Do you still watch TV?

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you still watch TV? (76 votes)

Yes 39%
No 61%

I was just wondering about this.

I stopped watching it a few years ago and I'm 38 so thats a long history of watching tv from probably 5 or something.

So if you watch one or less times a month, you should answer No.

If you watch more than once a month then you should answer Yes.

I watch alot of YouTube videos from gameplay footage to documentaries but not programming from regular tv channels.

This includes iPlayer. So if you watch iPlayer more than once a month you are a Yes. Also ITV player and Channel 4 player or any media player which plays the entirety of a channel's output and then made unavailable after a week.

This doesn't apply to Hulu or Netflix, because they are on-demand services and don't include all the programs a network would offer and are not network dependant.

The last thing I watched was a David Attenborough documentary but it was whales or tigers again and I got bored straight away. There must be some new animals out there.

I found the last thing I watched was home improvement programs and at one point loan sharks and also antique dealers. I miss Antiques Roadshow.... :'(

But then I never cared for Eastenders or soaps in general.

• 
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

Yea, Eastenders is shit, but it's a tradition. And nothing more wholesome than watching serial killer docs on CI at 2am in rhe morning.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

only with friends and I dont get invested in shows.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Dropped cable in favor of streaming about 6 months ago. Don't miss it at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I don't watch and nethier my siblings. We have one cable tv and another tv to play games. Don't watch any tv shows anymore like I used before. I spent my time on youtube, games, phone and computer. It's very interesting that tv is becoming more unpopular as we move forward in technology. Few years ago I used to watch tv but now I don't even need it. It's pretty weird. I just grew disinterested watching tv shows.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Much less than I use to, my TV has two HDMI ports. 1 I use permanently for my desktop and the 2 I use interchangeably between the cable box and my console.

Some months ago 1 of the ports broke down and I'm scared to death of the other failing too so I try as much as possible to not mess with it.

I use a secondary television to watch a little bit of sports and TBS. If something big happens I try to stream the news channels online.

I'm waiting for YouTube TV to come to my area and then maybe I can cut the cord.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44131 Posts

Yeah I still regularly watch cable tv myself. There’s a whole bunch of stuff that I still watch on it such as:

- new shows

- old shows

- sporting events

- news

- movies

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

Yep. Pens are on cable. Also there are some decent shows out there.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Still a little, mostly for sports. Still gotta keep up with all the latest ways my beloved Arsenal are gonna f*** up. Also, Rugby - both codes, but prefer Union. Go Canterbury/Crusaders and All Blacks. Plus Tennis and a little UFC every once in a while.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yes but fairly rare now a days, Watched the Apprentice this year but its just finished, and Live Football when ever Everton are on Sky or BT sports.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I was a bit confused on how to vote at first. I watch TV shows, but I don't watch them when they air. I usually just watch them on Netflix or when our library gets them in on DVD. I lost interest in scheduling myself to watch broadcast TV years ago. The last TV show I remember trying to watch while it was being aired was Agent Carter. At that point, I realized why bothered watching a show, having to sit through commercials and wait a week for the next episode when I can just watch the whole thing at my own pace.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'm 38 and occasionally watch the travel and history channel. And a ton of sports channels.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Not so much these days, although I did watch a channel yesterday which had an eagle flying around wearing a go pro camera on a Scottish island for a couple of hours. I like weird stuff like that, very relaxing.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I haven't paid for a normal TV service is close to a decade at this point, but I still watch TV via streaming services. I also maintain a Plex server which I access via Rokus that I have on every TV in the house. The only time we bother hooking up the HD antenna is during the Olympics.

-Byshop

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Haven't watched TV in years but I still watch things that are on TV. I usually set things to record and edit out the commercials later so I can binge watch the series all at once.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I just watch Youtube and Netflix on my smart TV.

Avatar image for grizlzycapybara
GrizlzyCapybara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GrizlzyCapybara
Member since 2018 • 26 Posts

Stopped watching TV looong time ago. Youtube, Netflix and some others online stream services is totally okay.

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sexay_Vixen
Member since 2018 • 46 Posts

YouTube is TV.

DragonHellfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 9

#18 DragonHellfire
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

This question seems like it should have more answer options.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Not in eleven years. Cable is too expensive. Lately, I've been buying the few shows I actually want to watch on disc. I also rent discs from Netflix.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Yes. Currently watch both tv and streaming services.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

Yes, my family and I watch Hulu, Amazon Video and other Roku apps on the living room TV.

You don't really need a TV nowadays, because these same apps are available online (on your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc).

We also watch DVD's on our TV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I don't watch television. The last time I regularly did was probably over 3 years ago, and even then I spent more time watching on-demand episodes of things than live TV.

I liked some things on Hulu and Netflix, and HBO, but even those services are hit-and-miss. And more often than not, I am usually watching because I like one or two particular shows. I can only focus on like one or two shows at a time, and I get invested in it, and then I just kind of go back to regular life and video games and things.

I really don't use YouTube nearly as much as most of the Western world, either. I do sometimes though, for sure. I just....really don't follow YouTube personalities, or watch it often like people would television channels. Usually it'll be to see some music video or performance, watch some old interview, or some old talk-show appearance. Maybe a new movie trailer, or a video about how something is made. A lot of really oddball stuff, too.

The other night while I was drunk I stumbled upon this YouTube video where an attractive young woman walked around asking random guys if they wanted to have sex. She wasn't going through with it obviously, but the guys agreed to it and it showed them walking off together. Like those dudes must've been so angry and embarrassed after being prepositioned like that only to be told it was some pointless YouTube video....for what?

fireman64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fireman64
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

I still watch a lot of tv, more just company , cause I'm playing on the computer at the same time...

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#24 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

Youtube, streaming, twitch, etc is still watching TV. It's just a different way of delivering content. I watch sports pretty much every day on my 2nd TV.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

@bgres077 said:

Youtube, streaming, twitch, etc is still watching TV. It's just a different way of delivering content. I watch sports pretty much every day on my 2nd TV.

He obv means traditional.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

Netflix is all I need I used to have sky for sports but then now tv came around. TV has become pointless for me. When the football season finishes I used to watch next to nothing.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Nah I don't have time to focus on shows or movies. I typically just put YouTube stuff on in the background while I'm doing other things.

The exception being when I'm visiting my family.

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sexay_Vixen

Ill put youtube on to deceive google. That about it tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

All this talk about tv made think of how television use to be remember the TV guide channel? I remember watching this scroll down back in the day to see what's on boy times have changed.

Loading Video...

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Ya, mostly sports

Sexay_Vixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sexay_Vixen

@byof_america:

Mrs Ewing!!! Lol

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

It's all Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Youtube etc. for me. I do have an antenna to bring in the local channels (all 30 of them), but the only time I use the antenna is for local news if there's weather headed this way or I might turn on Quest and just let it run in the background. If I'm going to actually sit down and watch something, it's going to be streaming.

I ditched cable in 2011 and haven't missed it for one second. Even as it is I can go a week or more without turning the TV on at all.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I was a bit confused on how to vote at first. I watch TV shows, but I don't watch them when they air. I usually just watch them on Netflix or when our library gets them in on DVD. I lost interest in scheduling myself to watch broadcast TV years ago. The last TV show I remember trying to watch while it was being aired was Agent Carter. At that point, I realized why bothered watching a show, having to sit through commercials and wait a week for the next episode when I can just watch the whole thing at my own pace.

Yeah, this. Though the last show I bothered watching on TV was probably The Originals Season 2....

Funny too. I'm paying for cable but I haven't clicked it on in over a year. The only reason I have cable though is because Comcast don't have any offers for Internet alone. I'd be literally paying near the same amount for triple play which also offers slightly faster internet speed than the stand-alone internet plan in the area I live. So triple play is what I'm rolling with....

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#34 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Nope. Internet provides me with what I need.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Way less than before due to a variety of reasons. Cutting the cord wasn't too hard.

qx0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 qx0d
Member since 2018 • 333 Posts

You can watch free shows and movies with Pluto TV, Crackle, Vudu, Tubi, and other apps. You don't even need a TV for this. These apps are available on Google Play for phones and tablets. Crackle and Vudu I can watch on my desktop.

A TV is really not necessary in today's world.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I watch my local channels for news, weather, and the occasional classic sitcom. Other than that, no. I had DirectTV Now for a little while last year, and all I really watched was the Gameshow Network and the occasional movie. After a few months I was barely watching anything so I cancelled.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I watch plenty of shows at the Science Channel as well as local channels, The Weather Channel, and Accuweather. Then there are sporting events. Gotta watch em live if I can.

I can watch live TV (DirecTV) on mobile devices as well. It's still considered "televised."

DTV also has plenty of On-Demand stuff similar to Netflix. I use Netflix for my Star Trek fix. I use DTV for my Pawn Stars fix.

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

I don’t have cable and haven’t watched TV in years. That says something, because I used to be the kind of person who watched TV almost non-stop and was subscribed to the best package my cable provider had to offer. Nowadays, it’s mostly gaming news and game walkthroughs on YouTube (I have a YouTube Premium subscription), as well as movies or anime on Netflix. I have an 82” TV and also buy certain movies on Bluray or 4K HD.

gamefan606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 gamefan606
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts

The Internet completely replaced TV for me. The only time I ever watch TV now is when I visit my parents who still watch TV on a daily basis.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Very rarely and when I do it's old shows from the 80's, 90's or documentaries. I never go to the movies and though I've tried watching various modern movies but I think they all suck. Recently tried to watch Ready Player One...and it's just stupid. Shove a bunch of CGI objects in my face at 150 mph with the classic boy falls in love with girl as they try to take down some evil guy and people think it's badass. Whatever, I just can't get into them so I'll stick with watching documentaries and old sitcoms.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@Blaze787: (I have a YouTube Premium subscription)

What do you get with that and how much does it cost Blaze? Do you get the movies you were hoping you could watch for free but they're charging £4.99?

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts

@jackamomo: No ads with a YouTube Premium subscription. I don't look for free movies on YouTube. The one movie I actually bought on there was the original Pet Semetary.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Not since I moved out from my parents' house 8 years ago. Don't miss it at all. For some reason my country still thinks it's appropriate to force me to pay for it through tax, and that makes me want to watch it even less.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#46 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

When I moved out, I never even considered paying for cable. I still watch shows, but it's been through streaming services or other online means. My internet is expensive enough, can't imagine adding cable on top of it.

rosieK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By rosieK
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

I don't watch Tv very often since I am on a campus at my college but everytime I have change to watch TV when I get back to my parents' house in my hometown, I watch TV everyday !

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

I stopped watching TV regularly maybe some 15 years ago. Long before streaming services were anything to talk about here.

I got my news online and used to work in the evening (after school) on the same days as any show I wanted to watch was on TV. After about half a year like this my interest in TV more or less dropped to zero.

Lunideth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lunideth
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

Don't even own a TV.

JamesIssac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points