Do you pull over if there is an emergency vehicle on an opposite side of a road?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dmg051793 (1519 posts) -

I was driving back from a festival today on a 6 lane road (3 oncoming and 3 ongoing) when a firetruck on the oncoming side was spotted.
I was on the far right side, so I was furthest away from the oncoming traffic. There was a driver in the middle lane of my side of the road (one lane left of me) who suddenly slammed on his brakes while veering across my lane to the shoulder of our road. Due to his sudden brake slam, I had to dodge left around his car and just keep going. I will try and draw a picture for you (sorry for the crudeness of it)

Driving Incidence

The median here was just like an empty lane, and my arrow is what I had to do because of the other driver's reaction.
What would have been the correct thing to do here? Was I to also slam on my brakes and veer right?
Is it also required that you always pull over for an emergency vehicle, regardless of what direction it is in?

#2 Posted by UltraZero (112042 posts) -

You should have moved forward, accelerating of course for a head-on collision. Its called a Reverse Psychology. Instead of YOU putting the brakes, it would be the ambulance that would be doing the brakes.

That'll show 'em whose BOSS

#3 Posted by Chogyam (1887 posts) -

i would have just slowed down to legal limit when emergency vehicles passing, and continued. there was no intersection near, right?

----legal limit; meaning about 20k under posted limit, or something close too that.

#4 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

as long as the road is seperated by ditch, wall or w/e you do not have pull to the side if it's on the other side.

There is no reason because it wouldn't even be able get to the other side with a object in the way

IDK what made that guy slam on his breaks like that and cut you off... To bad you didn't have a hummer and cracked his ass. He would be in the wrong. When i say a hummer i'm talkin about a badass army hummer not some peice of crap where you spend your whole paycheck on gas

#5 Posted by Dmg051793 (1519 posts) -
Please serious responses guys. I don't need sarcasm. There was an intersection, but it was about 100 yards ahead and the ambulance already passed it. The road wasn't separated by an official "median" per se. It was like a full sized lane that you couldn't cross. So technically, one could make an illegal u-turn across it. But I panicked when the guy cut me off, and I didn't want to crash across the sidewalk so I dodged around him./ Did I do anything wrong?
#6 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (9336 posts) -
If there is a divider in the road then no, I don't believe you have to. If the road doesn't have a divider you're supposed to then, been a while since I took my road test so I could be wrong.
#7 Posted by Pvt_r3d (7901 posts) -
That must've been a woman driver. Who veers all the way to the shoulder for oncoming emergency vehicles in a highway? I would have just kept on driving.
#8 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17601 posts) -
The driver didn't need to pull over.
#9 Posted by Horgen (116201 posts) -
Depends on the road... It's it is two lanes, I will pull over to give it some more room. More than two... Depends on the amount space there...
#10 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dmg051793"]Please serious responses guys. I don't need sarcasm. There was an intersection, but it was about 100 yards ahead and the ambulance already passed it. The road wasn't separated by an official "median" per se. It was like a full sized lane that you couldn't cross. So technically, one could make an illegal u-turn across it. But I panicked when the guy cut me off, and I didn't want to crash across the sidewalk so I dodged around him./ Did I do anything wrong?

Who was joking? at least in ohio You are required to pull to the side Unless the road is divided by something. If it is you do not have to. So with that side you tell me if you was in the wrong. I think the other guy was in more of the wrong then you for slaming on his brakes and cutting you off..
#11 Posted by thegerg (18266 posts) -

The road wasn't separated by an official "median" per se. It was like a full sized lane that you couldn't cross. So technically, one could make an illegal u-turn across it. Dmg051793

What is the difference between an official and an unofficial median?

Also, if you can't cross that lane how can you make a u-turn through it?

#12 Posted by keech (1451 posts) -

It can differ from state to state. But general rule, if the emergency vehicle is physically capable of crossing the median. Meaning there isn't a cement wall, ditch, or curbed grass island you pull over as far as you can and stop.

However the catch is you only do so if you aren't going to cause an accident yourself. Otherwise you are just supposed to get over as far as you can safely and stop. So either way the other drive shouldn't of cut you off. You never EVER perform a dangerous driving maneuver to move for an emergency vehicle. They are trained emergency drivers. They know how to get around you if you can't move out of their way safely.

#13 Posted by daqua_99 (11170 posts) -

I have never stopped for an emergency vehicle, whether it be on my side of the road or not.

If it's on the opposite side of the road there is no need.

If it's on my side of the road I just get into the left-hand lane and continue driving, albeit at a slower speed (~20k's under) until it passes. If it was a one lane road I would pull over if it was safe, but most of the roads I drive on it is unsafe and illegal to put over, so I would have to keep driving.

#14 Posted by sonicare (55326 posts) -

You're supposed to pull over unless there is a physical median between the opposing lanes of traffic.

#15 Posted by imaps3fanboy (11169 posts) -

Depends if i'm blasting amon amarth

#16 Posted by BrianB0422 (1636 posts) -
F no... I hate when people do that. Its going the other direction. Absolutely no impact on your side of the road.
#17 Posted by The_Sand_Man (6788 posts) -

With that many lanes and the ambulance going in the opposite direction.. i'd say there's no reason to.

#18 Posted by dagreenfish (1818 posts) -

By law, unless there is a physical median between the lanes, you have to pull over if an emergency vehicle has their sirens on. Even if they are going the opposite direction. At least that's the law in Colorado.

#19 Posted by DigitalExile (16046 posts) -

I don't know if there's anything in the road rules saying to do this, but I've never seen it in my life. Only if the opposite side of the road was blocked and the emergency vehicle needs to cross the median and enter the wrong side of the road should vehicles pull over, but that's just common sense. No, I think the other guy did something silly. :/

#20 Posted by Dmg051793 (1519 posts) -
It was not a woman driver, that does not matter. Please... maturity level. UltraZero was the one giving me some sarcasm. There was no divider in the road and it was not a highway. It was just like a normal street road - 3 lanes on each side with 1 empty middle lane in the road to never cross. I don't know what the name of a median without anything in the middle is. I know I am making it sound confusing, but just think of it as a road that doesn't have a raised grassy area in the middle of it - sorry for the confusion. The other driver just seemed completely oblivious to me so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do in the situation. I live in Colorado, so I am going to trust dagreenfish on this one. Thanks guys!
#21 Posted by RKO510 (2021 posts) -

Yes, no matter where an emergency vehicle is coming from or where it is going...when you hear sirens and see lights you MUST pull over to the right side of the road. You can be ticketed.

It is the law to pull over on both sides of the roadway unless the lanes are separated by concrete or grassy median.

Hope I helped you answer this.

#22 Posted by kev_stevens67 (616 posts) -

Yes, no matter where an emergency vehicle is coming from or where it is going...when you hear sirens and see lights you MUST pull over to the right side of the road. You can be ticketed.

It is the law to pull over on both sides of the roadway unless the lanes are separated by concrete or grassy median.

RKO510

There were multiple lanes of traffic though from what I gathered from the drawing.

This may depend on the state that your in. I would visit the highway patrol web site for your state to get a more exact answer to this. In Florida, the intent is only for you to make way for the emergency vehicle so it can quickly move through traffic. In your situation, it may have just been ok to slow down (not pull completely over and stop). It may differ by state though.

#23 Posted by rcafan (2025 posts) -

It was not a woman driver, that does not matter. Please... maturity level. UltraZero was the one giving me some sarcasm. There was no divider in the road and it was not a highway. It was just like a normal street road - 3 lanes on each side with 1 empty middle lane in the road to never cross. I don't know what the name of a median without anything in the middle is. I know I am making it sound confusing, but just think of it as a road that doesn't have a raised grassy area in the middle of it - sorry for the confusion. The other driver just seemed completely oblivious to me so I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do in the situation. I live in Colorado, so I am going to trust dagreenfish on this one. Thanks guys!Dmg051793

not sure if this will help but i look it up

"

Colorado state law requires all drivers to yield to emergency vehicles displaying red/blue light and/or siren. When approached by an emergency vehicle, the law requires you to pull as far right as reasonably possible and stop. This applies for emergency vehicles approaching in any direction.

You are also required to yield to emergency vehicles which are stopped and displaying its red and/or blue lights. The law requires drivers to reduce their speeds and change lanes to the left when on a four or more lane road or highway, (if the emergency vehicle is on the right and vise-versa) and to reduce speed and move as far left as reasonably possible when the road is 2 lanes.Failure to abide by this law can result in a Careless Driving Citation; in Colorado a 6 point violation and mandatory court appearance."

http://www.safemotorist.com/Colorado/Driving/emergency_medical_services.aspx

#24 Posted by RKO510 (2021 posts) -

[QUOTE="RKO510"]

kev_stevens67

There were multiple lanes of traffic though from what I gathered from the drawing.

This may depend on the state that your in. I would visit the highway patrol web site for your state to get a more exact answer to this. In Florida, the intent is only for you to make way for the emergency vehicle so it can quickly move through traffic. In your situation, it may have just been ok to slow down (not pull completely over and stop). It may differ by state though.

I live in Nevada. What I meant by "pulling over" was 'slowing down', not completely stopping. Sorry for the confusion. I just viewed the picture wrong. And no need for me to check our website, I'm apart of the LVMPD here in Las Vegas.

#25 Posted by Jd1680a (5958 posts) -
I will pull over if its a two lane road. A four lane or more, there should be enough space for an emergency vehicle to move.
#26 Posted by kev_stevens67 (616 posts) -

[QUOTE="kev_stevens67"]

[QUOTE="RKO510"]

RKO510

I live in Nevada. What I meant by "pulling over" was 'slowing down', not completely stopping. Sorry for the confusion. I just viewed the picture wrong. And no need for me to check our website, I'm apart of the LVMPD here in Las Vegas.

Well - the second paragraph was more for the topic creator trying to direct him/her to the right answer. To the TC - the key really is to be safe. From what I understand of the situation reading your post, TC, the other driver didn't act very safe and could have caused an accident. Safety should always come first.

#27 Posted by rockerbikie (10027 posts) -

No, I would not. It's not worth my time.

#28 Posted by killerfist (20090 posts) -

It depends on the size of the road and if it's separated by a ditch, bushes or w/e.

Basically:

as long as the road is seperated by ditch, wall or w/e you do not have pull to the side if it's on the other side.

k2theswiss

This
Depends on the road... It's it is two lanes, I will pull over to give it some more room. More than two... Depends on the amount space there... horgen123
and that

#29 Posted by immortality20 (8543 posts) -

I slow down and go over to the shoulder, but all roads here are 2 lanes.