Do you just sit by and watch other people fail?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

So I have this friend who isn't doing to well with her school and she's just lazy, she complains that nothing ever works out, that she can't acomplish anything yet she sits infront of the computer the whole day without doing anything with her life.

Now I really want to get mad and just tell her the harsh truth but this will hurt her ofcourse... so OT the question is do YOU sit by and watch other people fail in life becuase you are too scared of telling them the truth or maybe just don't care?  

Also what do you think i should do in this situation?

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
You can't live someone else's life.
Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Tell her.......If she doesn't do anything, it's her loss................................

I try to help when someone requests my help, but I can only do so much..........I can't do everything if the person isn't doing anything at all.............

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
I can't just let someone throw their life away either.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I feel like I can't say a whole lot about your friend since I'm struggling to find a job right now. A lot of people say it's because I'm lazy, but it's really not at all. I've put in applications every where for the last two months.

I have a friend that is somewhat like yours, though. She sits around, complains, and wants to put no effort in to improve herself in anyway. I really wish I could help out, but I can't put the effort in for her.

FISTOROBOTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FISTOROBOTO
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
My girlfriends little sister makes horrible life choices. dates creepy older losers who cheat on her all the time, but she will not take advice. Every time someone tries to give her advice on her life she gets all defensive and bitchy. So what Im saying is its not easy to give someone advice when it comes to life choices and sometimes your forced to sit back and watch people you care about make poor choices. But I think we should always at least try to politely give our advice.. like I said though its not easy and people get defensive easily.
IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts
It is probably something she has to figure out herself. I don't know about her specific situation but trying to help someone who doesn't want to be helped is somewhat futile. I don't see any harm in talking about it, but it will probably help if you aren't angry when you do it. And remember that there are multiple ways to live life. She isn't throwing her life away or failing life or whatever. But like I said, I don't know what her specific situation is.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

only after playing KOTOR 2.  That Kreia...she has a way of making apathy appealing

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#9 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
yes I do. The failure of others amuses me.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
yes I do. The failure of others amuses me.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

yes I do. The failure of others amuses me. Allicrombie

mhm

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
I can't just let someone throw their life away either.zahyr
People need to change themselves. You can only provide advice and help if they really want it.
rocinante_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rocinante_
Member since 2012 • 1772 Posts

i'm always honest with my best bud, and vice versa; if he decides that my advice is contrary to his mindset, then that's his prerogative.

if you're real friends, she won't get upset when you call her out. sometimes it takes a push to be introspective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
Yeah well i guess.. that's life try to help out where you can but you can't live someone else's life. I'll try to talk to her if she wants to but I won't push it.
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
well at work, i watch this one guy i have to work with fail at doing everything work related. he can't even grind meat correctly. flips out, starts cursing, hitting the grinder when it gets clogged up with fat. pretty funny. he can't even peel potatoes the easy way. he should be fired.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c74ba2955026
deactivated-5c74ba2955026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c74ba2955026
Member since 2013 • 451 Posts

You can't save everybody 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c9b4fe90f2f5
[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"]well at work, i watch this one guy i have to work with fail at doing everything work related. he can't even grind meat correctly. flips out, starts cursing, hitting the grinder when it gets clogged up with fat. pretty funny. he can't even peel potatoes the easy way. he should be fired.

I wish I could care a little less about everyone... I would probably end up helping the guy.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
I'll help if they ask and I'll tell em that, but telling em it without them asking doesnt seem right. They gotta live their own life and failing at things is apart of living.
funkadelichika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 funkadelichika
Member since 2006 • 8904 Posts
Is she specifically asking you to fix her life? Or is she just complaining and expressing that she is having a hard time with life? No one can really 'fail' at life but perhaps not live up to some higher potential. I think whats important is that she seems to be expressing unhappiness which could stem from not achieving anything or somewhere else entirely. Rather then focusing on whether someone is failing at their life or not, try to think more along the lines of what makes someones life happier and more content and try to help them achieve that if they ask for your help and you really want to help them. Well this is what I would do anyways. Happiness doesn't always stem from achieving something but it can come purely from trying. (of course achieving and thriving doesn't hurt) :P
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21654 Posts
Yes, I'm really not interested in being anyone's crutch. I can only be generous enough to give advice and if I'm really feeling generous, a few bucks. That's about it...
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

You can't live someone else's life. chrisrooR

This

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
How well I know them and in what way, how receptive they are to advice, and how they respond to it are some key factors. I generally listen, probe, advise....and if if you keep getting negative results than I back off appropriately and let them figure it out.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Talk to her about what might be making her like this. As long as you're nice and you aren't invasive, you'll be fine.
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

You can't save everybody 

Starchaser187
That hurts the most when it comes to a relationship.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

So I have this friend who isn't doing to well with her school and she's just lazy, she complains that nothing ever works out, that she can't acomplish anything yet she sits infront of the computer the whole day without doing anything with her life.

Now I really want to get mad and just tell her the harsh truth but this will hurt her ofcourse... so OT the question is do YOU sit by and watch other people fail in life becuase you are too scared of telling them the truth or maybe just don't care?  

Also what do you think i should do in this situation?

zahyr

It's not your job to make sure everyone does well.

It's really condecending to think that you can set someone elses life straight.