Do you still use social media or have you quit it?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

This week I was finally able to quit Facebook I started using it full time around 2012 I believe. The people that I use to be friends on there with have really grown apart and don't have much in common anymore it became so predictable what they where there going to post it almost felt like a parody at times and got extremely boring and depressing it was like Groundhogs Day. Everybody just feels so fake on social media even me at times faking happiness is stupid and I hate it. I finally got free from it I tried to quit before but couldn't it had a hold on me but now I was able to get past deactivation period and my account is finally deleted for good. I'm glad I'm done with that part of my life it felt like such a waste after time I wasn't gaining anything from it. I will miss some of my friends on there but I'm better off without Facebook and I finally feel no need to go back . How about you?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I have a Facebook account but I'm not very active - I never post anything. Just use it for the feed and messenger.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Nah, I only use insta now and it's not so I can see what my friends are up to. Mainly for the products on insta and and dank memes.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Thinking about reactivating Facebook. Only because I can't have a phone. AT&T deactivated my prepaid service because I didn't add money (after my minutes expired) for over 60 days. I didn't add money because no one ever asks for my phone number. There's no point in having a phone service if they're just gonna give my number away for lack of use. I'm not gonna pay like twenty dollars for three months to make one call. Those prepaid minutes shouldn't have an expiration date. IT'S A PREPAID SERVICE. FUCKERS. Facebook is the only other popular way people would be able to contact me. Not that anyone ever asks for my Facebook either. I only had one guy on there I chatted with, before I became bitterer about my social situation and deleted it again two months ago. I hesitate to reopen my Facebook because I'm sure nothing will come of it again. After thirty-one years, part of me knows I'm just meant to be alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Thinking about reactivating Facebook. Only because I can't have a phone. AT&T deactivated my prepaid service because I didn't add money (after my minutes expired) for over 60 days. I didn't add money because no one ever asks for my phone number. There's no point in having a phone service if they're just gonna give my number away for lack of use. I'm not gonna pay like twenty dollars for three months to make one call. Those prepaid minutes shouldn't have an expiration date. IT'S A PREPAID SERVICE. FUCKERS. Facebook is the only other popular way people would be able to contact me. Not that anyone ever asks for my Facebook either. I only had one guy on there I chatted with, before I became bitterer about my social situation and deleted it again two months ago. I hesitate to reopen my Facebook because I'm sure nothing will come of it again. After thirty-one years, part of me knows I'm just meant to be alone.

I'm the same way I prefer to be alone most of the time sometimes it can drive me crazy but other times when I'm around people they drive me even more crazy so I rather just be alone and try to stay drama free as much as I can.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I don't use Facebook anymore. The news feed got really annoying. It was kind of toxic. I kind of felt as if peering into everyone else's lives became a comparison to my own. It wasn't healthy at all. I still have Messenger hooked up though. As far as Instagram & Snapchat, nope. I never got into Twitter either.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7  Edited By madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Quit it? I've never partaken in it at all. And considering what I've seen on a regular basis from the likes of Twitter and YouTube comments, I see nothing I have any desire to participate in.

I've long compared the Internet to a real-life Warhammer 40,000's Warp, and social media might as well be the freaking Eye of Terror. I therefore consider my lack of social media accounts to be an integral part of my "Gellar Field."

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I do not, not really. I still have my facebook account by my last post was like four years ago, and I might go on to lurk a handful of times each year. I keep thinking I might delete my account outright but, you never know, I might actually have a social life sometime and it could come in handy *shrug*

I do go on Instagram a lot, but not to post or even socialize; I just like looking at pictures of cosplay chicks and food.

@warmblur said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I'm the same way I prefer to be alone most of the time sometimes it can drive me crazy but other times when I'm around people they drive me even more crazy so I rather just be alone and try to stay drama free as much as I can.

I get it, but you should really have someone traditional (basically a phone) way of contacting or being contacted.

@madrocketeer said:

Quit it? I've never partaken in it at all. And considering what I've seen on a regular basis from the likes of Twitter and YouTube comments, I see nothing I have any desire to participate in.

I've long compared the Internet to a real-life Warhammer 40,000's Warp, and social media might as well be the freaking Eye of Terror. I therefore consider my lack of social media accounts to be an integral part of my "Gellar Field."

lol that's great. I definitely wish I never started Facebook, but whatever here I am.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

I got annoyed with the news feed on Facebook, so I took a bunch of friends off of it. Now everything is just peachy. I follow about five or six active friends and groups. So Facebook is pretty boring for me now, but at least it's not as annoying.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Never used them. I'm from the old school where the idea was to keep your personal information private.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I've been trying to use it again to stay in touch with some friends, and possibly to have a way to talk to some ppl in the future who have an account.

It's disappointing because most people don't really want to reach out and spend time with others. They're just kind of content with the lives they have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
@Ovirew said:

I've been trying to use it again to stay in touch with some friends, and possibly to have a way to talk to some ppl in the future who have an account.

It's disappointing because most people don't really want to reach out and spend time with others. They're just kind of content with the lives they have.

I tried to explain this to a coworker after he told me he thinks it's easier to make friends as an adult.

Loading Video...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Started facebook around 08 or 09 but only did it because myspace was dying and I dont want to be left out. Never really used it, seldom commented or post anything on it as I used twitter more. But lately around 2017 I started to use facebook to reconnect with friends and join groups. Groups is what makes facebook fun, I enjoyed them a lot.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

When I'll have physical girlfriends, I will use Facebook again or somethings else maybe. I think I do a good move: I say that computer would make life better; and the rest of the future tech; for most people.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

I've never had a Facebook.

Or an Instagram. Or twitter. Ever.

I saw all this coming, I deserve a cookie.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#16 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I've never really used social media.

I have a facebook account because its useful for a few different things, especially if someone you haven't seen in a long time is trying to contact you. but I don't go on there with any regularity or post actively, and never have.

never felt any desire at all to have a Twitter or Insta account.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

twitter is brilliant for staying up to date with things in my professional field. whatsapp for staying in touch with mates. everything else is just vanity media to me. i quit facebook back in 2012, never got on board with insta or snapchat

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Basically quit other than some smaller outlets. Never was really a big proponent and wasn't really going for an "influencer" role.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Never was on Facebook. I never understood the need to put out personal information on the internet for strangers to gawk.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#20 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Don't really like social media.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
@Ovirew said:

That's the sad truth.

Aint nobody using that event invite or initiating some gathering unless it's business related.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58944 Posts

I like following feeds on twitter and basically shit-posting. Silly stuff usually relating to animals. What the Internet is meant to be used for.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#23 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Use Facebook constantly. Great for sharing memes on laughing at dumbasses on the local news chaser page. Lol

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I like socials. I enjoy facebook and instagram. I'm not on twitter or snapchat much. Yeah, everyone is up in arms over Zuck and all the political shit and deservedly so but I have fun on Facebook.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

I was never really on Facebook or Twitter. Thankfully I've kicked the Imgur habit, I'm down to Reddit, Youtube, and Gamespot now.

naazaniqua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By naazaniqua
Member since 2019 • 13 Posts

Yes, I am using social media to stay connected with my friends. Social media comes down to a simple basic human desire, the need to connect with other humans, to be part of a group.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Never started. I have a FB page, but never use it. I think I made one years ago to be able to vote for something.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I have a Facebook account but I'm not very active - I never post anything. Just use it for the feed and messenger.

Same.

Also it's marketplace is pretty useful too bought some cheap PC parts on it at times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I think Facebook became the new Myspace. The only people still on there are weirdos. I also think it's safe to say Facebook ruined the country.

Comma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Comma
Member since 2019 • 28 Posts

I now only use Facebook and Messenger. My friends list has around 35 people on it and they are exclusively my close friends and family. I keep my whole account private and have my activity turned off. I found that this way all the content on my feed is from groups I'm part of, pages I've liked or posts from close friends and family. In the past I had a generic Facebook account with hundreds of friends and many people I only knew in passing all spamming my feed with their achievements and social lives. After a while you start to compare your lives to theirs and then the next thing you know, you feel unhappy. I can honestly say my new account is a completely different experience and I always enjoy stopping by to see what people have been up to or to check in on the various groups I'm a part of.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

I have Twitter & MeWe but that's about it. I hated Facebook and deleted my account back in 2013 couldn't be happier! I find using Twitter to be the most helpful social app around for staying up-to-date news and even gaming news.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I was never big on it.

I used it in college because it was the brand new thing - facebook for college students, need to have an edu email address, etc... I basically just went through the list and added all the cute girls in my class.

Then I just... had it for 6-8 years.. and kept seeing posts by people I hadn't seen in 5 years... Seeing the things they were doing and posting and it felt weird. Why should I know about some stupid little part of your life if I hadn't seen you in 5 years? It felt like I was creeping on people and I didn't like it.

So I ditched it. Best thing I ever did.

I don't use any social media. In fact, this forum is about as close as I get - which is not close. Oh and Discord but that's just a handful of buddies that I actively play games with.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Unless you count youtube as social media, no. Never had it, never will.

dreamygeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dreamygeek
Member since 2019 • 11 Posts

I haven't quit but I don't use Facebook anymore since those privacy concerns turned up. I am glad I found Reddit. At least it's informative and doesn't waste your time.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Quit Facebook about 5 years ago, the account is deactivated and I might activated (an deactivated 10 minutes later) like a handful of times per year.

But I do Twitter, think it is awesome to stay up to date to what's happening if you know who to follow, great tool.

I guess depending how you look at it YouTube is social media but I don't see it that way.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I have a Facebook account but have not used it in about 10 years. Twitter is OK but not really into it...

Plaguecrafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Plaguecrafter
Member since 2019 • 34 Posts

Only Facebook since I'm in a few groups for the local communities I'm a part of and it's really useful to keep track of what's going on in said communities.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I got rid of my Facebook account around 2010, so it's been awhile.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Not really. Having fun with how my Nexus 5 is listening to everything I say for targeted ads and other crap.

I purposefully spoke a different language for a while yesterday and now I get video's in my YT recommended list in that language XD It was on airplane mode, but that doesn't seem to stop it from recording/sending everything.

I don't value privacy all THAT much, but it would be nice if we at least get paid for having our information taken. Once we see a social service that pays you for questions answered/search queries/viewing ads/listening in on you/keeping taps on your location, then I will be more interested. Otherwise I just feel like I'm giving away too much of value for free, and I like money a lot.

Miriammarimiam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Miriammarimiam
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

I've got a Facebook account. Can't say that it's waste of time, but sometimes І really spend a lot of my time there. On the other hand a lot of useful info can be found there. And when I feel frustrated it's even inspire me for smth new and give new forces.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Other than posting in these forums, i dont routinely use social media. I use my phone instead or visit.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I just have an Instagram account. I got rid of my FB account back in late 2011 or early 2012.

AryannaLao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AryannaLao
Member since 2019 • 78 Posts

I just use it less often. Even after I hide shitty posts on my feed, shitty posts still come out. :/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

At least Facebook's marketplace is useful. Sold a few Gamecube games and the mediocre RDR2 outside my apartment building. Becoming a trusted Ebay seller is too complicated.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@sonicare: Yeah, same here.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

@johnd13 said:

This. I also use IG for the memes and sports and stuff.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I have clean and update my Facebook this week. And I can't wait to find my first girlfriend on it. It would be so cool.

Suman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Suman99
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

well it is not easy to quit social media, because the trend of social media apps is growing with time to time, more and more apps are there to indulge yourself in social circles.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Facebook is non existent twitter is the main use of social media for me.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I use it every day to keep up with family and friends.