Do you still watch TV?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Jackamomo (2116 posts) 2 months, 27 days ago

Poll: Do you still watch TV? (76 votes)

Yes 39%
No 61%

I was just wondering about this.

I stopped watching it a few years ago and I'm 38 so thats a long history of watching tv from probably 5 or something.

So if you watch one or less times a month, you should answer No.

If you watch more than once a month then you should answer Yes.

I watch alot of YouTube videos from gameplay footage to documentaries but not programming from regular tv channels.

This includes iPlayer. So if you watch iPlayer more than once a month you are a Yes. Also ITV player and Channel 4 player or any media player which plays the entirety of a channel's output and then made unavailable after a week.

This doesn't apply to Hulu or Netflix, because they are on-demand services and don't include all the programs a network would offer and are not network dependant.

The last thing I watched was a David Attenborough documentary but it was whales or tigers again and I got bored straight away. There must be some new animals out there.

I found the last thing I watched was home improvement programs and at one point loan sharks and also antique dealers. I miss Antiques Roadshow.... :'(

But then I never cared for Eastenders or soaps in general.

#51 Edited by skipper847 (7314 posts) -

Only time ive watched TV in last 5 years or so is when I had no internet for 3 weeks while it was been turned on. If it wasn't for that then I wouldn't have even then. TV sucks especially in the UK. My parents always say there nothing on. I always say that it because its all online like netflix amazon prime etc. I have amazon prime and can easy add another person to it but my dad tried it once and said he didn't like it. I was like WTH dont you like it got everything on it from documentaries, TV series, and films and other things. I think it just that he dont like change.

#52 Posted by Serraph105 (33431 posts) -

@undefined: "This doesn't apply to Hulu or Netflix, because they are on-demand services and don't include all the programs a network would offer and are not network dependant."

I take serious issue with this assessment, people can watch hundreds and thousands of hours of TV on Netflix. You can't simultaneously do that and argue that you don't actually watch TV. You can say maybe that you've cut the cord because you don't have a cable subscription, but it would be absolutely ridiculous to argue that you don't watch TV.

#53 Edited by Jebus213 (10056 posts) -

No

They don't really make action cartoons anymore(Justice League, Batman, etc.) and there is no reason to watch Toonami when all the anime is on the internet.

The History and Discovery channels are reality stations now.

I don't really watch sports.

I hate commercials.

TV news is a joke.

G4 TV turned into 24/7 cops and ultimate ninja then died.

MTV doesn't have a lot real entertainment anymore.

Who the hell wants to watch a movie with commercials?

Everything is too PC.

Seriously, TV is a relic.

#54 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (25203 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:

@undefined: "This doesn't apply to Hulu or Netflix, because they are on-demand services and don't include all the programs a network would offer and are not network dependant."

I take serious issue with this assessment, people can watch hundreds and thousands of hours of TV on Netflix. You can't simultaneously do that and argue that you don't actually watch TV. You can say maybe that you've cut the cord because you don't have a cable subscription, but it would be absolutely ridiculous to argue that you don't watch TV.

What if I watch live DirecTV on the iPad? ;)

I also have On-Demand stuff which are included in my subscription. It's like Netflix except it has all the stuff I like.

#55 Posted by Vectorpete (4 posts) -

The last thing I watched on TV was the walking dead but I got bored of it pretty quick

#56 Posted by AFBrat77 (26680 posts) -

Not much anymore.....only active shows I watch these days are Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, and This is Us, but they are on holiday right now. I said yes, but poll choices should have been more specific imo.

#57 Posted by Serraph105 (33431 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: I mean if your definition of watching tv is watching something on a traditional tv then sure. My definition is watching shows or movies created for an audience. YouTube is a grey area because you could be watching instructional videos, listening to music, or whatever, but if you're watching say The Office via Netflix or a Netflix original or something and your watching it on your phone, tablet, or monitor then you are not working, reading a book, playing a video game, or anything else, you are watching tv. Nothing wrong with that of course it just seems like watching tv means more than just looking at a physical television.

#58 Posted by So_Carrieous (44 posts) -

Looking at a cell phone is using a television. Same sht

#59 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25203 posts) -
@Serraph105 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: I mean if your definition of watching tv is watching something on a traditional tv then sure. My definition is watching shows or movies created for an audience. YouTube is a grey area because you could be watching instructional videos, listening to music, or whatever, but if you're watching say The Office via Netflix or a Netflix original or something and your watching it on your phone, tablet, or monitor then you are not working, reading a book, playing a video game, or anything else, you are watching tv. Nothing wrong with that of course it just seems like watching tv means more than just looking at a physical television.

It does because I can watch on my iPad many of what is being piped by the DirecTV box to the television, including the commercials. That's what the LiveTV feature is. It's the live feed from the set top. It's even got the channel listing.

I can do the same on the laptop or PC. But, it runs off the web browser rather than an app.

#60 Posted by Jackamomo (2116 posts) -

@Serraph105: @so_carrieous: @jun_aka_pekto:I suppose I'm talking about the delivery platform of live via cable / digital from an ariel versus on demand.

What I'm wondering is. Do you sit down and just see what's on.

It's true I was a bit unclear what the definition was when I first made the post. But I think what I'm wondering is would people just passively watch something or flick around the channels without first deciding what they want to watch OR watch a serialised drama or soap or TV program like Scrapheap Challenge to kill time just because they are on.

Or do you do a quick search to find something to suit your mood and live broadcasts are completely irrelevant.

#61 Posted by DaVillain- (34925 posts) -

Why would I pay for something that only has 5%, at any given hour of a day, of what is interesting to me while I can get 100% of what interest me at any hours of the day on the internet?

I don't have cable at home but my Mother, older cousins, and aunts do. Which is expected, since they're old as hell and stuck in the old school while I'm rocking the new school.

#62 Posted by So_Carrieous (44 posts) -

Nope!! Gave that up over a decade ago.

#63 Posted by Serraph105 (33431 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@Serraph105: @so_carrieous: @jun_aka_pekto:I suppose I'm talking about the delivery platform of live via cable / digital from an ariel versus on demand.

It's true I was a bit unclear what the definition was when I first made the post. But I think what I'm wondering is would people just passively watch something or flick around the channels without first deciding what they want to watch OR watch a serialised drama or soap or TV program like Scrapheap Challenge to kill time just because they are on.

Or do you do a quick search to find something to suit your mood and live broadcasts are completely irrelevant.

So basically, do I sit down and just see what is available right now based on what is playing via cable? No. I don't pay for cable since I moved. I use to because it was included in my apartment bill whether I wanted it or not, but now I have no reason for it to be in my life.

I kind of do the same thing though when I search through Netflix or my Plex server. I don't just watch specific shows because I am interested in them, I will also sit down and watch tv because I wish to be entertained by something, anything, during dinner and after work. It's not really that different from cable, except that I essentially have everything available at my fingertips rather than just what is currently being broadcast by my cable provider. And I'm still doing this rather than improving myself in some way.

That's basically why I see watching netflix (or any other streaming service) as having basically no difference than watching cable. It's a tiny bit less passive as I always actively decide what I watch, but that's pretty small difference.

#64 Edited by Jackamomo (2116 posts) -

@Serraph105: What I'm wondering is how this style of watching tv has affected programming.

I thought of Scrapheap Challenge because it's a format I don't expect to see any more. Likewise Gamesmaster. These are semi-reality panel show type programmes. They are really entertaining but I think they wouldn't get made under the funding structures currently in place ie market trends.

I'm seeing more animations. Definitely the series or 'box-set' is now king. Which is a high production value drama series.

Game shows I think are a relic now.

What I'm trying to say is, I miss Scrapheap Challenge. Also Inspector Morse.

TV now resembles what the world would be like if the Nazis won the war. Variety entertainment is back with [Insert country name here]'s Got Talent and singing contests with Simon Cowell on a giant flashing red, white and blue throne, showering scorn on his underlings.

Kind of cool. But ultimately like watching a car crash in slow motion.

The Apprentice is still funny though.

"You're fired!!!" *he he he * >D

Culture is dead. :|

#65 Posted by Wolfgang133 (80 posts) -

After getting into videogaming some years ago I dropped out of watching TV. That is what little Tv I was watching even then. I have watched a few back episodes of various TV shows online however. There is a website where I could watch back episodes of old shows like Cold Case, X-Files, Hawaii 5-0, CSI, Criminal Minds etc. They even had old shows from the 60's like Gilligan's Island and Dream Of Jeannie. I also watched episodes of Miami Vice on it. It was also free of charge.

#66 Posted by double_decker (146078 posts) -

Nope, Hulu, Netflix and other things here. Haven't watched TV in years.

#67 Posted by J_Mouse_Balls (11 posts) -

YES i have every possible stream service on my ps4 AND ps4pro.

#68 Posted by Ovirew (8690 posts) -

So last month I visited my family for the holidays, and there was a Futurama marathon on TV. It was really great, we all stopped and got into a few episodes there. I had it on my watch list on Hulu, but see, I don't know when I would have gotten around to it because it was just on the backburner as something I wouldn't mind watching again sometime. But to see some random episodes broadcast on TV, it reminded me of what a great show it was.

I've been in the mood to watch the series again (I have never seen all of the episodes, anyway, and some I'm sure I barely remember or barely paid attention to before.) so I could see myself resubscribing to a streaming service again just to watch that show alone.

#69 Posted by neatfeatguy (4241 posts) -

I don't watch broadcast television. I still watch things on my TVs. Now that I think about, it's odd to ask if people watch TV. I mean, you're staring at a screen that generates images. So, are you just watching the images or would you actually consider it as you're actually just staring at a television set itself?

So, yes, technically I still watch my TV. It is nice to know that it hasn't got up and gone anywhere yet.....thought it does have 4 legs on the bottom of it that it uses to stand up. So, here's hoping it doesn't start to walk away on me one day.

Crap! I spoke too soon!

#70 Posted by Zaryia (7548 posts) -
@Jebus213 said:

No

They don't really make action cartoons anymore(Justice League, Batman, etc.) and there is no reason to watch Toonami when all the anime is on the internet.

The History and Discovery channels are reality stations now.

I don't really watch sports.

I hate commercials.

TV news is a joke.

G4 TV turned into 24/7 cops and ultimate ninja then died.

MTV doesn't have a lot real entertainment anymore.

Who the hell wants to watch a movie with commercials?

Everything is too PC.

Seriously, TV is a relic.

Ehh, you don't watch premium channel tv shows? They are better than movies these days.

#71 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (25203 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@jun_aka_pekto:I suppose I'm talking about the delivery platform of live via cable / digital from an ariel versus on demand.

I can watch whatever is showing (live) at DirecTV on both the set top box and my PC/mobile. There are, of course, exceptions. The handful of local channels can only be watched through the set top box.

If I watch breaking news on CNN (yuk) via the set top box, I can watch the same thing on my iPad, including the endless commercials. The On Demand stuff are also on both.

See? If I clicked on Watch Live, it's the same exact thing showing on CNN right now anywhere in the US.

The On-Demand is somewhat similar to Netflix although a lot of the newer movies are for pay. Many of the shows I like are on DirecTV such as The Universe and far more complete than say, Netflix. I think the latter only has the first season.

That reminds me. I haven't put back the Netflix app for iOS since I reinstalled the latter.

#72 Posted by Jackamomo (2116 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: that sounds like a no then if your not watching adverts.

People don’t just see what’s on any more.

But then again TV guides have been around since teletext.

I wonder if factual entertainment is still a thing.

I noticed James May is in YouTube funded shorts with factoids.

No more Top Gear...?

#73 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58842 posts) -

Good heavens, no.I don't want square eyes.

#74 Posted by ArchoNils2 (10284 posts) -

I do not watch TV. However here in Switzerland we are forced to pay for channels to produce "neutral" shows. Since technically we own them, they have like their own Netflix where you can go back and watch what you want for much more than one week. I do use this service from time to time

#75 Edited by Jackamomo (2116 posts) -

@ArchoNils2: ha! I knew communism worked!

I see Top Gear is still going but you need an Amazon Prime subscription.

In the UK the BBC is run like the USSR politburo and have been putting our insanely scare-mongering adverts since the 80’s with TV Licence men in vans hanging around outside, somehow able to tell what your watching via an Ariel stocking out the top. This technology still does not exist but it was effective. The licence fee for watching BBC is about £15 a month and only funds BBC programs but is required to watch commercial channels with ads also. They send letter after scary letter of your not licenced and the website don’t even register your not on the market for a licence. The letters eventually stop. I hate the BBC. They make bank on BBC world then have the temerity to claim it should be law to pay them a fee just to watch any live tv at all! They live within a bubble of programming that hasnt changed since the 80’s really. Costume dramas anyone? F*ck the bbc. I don’t know what your paying in tax for ‘neutral’ programming but I’d wager it’s far less than the glorious and ever virtuous, uncriticisable and utterly closed to new influences in programming, BBC .

#76 Edited by qx0d (302 posts) -

People still watch things on screens, though not necessarily a TV screen. The whole concept of how shows are watched is changing. A show can easily be watched on a phone nowadays.

Hulu and Netflix are part of this change. There's no way we can discuss TV today and not mention Netflix and other streaming apps. Netflix produces original shows as well. If you leave out Netflix, how far will you take it? Will you leave out HBO as well? How about leaving out cable networks too? All these are part of watching shows on a TV.

#77 Posted by drmohansingh (14 posts) -

No.

#79 Edited by jameswatson12 (12 posts) -

Yes, I love to watch tv.

#80 Posted by X_Karen_x (498 posts) -

@jameswatson12:

It common for lot of people.

#81 Posted by drmohansingh (14 posts) -

Yeah but very rare I watched tv.

#83 Edited by SBan83 (34 posts) -

Nope, streaming is where it's at. Sports were the last holdout but now even sports can be watched on the respective apps of the networks so no problem there either.

#84 Posted by SteinOveHelset (5 posts) -

Yes, I do. But less and less.

The TV is always on in the background. But most of the times when I watch series and movies it's streaming all the way.

#85 Posted by InnerGame (200 posts) -

I stopped watching TV. The Internet gives me everything I need: information, news, a lot of video content (streams, series, movies).

#86 Edited by lensflare15 (6652 posts) -

I'll watch the oldies broadcast channel Me Tv since I like a lot of those old-school shows. Every so often I'll watch episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, MASH, Carol Burnett and Friends, Perry Mason, Hogan's Heroes, etc... But other than that, I mostly just use Netflix these days.

#87 Posted by camW00dS (6 posts) -

No, only when I'm at home (once a few month) and need something on a background.

But still sometimes I watch some stupid tv talkshows or whatever on youtube

#88 Posted by jango_p (7 posts) -

Reading this made me sad lol. I happen to binge a lot of my favorite shows on Netflix these days.

#89 Posted by quadraleap (36576 posts) -

Cut the cord last year. Watch but not as much or the same way.

#90 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25203 posts) -

I still have a lot of DVD/Blu Ray discs I watch on TV. Watching Season 1 of The History Channel's Dogfights.

#95 Posted by shialzsan (8 posts) -

I watch some lol