Do you think it's okay to still use the word "gay" for fun ?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Just a curiosity question for opinions and thought.

Growing up in NYC i've rarely seen the word "gay" being used to be prejudice against homosexuality it was always used to describe a awkward or crappy situation or just to poke fun at a "non-manly" thing to do for a man. Just another random word to use like sh*t and fk.

But now it feels like there's a hunt for homophobes, though most people generally don't really care there's a lot of touchy people what's worse the touchy people aren't even homosexuals or bisexuals just liberals with nothing better to do.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

wait, are you asking to use the word "gay" to mean fun or to describe a crappy situation?

definition 3 or 5?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I sometimes use it as a substitute for the word happy.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joedgabe

@comp_atkins said:

wait, are you asking to use the word "gay" to mean fun or to describe a crappy situation?

definition 3 or 5?

definitely 5

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

The word gets called out when used in the pejorative because it's a hurtful and stupid thing to say. The way kids use the word even if it's just the pejorative has dramatic effects on the ability of gay people to be open about who they are, and the use has a social impact in how people perceive homosexuals. And one doesn't need to be gay to take offense to someone acting like a dipshit, lots of people have gay friends or family members, and even those that don't can still find such behavior abhorrent. There is no hunt for homophobes, I'm calling you out as one and a homophone apologist, and I didn't have to go looking for you, you came here yourself. And really, "liberals with nothing better to do"? Dude, you came to GameSpot, everybody here has something better to do.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

Hmmm... In a public place with a diverse group of people? Probably not a very good idea as it is bound to offend someone. In privacy with your buddies? Sure, go nuts! It's all relative to whom you're with. "Gay", "retarded", "n-word"? Anything's fair game when you're hanging out with with all your jerky little pals!

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

It depends, does it tickle when you say gay?

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#8 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I think it's fine if not meant to be offensive but some say it really wanting to insult or bash somebody and imo that is rude.

Darth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darth1337
Member since 2005 • 64 Posts

To describe something as gay, as a synonym for something that the speaker is deriding is offensive. (in my opinion)

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

It's kind of weird how homosexuals utilized the word "gay" to put homosexuality in a more positive context and it kind of backfired.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Joedgabe

@vl4d_l3nin said:

It's kind of weird how homosexuals utilized the word "gay" to put homosexuality in a more positive context and it kind of backfired.

But it's just the word itself it's kinda weird.. it's like someone would say "hey i'm gay!" and it's like now and days you have to confirm by asking are you saying you're a "homosexual?" because the word itself kinda has been losing more and more meaning as time passes buy. I believed it started by meaning happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

It means you should probably purchase a thesaurus at your nearest book store, because that level of vocabulary says a lot about a person.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Gay has gone out of fashion for me along time ago anyway. I prefer queer and the infamous f word should the need calls for it.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I haven't used the word like that since I was a kid.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

only describing really gay actions/situations

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts

Yes, i'm pretty sure i'm allowed to any fucking thing I want. Consequences or not, people are allowed to do what they please. It's the problem of other's to get offended, or upset. Not saying I go around calling everyone gay, but if I want to say something is "gay" or "retarded", I can. Too man limitations on the people of the world today. That's why this world is completely fucked.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I'm on the fence. It's just a word, but when people say "That's so gay", what does that mean? Wrong? Weird? Crazy? Why use the word gay as a replacement for that? Just say the real word.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

It's pretty immature.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

@dog64 said:

I'm on the fence. It's just a word, but when people say "That's so gay", what does that mean? Wrong? Weird? Crazy? Why use the word gay as a replacement for that? Just say the real word.

Doesn't gay mean happy?

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Yes, thats what it meant before modern slang took it over.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

You can use it however or whenever you want. If someone gets offended then they need to grow some balls and after they've done that you can proceed to kick them in said balls until they man up. We live in a culture of prepubescent girls who get offended at the slightest statement. I say screw those people and their precious feelings.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

You can't even say retarded anymore... might offend one. Hell, there are people that get pissed when one says "moist". Keep your mouth shut and they won't have to kill your spirit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I hope so. I'd be running out of insulting terms to say. I can only call someone a Jew so many times in one day.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

For fun...no. Never found it fun. It is just a word. I am guessing you are asking if I still use it like "that is gay". Yes I still use it and couldn't care less if it offends somebody. I am not the politically correct type.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa

@Masculus said:

You can't even say retarded anymore... might offend one.

That's another one I use and couldn't care less how much it offends somebody.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@megagene said:

Hmmm... In a public place with a diverse group of people? Probably not a very good idea as it is bound to offend someone. In privacy with your buddies? Sure, go nuts! It's all relative to whom you're with. "Gay", "retarded", "n-word"? Anything's fair game when you're hanging out with with all your jerky little pals!

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I do out of habit. Trying to stop using it to refer to something as lame or stupid, because I have nothing but support and respect for the LGBT community and that isn't what the word means by any definition.

I still will use retarded when using it correctly as per its' meaning (to be hindered or slow in their awareness or understanding). People with mental or learning disabilities are not retards or retarded, they're mentally handicapped. An average person who puts their hand in a running blender is retarded because obviously the average person with no diagnosed mental handicaps should be aware that doing that is a dumb idea.

Though I do feel that words are just words, and meanings can change heavily over time. The intent behind the word means a lot more than the word itself.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I use it sometimes when venting frustration, though I do keep it to myself.

I think it's fine when used in that sense, as it's a lot like using 'god dammit'. There's absolutely no meaning behind it.

When you're around other people though, it obviously depends on who you're with. Like if it's with a group of friends who don't take swearing seriously, no one's gonna give a toss...

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

It's okay imo but I prefer the F word when joking with buddies.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#32 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Sure, why not? As long as there aren't any over sensitive twats around you'll be fine and people will understand.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Gay has gone out of fashion for me along time ago anyway. I prefer queer and the infamous f word should the need calls for it.

Moo-Moo-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Moo-Moo-Milk
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts

hell yeah. I love gay ***gots.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

yes

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Yes. But if you have a sister as a lesbian you have to watch out what you say..

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Yeah, and I think its okay to say queer and ****** too. These words had meanings before homosexuals stole them. we're just taking them back.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I'll use it to describe something that is homosexual. Even if what I'm describing isn't a person, but a show or type of music - I'm comfortable using that word. Doesn't necessarily mean homosexual = bad, just means it doesn't appeal to me...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@MickeyTheNinja said:

Yes, i'm pretty sure i'm allowed to any fucking thing I want. Consequences or not, people are allowed to do what they please. It's the problem of other's to get offended, or upset. Not saying I go around calling everyone gay, but if I want to say something is "gay" or "retarded", I can. Too man limitations on the people of the world today. That's why this world is completely fucked.

Hmmmm...so you have a right to say whatever you want but other people don't have a right to be offended by it, brilliant logic there. That's actually closer to thought control than any "PC" maxim as you're trying to dictate what people should be allowed to feel whereas people who ask that words like "gay" not be used disparagingly are only trying to influence what is said in public. Besides, it's not like anyone is forcing you to do anything. Social judgments are an inherent part of human society. When you do something that affects somebody else adversely then people are going to have an adverse reaction to you, get used to it.

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts
@turtlethetaffer said:

Sure, why not? As long as there aren't any over sensitive twats around you'll be fine and people will understand.

this

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I stopped doing that after high school. Although I'll still use "retarded", but my mom doesn't like that, but whatever. Political correctness be damned.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I would tell the homophobe hunters that they are homosexual, and the meaning of gay depends on the context it is used.

I hardly use the word gay to describe situation, seems like a word for kids to say. I do like saying the word ******.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I don't care if someone gets offended by it I will still say it because words take on different meaning in the way they are used. Frankly if someone gets butthurt about it, I wouldn't want to talk to that person anyway. People get their feelings hurt too much nowdays. I will also say retarded, and I have a retarded aunt.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By theone86

@edinsftw said:

I don't care if someone gets offended by it I will still say it because words take on different meaning in the way they are used. Frankly if someone gets butthurt about it, I wouldn't want to talk to that person anyway. People get their feelings hurt too much nowdays. I will also say retarded, and I have a retarded aunt.

Words take on different meanings, but when a word that people identify as becomes used in a derogatory sense (and let's not forget that it's used in that sense specifically because homosexuals were vilified) then it has an adverse effect on those people. It really breaks people down emotionally to hear part of their own identity being used as a put-down, whether that person is intentionally trying to insult homosexuals or not. You can call it PC or thought control or whatever you want, but in the end what it really amounts to is being courteous to other people and respectful of their feelings. If that's too much of an inconvenience for you then, like I said before, get used to people calling you out and treating you differently because of it. You have every right to act like an immature child who doesn't ever stop to consider how they might be affecting others, you don't have a right to other people's approval of that behavior.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

Words take on different meanings, but when a word that people identify as becomes used in a derogatory sense (and let's not forget that it's used in that sense specifically because homosexuals were vilified) then it has an adverse effect on those people. It really breaks people down emotionally to hear part of their own identity being used as a put-down, whether that person is intentionally trying to insult homosexuals or not. You can call it PC or thought control or whatever you want, but in the end what it really amounts to is being courteous to other people and respectful of their feelings. If that's too much of an inconvenience for you then, like I said before, get used to people calling you out and treating you differently because of it. You have every right to act like an immature child who doesn't ever stop to consider how they might be affecting others, you don't have a right to other people's approval of that behavior.

Actually, yes it is too much of an inconvenience for me and the ones being immature are people who get affected.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

It depends on who I'm around.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@edinsftw:

If they get butthurt over it, all the better. It's their own fault for being so damn sensitive.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 theone86

@edinsftw said:

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

Actually, yes it is too much of an inconvenience for me and the ones being immature are people who get affected.

What, people should apologize for having feelings? Grow up, drop the macho douchebag act, and accept that words actually do affect people. You're living in a society, get used to being judged based on what you say.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AmazonTreeBoa

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

@theone86 said:

@edinsftw said:

What, people should apologize for having feelings?

What? I don't see anywhere in his post where he said anything about they should apologize.