Do you feel guilty for being born white?

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By gamerguru100

Poll Do you feel guilty for being born white? (97 votes)

Yes, I feel guilty for being born something I had absolutely no control over. *jumps off bridge* 11%
No, I am a logical person. 127%
I'm not white. 31%

Since this forum is dead, I hope this somewhat controversial topic will lead to somewhat civilized discussion.

To answer my own question:

I sure as hell don't feel guilty for being white. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Why should I, a person who was born in the late 20th century, feel guilty over the actions of some people who lived in the 19th century or early to mid-20th century just because we belong to the same race?

Should Turkish people feel guilty for the Armenian Genocide carried out by Turks in the early 20th century? Should Japanese feel guilty over the actions of the Imperial Japanese Army in the 1940s? I say no.

Every racial and ethnic group has blood on its hands, so there is no use feeling guilty about it. Humans can be really ugly sometimes, but people shouldn't be blaming themselves based on the actions of some people in their same ethnic group.

• 
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#151 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100: Haha, this has nothing to do with semantics.

Yes it does. You're trying to argue the meaning of the word European, which has varying definitions. In this case, the word refers to people who are descended from the indigenous peoples of Europe. Yes, anyone of any ethnicity can be called a European if they're a citizen of a European country, but in this case, it refers to people who are of ethnic European background.

You seem to be very confused, I'm not arguing the definition of the word "European."

I have a feeling that this is what you're trying to get at:"White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa."

Nowhere does that say that someone is white because they are European. You're mixing up race and ethnicity.

"You seem to be very confused". You say that in every other post you make. It's annoying.

Anyway...

A person of European descent is white, and anyone who is of European descent is universally considered to be white. And I'm not mixing up race and ethnicity. An ethnic Turk can be considered European if they have German citizenship, for example. But in this case, the word refers to people of European background. When I say, "ethnic European", I mean people who are ethnically English, German, French, Dutch, etc.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By gamerguru100

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@thegerg said:

Yes it does. You're trying to argue the meaning of the word European, which has varying definitions. In this case, the word refers to people who are descended from the indigenous peoples of Europe. Yes, anyone of any ethnicity can be called a European if they're a citizen of a European country, but in this case, it refers to people who are of ethnic European background.

You seem to be very confused, I'm not arguing the definition of the word "European."

I have a feeling that this is what you're trying to get at:"White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa."

Nowhere does that say that someone is white because they are European. You're mixing up race and ethnicity.

"You seem to be very confused". You say that in every other post you make. It's annoying.

Anyway...

A person of European descent is white, and anyone who is of European descent is universally considered to be white. And I'm not mixing up race and ethnicity. An ethnic Turk can be considered European if they have German citizenship, for example. But in this case, the word refers to people of European background. When I say, "ethnic European", I mean people who are ethnically English, German, French, Dutch, etc.

Not all persons of European descent are white, just as not all persons of African descent are black.

" "ethnic European", I mean people who are ethnically English, German, French, Dutch, etc."

OK, I agree. That's the first time you brought that up, and no one has disagreed with that.

" the word refers to people of European background. "

What word? The word "white" or the word "European"? You've kind of been jumping around here.

Being of European descent means having ancestors who were of ethnic European background, so all people who have ancestors who were either all or mostly of European ethnic background are indeed white. The word "European" in this case refers to people of ethnic European background. In the census definition of "White", the part where it says "European" is strictly referring to those descended from English, German, French, and other European groups.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#155  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

You mentioned Germans and the Holocaust... Jews are white.

I'm sure some would argue against that. Most people say Jews are just a religious group, rather than ethnoreligious group. While anyone can convert to Judaism, I'd still think of Jews as an ethnoreligious group. Perhaps they're a European-Middle Eastern hybrid ethnicity, but I don't know whether most people would consider them white or if Jews themselves would consider themselves white. You would need to conduct a poll to find that out.

Jews are overwhelmingly Middle Eastern. It's definitely a Middle Eastern ethnicity. Now there's definitely non-middle eastern influence, but I would think very few ethnic groups are "pure" like that. Other middle eastern ethnicities also has non-middle eastern influence for sure.

In any case, as a Jew I consider myself to be middle eastern. If that and white are mutually exclusive then I guess I am not white.

Middle East is Caucasian......for the most. There really is only three "races". And no....you can't convert into an ethnicity.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Ok, so I decided to check this thread out after all...

No, I don't feel guilty for my caucasian roots, or even the country I was born in. That would be a pretty pointless thing to worry about.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@thegerg said:

In any case the pic you provided is a very bad example for your case as he does not originate from any of the original peoples of Europe and is thus not European in the sense that gamerguru was implying.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By themajormayor

@LJS9502_basic said:

@themajormayor said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@EagleEyedOne said:

You mentioned Germans and the Holocaust... Jews are white.

I'm sure some would argue against that. Most people say Jews are just a religious group, rather than ethnoreligious group. While anyone can convert to Judaism, I'd still think of Jews as an ethnoreligious group. Perhaps they're a European-Middle Eastern hybrid ethnicity, but I don't know whether most people would consider them white or if Jews themselves would consider themselves white. You would need to conduct a poll to find that out.

Jews are overwhelmingly Middle Eastern. It's definitely a Middle Eastern ethnicity. Now there's definitely non-middle eastern influence, but I would think very few ethnic groups are "pure" like that. Other middle eastern ethnicities also has non-middle eastern influence for sure.

In any case, as a Jew I consider myself to be middle eastern. If that and white are mutually exclusive then I guess I am not white.

Middle East is Caucasian......for the most. There really is only three "races". And no....you can't convert into an ethnicity.

Yes you can.

"Ethnic religion may include officially sanctioned and organized civil religions with an organized clergy, but they are characterized in that adherents generally are defined by their ethnicity, and conversion essentially equates to cultural assimilation to the people in question."

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 themajormayor

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@thegerg said:

In any case the pic you provided is a very bad example for your case as he does not originate from any of the original peoples of Europe and is thus not European in the sense that gamerguru was implying.

"he does not originate from any of the original peoples of Europe"

Exactly, that's my point.

So he's not white and not european in the sense that we are talking about. So what exactly is your point?

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#163  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I think many people look white race as "angelic" ...

and perception of black race as heavy duty "strongman"

while east asian race as the "brain"

similar to what some RPG games did, generalise race

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

I feel guilty for being born white and I'm not even white or black or brown.

As for white people having a social advantage in the US/West, it's true they do, and I've done my best to carry on the status quo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#165 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@CleanPlayer: Per capita, I think there are more millionares in Japan.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By gamerguru100

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@themajormayor said:

@thegerg said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@thegerg said:

"he does not originate from any of the original peoples of Europe"

Exactly, that's my point.

So he's not white and not european in the sense that we are talking about. So what exactly is your point?

My point is simply that the statement "The US Census Bureau considers Middle Easterners to be white, along with Europeans and North Africans" is just incorrect. A more correct statement would define a white person as "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa."

Oh for fucks sake, gerg. You were getting your panties in a twist just because I said "Middle Easterners and Europeans" instead of "people with origins in any of the original peoples of the Middle East and Europe"? Get off my Internet, sir. Oh, but before you do that, make sure to go masturbate to the article on semantics on Wikipedia; I wouldn't want you getting withdrawals. That would be the end of us all. D:

wolf503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 269

#167  Edited By wolf503
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts

1 thing people need to remember is that we are all born good, innocent and nondiscriminatory. It's the people who bring you into this world that can shape whether this changes or not.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

pff guilty? i enjoy it...i like being the dominant race.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@Crunchy_Nuts: And why do you think white people tend to have more of a social advantage? Do you really think its based on the color of their skin?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#171  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Murderstyle75 said:

@Crunchy_Nuts: And why do you think white people tend to have more of a social advantage? Do you really think its based on the color of their skin?

As far as whites having a social advantage over blacks (there's different dynamics at play with other races), it has to do with history. Whites, in the US, have not historically faced the same level of discrimination and oppression. And although that discrimination and oppression has decreased to a high degree over the years, its effects are still ingrained in society, especially considering that some of that oppression/discrimination was happening not so long ago.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Murderstyle75

You can only use the discrimination card for so long though before you finally have to take personal responsiblity. I know plenty of black people who are far more successful than I am. Knowing how to speak proper English really goes a long way. In the real world, you can't talk like a hip hop artist and expect to go anywhere in life. I can't even count how many people I did not hire because they can't leave slang and Ebonics out of a job interview.

And further more, maybe its time black people stopped naming their kids, off the wall ethnic names that come from a country they have never even been to. Some I think are made up even. America is a melting pot and even my Italian ancestors had to Americanize our last name. But wait. Aren't we white racists? According to Spike Lee we are.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By GreySeal9

@Murderstyle75 said:

You can only use the discrimination card for so long though before you finally have to take personal responsiblity. I know plenty of black people who are far more successful than I am. Knowing how to speak proper English really goes a long way. In the real world, you can't talk like a hip hop artist and expect to go anywhere in life. I can't even count how many people I did not hire because they can't leave slang and Ebonics out of a job interview.

And further more, maybe its time black people stopped naming their kids, off the wall ethnic names that come from a country they have never even been to. Some I think are made up even. America is a melting pot and even my Italian ancestors had to Americanize our last name. But wait. Aren't we white racists? According to Spike Lee we are.

I should have known better than to expect an intelligent response from you. It seems pretty clear that you're just using my post as a launchpad to vent about "black culture."

I didn't say one should use the discrimination card to avoid responsibility. I agree that one should not dwell on it. I'm simply acknowledging that discrimination and oppression do have effects on the social positions of races today; it doesn't make sense to think that all that history will not effect the present. To deny the effects of history is straight up ignorant.

I have no idea what Spike Lee has to do with anything and I didn't say anything about whites being racist (why in the world are you asking "aren't we whites racist?"). Furthermore, your bit about what black people name their kids is just you showing that you have a chip on your shoulder that you probably should do something about. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving your kids African names or made up names.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#174 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

not white :P

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Murderstyle75

@GreySeal9:

Nothing wrong with it to you maybe however you are setting them up for failure on a resume. Hate to say it but a black girl named Jennifer is going to get the job interview over a black girl names Laquanda. Just as a white person named Robert or Michael will get the interview before Buck, Cleatus or Bodean.

As for the Spike Lee thing, I'm talking about Do The Right Thing where he threw every Italian stereotype out there to make them look like ignorant racist assholes.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By GreySeal9

@Murderstyle75 said:

@GreySeal9:

Nothing wrong with it to you maybe however you are setting them up for failure on a resume. Hate to say it but a black girl named Jennifer is going to get the job interview over a black girl names Laquanda. Just as a white person named Robert or Michael will get the interview before Buck, Cleatus or Bodean

I think that you're projecting your own views onto everyone else. I've seen plenty of people with exotic/ethnic names in good positions.

Some employers will prejudge based on one's name while others will not.

And really, if Jennifer would get the job interview over Laquanda based solely on their names, that says something more about that employer than about the name.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 GreySeal9

@Murderstyle75 said:
As for the Spike Lee thing, I'm talking about Do The Right Thing where he threw every Italian stereotype out there to make them look like ignorant racist assholes.

But what does that have to with our conversation?

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Murderstyle75

@GreySeal9:

It has a lot to do with the conversation because it was racist propaganda, making yet another Caucasian ethnic group look racist in support of the pro black agenda while using every racist stereotype they possibly could against Italians. What's wven worse is the NAACP called the film, "Powerful". I was actually highly offended by the film.

As for the name thing? You can say its a problem with the employer but just like my Italian ancestors having to change our family name years ago, this is life. Even politicians of all races including white have changed their names to make themselves much more appealing on a ballot.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By GreySeal9

@Murderstyle75 said:

@GreySeal9:

It has a lot to do with the conversation because it was racist propaganda, making yet another Caucasian ethnic group look racist in support of the pro black agenda while using every racist stereotype they possibly could against Italians. What's wven worse is the NAACP called the film, "Powerful". I was actually highly offended by the film.

As for the name thing? You can say its a problem with the employer but just like my Italian ancestors having to change our family name years ago, this is life. Even politicians of all races including white have changed their names to make themselves much more appealing on a ballot.

This was my original post:

"As far as whites having a social advantage over blacks (there's different dynamics at play with other races), it has to do with history. Whites, in the US, have not historically faced the same level of discrimination and oppression. And although that discrimination and oppression has decreased to a high degree over the years, its effects are still ingrained in society, especially considering that some of that oppression/discrimination was happening not so long ago."

What in the world does all this ranting about making whites looks racist have to do with that particular post (or any post after that)? My post did not suggest in any way that white people are racist.

It seems to me that you are simply using this conversation as a launchpad to vent about your racial biases and grievances.

Like I said, I've seen people with exotic/ethnic names in good positions. That doesn't mean that there is not a certain amount of prejudging in society when it comes to certain names, just that there are plenty of employers that will not discriminate based on a name. You're acting like ethnic/exotic names are going to absolutely hinder one in seeking employment, which is not true.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#180 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It keeps me up at night.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By GreySeal9

And as for politicians changing their name on ballots, whether there is a need to do so really depends on the area in which one is running. Nationally, it doesn't seem particularly necessary, considering that the President, who was re-elected, is named Barack Hussein Obama, which is pretty damn exotic.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

I'm glad I'm white.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#183 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

No. All or most ethnic groups have committed atrocious crimes, even unto their own people. Being white, black, mixed, or whatever isn't a choice nor should it be held against anyone.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#185  Edited By Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Sometimes when my parents aren't home I like to paint myself orange, bury myself, and pretend that I'm a carrot. So to answer this question yes I wish I was born a carrot and not white.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

why does this thread still exist?

It needs to die.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

No one should feel guilty for being born who they are.

And on that note, time to lock a thread that should have been closed already.