Do you still build or play with Lego sets? (As May 13th, 2020)

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#1 MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2802 Posts

Dear gamers in Off-Topic Discussion board

For those who loved Lego since their childhood, do you still build and play with these sets?

For me, I do collect Lego Speed Champions sets since Forza Horizon 4 DLC inspired me for this.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15937 Posts

Wish I had the room for them. Some of the sets I seen I wish I had are the Ghostbusters firehouse and the Batmobile from the 1989 Batman movie.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2471 Posts

No. Too expensive. Way pricier than when I was a kid.

ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2782 Posts

I do have the old types. No longer buying lego sets.

MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MclarenMaster18

@ezekiel43 said:

My guess why they're more expensive than past generations? probably due to the higher quantity of bricks and parts being supplied for each set.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 4649 Posts

Never cared for LEGO that much. I remember getting a Star Wars themed set as a child and building what was in the box. I’d think ‘what’s the point of that when I could just play with model car sets?’

Unless you get a non themed LEGO set with a lot of blocks, the point of instilling creativity in a child goes out the window.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10092 Posts

I used to play with Lego as a kid but never bothered with them after I grew up.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6775 Posts

My wife buys me a star wars themed set every now and then. I loved legos as a kid, still do. Glad my kids are into them as well.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3101 Posts

no I do not.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ezekiel43

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

My guess why they're more expensive than past generations? probably due to the higher quantity of bricks and parts being supplied for each set.

I don't think so. Was pretty disappointed by how little I got when I ordered Box 10698 two years ago. I think they're more expensive because fewer people are buying them, so they charge more to get their money back. Apparently, they were almost on the brink of collapse in the early 2000s.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/06/lego-sales-fall-growth-job-cuts

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41918 Posts

Not even my own Daughter isn't into Lego's and me as a kid, I was building Lego's like it was video games hobby of mine. Now as an adult, not anymore. But I'll play Lego video games mainly the Star Wars types if that counts.

Speaking of, I do however like to try and build me one of those Mobile Suit Gundam Model Kits is something I want to do now that I'm older and more knowledge on following instructions will be my next step of evolve from Lego building.

MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MclarenMaster18

@ezekiel43 said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I don't think so. Was pretty disappointed by how little I got when I ordered Box 10698 two years ago. I think they're more expensive because fewer people are buying them, so they charge more to get their money back. Apparently, they were almost on the brink of collapse in the early 2000s.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/06/lego-sales-fall-growth-job-cuts

I see, probably the Lego Classic 10698 doesn't have many parts to look appealing I guess.

Also, I believe most Lego customers would prefer to have other themes such as Star Wars, Ninjago, etc.

Edit: I hope Lego Mario won't end up like Galidor and Jack Stone (Other worst Lego themes).

MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MclarenMaster18
@davillain- said:

Not even my own Daughter isn't into Lego's and me as a kid, I was building Lego's like it was video games hobby of mine. Now as an adult, not anymore. But I'll play Lego video games mainly the Star Wars types if that counts.

Speaking of, I do however like to try and build me one of those Mobile Suit Gundam Model Kits is something I want to do now that I'm older and more knowledge on following instructions will be my next step of evolve from Lego building.

I've built Gundam Model Kits for a very long time but it can be overwhelming for some newcomers.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ezekiel43

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I see, probably the Lego Classic 10698 doesn't have many parts to look appealing I guess.

Also, I believe most Lego customers would prefer to have other themes such as Star Wars, Ninjago, etc.

Edit: I hope Lego Mario won't end up like Galidor and Jack Stone (Other worst Lego themes).

But why would you buy a Star Wars set that can only be built into one thing instead of a generic set that can be built into anything? Defeats the point of Legos, I think.

MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MclarenMaster18

@ezekiel43 said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@ezekiel43 said:

But why would you buy a Star Wars set that can only be built into one thing instead of a generic set that can be built into anything? Defeats the point of Legos, I think.

Because it looks a lot of fun to build and I would treat it as a display model.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15937 Posts

@ezekiel43: I think it's because of people like me--a person who would like to put together a cool set, but lacks either the talent or creativity to do something like that themselves. For some people, it's just a fun thing to do.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122990 Posts

Yup. Build with my son these days, which has upped my interest in it again. If I had a place to have it, I could see myself buying the Hogwart school from Harry Potter.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 178 Posts

@davillain-: I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread. I enjoyed LEGO as a kid, but after recently getting into the gundam shows I am looking at ordering a model kit to build.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6183 Posts

No.

That's not to say that I wouldn't.....

I was more into K'nex though. You could make much more functional things.