mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

I'm a little bit worried because i'm kinda addicted to high volume or loud music with headset on, there are tons of articles out there showing that it can damage your hearing and whatnot ... I'm curious to know how you listen to music with what volume and have you got any hearing problems...

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Nah, not since I was in my 20's.

And yes, it can damage your hearing.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Most definitely have suffered hearing damage from multiple sources over the years, music included. In fact, I went to a Behemoth/Goatwhore/1349/Black Crown Initiate show a couple springs ago without proper hearing protection and stood a few feet away from the stage.

I lost all my hearing in my right ear and most of it in my left ear for about a day and a half. It came back, yes, but I don't think it was the same.

That said, I still haven't learned my lesson and often listen to my extreme metal a little too loud.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I probably listen to music a bit louder than is necessary... I also play the guitar quite loudly (my neighbours are saints, putting up with all that noise and not a single complaint in 8 years!).

Nothing, however, is louder than the music in the clubs I go to.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mjorh

@foxhound_fox said:

Most definitely have suffered hearing damage from multiple sources over the years, music included. In fact, I went to a Behemoth/Goatwhore/1349/Black Crown Initiate show a couple springs ago without proper hearing protection and stood a few feet away from the stage.

I lost all my hearing in my right ear and most of it in my left ear for about a day and a half. It came back, yes, but I don't think it was the same.

That said, I still haven't learned my lesson and often listen to my extreme metal a little too loud.

That's the point... Metal is meant to be loud... with some genres it's almost impossible to not listen with high volumes , but i'm gonna try to adapt from now on ...

@ianhh6 said:

I probably listen to music a bit louder than is necessary... I also play the guitar quite loudly (my neighbours are saints, putting up with all that noise and not a single complaint in 8 years!).

You must be deaf if we are to take the articles seriously :D

i don't think temporary loud music would cause permanent damage tho

@AFBrat77 said:

Nah, not since I was in my 20's.

And yes, it can damage your hearing.

Good!

How old are you now? (if you don't mind asking)

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Catalli  Moderator

@mjorh said:
@ianhh6 said:

Haha no, not my case I think :P There's also a big difference between loud music through speakers and loud music through ear/headphones. I do more of the former.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mjorh

@ianhh6 said:
@mjorh said:
@ianhh6 said:

Haha no, not my case I think :P There's also a big difference between loud music through speakers and loud music through ear/headphones. I do more of the former.

:D Yeah , unfortunately i do more of the latter.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I do like loud music. Trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about really unless you're going to live shows and not protecting your hearing. The volume level at concerts is insane (and tons of people go to those without ear plugs, including me sometimes). It's absolutely nothing like you hear through headphones or speakers. Some shows will leave your ears ringing for days. Usually mine will ring for 24 hours before it's back to the way it was (roughly).

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mjorh

@KHAndAnime said:

I do like loud music. Trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about really unless you're going to live shows and not protecting your hearing. The volume level at concerts is insane (and tons of people go to those without ear plugs, including me sometimes). It's absolutely nothing like you hear through headphones or speakers. Some shows will leave your ears ringing for days. Usually mine will ring for 24 hours before it's back to the way it was (roughly).

Okay then ...*Turns up the volume"

Damn that's tough!

I've never been in a concert and unless i migrate somewhere else i'll never be, because i have no fav native band here.

@Motokid6 said:

I like too, but I dont like isolating myself. I listen to loud music I miss phone calls, I miss doorbells. I dont like that.

You've got a point.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

That is the only way to listen to music.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Catalli  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

I've only been to a few big concerts, but the ringing never lasted for more than a day afterwards. I also get some ringing after going out to a club, and I do that more often soo.... Let's hope it's not that bad XD

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

no.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I warm up listening with the volume at 30 then I stay at 50. Depending of how much I like a song (and the quality available) I can go to 100.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

That might have been because of the terrible music you were listening to not loudness

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@Aljosa23 said:

That might have been because of the terrible music you were listening to not loudness

Oh shut up. You listen to hip hop, don't you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@foxhound_fox said:
@Aljosa23 said:

Oh shut up. You listen to hip hop, don't you?

Rarely and only older stuff then.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 foxhound_fox

@Aljosa23 said:

So I could very easily shit on your music taste as well.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

I'm always listening to loud music. My hearing is still immaculate. Yay for some great genes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@foxhound_fox said:
@Aljosa23 said:

So I could very easily shit on your music taste as well.

Yeah but it wouldn't be as funny as the joke I made earlier lol :p

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAAAAY?!

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#22 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

I listen to loud music all the time in my car. I know I shouldn't because it will damage my hearing, but loud rock music is just too damn good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58631 Posts

Play loud music running, helps pass the time.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Yes, and my hearing is already going out pretty badly in my right ear...

I really need to start taking care of myself more tbh, my eyesight is going out too because of how much time I spend in front of a screen.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@mjorh:

50's

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18782 Posts

@AFBrat77:

Mets bullpen sucks.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I typically only listen to music really loud while playing games, or playing guitar. If I use my headphones I typically have it at about half volume. My metal always sounds so good really loud.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

Yes. I listen at max. Anything below and I can't hear it or don't enjoy it. I don't go to concerts.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

@Iszdope: Neither.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

When i seen metallica i was at the front to the left in front of a speaker, i was nearly deaf for about 2 days.

Concerts seem to hurt your hearing the most, i probabily go to a concert once per year so I dont go often enough to do seroiis damage.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#34 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No not anymore I'm too old to pump up the music.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mjorh
@SOedipus said:

I'm always listening to loud music. My hearing is still immaculate. Yay for some great genes.

lmao , i say that about my eyes :D

@thehig1 said:

When i seen metallica i was at the front to the left in front of a speaker, i was nearly deaf for about 2 days.

Concerts seem to hurt your hearing the most, i probabily go to a concert once per year so I dont go often enough to do seroiis damage.

Damn, it definitely worth it tho :D, Metallica <3

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I wish not to. At first, I always put my music volume on the middle and then gradually go a bit higher and saying to myself, "Just little louder won't hurt." And boy do I hate that feeling. On the upside, I can still hear clearly.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I wanted 2 of them boom boxes on back to the future. But I do listen to loud music mainly 2 steps from hell. Awsome theme tune music.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@mjorh said:

I'm a little bit worried because i'm kinda addicted to high volume or loud music with headset on, there are tons of articles out there showing that it can damage your hearing and whatnot ... I'm curious to know how you listen to music with what volume and have you got any hearing problems...

I used to be a DJ, so i do listen to super loud music. I put the volume all the way up on my pc, and my headphones, even my home theater. But i have good hearing, i can hear a raindrop hit my roof. So i don't know how much loud music you have to listen to, so start damaging your hearing.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Loud music is about the only way I can grind GameSpot's moderation/tech support queue these days.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mjorh

@LexLas said:
@mjorh said:

I used to be a DJ, so i do listen to super loud music. I put the volume all the way up on my pc, and my headphones, even my home theater. But i have good hearing, i can hear a raindrop hit my roof. So i don't know how much loud music you have to listen to, so start damaging your hearing.

Wow! Now i'm not worried :D

@DigitalDame said:

Loud music is about the only way I can grind GameSpot's moderation/tech support queue these days.

Man i guess i've never seen you before :D. Take it easy and post more !

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Not to the point it's the only thing i can hear.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I do listen to genres like metal and punk, but I keep it at a reasonable volume. I've always been concerned about protecting my hearing.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@mjorh: Working on it. Also trying to get other staff members in here. Perhaps I need to bribe them with more candy? I know that one of our fearless leaders (@mondoben) is a big metal head.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

generally no

mondoben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45 mondoben  Staff
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

@DigitalDame said:

@mjorh: Working on it. Also trying to get other staff members in here. Perhaps I need to bribe them with more candy? I know that one of our fearless leaders (@mondoben) is a big metal head.

I am indeed - been listening to all forms of metal/thrash/death/doom/stoner metal since aged 13 (i just turned 40). I've also played in various bands over the years, and attending alot of metal concerts over the years (the most recent being Judas Priest/Mastodon and AC/DC in the last month) can definitely have a negative effect on your hearing. It's all a moderation thing - loud music is meant to be heard loud, obviously - and if you're attending concerts several times a month you should probably think about getting some ear protection - there are some amazing ear plugs out there that slightly reduce the impact of the sound on your ear drums, but without sacrificing volume or clarity.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#46  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yeah, I love listening to my music cranked up. It help brings out the power behind it.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mjorh

@mondoben said:
@DigitalDame said:

I am indeed - been listening to all forms of metal/thrash/death/doom/stoner metal since aged 13 (i just turned 40). I've also played in various bands over the years, and attending alot of metal concerts over the years (the most recent being Judas Priest/Mastodon and AC/DC in the last month) can definitely have a negative effect on your hearing. It's all a moderation thing - loud music is meant to be heard loud, obviously - and if you're attending concerts several times a month you should probably think about getting some ear protection - there are some amazing ear plugs out there that slightly reduce the impact of the sound on your ear drums, but without sacrificing volume or clarity.

But you haven't got any, right?

i don't attend concerts ('cuz there isn't any :D) and from what i've gathered there's not much to worry about ...

mondoben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48 mondoben  Staff
Member since 2006 • 43 Posts

When i was attending shows regularly - pre-kids - i did start wearing some ear protection as ringing would last longer and longer. No i only go to a few shows a year so don't both.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I should really turn down the volume on my headphones while running....

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Only at the gym to isolate myself and drown out the noise from the equipment and the.. I don't know what you call it, impact noise(?) when on the treadmill. Even then maybe 70% of what I would consider my maximum.

So no... not really.