Do you think it should be illegal to put addictives into items?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hodges_3_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 hodges_3_5
Member since 2008 • 351 Posts

This may be crazy thinking, but I think it should be illegal to make things addictive. For example, think how many less smokers there would be if there wasn't nicotine in cigs. This is a different situation, but even coca cola tried to make their product so addictive that they used to put cocain in it. If cocain wasn't so dangerious, it would still be in it. I think it is wrong that companies have to make people addicted to their product to keep on selling. What are your feelings?

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
You will never ban McJugga!!!
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Yes. Not only nicotine, but we can all live without caffeine.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58402 Posts

as a smoker, I find the habit of smoking far more difficult to break than the actual "addiction"

I smoke 4-7 packs a week; not a lot, but definately enough to qualify me as "addicted". However, sometimes I find myself out of my usual routine and I stop smoking for a week. Then I get back into it and I am right back to it.

I think the addictiveness of legal substances is vastly overrated.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

Yes. we can all live without caffeine.CRS98

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

This may be crazy thinking, but I think it should be illegal to make things addictive. For example, think how many less smokers there would be if there wasn't nicotine in cigs. This is a different situation, but even coca cola tried to make their product so addictive that they used to put cocain in it. If cocain wasn't so dangerious, it would still be in it. I think it is wrong that companies have to make people addicted to their product to keep on selling. What are your feelings?

hodges_3_5

No, it shouldn't be addictive. If I want a cup of coffee to boost my energy, then goddammit, I should be able to buy a cup of coffee. Is it addictive? Of course. However, that's my decision as a consumer.

Hell, what about videogames. Games that force people to "level grind" are deliberately made to be "addictive" as well. That's why they are designed like that, and that's how companies manage to sell millions of copies of games that basically reduce players to being rats in a cage pressing a red button repeadetly in anticipation of cocaine. Does that mean that Final Fantasy should be illegal?

Do you have any idea how much advertising is solely built around trying to convince people that they can't live without some new product that they've gone their entire lives without using? That is VERY similar to the claims of a drug pusher. Why isn't this illegal?

Addiction (in some form or another) is a cornerstone of commerce. People are led to believe that they NEED all kinds of things that really don't do ****, and that gives people jobs in which they go to work to make **** that no one needs (and only WANTS because someone talked them into thinking that they need it). Yes, addictive things should be legal (to a certain extent, at least), because that's what gets people to buy things, which is what gives people jobs that allow them to buy food.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

as a smoker, I find the habit of smoking far more difficult to break than the actual "addiction"

mrbojangles25

And tobacco companies know this, which is why packs contain 20 cigarettes instead of 5 or 2. They are designed to be thought of as something to smoke anytime, anywhere, and that's why people do exactly that. And when people do that, people smoke more cigarettes overall. Which results in more cigarettes being sold.

Cigs don't get sold as "loosies", because the tobacco companies know that they need to keep up peoples' HABIT.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i don't think it should be illegal, but i think if companies did that they should have to clearly label it on their product in an easy to spot place.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's how we get the money rollin'