Do you prefer movies or TV shows?

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Do you prefer movies or TV shows? (29 votes)

Movies 62%
TV shows 38%

I personally never got in to much TV or Netflix or whatever (probably because I was too busy gaming) and therefore far prefer movies.

• 
Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

TV shows since they're spread out over episodes and seasons. The format allows much more room to go in depth with story and character development. Whereas movies tend to get scenes cut that otherwise filled plot holes.

TV shows are harder to keep up with though. Not so much nowadays for shows on streaming services. That allow you to watch a past episode with ease to catch up. All being said, I haven't gotten into a TV show since Nurse Jackie. Might get into Power if I put the time aside.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

In the 90s and early 00s it was TV Shows. Nowadays, movies.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

@jak42: Yeah, I understand where you're coming from, but TV shows are just plain hard for me to get into, as I barely have time to play videogames most of the time, let alone binge-watch Netflix or whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

Movies.

KUKELE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KUKELE
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Movies! Fantasy movies

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

TV shows.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Both?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I really like both but if I had to pick one I'd say movies. There are a lot more movies I love compare to TV shows. Though binge watching a great TV show feels amazing!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I forget movies soon after watching them. TV shows tend to stay with me for life. Star Trek, Married With Children, Survivorman, Justified..... even Pawn Stars. ;)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

@mitu123 said:

Same here for me as well and was about to say similar to this.

Watching TV back in the 90's was the golden age, we had lots of good stuff and as well in early 00. But I think TV gotten worst after 2013 and I kinda stop watching TV. i always been a movies guy since the 90's and now, I'm more into movies more so then I was ever before.

ToonLonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ToonLonk
Member since 2017 • 440 Posts

@kukele: Especially LOTR. Those were amazing.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Both if well done..........

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@davillain- said:
@mitu123 said:

Same here for me as well and was about to say similar to this.

Watching TV back in the 90's was the golden age, we had lots of good stuff and as well in early 00. But I think TV gotten worst after 2013 and I kinda stop watching TV. i always been a movies guy since the 90's and now, I'm more into movies more so then I was ever before.

Yep, and the MCU helps as well!

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Movies by far.

All these shows with a new director every episode. In the end it feels just lazy, slapped together schlock.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Movies, there are a few good TV shows on HBO and theres Better Call Saul, but otherwise they can't compete. I really enjoyed Bladerunner 2049, Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy and several others this year above TV shows.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Justified ended in 2015. So, it's been a while since I had a favorite TV series. But, movies aren't doing that well for me either. I haven't seen a single movie in 2017 that perked my interest.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

Movies!

I've seen a lot of good and bad TV, but for me, I've seen pretty much all of what I've wanted to with TV. The best of the best, imo, are The Wire and Breaking Bad. Nothing even comes close to those two in terms of writing. The best part about those two shows is that there is no filler at all. This is something that every other TV show suffers from. Filler throughout the hour-long episodes that I just don't have time or patience to care about anymore. The Wire had either smart police work, crime gang drama, or whatever the particular season focused on (such as the longshoremen in season 2 and the school system in season 4). There was very little time devoted to characters' relationships and that is just perfect! Breaking Bad, same thing: no filler. It was action and drama blended together and done so well to elevate tension to great highs.

Movies don't have time to put in filler obviously because they have 2 hours to give you a good story. So they gotta pack in everything that's important to deliver whatever story or message to the viewer and you're left either in awe, a passable feeling, or it just plain sucks. I've sat through more than a few shows that kept putting in filler which really pissed me off (Walking Dead had to have the constant crying and hugging and talking about past lives to "increase that character depth" but was really just filler. Don't have time for that).

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blamix
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts

Movies but something like game of thrones or lord of the rings with too many characters should be a tv show. So we can see or hear everyones story

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Neither. Not much use for either of them.There is the odd movie that sparks my interest from time to time,but just only have interest for vg on my t.v.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Now i got Netflix its mainly more TV series but do watch movies. I'm watching tv series what i wouldn't normally watch too. I'm watching 3 on trot. One night I'm watching falling skies, the other Orange the New black. I'm also re watching Voyager.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

TV has more potential for greater character development as well as more intense plots, but it's also very difficult to keep up with TV these days since there's so much stuff worth watching out there (I know, I know, an embarrassment of riches). Movies meanwhile typically take no more than two hours of your time and can be just as satisfying if done right.

They both have their pros and cons, and I don't really have a preference one way or the other.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 turtlethetaffer

@poe13: As somebody who absolutely loves Breaking Bad (and you're spot on with your analysis of it) there's an FX show called Justified that ended about two years ago that I think is even better. Just fantastic writing, acting, and plots. Impossible to stop watching, although I guess you could make the argument that there are stand alone filler episodes. The thing is though that even the stand alone plots tend to develop the characters more or at least move the overall plot of the season along in some way. IDK, just a recommendation since you see to love great crime shows.

Also love the avy and sig, Hotline Miami is one of the only games I've gone out of my way to get every single achievement in.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@turtlethetaffer: Yeah I watched Justified for about 3 seasons back in college, but I feel like it's one of those shows that isn't as realistic as I want it to be. I guess after watching The Wire all the way through 4 years ago, nothing can ever come close so I watch a few episodes of a new show and then I go "well, that was okay....but" and then I just can't commit to the whole season. This is probably for the best though, TV really does suck compared to movies (aside from a select elite few shows), so if I were to binge watch every show that had a remotely interesting premise, I'd miss out on more of what life has to offer and get sucked into the tropes of TV, forgetting what quality even is.

Also, I love Hotline Miami. I love the second game even more though given people's creative levels that I download through the Steam workshop and play through. That level editor is awesome!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Movies...have start & end. Some TV shows just got waay too long/milked for its own good. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Both have their time and place. TV shows rarely are able to match the "awe" factor that movies bring, especially fantasy or action movies...everything is fast pace and needs to be semi done in 2 hours; budget is through the roof (which isn't always a good thing) and adrenaline runs high. On the other hand, it's done after 2 hours, which might as well since I ran out of popcorn anyway...I leave the theatre and I think about it for another couple of hours then it's gone and aside for my favourite movies, at a point I don't even remember if I've watched it or what the plot was about.

TV shows, on the other hand, at least the good ones, make you care about the characters and hopefully take care to create a plot that is not solved by simply shooting someone in the head. On the other hand, a lot of shows run out of ideas in 2 seasons and then overstay their welcome for another 10...I rarely watch a show to its conclusion, because I grow bored of the constant fillers and the "now he gets the girl, then shit happens and they break up, then he gets the girl again, but wait!" sort of shenanigans that are so often (over)used.

Another example is anime...king of fillers, and I don't really watch it anymore since a couple years ago but there's some shows I still want to keep current with, not because they're amazing or I can't wait for a new episode but I'll be damned if it hasn't been an experience that stuck with me. Some shows I've been following for 15 years (fifteen years!) and I still watch it because in between the fillers there's so much background story for every character that it just seems such a shame to not see the story to its conclusion, especially since those characters have been with me for half of my life so they're definitely part of it by now. At a point they almost become your friends since they've been there for so long. I remember on one occasion I was watching a character who, after 10 years of struggles, finally reached his goals and I remember thinking "I'm proud of you" and then realising how utterly ridiculous that thought was but I couldn't help it...I had been waiting 10 years for him to make it; that's dedication on both parts :p No movie will ever be able to do that for me.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 turtlethetaffer

@poe13: Fair enough, at least you gave it a shot!

And I wish I had more time to play around with that level editor... More games need one as in depth as HM2's.

IdaMassey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IdaMassey
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I prefer you a TV show i am watching, Stranger Thing: http://gomovies.pm/search-movies/Stranger+thing.html

williamlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By williamlam
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

It's been a long time since I've really watched a TV show. I used to watch it before more than movies.Now I stopped watching it.Variety of shows on now don't seem to appeal to me like they used to, either they've ended or went on for too long that they lose their charm.I like a story that I can sit down and see from beginning to end. I watch movies on theater or my laptop more than in TV.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@williamlam:

TV and Movies have been awful since 2000.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AFBrat77

@PSP107:

I'd have to disagree, I think they have both been better since then, although this year has been a bit of a down year.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@AFBrat77:

What TV shows/movies you really enjoyed these last 17 years?

Were they better than 70/80/90's era?

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#34 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

right now TV, easily. I feel the medium is just in a much better place right now compared to the film industry which is stuck on Marvel and big budget CGI movies that have make for good trailers and will get people to go into theaters.

There are still good movies being made, but they seem few and far between. Even some of the most hyped and well received films I find to be formulaic and unsatisfying much of the time (recently Baby Driver). The last film that really blew me away was Whiplash (though I don't watch nearly as many movies as I used to).

TV on the other hand is in a fantastic place right now. There are so many good shows. This year alone I've thoroughly enjoyed Better Call Saul, Mind Hunter, Curb your Enthusiasm, Vice Principals, The Deuce, American Gods, Twin Peaks the Return, Fargo and probably some others I'm forgetting. More and more we are seeing top-tier actors and directors like David Lynch, Martin Scorcese, David Fincher and now even the Coen bros working on TV shows. There is so much more depth and originality to be found in TV these days, IMO.

If I go back and compare all TV shows in existence to all Movies in existence, i'd probably go with movies. but based on what is coming out now, TV all the way and its not even close.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Movies. You watch it from start to finish less in than 3 hours.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AFBrat77

@PSP107:

The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Better Call Saul, Game of Thrones, Freaks and Geeks, Firefly, Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men, True Detective (first season), Ray Donovan, Homeland, and I'm sure others I am forgetting. The first 4 seasons of Dexter were dope, just downhill after that.

Most are cable but still TV shows.

Yes I do think they are better than earlier TV, though I loved Twilight Zone, some or all of the Star Trek series, seasons 2, 3, and 6 of the xfiles, Seinfeld, The Honeymooners, early Saturday Night Live, and HBO's brilliant Oz. And yes I've been watching TV since the 60's.

Come to think of it, half of Oz was in the 90's, half in the 2000's.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

TV for me these days for sure I just can't sit through 2 hours anymore or even a hour and a half plus there's so many great TV series I enjoy.