Do you play 'Risk?'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cu_be_cie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cu_be_cie
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

If you've played RISK, I'm sure you've come up with a strategy that you liked.

For me, I always liked to control Europe, since it was in the center of everything and had the quickest access to most of the continents, which was also part of its disadvantage as it could be attacked from anywhere.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8688 Posts
it looks like a cool game but i don't understand it
omfg_its_dally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 omfg_its_dally
Member since 2006 • 8068 Posts
I've actually never learned how to play Risk. I'm more of a Monopoly guy.
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

Taking Africa always worked well for me. Not for the bonus but for the influence. S. America is easy to conquer after you have Africa, and you can stop everybody else from getting their bonuses by taking on Middle East and S. Europe =D. Good times!

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

I play it as a custom map in warcraft 3.

cu_be_cie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cu_be_cie

Taking Africa always worked well for me. Not for the bonus but for the influence. S. America is easy to conquer after you have Africa, and you can stop everybody else from getting their bonuses by taking on Middle East and S. Europe =D. Good times!

p00zer

There's always some guy who always tries to take Australia.

Have you ever noticed this?

RHCPlusXbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RHCPlusXbox
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts
I usually take the oceans and them command the sea creatures to drown the armies of the land.
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 p00zer

[QUOTE="p00zer"]

cu_be_cie

Yeah of course =). Australia's fun 'cause no one cares about you, and you get to stockpile a billion troops. It's a good continent if you know you'll lose anyways =D.

FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

Played it once. It was fun, but a little too simplistic. If there was a little bit more depth it would be even better.

Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts

[QUOTE="p00zer"]

cu_be_cie

It is an easy continent to get and controlling it will give you a bonus. I love Risk. For anyone who has not played, you are missing out. I really have no strategy. I usually end up failing all the time. Most of the time I try to take over asia first.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Never have...
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 p00zer

[QUOTE="cu_be_cie"]

[QUOTE="p00zer"]

Avistann

It is an easy continent to get and controlling it will give you a bonus. I love Risk. For anyone who has not played, you are missing out. I really have no strategy. I usually end up failing all the time. Most of the time I try to take over asia first.

Ah yikes. Rushing Asia is suicide =(.

Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avistann

[QUOTE="Avistann"][QUOTE="cu_be_cie"]

p00zer

:lol: I know, I never learn :P
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14904 Posts

I love Risk. My general strategy is to secure North America...ahhhh that games fun. It's been a while.

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22656 Posts
Australia makes for a nice fortress and whoever controls it usually makes it to the endgame. Though, it's harder to expand. I prefer starting in the Americas. South America gives a nice bonus and gives you room to expand. Taking over both Americas you'll get the same bonus as you would Asia and there's only 3 points of entry, so keeping those defended is easier than Europe or Asia.
Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Avistann
Weird thing is that I also was talking to my dad a few days ago about teaching my girlfriend how to play. I want to play again :P We have a REALLY old version. Our pieces are just squares and triangles.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70370 Posts
Yeah, a bit when I was a kid. I never owned the actual board game myself but I would play with friends occassionally before the whole digital age was upon us, that is kind of what we did was break out those board games. That is what kind of got me interested in RTS type games like the original Command and Conquer back in the day.
LeGoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LeGoofyGoober
Member since 2009 • 3168 Posts

i have the board game. its tough

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="Avistann"]Weird thing is that I also was talking to my dad a few days ago about teaching my girlfriend how to play. I want to play again :P We have a REALLY old version. Our pieces are just squares and triangles.

I have that same version. :)
cu_be_cie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cu_be_cie

[QUOTE="p00zer"]

[QUOTE="Avistann"] It is an easy continent to get and controlling it will give you a bonus. I love Risk. For anyone who has not played, you are missing out. I really have no strategy. I usually end up failing all the time. Most of the time I try to take over asia first.Avistann

:lol: I know, I never learn :P

If you are going to rush Asia, you should also try to 'contaminate' at least two other contintents, such as Australia, North America, Europe, or Africa.

I reccomend Europe and North Africa, because if you can disrupt those large reinforment bonuses for other players, it'll help you that they can't get them.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
I like to take Australia and move to Southeastern Asia then to Russia and spread like swine flu, I prefer to stay away from Africa till the end just because in the real world there's no point in taking Africa, its just dirty and full of disease.
vito_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 vito_128
Member since 2006 • 7136 Posts
Australia be my fortress. From there, the rush into Asia is into inevitable.
FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FishSquared
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts
Halo Risk FTW
Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

For I guess my Risk board, you hold Indonesia, nobody is getting through to Australia :P, that's why I try to aim for it. If not, I usually end up taking North America (controlling South America of course), holding Kamchatka while invading Europe, saving Asia for last if I hold out that long. Although 7 additional guys are nice, it's not worth the struggle most of the time.

Risk isn't THAT deep, but a huge part of the game that makes it amazing to play is the diplomacy. Who can be a good ally, knowing when to screw over your buddy or when to give up land to him...

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24248 Posts
I've played it a few times, yes.
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
Halo Risk FTWFishSquared
halo risk it out? thought it wasnt for a month or two. you do mean the new version right? but on topic, I love risk me and my nephew use to play it. he was like 9-11 yrs old and I would stomp him everytime, but after awhile he got better and for some reason my dice rolls sucked everytime...and i mean everytime! lol anyway, I've wanted to try another game like Axis and Allies, Dust, World War IV, etc but still confused on which one to try. they all look like they have their advantages and dis
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19090 Posts
I play risk. I play risk A LOT! =D In warcraft3, i was in a custom map clan that only played and competed in RISK for over 2 years, im talking 2-5 risk games a day, every day. Yum it was lovely, its the only single reason why i even had warcraft3 roc/tft installed. =] In my boarding school, we had the board game there too, so i used to play RISK against the teachers every weekend. Ah the times, the times. Its the best game in my opinion. =] Strategies? South america, i always went for south america, and then crept into africa very early in the game. From there, i usually go into north america, but without actually taking it, just using the territories to keep feeding my deck, turtling until i could strike the european continent. The problem with this strategy, is that when you play against experienced RISK players, they pretty much all apply this strategy, not counting in the few that try to rush the European continent, or that one lonely turtler in Australia with 5 cannons aimed towards asia. Bla bla bla i talk a lot about risk.
Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts

Risk is ok but it takes WAY too long to play. You guys should check out some German board games. Settlers of Catan, Power Grid, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride etc...I just pickec up Space Alert, but i haven't had the chance to play it yet.BoardGameGeek.com is an AMAZING site for board games. If you haven't seen any european games, it will open up an entire world of board games we just hardly see over here in America. Once someone introduced me to those board games, i have been buying far more board gmes than video games

They publish board gamereviews in germanyalong side movie and book reveiws.Board games really have come a LONG way since the old school monopoly and Risk. Don't get me wrong i loved them, but these other games just are so much better it's hard to even compare them.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]I play risk. I play risk A LOT! =D In warcraft3, i was in a custom map clan that only played and competed in RISK for over 2 years, im talking 2-5 risk games a day, every day. Yum it was lovely, its the only single reason why i even had warcraft3 roc/tft installed. =] In my boarding school, we had the board game there too, so i used to play RISK against the teachers every weekend. Ah the times, the times. Its the best game in my opinion. =] Strategies? South america, i always went for south america, and then crept into africa very early in the game. From there, i usually go into north america, but without actually taking it, just using the territories to keep feeding my deck, turtling until i could strike the european continent. The problem with this strategy, is that when you play against experienced RISK players, they pretty much all apply this strategy, not counting in the few that try to rush the European continent, or that one lonely turtler in Australia with 5 cannons aimed towards asia. Bla bla bla i talk a lot about risk.

In high school, every summer I would play every day with two buddies. There was a lot of fighting and it strained our friendships. :P
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _en1gma_

Risk is ok but it takes WAY too long to play. You guys should check out some German board games. Settlers of Catan, Power Grid, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride etc...I just pickec up Space Alert, but i haven't had the chance to play it yet.BoardGameGeek.com is an AMAZING site for board games. If you haven't seen any european games, it will open up an entire world of board games we just hardly see over here in America. Once someone introduced me to those board games, i have been buying far more board gmes than video games

They publish board gamereviews in germanyalong side movie and book reveiws.Board games really have come a LONG way since the old school monopoly and Risk. Don't get me wrong i loved them, but these other games just are so much better it's hard to even compare them.

Poedon
What do you recommend for those who like Risk?
Poedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Poedon
Member since 2002 • 2594 Posts

Im not much into war games, but alot of people like Battleloreor the line of Memoir'44.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BiancaDK
In high school, every summer I would play every day with two buddies. There was a lot of fighting and it strained our friendships. :P_en1gma_
Yup, many a friendships have been lost in the battlefields of asia. "omg just leave, i only need that one territory". me:"nope, i cant let you have it. You will grow too strong." "but i will help you, dont you understand? Just look at North America, he will kill us all" me:"either you will kill me or he will kill me, whats the difference for me, really?" "why must you ruin MY fun?" etc.etc. Sigh. I wish people couldnt talk during risk.
KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

I've never played Risk or Monopoly

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]In high school, every summer I would play every day with two buddies. There was a lot of fighting and it strained our friendships. :PBiancaDK
Yup, many a friendships have been lost in the battlefields of asia. "omg just leave, i only need that one territory". me:"nope, i cant let you have it. You will grow too strong." "but i will help you, dont you understand? Just look at North America, he will kill us all" me:"either you will kill me or he will kill me, whats the difference for me, really?" "why must you ruin MY fun?" etc.etc. Sigh. I wish people couldnt talk during risk.

I know that's so true. Ahh you would have laughed seeing my Risk games with friends.. imagine three very argumentative and egotistical high school jerks playing. We would pretty much argue about every single roll of the dice..have random private team-ups against the other guy, lots of backstabbing, a couple of board-throwing. If only I had them recorded. :P We still have a few good games...just waaay too competitive lol But talking MAKES Risk fun I think! :)
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115351 Posts
Yup, the very first time I played, I won. :P
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BiancaDK
lol But talking MAKES Risk fun I think! :)_en1gma_
Yeah, it does, but that really depends on who is talking, tho. =d On the interwebz, there is just too much trash talk. I have been called everything under the sun, i believe =] In a private boardgame with friends, sure, its hella fun! =D
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]lol But talking MAKES Risk fun I think! :)BiancaDK
Yeah, it does, but that really depends on who is talking, tho. =d On the interwebz, there is just too much trash talk. I have been called everything under the sun, i believe =] In a private boardgame with friends, sure, its hella fun! =D

Hmm..I never tried playing online.. I might try it out. I personally enjoy trash talk :P
gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamertylers
Member since 2005 • 1976 Posts

I play it as a custom map in warcraft 3.

Trinners
I've played it as a custom map on Starcraft :P I don't play the board game much because I always tend to get bad dice rolls.
Maddy_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Maddy_K
Member since 2009 • 510 Posts

I have never lost a game of risk. One of the keys is to switch your strategy up. My friends and family have been trying to beat me for years. Sometimes I feel bad for my sister (she takes it especially hard), but not bad enough to throw the game. I can't tell you the elements of my strategy, we may meet in battle some day.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Don't have the board game, but I do play against the computer once in a while. HoldingAustralia is the easiest.

ColonelRadec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ColonelRadec
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts
I never really had the chance to play it because none of my friends like strategy games.