Do you prefer Mayo or Mustard or Ketchup sauce?

• 59 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

I use Ketchup (Tomato Sauce) as it's healthier and goes well with almost anything. Mayo next on selected items as Sandwiches.I avoid Mustard.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Ketchup is a must for French Fries, hamburgers or hot dogs.

I rarely use mayo and only on hamburgers.

I don't consume mustard.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Mustard. It's the only one of the three with any depth.

Ketchup is good on one thing, and that's french fries. Otherwise it's just a slurry of overprocessed tomatoes and sugar/corn syrup. It's more closely related to some sort of candy confection than an actual sauce of any kind...

Mayo is good as an addition to things like cole slaw and other dressed salads of that nature, or used in egg salads, or spread lightly on sandwiches, but not big on it in any sauce kind of role, like the Japanese are (they dump the stuff on a lot of things and/or dip into it). I can't even stomach tartar sauce all that much...

@carljohnsoncj said:

I use Ketchup (Tomato Sauce) as it's healthier and goes well with almost anything. Mayo next on selected items as Sandwiches.I avoid Mustard.

It's really not, though. Ketchup is sugary fruit (tomatoes) mixed with sugar and spices.

A quality mayo is oil and eggs which, while calorie-dense, still has some nutritional value.

Mustard on the other hand is close to zero-calorie. It's actually one of the few condiments you are encouraged to eat when on a low-calorie diet, as anything else (mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc) is just packed with sugar and/or fat. The only downside is the sodium content, but it's not that bad.

----------------------

Nutrition Facts
For a Serving Size of 1 serving(10g)
Calories 5Calories from Fat 0(0%)
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g-
Sodium 115mg5%
Carbohydrates 1g-
Net carbs 1g-
Fiber 0g0%
Protein 0g
Vitamins and minerals
Vitamin A 0μg0%
Vitamin C 0mg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
Fatty acids
Amino acids
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Hmm well I use mayo on chicken, sandwiches or with salads, mustard sometimes on hotdogs and ketchup on everything else.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

I kind of cut back on the use of ketchup and mayo, so I've been sticking to spicy brown mustard. Not sure how some people can eat plain yellow mustard--too bland for me.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I put Wasabi on my sandwiches, mayo on my burgers, and I use Sriracha chilli sauce instead of ketchup.

I like spicy food.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@carljohnsoncj said:

I use Ketchup (Tomato Sauce) as it's healthier

It's mostly sugar. That's why kids like it on everything and any decent hot-dog vendor doesn't carry it.

But I do like ketchup on some things. Fries, of course. I can have a burger with mustard/ketchup or mayo/ketchup or just mustard alone, but never mustard/mayo or just ketchup or mayo alone.

I use mayo more for like grilled cheeses and cold sammiches but even then in sparring quantities. I prefer mustard on most heated sammich meats. Outside of burgers and fries I don't use a lot of ketchup.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@carljohnsoncj said:

I use Ketchup (Tomato Sauce) as it's healthier

It's mostly sugar. That's why kids like it on everything and any decent hot-dog vendor doesn't carry it

Tomato Sauce and Ketchup are 2 different condiments.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/whats-the-difference-between-tomato-sauce-and-ketchup/news-story/7f2bffc6826ce6aedc06674ecbf93b14

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@carljohnsoncj said:

No, Ketchup is not the healthiest of those choices. Mustard would be the healthiest. Which seems a bit odd because it's the most flavorful and robust.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 br0kenrabbit

@uninspiredcup said:

That shit is disgusting. When I was in Canada and they served that shit everywhere I used to have to sneak in my own bottle of A1.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I use ketchup. Never used mustard. I use mayo to substitute for tartar sauce. It taste very similar to each other. BTW, I use tartar sauce for fish... fish only..

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

It's really not, though. Ketchup is sugary fruit (tomatoes) mixed with sugar and spices.

A quality mayo is oil and eggs which, while calorie-dense, still has some nutritional value.

Mustard on the other hand is close to zero-calorie. It's actually one of the few condiments you are encouraged to eat when on a low-calorie diet, as anything else (mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc) is just packed with sugar and/or fat. The only downside is the sodium content, but it's not that bad.

You shut your mouth! How dare you besmirch my precious ketchup.

As for the op's question, like most I suppose it depends on what I'm putting it on but ketchup is more universal for me. However, I prefer a good BBQ sauce on just about everything.

-Byshop

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44131 Posts

Depends what it’s going on but in general I prefer Ketchup. I do like mustard. I rarely have Mayonnaise though.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Ketchup is the most versatile condiment ever. I use it on sandwiches, fried food, burgers, chips/fries and etc.

I like mayo, but I only ever use it on fried food or salads.

Rarely do I use mustard, I just don't like adding spicy sauces on my meals tbh. The only time I have it is on a hot dog or burger, but that depends

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 omegaMaster

@madrocketeer: wasabi on sandwiches? That's madness!

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@br0kenrabbit said:
@uninspiredcup said:

That shit is disgusting. When I was in Canada and they served that shit everywhere I used to have to sneak in my own bottle of A1.

What kind of savages are you for using steak sauce, anyway?! If a steak is cooked right, it's got all the flavor it needs on its own.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Strange as it may sound, I like Thousand Island salad dressing on my burgers instead of ketchup and mustard.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 br0kenrabbit

@hallenbeck77 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

What kind of savages are you for using steak sauce, anyway?! If a steak is cooked right, it's got all the flavor it needs on its own.

Low-grade cuts often do need help. Would put it on sirloin, but something like a T-Bone or Filet Mignon get ate as-is.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Try some dijon mustard mixed up with sour cream and put that on your next burger. Then you can thank me. No matter where you are just say, "Thank you Serraph," I will hear you, and I will know.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By madrocketeer
@omegamaster said:

Madness? Well, you know, there's this really hot place down-town I'd like to go dine in tonight...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

I like mayo and mustard. Ketchup was good when I was a child, but there are way better things out there making it obsolete. BBQ sauce > ketchup, for example. Can be used on burgers, hot dogs or what have you, just like ketchup. It's like a tastier ketchup.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@br0kenrabbit said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

Low-grade cuts often do need help. Would put it on sirloin, but something like a T-Bone or Filet Mignon get ate as-is.

Well, at least it's not ketchup on steak. Any mental patient who does that should lose all rights to eat steak, period.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 omegaMaster
@madrocketeer said:
@omegamaster said:

Madness? Well, you know, there's this really hot place down-town I'd like to go dine in tonight...

Reckon it's called Spicy Sensations. Still, wasabi on sandwiches is pretty new to me. Be intrigued to find out how well it blends in. You must see wasabi as butter lol. Probably as replacement too :P

LadyMermaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LadyMermaid
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I just love whole grain mustard. However, about tomato souse and mayo - only the ones that I make at home.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 madrocketeer

@omegamaster:

Nope, I just use it instead of mustard. Most "Wasabi" is just dyed horseradish anyway. Same sort of flavour, but with a bit more satisfying kick.

That said, Wasabi as butter substitute? Hmm. I think you've just given me an idea...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86

@Byshop said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

As for the op's question, like most I suppose it depends on what I'm putting it on but ketchup is more universal for me. However, I prefer a good BBQ sauce on just about everything.

-Byshop

Makes sense given your preference for Ketchup. Many BBQ sauces use ketchup as a base ingredient, if not ketchup most others use vinegar which is also a component ingredient to ketchup.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@Byshop said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

-Byshop

Makes sense given your preference for Ketchup. Many BBQ sauces use ketchup as a base ingredient, if not ketchup most others use vinegar which is also a component ingredient to ketchup.

I'm a big fan of those Carolina vinegar-based sauces. Vinegar- and mustard-based. Great for when you need something to cut the richness of the meat.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@shellcase86 said:
@Byshop said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

-Byshop

I'm a big fan of those Carolina vinegar-based sauces. Vinegar- and mustard-based. Great for when you need something to cut the richness of the meat.

I love a good smokey, tangy bbq sauce. Around here one of the better brands is sweet baby rays.

Kenlog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kenlog
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

I buy 0,5 kilo of chicken breasts, cut them into small pieces. Then i mix one egg until it's liquid an prepare dried bread crumbs.

Dip the pieces into the egg mixture, and roll it in the crumbs. It's like mcdonald's chicken nuggets, just softer and more delish.

Now i always make the sauce 50/50 Mayo and Ketchup. To someone who tried it, it won't sound that weird. It's actually tasty and fits well with chicken. Just don't make too much and dip a little. :P

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#32 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I can't stand ketchup by itself anymore. It has to be mixed with something. Mayo, Miracle Whip, Ranch. I also usually blend it with hot sauces, and I mean the really hot sauces made from ghost pepper, Trinidad scorpions or Carolina Reapers.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Mustard is the healthiest of the three. It contains practically zero calories as it's essentially mustard seed, vinegar and salt.

I enjoy all three condiments, and all have their uses. I prefer Miracle Whip to traditional mayonnaise on sandwiches.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I like both, just depends on what it is or my mood. I've grown a taste for mustard, i use more of it than ketchup.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

None, I always go natural if you know what I mean ;)

RichardBachman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RichardBachman
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

I only seek out mustard. If someone puts mayo or ketchup on a burger I won't turn it down, but I never buy them or request them on anything.

Bluesman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bluesman89
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

I like all. Depends on the food.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yes I came on here too to praise the mighty HP brown sauce. I started using it this year and found you cannot accept a substitute to HP, not even Heinz, when it comes to brown sauce, or 'spicy brown mustard' as one of our American friends called it. I even bought 2 so I have backups of it now.

Also, mustard on a sausage is just the trick.

guccibrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By guccibrick
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

mayo, i like it with both burgers and fries

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shellcase86

@jackamomo said:

@uninspiredcup: Yes I came on here too to praise the mighty HP brown sauce. I started using it this year and found you cannot accept a substitute to HP, not even Heinz, when it comes to brown sauce, or 'spicy brown mustard' as one of our American friends called it. I even bought 2 so I have backups of it now.

Also, mustard on a sausage is just the trick.

Mustard on pork in general is great. If you prepare your own meals; rub mustard onto a pork shoulder blade or chop, cook, and season with black pepper, salt, and cumin -- great stuff!

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@shellcase86: I actually cooked pork for the first time this year. I also made incisions and jammed garlic into it (a tip I read). That works too, but is not a sauce. Can't do crackling though.

Avatar image for dr_van_nostrand
Dr_Van_Nostrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dr_Van_Nostrand
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

German Mustard

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shellcase86

@jackamomo said:

@shellcase86: I actually cooked pork for the first time this year. I also made incisions and jammed garlic into it (a tip I read). That works too, but is not a sauce. Can't do crackling though.

Nice! I've done that for a roast before, adds great garlic flavor.

MariaTwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MariaTwitch
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

That really depends on what I'm putting it on. In most cases I prefer Ketchup though. It's the healthiest.

Avatar image for dr_van_nostrand
Dr_Van_Nostrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dr_Van_Nostrand
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

Loads of butter is always good.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I dislike all 3. In fact those are some of my most hated foods.

bazza218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bazza218

Mustard

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I love mustard. Mayo is good on some things, but I'm not crazy about it. Ketchup is blech. I'm from Chicago, so it's never acceptable to put on hot dogs, but I don't get people who put it on fries either. It just drowns out the taste.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

I'm big on condiments myself. Ketchup only goes on hot dogs, burgers and some chicken sandwiches for me. Deli sandwiches I like dripping in mayo and mustard. Don't like standard yellow mustard though. Gotta be deli style, honey mustard or something like Beaver brand sweet/hot mustard. Also like Miracle Whip but most delis don't have so I keep a jar at home.

davidylolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 davidylolly

Definitely tomato