Do you still watch Wrestling in today's standards?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Used to love Wrestling in the 90's, and early 2000. Then I stopped right around 2005'ish. I just didn’t have time to watch it as I was leaving High School at the time, then I just lost interest since all the good Wrestlers either retired or just called it a day and left.

I still have fond memories of WWF/WWE. During the early 2000's, wrestling got really good with actual wrestling matches. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Triple H, etc consistently put on amazing matches. ECW/WCW/TNA is where the real good wrestling can be found. I also want to add how cringy it is to hear fans talk about wrestling nowadays as if they’re in the business. Back then, we knew it was fake & staged, but we went along with it lol.

Now and then, I’ll stream a PPV event like Wrestlemania just to see what’s going on and that's it.

Elaisse2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Elaisse2
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts

That about when I stopped, I just got bored with it all.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Nope. Not interested in soap opera with pretend-fights.

Nowadays, I watch soap opera with REAL (sometimes) fights, isn't that right, Mr. Dana White?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

No stopped in the late 2000's could see then the product was changing for the worse. Best times were 97-2003.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts

I’ve been watching it most of my life and still watch WWE regularly, I love it. It was particularly great in the “Attitude Era” but there is a lot of great talent and things going on these days as well. Some current favourites of mine are Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Braun Strowman, Elias, Sheamus, Cesaro, Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair, Alexa Bliss, and Rhonda Rousey.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

2005 was definitely when things started going downhill 2006 had it's moments but mostly sucked the Cena push and WWE going PG was the final nail in the coffin for me. WWE is so bad these days if they went some how out of business I would be relieved like a suffering animal that needs to be put down. I'm so glad I was able to see the birth of the nWo, Stone Cold, DX, Monday night wars, the real ECW, and the early ruthless aggression years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I stopped watching that long time ago. I'm amazed that there are adults that watch this. I don't really care if kids watch WWE but if there are adults that watch this and their fully invested in it then they need a new hobby.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No. No WWE and no NASCAR for me. I watched WWF when I was a kid with my dad, but that was it.

Bycil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bycil2
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

of course

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

I stopped watching that long time ago. I'm amazed that there are adults that watch this. I don't really care if kids watch WWE but if there are adults that watch this and their fully invested in it then they need a new hobby.

Who are you to judge what people find enjoyable?

Are you the offical king of adults?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Nope. I don't really watch sports at all, so I damn sure don't watch no wrastlin'.

It was fun when I was a kid, but not so much now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

I stopped watching after Stone Cold stopped fighting with Vince Mcmahon.

Don't have a snooty attitude or anything towards it. Fun is fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

@PSP107: On the scale of 1 through 10 how triggering was that for you?

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

After WCW went off air, WWE went downhill.

When you have no competition, there is no reason to improve.

Just like if there was only a Mcdonald's within a 25-mile radius, they could charge whatever price they want for their hamburgers, because no Burger King is there for the customers to turn to instead. Customers in the area would have no choice but to go to the expensive Mcdonald's.

It's the same with WWE. WWE is putting out a worser product, because people have no other wrestling show to turn to. WWE has no reason to improve.

Look at how good your mobile phone is. Constant competition between Apple, Samsung and other brands forced them to improve their phones, or they would lose business to the other brands. Another example would be Amazon and Wal-Mart, they want faster delivery options for customers. They would have no reason to improve their product like this, if they had no competition forcing them to do so.

Put 2 or 3 new wrestling brands on, when Raw is on. That would certainly take viewers away from WWE. WWE would be forced to make a better show.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@davillain-: not watched any WWE content for years apart from the odd few minutes of raw when flicking channels.

WWE is too family friendly and it ruins the content somewhat.

I used to watch TNA in what some would say was after its golden era (around 2012-2015) I stopped when they lost the TV deal with spike they were offline for too long, by the time they were back on destination america id lost interest.

My favourite era of wrestling was mid to late 90s, partly because I was young, and with little inherent or social media then kayfabe was a thing.

Used to love when WCW were competitve, and at one point were leading WWE, around the time they launched the NWO and Goldberg was on his unbeaten run.

The atmosphere in WCW seemed more chaotic and exciting in WCW the show felt like a frantic action packed two hours that flew over.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I'm consistently making fun of wrestling. Come on, grown men playing that they fight each other. Can anything be more ridiculous?

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I used to be big in to it, spent a good whack of £££ to go to Wrestlemania last year in Orlando. However, in the last six months or so I've just found myself losing interest. Don't bother with Smackdown anymore, and only really watch the PPVs, but tend to skip a good chunk of them. The storylines are just rehashed and I don't feel any connection to them.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

Would be interesting to see how well the wrestling games are selling these days. I remember when wrestlemania 2000 was sold out everywhere.

xtremeplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xtremeplay
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

i stopped watching it when i became an adult lol

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

My not watching it has nothing to do with age and such but with it being a crappy product. Two of the people running the show wouldn't be in their positions if it weren't for being the daughter and the man who was sleeping with and then married the owner's daughter. Kayfabe is dead and that really hurt the product. Homer-like decisions in terms of pushes and storylines have also made it unbearable to watch.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Not since there attitude era. It went downhill fast when they had the draft for Monday night and Thursday night, splitting the talent pool in half.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

my dad got sky tv in the early 90s and at the time it was the greatest thing ever because as a young kid i got to watch the simpsons and wwf on tap, back in the day when gorilla monsoon, bobby the brain heenan and rowdy roddy piper were commentators. i stopped watching around the late 90s.

on a whim me and my girlfriend decided to stream wrestlemania a few years ago, even though we'd never heard of most of the wrestlers. it was surprisingly good! we tried to watch raw a few weeks later but it was terrible so we decided to stick to a once a year fix via wrestlemania. it was pretty crap this year though. i prefer watching the big bruiser brock lesnar / braun strownman types but they seem to be in short supply, instead it's mainly just a load of pretty little acrobatic guys poncing about. not sure if i'll bother again

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@davillain-: I still watch wrestling, it's completely different than it is for sure. Ever since Vince bought out WCW, there was no real competition against the WWE. TNA came close as a competitor, but a ton of missteps caused them from becoming a true rival. So far, hardcore wrestling fans have moved on to the indies like Ring of Honor, which is growing pretty fast and watch Japan's greats like New Japan Pro Wrestling for Kenny Omega, who's the biggest wrestling star in the world right now.

I mostly enjoy WWE's NXT block more. They have great talent, also Kairi Sane is awesome, but her former rival from Stardom has joined named Io Shirai.

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@davillain-: I still watch wrestling, it's completely different than it is for sure. Ever since Vince bought out WCW, there was no real competition against the WWE. TNA came close as a competitor, but a ton of missteps caused them from becoming a true rival. So far, hardcore wrestling fans have moved on to the indies like Ring of Honor, which is growing pretty fast and watch Japan's greats like New Japan Pro Wrestling for Kenny Omega, who's the biggest wrestling star in the world right now.

I mostly enjoy WWE's NXT block more. They have great talent, also Kairi Sane is awesome, but her former rival from Stardom has joined named Io Shirai.

Loading Video...

Hmm, one of these days, I'll check out Japan's wrestling, thanks for the heads up.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@davillain-: Just for a heads up, NJPW doesn't have women wrestling, the best women promotion in Japan is Stardom.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

@PSP107: On the scale of 1 through 10 how triggering was that for you?

Wasn't triggerd at all. Just asking a question.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@davillain- said:

Used to love Wrestling in the 90's, and early 2000. Then I stopped right around 2005'ish. I just didn’t have time to watch it as I was leaving High School at the time, then I just lost interest since all the good Wrestlers either retired or just called it a day and left.

I still have fond memories of WWF/WWE. During the early 2000's, wrestling got really good with actual wrestling matches. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Triple H, etc consistently put on amazing matches. ECW/WCW/TNA is where the real good wrestling can be found. I also want to add how cringy it is to hear fans talk about wrestling nowadays as if they’re in the business. Back then, we knew it was fake & staged, but we went along with it lol.

Now and then, I’ll stream a PPV event like Wrestlemania just to see what’s going on and that's it.

Funny you mention that, i watched some this past Monday, and yes it is still pretty cool. I just can't seem to be as excited about it as i used to be back when i was a kid. Them wrestlers you mention were one of the main reasons for watching, the best WWF days for sure. I find the lady wrestling to be quite good these days. On Monday i was watching the hype between the Divas Bell and her sister against Rhonda. I don't even know who the champ is these days of the men division, need to keep up a bit more.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I think I mentioned this in another wrestling thread but I stopped when the WWF turned into the WWE.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#30 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I only catch the big events when they come out on DVD.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator

@LexLas said:
@davillain- said:

Funny you mention that, i watched some this past Monday, and yes it is still pretty cool. I just can't seem to be as excited about it as i used to be back when i was a kid. Them wrestlers you mention were one of the main reasons for watching, the best WWF days for sure. I find the lady wrestling to be quite good these days. On Monday i was watching the hype between the Divas Bell and her sister against Rhonda. I don't even know who the champ is these days of the men division, need to keep up a bit more.

Glad to see you're still alive & well, don't let work & life keep out away from Gamespot lol.

TerrancePryor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TerrancePryor
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I still watch it. When it comes to the WWE, I tend to stick with NXT more than the main roster. I actually went to NXT Brooklyn and Summerslam a couple months ago. Enjoyed NXT more than Summerslam. Independent wrestling is where it's at now. So much crazy stuff going off everywhere. Stuff that Vince wouldn't wanna do.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LexLas

@davillain- said:
@LexLas said:
@davillain- said:

Glad to see you're still alive & well, don't let work & life keep out away from Gamespot lol.

They sure are hyping up the Wrestlemania 31 Event. Almost tempted to order it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPG2G9zg9uU

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#34 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

I watch NJPW and ROH. WWE will continue to be crap until Vince McMahon dies.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LexLas

@bgres077 said:

I watch NJPW and ROH. WWE will continue to be crap until Vince McMahon dies.

What ! Vince McMahon is the Architect, the shot caller, da man of most importance. And he was gone we'd have to deal with Shane his son ? Oh hell no.

DFan17902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DFan17902
Member since 2006 • 5427 Posts

My relationship with wrestling is similar to OP's. Haven't followed it in over a decade. I know a few of the big names that are still around, but most of the new popular folks are unknown to me. I've heard mixed opinions on whether it's still good or not, but have not bothered to check it out recently. Used to watch RAW/Smackdown regularly. Doubt I'm really missing anything essential at this point...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

For me, pro wrestling peaked with WWF in the late 90s to early 2000s, when you had the likes of The Rock, Kane, Undertaker, HHH, Kurt Angle, Stone Cold, etc. in their prime.