Do you like Jack Nicholson's or Heath Ledger's catch phrase better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Jack Nicholson: "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Heath Ledger: "Why so serious?"

Personally, I think Nicholson's is definitely cooler. It's much more... insane, and coincides better with the character of The Joker, imo.

Remark: THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF NICHOLSON VS. LEDGER, BUT OF THEIR "CATCH PHRASES."

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#2 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
Nicholson's catch phrase was more pleasing to the ear, but Ledger's was so much more maniacal and evil. I go with Ledger's
Franken_Berry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Franken_Berry
Member since 2004 • 5968 Posts

Jack Nicholson: "Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?"

Personally, I think Nicholson's is definitely cooler. It's much more... insane, and coincides better with the character of The Joker, imo.

Remark: THIS IS NOT A COMPARISON OF NICHOLSON VS. LEDGER, BUT OF THEIR "CATCH PHRASES."

chessmaster1989
Heath Ledger was a waaaay better Joker than Nicholson.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Heath Ledgers. Jack Nicholsons just sounded way to cheesy.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts
I have to say as far as the catchphrases go Jack's is better but I still prefer Ledger in the part
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts
i love both, they are both epic and different
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

Franken_Berry

heath ledger is overrated you sheep. he played a good joker but has nothing on jack nicholson. the reason why people say he's so good is because he died. oscar nomination? just a sympathy award.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="Franken_Berry"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

supa_badman

heath ledger is overrated you sheep. he played a good joker but has nothing on jack nicholson. the reason why people say he's so good is because he died. oscar nomination? just a sympathy award.

It's not a comparison between the acting, it's between the catch phrases.. I would hardly call it a "sympathy award"...
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
I like Jacks catchphrase more.
NearTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NearTheEnd
Member since 2002 • 12184 Posts
Heath Ledger's catchphrase: "Mary Kate is my dealer."
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

supa_badman

I understand that you want to act like a non-conformist...but as I said in a similar thread, it doesn't change the fact that Heath Ledger joker was far, faaaaar superior to Jack Nicholson's in every way.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 supa_badman
[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="Franken_Berry"]Heath Ledger was a waaaay better Joker than Nicholson.sammyjenkis898

It's not a comparison between the acting, it's between the catch phrases.. I would hardly call it a "sympathy award"...

..still overrated. now you have t-shirts and emo girls going all over myspace saying " why so serious?" know why? cuz he's dead. heath ledger got far more respect as an actor and an icon because of his death, if he was still alive right now, not much wouldve changed.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="supa_badman"] heath ledger is overrated you sheep. he played a good joker but has nothing on jack nicholson. the reason why people say he's so good is because he died. oscar nomination? just a sympathy award.

..still overrated. now you have t-shirts and emo girls going all over myspace saying " why so serious?" know why? cuz he's dead. heath ledger got far more respect as an actor and an icon because of his death, if he was still alive right now, not much wouldve changed.

Not really. He was nominated for an academy award for Brokeback Mountain. I thought he was an amazing actor, even before his death.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 teh_destroyer
Member since 2004 • 35328 Posts

supa_badman

people were saying how good he was before he died :|.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 supa_badman
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] It's not a comparison between the acting, it's between the catch phrases.. I would hardly call it a "sympathy award"...

Not really. He was nominated for an academy award for Brokeback Mountain. I thought he was an amazing actor, even before his death.

who's one compared to the whole world? :o after that i didnt hear THAT much about him. it pains me to know that i know how many kids angelina jolie has, other than listening to what happens in heath ledgers life and his popularity because of his gay movie. but this off topic forum. and not whos the better actor forum.
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="supa_badman"] ..still overrated. now you have t-shirts and emo girls going all over myspace saying " why so serious?" know why? cuz he's dead. heath ledger got far more respect as an actor and an icon because of his death, if he was still alive right now, not much wouldve changed.supa_badman

who's one compared to the whole world? :o after that i didnt hear THAT much about him. it pains me to know that i know how many kids angelina jolie has, other than listening to what happens in heath ledgers life and his popularity because of his gay movie. but this off topic forum. and not whos the better actor forum.

The irony, most people that saw the Dark Knight disagree with you buddy

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Both are good, but Ledgers catch phrase as the joke sounds so much more insane and that's basically how the Joker is.
gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="supa_badman"] heath ledger is overrated you sheep. he played a good joker but has nothing on jack nicholson. the reason why people say he's so good is because he died. oscar nomination? just a sympathy award.supa_badman

Why does everyone think that Heath Ledger's performance was good because he died? That's not the case whatsoever; he was getting immense praise during filming, too...

Avatar image for deactivated-612079a2c3358
deactivated-612079a2c3358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-612079a2c3358
Member since 2004 • 1957 Posts
Both are good, but Ledgers catch phrase as the joke sounds so much more insane and that's basically how the Joker is.Treflis
I thought Nicholson's joker (and catchphrase) was more in line with the Joker of the original Batman comics.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 supa_badman

[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Not really. He was nominated for an academy award for Brokeback Mountain. I thought he was an amazing actor, even before his death. DanteSuikoden

The irony, most people that saw the Dark Knight disagree with you buddy

we were talking about brokeback mountain at the time. and his acting career after it.
Hey_Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hey_Jay
Member since 2004 • 7221 Posts
Given the maniacal tone in which "Why So Serious" is said? Heath Ledger's. It's a lot more iconic considering it's short and to the point.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Jack's is nicer to say to yourself. Sounds so nice and poetic. I don't remember his delivery though. I havn't seen Batman in about 4 or 5 years now.
Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Both are good, but Ledgers catch phrase as the joke sounds so much more insane and that's basically how the Joker is.Salvy41
I thought Nicholson's joker (and catchphrase) was more in line with the Joker of the original Batman comics.

I agree. A big part of the reason that I prefer Nicholson's Joker to Ledger's is because he's more the way that I'd always imagined the Joker to be while reading the comics.

I think both catchphrases do a pretty good job of illustrating certain aspects of the Joker's personality, but I think I like Ledger's more. I still much, much prefer Nicholson's performance over his though.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
Jack's is just so evil and twisted. I remember when I went to see Dark Knight on opening day I was kinda hoping that Heath would say it as a homage to the first one:(
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Jack's is just so evil and twisted. I remember when I went to see Dark Knight on opening day I was kinda hoping that Heath would say it as a homage to the first one:(-Sniper99-
I don't think they ever referenced anything from the old movies. Meh it may be better that way to keep the sagas separate and live on without mentioning them in the current series.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts
Heath Ledger wins, and I can say this without bias. I've watched the first Batman a ridiculous amount times since it came out in 89, and the movie based game for Genesis is one of my favorites of all time.