle for everything. Here's Raphael as a vampire, Raphael with a new movement, Raphael as a football player, etc. (And yes I had them all including Raphael as an astronaut)

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RicanV  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

TC believes that these superhero movies are somehow taking spots from movies that he likes. Despite the 200+ other movies that were released last year which don't count apparently because of "budget" reasons.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@RicanV:

No it not that simple, sorry. Psychology is the part of marketing which most do not see. For example you have Apple show iPhone everyone can’t wait to buy with their view manipulate by Apple why they must own. (Say up to recent 2017). Internet go crazy about phone everyone pre order the phone, then everyone complain. Complain complain and more complain. Two week later people use phone in same way as last one. Very good marketer know how to manipulate what product is. People told what they should like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@RicanV said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

TC believes that these superhero movies are somehow taking spots from movies that he likes. Despite the 200+ other movies that were released last year which don't count apparently because of "budget" reasons.

Again, your list sucked. Most of the movies were irrelevant. A studio can only produce so many movies in a year. If they make two or three big budget superhero movies, something else is getting passed on. It's logical.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@ezekiel43: I think things are going to take a downturn in popularity once the Avengers saga is wrapped up. Part of this has been this slow build up to this conclusion. Naturally, you're going to see some people jump ship once that story's finished.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RicanV  Moderator

@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Again, your list sucked. Most of the movies were irrelevant. A studio can only produce so many movies in a year. If they make two or three big budget superhero movies, something else is getting passed on. It's logical.

It's not my list. It's a list of all releases in 2018. You saying a movie is irrelevant because you don't like the studio or the budget allocated for that movie is your own personal issue. Is your complaint that your favorite studio is not making more movies? That is a different issue and one you could provide more support for. You could also provide support for any claim you are making rather than "it's logical" or "obvious." Why can't someone enjoy a movie that has a 1 million dollar budget over a movie that has a 100 million dollar budget?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

A "passing fad" that's been around since the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I hope they keep making them, and start doing some with some more obscure characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

It's not my list. It's a list of all releases in 2018. You saying a movie is irrelevant because you don't like the studio or the budget allocated for that movie is your own personal issue. Is your complaint that your favorite studio is not making more movies? That is a different issue and one you could provide more support for. You could also provide support for any claim you are making rather than "it's logical" or "obvious." Why can't someone enjoy a movie that has a 1 million dollar budget over a movie that has a 100 million dollar budget?

You posted it to support your argument. That's why I'm calling it your list. I can't prove it and I don't need to. It IS logical and obvious anyway. One movie gets made, another doesn't. I like low budget movies, but I also want big or epic ones sometimes. Of the dozens and dozens of big budget superhero movies made this century, I wonder how many could have been different projects that I may have bothered to watch.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@ezekiel43: I don't like superheroes as a concept. A few of the movies have been OK over the last 20 years, but not very many.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@ezekiel43: I don't think that superhero movies are a passing fad, but I do think that eventually they're going to stop having the total dominance that they have right now. Especially considering that a big number of the most successful superhero movies are specifically coming from one movie studio that has a reputation of putting out QUALITY films. It's relatively easy for people to watch the 2 or 3 movies that Marvel/Disney put out in a year, specifically because of the perceived level of quality and the amount of time that people have already invested in that cinematic universe. But I don't see Marvel/Disney putting out this level of content forever. A few creative flops, maybe a change in management that results in a string of bad ideas, maybe a new "fad" becoming huge at the same time that Marvel just happens to put out a string of duds (it happens, all movie studios release some bad movies eventually). All it would potentially take is for Marvel to scale back to like, ONE movie a year, and then I could see audiences moving onto a different "fad".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You posted it to support your argument. That's why I'm calling it your list. I can't prove it and I don't need to. It IS logical and obvious anyway. One movie gets made, another doesn't. I like low budget movies, but I also want big or epic ones sometimes. Of the dozens and dozens of big budget superhero movies made this century, I wonder how many could have been different projects that I may have bothered to watch.

Only so many low budget movies are going to made anyway even if superhero movies don't exist. The entertainment business is a business. They will always make the big movies that make the most money. In fact if they don't make those movies they won't have money for low budget movies.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RicanV  Moderator

@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Dozens and dozens of big budget superhero movies over a century? In 100 years there was no place for any other movie because somehow dozens of superhero movies prevented it? You're not really interested in any discussion you just want superhero movies to go away in the hopes/promise of something new EVEN if there is nothing proving that the replacement will be better or even happen.

However, the conversation ends at "I can't prove it and I don't need to." I appreciate the honesty of this statement and directness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:

Dozens and dozens of big budget superhero movies over a century? In 100 years there was no place for any other movie because somehow dozens of superhero movies prevented it? You're not really interested in any discussion you just want superhero movies to go away in the hopes/promise of something new EVEN if there is nothing proving that the replacement will be better or even happen.

However, the conversation ends at "I can't prove it and I don't need to." I appreciate the honesty of this statement and directness.

This century, meaning the 21st century. Can't believe I had to explain that. I feel like you're just trying to annoy me by acting obtuse now.

Of course I can't prove it. It's a ridiculous request, since there is nothing to use as data, no alternate reality where superhero movies don't exist. But it's completely logical that green lighting some movies will mean damning others, which was my point.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@RicanV said:
@ezekiel43 said:

This century, meaning the 21st century. Can't believe I had to explain that. I feel like you're just trying to annoy me by acting obtuse now.

Of course I can't prove it. It's a ridiculous request, since there is nothing to use as data, no alternate reality where superhero movies don't exist. But it's completely logical that green lighting some movies will mean damning others, which was my point.

Aren't you the guy that played God of War for twenty one days then said it's boring? I can't take anything you say seriously lol. @RicanV is spot on with his list though, superhero films aren't that common in terms of their numbers, you just need to ignore them dude. There's so much more stuff out there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@goodzorr said:

Aren't you the guy that played God of War for twenty one days then said it's boring? I can't take anything you say seriously lol.

Not sure what's funny about that. I didn't play it for twenty-one straight days, I played it off and on. I didn't drop it because it isn't entirely bad. It's really overrated, though. Haven't played it in over a week now.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Nah. I say keep on making more of superhero movies. The latest MCU movies are experimenting with different genres so I say keep them coming as long as they are interesting.