Do you think it's ok for parents to raise their children in...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

A completely laid back way with no punishments whatsoever and giving them whatever they want?.

I only know of 1 case:

A girl with some sort of hippie-ultra liberals parents, the dad worked like at a garage part time and played with an underground band and the mom was a tatt artist.

The family name was "Heath" so they named the girl "Summer", get it? as in "SUMMER HEAT" because that's totally an amazing name.

The girl was completely obnoxious, she treated everyone like a piece of poop, she was like 14 and walked around pretending to be 28 or something like that and believed the world turned around her.

Really when I looked at her, I said to myself "this is the exact images of what I dont want my kids to become".

Im obviously not saying that you should be showing your kids the belt every time they do something wrong, but I completely agree with a proper punishment when lines are crossed, IMO not doing anything to your kid everytime he does something wrong will just turn him into a really bad person when he grows up.

Squall18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 Squall18
Member since 2004 • 3756 Posts

When I was raised, you'd get an awful spanking for even smirking at my mom.  These days, it seems parents are SOOO light on their kids.  I can't say for sure whether or not it's ok, but one thing is for sure that we were raised with spankigns, and my bros and I turned out fine :p

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Nothing good ever comes out of not punishing your kids at all. They almost always turn into selfish and spoiled brats that make you want to beat the sh!t out of them.

I don' t say you have to be cruel to them but they need to learn that there are limits to what they will ask and get. And it has to happen from a very young age or the "damage" will be irreversible.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

no. kids need rules and need to learn rules.

I feel sorry for kids that have lazy parents.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

your childrend aren't supposed to turn out exactly as you want. what i dislke more than "giving children what they want" is the mindset that allows parents to think their offsprings are there to achieve what their parents couldn't. 

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Just cruious, are you assuming she was raised without any real discipline or punishments? Or is there something beyond your general view of her parents you base that on?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Nothing good ever comes out of not punishing your kids at all. They almost always turn into selfish and spoiled brats that make you want to beat the sh!t out of them.

I don' t say you have to be cruel to them but they need to learn that there are limits to what they will ask and get. And it has to happen from a very young age or the "damage" will be irreversible.

johnd13

yeah no need to punish chana kids no good that way.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Kids try to push hard to see how much they can get away with something. If you don't set limits (consequences/punishments) early on, they'll grow up thinking they can get away with anything. Then when they're older and wondering why they got punished for something they got away with when they were younger, you'll have to teach them again.

Might as well get it right the first time while they're young.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I'll be pretty laid back with my kids but when you step out of line you will know about it. "Buddy" parents cause more problems than they solve. Kids need rules and structure or they grow up entitled and demanding. My kids will be punished when they do something wrong, but it will be a punishment they'll learn from, not a disconnected spanking that has nothing to do with what they did wrong.
capitalism25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 capitalism25
Member since 2009 • 304 Posts

A completely laid back way with no punishments whatsoever and giving them whatever they want?.

I only know of 1 case:

A girl with some sort of hippie-ultra liberals parents, the dad worked like at a garage part time and played with an underground band and the mom was a tatt artist.

The family name was "Heath" so they named the girl "Summer", get it? as in "SUMMER HEAT" because that's totally an amazing name.

The girl was completely obnoxious, she treated everyone like a piece of poop, she was like 14 and walked around pretending to be 28 or something like that and believed the world turned around her.

Really when I looked at her, I said to myself "this is the exact images of what I dont want my kids to become".

Im obviously not saying that you should be showing your kids the belt every time they do something wrong, but I completely agree with a proper punishment when lines are crossed, IMO not doing anything to your kid everytime he does something wrong will just turn him into a really bad person when he grows up.

lightleggy
Agreed. The new generation is quite whacked and its very obvious here in the Philippines. I've probably seen hundreds of parents now who give their children (6-10 yrs old?) expensive iPads. I have a girl cousin who gave his 2 yr old an ipad and another cousin who gave his 5 and 8 yr old one ipad each. I'm not saying that giving iPads is wrong as a whole but i've noticed that ALL of these children are extremely obnoxious, loud and disrespectful. Maybe if you balance out discipline and reward you should be fine in the end
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#11 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Just cruious, are you assuming she was raised without any real discipline or punishments? Or is there something beyond your general view of her parents you base that on?

lx_theo
Her parents never punished her, she told me, they told me, they said they never believed in the concept of punishments and that it couldn't bring anything good, that the best way to raise your kids was always rewarding them when they did good things but never punish them for bad ones...and I was like "lol yeah that's why your girl is such a charm with everybody". The girl licked their parent's ass but was a douche with everybody else.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

A long time ago I went out with a hippie chick who raised her son with absolutely no discipline whatsoever.  He was an unholy demon.  Probably the main reason I broke up with her, he was intolerable to be around.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I can't recall ever being punished really for anything.  I was never spanked or physically harmed.  I never had any severe punishments such as lost privileges, or groundings etc.  Now, this doesn't mean my parents let me run free, and do whatever I wanted when I was little or that there were absolutely no guidelines, but they trusted me, and it seems I've turned out better than most of my peers.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
SO she acted like everyone else at the age of 14? How strange....
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I let me daughter do whatever she wants, though I inform her of the repercussions of her actions.

Example.

When she puts her hands on top of the stove I tell her she shouldn't do that because she might get burnt, but I don't stop her when she continues to do it after I repeatedly tell her -- she'll learn when she gets burnt.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

When I was raised, you'd get an awful spanking for even smirking at my mom.  These days, it seems parents are SOOO light on their kids.  I can't say for sure whether or not it's ok, but one thing is for sure that we were raised with spankigns, and my bros and I turned out fine :p

Squall18
Same here. My dad gave me belt whippings constantly for some of the little things. If he came up to me and tell me to spell a random word (Like Violet) and I misspelled it, he'd break out the belt and whip my ass. If I was reading him a book and constantly got stuck on a certain word, he'd break out the belt and whip my ass. If he was talking to another adult, and I interrupt his conversation to correct his facts, he'd whip my ass. I seemed to came out ok though...::P
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

that's terrible thing to do to most children.

there is maybe one out of a thousnad that you could do that with and them not turn out as a horrible person.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

I guess there are two extremes to parenting: Not doing anything or doing too much.

Obviously you should let your kids have a level of freedom that is appropriate for their age but at the same time you should still instill your own moral values (such as treating others with respect, pick your battles, etc, etc) as well as discipline (time outs, taking away stuff, grounding, etc) but without physical abuse.

But what do I know, I'm not a parent. To answer your question, I have no idea. Perhaps there's a kid out there who has the same type of parents but isn't an obnoxious brat. There's a right way of doing things and a wrong way.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

your childrend aren't supposed to turn out exactly as you want. what i dislke more than "giving children what they want" is the mindset that allows parents to think their offsprings are there to achieve what their parents couldn't. 

VaguelyTagged
damn it's true
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

VaguelyTagged

It is natural for a parent to try to pass on his passions to his child. I don't know what kind of sh!t parents you must've had for even thinking of saying something like what you just did. It's not what parents want their children to achieve, it's about teaching kids not to make the mistakes that the parents did.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Maeby
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Doing so would create a child grossly unprepared for the world. They'd also be hell to live with.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Spanking is fine with me.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I don't like punishments, but I'm not for spoiling them, either.