Do you talk on your cell when you're being helped by a cashier?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Have you ever had a phone call so important that you had to answer it right before, or while, being helped by a cashier at Walmart or Target? How about while giving your order at the drive through at McDonalds? What do you think of people who do this?

I work in retail, in pharmacy, and I refuse to help people on their phones. I've walked away from people who answer their phones when I'm recommending something in the aisles. Honestly, my time is important too, I can't wait there while someone is having a full-blown conversation with their hand in my face telling me to wait. The world doesn't revolve around "you" darling. I love it when they get mad, when I walk away. There is a special place especially for people who are on their phone, on speaker, and having the phone right on their face. What is the point? Is it a form of narcissism, "hey, look at me, I'm important"? I'd prefer to have someone say, "I'm here to pick up my prescription, you fat ****, and make it snappy!"...rather than dealing with someone who is distracted on their phone. It's rude to me, and it's rude to the person on the phone who you're talking to.

One time I was with my ex at a department store. We were in line, next to be helped and my phone started ringing. I put it on silent, which it normally is, and she asked me if I was going to answer it. I told her no, I'll call them back. She gave me a look as if I were a freak. Perhaps I am. What are your thoughts?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

No! And I work retail, but since "customer is ALWAYS right", I have no choice but to serve scumbags like them.

RonaldReagan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 RonaldReagan2
Member since 2020 • 28 Posts

As a proud conservative, no. We believe in respecting our workers.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

No I only talk on my phone when I am not doing anything or it is important. If I am talking to someone, I will look to see who is calling, then pretty much always put my phone back in my pocket without answering it.

Present company always gets priority, even if they are a total stranger and my sister is calling, the person in front of me gets my attention.

The only exception would be if I am working and the business phone rings, then I answer it because it is part of my job description.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

No. People who do this can die in a fire.

I mean, okay. If I happened to get a very important call while in line I would probably answer it, but this has never happened to me. However, I usually avoid running errands when I'm expecting a call that important.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

No I find it very disrespectful and I work in retail. I get it done to me all the time and want to shove the phone down his throat when he does it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus

@nintendoboy16 said:

No! And I work retail, but since "customer is ALWAYS right", I have no choice but to serve scumbags like them.

Is that really a thing? I've heard that a lot but I've always considered that an old, American, saying. I mean, yeah customers should come first, without them you have no business. But there's a limit to how much shit a worker can/should take. I had a middle age lady ask me that. My response to her was "rarely".

@judaspete said:

No. People who do this can die in a fire.

I mean, okay. If I happened to get a very important call while in line I would probably answer it, but this has never happened to me. However, I usually avoid running errands when I'm expecting a call that important.

Exactly. If I'm expecting an important phone call, I'm not going out and about. I'll ask a friend/relative/wife to go or I'll just wait.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50546 Posts

Hell no, that's rude as hell.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8762 Posts

No way. Even in a waiting room or a line, it bothers me.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

I wouldn’t call someone up and start a conversation. But sometimes, there are important calls that needs to be received.

But to enjoy walking away and irritating a customer is quite sad. But some people need little power trips.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

No. If it's really that important I would apologize and get out, then after the call I'd return to the end of the line. I work in a pharmacy as well and I hate it when they do that. There are 3 types of scenarios. 1st: their phone rings, and they just answer like it's normal. As they answer I say "go ahead, answer it, it's ok". 2nd: a person, typically a young dad, doesn't know what he needs (what diaper size or whether it's cream or balm, etc) then they just grab their phone to ask the wife, with people waiting in the line behind. Sometimes they just give me the phone and say "here, she'll explain it to you" to which I answer "no, no, it's your wife, she'll explain it to you". And 3rd, the worst, they are on the phone from before they enter till after they leave. To them I kindly apologize for interrupting their phone call, getting a dumb look in return.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

No I think it is rude, same with people scrolling or txting on their phone while waiting to be served in line. Pay attention to the people working so you are ready. I can’t stand when anyone has a phone in their hand while I am talking to them.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SOedipus

@PfizersaurusRex said:

No. If it's really that important I would apologize and get out, then after the call I'd return to the end of the line. I work in a pharmacy as well and I hate it when they do that. There are 3 types of scenarios. 1st: their phone rings, and they just answer like it's normal. As they answer I say "go ahead, answer it, it's ok". 2nd: a person, typically a young dad, doesn't know what he needs (what diaper size or whether it's cream or balm, etc) then they just grab their phone to ask the wife, with people waiting in the line behind. Sometimes they just give me the phone and say "here, she'll explain it to you" to which I answer "no, no, it's your wife, she'll explain it to you". And 3rd, the worst, they are on the phone from before they enter till after they leave. To them I kindly apologize for interrupting their phone call, getting a dumb look in return.

Yeah, if someone is picking up a script for someone else and they're not sure what that person is getting, I don't mind if they call for that person to clarify. Or if it's regarding insurance or something like that.

@ratchetclank92 said:

No I think it is rude, same with people scrolling or txting on their phone while waiting to be served in line. Pay attention to the people working so you are ready. I can’t stand when anyone has a phone in their hand while I am talking to them.

Yeah, I dumped a girl I was going out with years ago because she was on her phone all the time. Maybe I was too boring to keep her attention. She was a total babe, but her attitude was a complete turn off for me. I really haven't got attached to my phones like a lot of other people. I use my phone mostly in the morning and at night.

I'm kind of surprised, but relieved, from the responses. I see people doing this crap every day. Another thing I forgot to add in my first post was how it pisses me off when someone is on their phone in front me, while being helped by someone. They're taking longer because they're not focused. The cashier is asking them if they have a rewards card or something, or the customer is asking if a certain item is on sale, while also arguing with someone over the phone. It holds up the line!

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

No.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

I never make a call during that time, and if someone calls me that I know I will answer with calling them right back.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

No. And I have a strong dislike for people who do.

Same thing the other way around. I don't care if you have a bluetooth piece in you ear, if you're on the clock and interacting with customers, you shouldn't be having phone conversations at all...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I have a few times by coincidence.

I try not to. I know it is rude and I wouldn't appreciate either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

Nope. That's rude behavior. If my phone rings I don't answer it either.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@kadin_kai said:

I wouldn’t call someone up and start a conversation. But sometimes, there are important calls that needs to be received.

But to enjoy walking away and irritating a customer is quite sad. But some people need little power trips.

This. Sometimes an important call trumps a transactional interaction. If my kid's doctor is calling about a CT scan, I'm going to answer it every time.

Get over yourself. Yes, I've worked as a cashier, it's not that serious.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Is that really a thing? I've heard that a lot but I've always considered that an old, American, saying. I mean, yeah customers should come first, without them you have no business. But there's a limit to how much shit a worker can/should take. I had a middle age lady ask me that. My response to her was "rarely".

To many businesses, pretty much. Obviously some exceptions (like trying to con people at the customer service desk sort of thing). Honestly, I view it as an anti-worker sentiment and I dare say it was proven wrong before it was even born.

"There are very honest people who do not think that they have had a bargain unless they have cheated a merchant."

Anatole France (Source) - Discovered this quote in Civ VI.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Never. I find it rude to be talking on the phone in front of people in general. I understand an emergency may inevitably come up, but from what I see most of the time when people are chatting away on the phone they are doing that by habit, addiction and lack of consideration for their surroundings - not for any emergencies.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@SOedipus said:

Have you ever had a phone call so important that you had to answer it right before, or while, being helped by a cashier at Walmart or Target? How about while giving your order at the drive through at McDonalds? What do you think of people who do this?

I work in retail, in pharmacy, and I refuse to help people on their phones. I've walked away from people who answer their phones when I'm recommending something in the aisles. Honestly, my time is important too, I can't wait there while someone is having a full-blown conversation with their hand in my face telling me to wait. The world doesn't revolve around "you" darling. I love it when they get mad, when I walk away. There is a special place especially for people who are on their phone, on speaker, and having the phone right on their face. What is the point? Is it a form of narcissism, "hey, look at me, I'm important"? I'd prefer to have someone say, "I'm here to pick up my prescription, you fat ****, and make it snappy!"...rather than dealing with someone who is distracted on their phone. It's rude to me, and it's rude to the person on the phone who you're talking to.

One time I was with my ex at a department store. We were in line, next to be helped and my phone started ringing. I put it on silent, which it normally is, and she asked me if I was going to answer it. I told her no, I'll call them back. She gave me a look as if I were a freak. Perhaps I am. What are your thoughts?

If it's important, I tend to say "excuse me for 10 seconds", pick up the phone, and tell the other person "can you hang on a minute? Just making a purchase".

Unless it's something super important, then i'll let the retail employee know to go help other folks and get back to me at their convenience.

I did retail for 11 years, so maybe I have a bit more empathy for those folks. Then again, at the same time, I can be pretty mean to uninterested retail people who clearly don't want to help.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

Imho I don’t really care about the person cashing me out that I interact with for a few minutes and won’t see again. Nor do they probably care. If I have to speak on my phone so be it cash me out beeotch.

I worked retail in my youth & generally despised most of the public. I’m sure most of them are just counting the hours down to get out of there especially now with covid.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

No, I’m not rude.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38672 Posts

no

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44544 Posts

Only if I am trying to impress a girl...

Loading Video...

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

No, but working I honestly don't care if they are. People have outside life's, could be important. Who knows.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 GNS
Member since 2015 • 920 Posts

Cashier that helps? Not in my country.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Not as a rule but I did recently thank a self-service checkout.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts
Loading Video...

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SOedipus

@lamprey263: That reminded me of Curb, with the setting

Loading Video...

@johnd13 lol that was good

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2249 Posts

It is something I try to avoid, but it has happened a few times.. that being said I always explain the person that I am on the phone with that I am just about to pay for groceries etc ie I will always make the phone call my second priority and would never ask a clerk to wait for me to finish talking... if my call was that important I would just exit the line until i am done talking

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I avoid human interaction all together and go to the self checkout.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

No, because I don't like it done to me. What bothers me even more though are people who talk in public on speaker phones. Talk about narcissistic behavior thinking you're so important, your conversations should be broadcast to anyone within earshot.