Do you like/still enjoy Harry Potter?

The_Vampress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Do you like/still enjoy Harry Potter? (19 votes)

Yes 42%
No 47%
Meh... 11%
What's HaRry PoTteR? 0%

And go!

I still enjoy watching the movies from time to time while gaming. Delightful background watching material.

And just because....

• 
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I gotta say the Harry Potter movies are kinda meh and a little boring.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Yes, for the most part.

The books have aged well, the movies not so much (but I still think they are good).

@DEVILinIRON said:

I gotta say the Harry Potter movies are kinda meh and a little boring.

They have not aged well as a whole. The last few are still good imo, but because the books and movies were made for a single crowd of people and aged along with those people, they are sort of stuck in time in my opinion.

I very much like them all still, but unlike a lot of shows or films made for kids, they don't appeal to me as an adult the same way say a Disney cartoon or something like Avatar The Last Airbender might.

With that said, I think what the film series managed to do was quite impressive; they got a cast of people with a core trio of young actors and they made these films over a span of years consistently and well.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23905 Posts

The first few books were pretty consistant in tone. Afterwards it just dropped off, when it didnt know if it wanted to be serious or whimsical.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

My wife and son loved the series. I never got the appeal. A school full of the supposedly top wizards in the world have to rely on a 12 year old to solve all their problems. They should all be fired.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

I find them sorta alright. Not amazing, not bad, just meh.

When there was this whole Harry Potter vs Lord of the Rings duelling works, I was very firmly on the LOTR side.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Mehh.. I liked it as a kid after watching the first film, but could not follow the series because I wasn't very interested.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

Used to (& still) enjoy Harry Potter movies and read a few books as well and as of now, I move to the Fantastic Beast series and so looking forward to Fantastic Beast: The Secrets of Dumbledore next year. Fantastic Beast is more flesh out IMO than it was for Harry Potter. Also, I'm so excited for the game Hogwarts Legacy releasing 2022 as it's the first HP game that's open-world and most of all, focuses on the world of HP and has little connection to Fantastic Beast.

As @mrbojangles25 pointed out, the films haven't aged well and that's probably the fact the first film was released in November 2001, and there's a year gap between using film tech vs 2011 on the last HP film, so yeah, they really didn't age well and films like Lord of the Rings have aged well. The Deathly Hollows part 1/2 are still good to watch today's standards.

As for Harry Potter himself. Harry at times can be seen as a lame hero. He's such a whiny nerd in the movies, and Hermione is shown to be the greater leader endlessly throughout the series can be like WTH at times. He inherited his vast fortune from his dead parents, he has all this wealth but does not know what to do with it. I wish J.K Rowling could've done more for Potter but oh well.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2407 Posts

Never got into it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@davillain- said:

As for Harry Potter himself. Harry at times can be seen as a lame hero. He's such a whiny nerd in the movies, and Hermione is shown to be the greater leader endlessly throughout the series can be like WTH at times. He inherited his vast fortune from his dead parents, he has all this wealth but does not know what to do with it. I wish J.K Rowling could've done more for Potter but oh well.

Yeah, I like Harry don't get me wrong, and I'm not making this argument in a serious manner, but you could probably write a doctoral thesis on how Harry Potter is the epitome of white male privilege :P

• Comes from a wealthy, respected family.
  • White, English-speaking European (or British person I guess)
  • Innate gift that seems to give him an advantage no matter where he goes.
  • And, arguably above all else, Harry seems to fail upward.
    • While ultimately he ends up being an OK wizard (I think) by the end of it all, for most of his journey it is either through the efforts of his friends, peers, and teachers; or through sheer happenstance; or through magical miracles that he is successful.
    • If left to his own devices, or born into a more ordinary life, Harry likely would have died in any number of encounters.
    • Hell, even his moniker "The boy who lived" is a testament to how he is such a recipient of his privilege.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

It's ok. The first few books were alright. First movie was pretty good. The rest is pretty terrible.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Could never get into it.

Movies are always on at Christmas and what not.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Harry Potter is the shit. Second best thing to come from Britain.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I love Harry Potter. I consider myself lucky growing up with those books and movies. That said, I'm nowhere near crazy about the world of Harry Potter as I was at a younger age.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56079 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I love Harry Potter. I consider myself lucky growing up with those books and movies. That said, I'm nowhere near crazy about the world of Harry Potter as I was at a younger age.

Do you like the Fantastic Beast by any chance?

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 975 Posts

The books were amazing. The merchandising on the other hand is terrible. Including the movies. I wish the author would right more HP books but it doesn't seem to be happening.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@davillain- said:
@johnd13 said:

Do you like the Fantastic Beast by any chance?

The first one was a decent enough spinoff. We got to see the wizarding world of the US and some cool magical creatures. The characters were also quite good.

The second movie left me indifferent. The story of how Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald is certainly intriguing but the way they're pushing Newt Scamander and the fantastic beasts into creating an entire franchise on them (I think they have plans for 5 movies all in all) feels forced to say the least and detracts from the overarching narrative IMO. They're trying to milk the HP world and that results in mediocrity all around.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@davillain- said:

Yeah, I like Harry don't get me wrong, and I'm not making this argument in a serious manner, but you could probably write a doctoral thesis on how Harry Potter is the epitome of white male privilege :P

• Comes from a wealthy, respected family.
  • White, English-speaking European (or British person I guess)
  • Innate gift that seems to give him an advantage no matter where he goes.
  • And, arguably above all else, Harry seems to fail upward.
    • While ultimately he ends up being an OK wizard (I think) by the end of it all, for most of his journey it is either through the efforts of his friends, peers, and teachers; or through sheer happenstance; or through magical miracles that he is successful.
    • If left to his own devices, or born into a more ordinary life, Harry likely would have died in any number of encounters.
    • Hell, even his moniker "The boy who lived" is a testament to how he is such a recipient of his privilege.

His only talent is quidditch(spelling?). Granted I haven't read more than the books and only watched the movies, but doesn't at least a portion of his magical power simply coming from being part Voldemort? Most noticeable the ability to speak with snakes.

It's a long revenge story, that's for sure. :P

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Books? Continuity was not strong. Too much deus ex machina. Harry was a poor hero. Actually preferred the Snape character because he had a strong story arc. Which seems to have been by accident as the author was clueless.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#20 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I am. To be totally honest, I have only ever watched the first three films from start to finish. As for the rest, just bits and pieces as they were released.

It's in the back of my mind that I should just sit down and marathon through them all someday, but who knows when that'll be and if it ever happens. Reading through the books is always an option too but I think the films would be easier for me to consume.

The_Vampress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21 The_Vampress
Member since 2006 • 6472 Posts

@davillain said:

Also, I'm so excited for the game Hogwarts Legacy releasing 2022 as it's the first HP game that's open-world and most of all, focuses on the world of HP and has little connection to Fantastic Beast.

I'm definitely giving that game a go when it comes out. Looks like fun.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

The movies are fun and enjoyable, but I was never an obsessed fan like many are; fun movies nonetheless.

My favorite entry in the series is easily Prisoner of Azkaban.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

I enjoy watching the movies especially when they run them in sequence like they just did over the Xmas break. Never read the books though..

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

I have no desire to watch the movies. I stopped reading the books somewhere in the middle of the fifth book. I also used to be a much more vivid reader back then. Reading a few pages every day before falling asleep at night.

Some day I will regain the joy of reading and then I will finish the rest of the Harry Potter series

Sammy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sammy00
Member since 2022 • 5 Posts

Yes. Harry Potter is something that I’ve been a fan of since I was four years old. I’m now 26. In 2017, my sister and I travelled to London to do the Leavesden Studios tour.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

No. Never could get into it. Definintely don't understand how they decided this was a franchise that needed to be incorporated into a theme park.