Do you like your supervisor? (Is my current grievance with mine justified?)

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

We've never been very friendly (or hostile) towards each other. I was disappointed when I was transferred back to her team two weeks ago. Anyway, the thing that annoys me right now is that she wanted to give one of my calls, the first one we listened to together since I went back to her team, an auto-fail because I didn't verify a customer's state. The beginning of the call went like this:

Me: "May I also have your full billing address, for security purposes?"

Customer gives me his street address.

Me: "I also need the city and zip code."

I'm not putting a customer's account at jeopardy by not having them tell me their state. A Los Angeles address with a 90000 zip code can't be in Florida or Texas or New York. A San Antonio address with a 78000 zip code can't be anywhere but Texas. She decided, after thinking about it, to let it go, but only because I didn't tell the customer any account-specific information, which put the score at 95/100. But it bothers me that she would even consider failing me for that.

I had a much better rapport with the supe I was with the last two months. He made me feel like I was a good agent. Hell, before this coaching, one of the trainers asked if someone could Y-jack with me (listen to some calls), letting me know that I'm one of the best on the floor right now. Said, "I think you're number two," which really surprised me.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

If that's the worst she's done then no, I wouldn't think the grievance is particularly justified. It's pretty ordinary to be honest. Certainly heard of and experienced worse supervisors than that.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

My supervisors are great, no issues.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58269 Posts

Devil's advocate, so read if you dare, but...

...If you did not follow protocol she was in the right to do that, and she went easy on you for not auto-failing. You should admit you messed up (even if you got around protocol to verify the state, it's still a screw up), and appreciate what she did for you; not only did she educate you (i.e. turn you into a better employee), but she didn't punish you for a potentially serious thing.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16877 Posts

This is coming from someone who used to be a call compliance analyst for someone that collected debts on behalf of various companies, and whose calls were regularly requested by said companies--your supervisor was justified in auto-failing that call. A lot of companies expect their calls to sound a certain way, and expect people who are collecting debts on their behalf to follow their protocols, and that includes verifying complete names and address. If they do not, under the The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), the company AND the person(s) collecting on their behalf--including the telephone representative--can be sued.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Sounds like you didn't do your job as required, and while you used logic to answer the question, it wasn't what was required of you. Sounds like a very petty reason to have a "grievance" with her.