Do you favor a particular Bible verse? Tell us.

• 198 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

I see this is just like the gamespot video on system wars...you are not defending your religion, you are defending your character.  You have intertwined your religion with your personality, and as such you think me criticising your theism is criticising your character.  And you still didn't answer my question...I'm guessing you don't know why you follow it.

Nope.  I wasn't referring to myself at all.

Also, In this thread, i don't have a 'belief.'  Being an atheist is not a belief system.  I was hoping you'd understand that

Being atheist you believe there is no God.  You cannot prove you are correct.  Therefore, it's belief.

As for the barbaric book...well, then...

I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law (Luke 12:49-53).

Jesus' proclamation of the kingdom is a refining and purifying fire.  Not a literal scripture text.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

You cannot follow Jesus if you have hate in your heart. He is about love.

Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. (Matthew 10:21-22)

Hint at what will happen to those that follow Him.  Hint..they are the victims. Those who stand firm in their faith will be saved.

He that is not with me is against me. (Matthew 12:30 and Luke 11:23)

Right.  You are either with or against someone.  You have chosen some very odd texts to disagree with it.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me (Matthew 10:34-38).

Same as above vis a vis His disciples not be accepted by their own people for following Him.

Acts 5 is also fun, where Ananias and Sapphira, who sold their property and gave only part of the proceeds to the new Christian community. Peter gets the Holy Spirit to strike them dead for holding some back from him.

wis3boi

You really don't understand the scripture in the least.  I have respect for someone that cannot find faith but at least understands the simple text.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

I see this is just like the gamespot video on system wars...you are not defending your religion, you are defending your character.  You have intertwined your religion with your personality, and as such you think me criticising your theism is criticising your character.  And you still didn't answer my question...I'm guessing you don't know why you follow it.

Nope.  I wasn't referring to myself at all.

Also, In this thread, i don't have a 'belief.'  Being an atheist is not a belief system.  I was hoping you'd understand that

Being atheist you believe there is no God.  You cannot prove you are correct.  Therefore, it's belief.

As for the barbaric book...well, then...

I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law (Luke 12:49-53).

Jesus' proclamation of the kingdom is a refining and purifying fire.  Not a literal scripture text.

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. (Luke 14:26)

You cannot follow Jesus if you have hate in your heart. He is about love.

Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. (Matthew 10:21-22)

Hint at what will happen to those that follow Him.  Hint..they are the victims. Those who stand firm in their faith will be saved.

He that is not with me is against me. (Matthew 12:30 and Luke 11:23)

Right.  You are either with or against someone.  You have chosen some very odd texts to disagree with it.

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me (Matthew 10:34-38).

Same as above vis a vis His disciples not be accepted by their own people for following Him.

Acts 5 is also fun, where Ananias and Sapphira, who sold their property and gave only part of the proceeds to the new Christian community. Peter gets the Holy Spirit to strike them dead for holding some back from him.

LJS9502_basic

You really don't understand the scripture in the least.  I have respect for someone that cannot find faith but at least understands the simple text.

You'll justify any act it seems, esepcially from a god that has a body count of 25 million in the bible, as long as you get to keep your faith.  And no, atheism is not the belief that there is no god...you made that up yourself.  I do understand these texts, I was in the catholic church and involved with it for 17 years.  It's really sad to see the only response you have to critcism of your myth book is to tell me im reading it wrong. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 LJS9502_basic

You'll justify any act it seems, esepcially from a god that has a body count of 25 million in the bible, as long as you get to keep your faith.  And no, atheism is not the belief that there is no god...you made that up yourself.  I do understand these texts, I was in the catholic church and involved with it for 17 years.  It's really sad to see the only response you have to critcism of your myth book is to tell me im reading it wrong. 

wis3boi
I haven't justified anything. You picked the scripture without understanding the meaning. Just another ignorant person that bashes what they don't understand. Kudos for upholding the stereotype.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

LJS9502_basic

I haven't justified anything. You picked the scripture without understanding the meaning. Just another ignorant person that bashes what they don't understand. Kudos for upholding the stereotype.

You can study scripture for decades and not learn a thing.  There are millions of christians that disagree with YOUR own interpretations, too.  Again, justifying a book of murder, genocide, rape, and inhumane ideas.  And you keep drinking the koolaid.  Anyone who doesnt read into the texts the same things as you is 'ignorant.'  How adorable.  You can keep your dogma that you believe only because of accident of birth, I'm not thirsty for your ancient koolaid that was fed to you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

You can study scripture for decades and not learn a thing.  There are millions of christians that disagree with YOUR own interpretations, too.  Again, justifying a book of murder, genocide, rape, and inhumane ideas.  And you keep drinking the koolaid.  Anyone who doesnt read into the texts the same things as you is 'ignorant.'  How adorable.  You can keep your dogma that you believe only because of accident of birth, I'm not thirsty for your ancient koolaid that was fed to you.

It's not MY interpretation. :|
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I haven't justified anything. You picked the scripture without understanding the meaning. Just another ignorant person that bashes what they don't understand. Kudos for upholding the stereotype.LJS9502_basic

Yea, you were fed it from the peanut gallery since birth, and if you were not raised as a christian, you came to it because nearly everyone around you is one too.  There are 41,000 Christian denominations, all with their own interpretations...yours just happens to be the correct one, hmm? How very very lucky for you, to have chosen the one correct one.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 LJS9502_basic

wis3boi

Yea, you were fed it from the peanut gallery since birth, and if you were not raised as a christian, you came to it because nearly everyone around you is one too.  There are 41,000 Christian denominations, all with their own interpretations...yours just happens to be the correct one, hmm? How very very lucky for you, to have chosen the one correct one.

No no I wasn't. Does it make you feel secure to believe that though? The scripture you selected wasn't even anything that required much knowledge to figure out. I could understand symbolism being difficult for you....but actual words? Kind of sad dude....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] It's not MY interpretation. :|LJS9502_basic

No no I wasn't. Does it make you feel secure to believe that though? The scripture you selected wasn't even anything that required much knowledge to figure out. I could understand symbolism being difficult for you....but actual words? Kind of sad dude....

You talk a lot but say nothing that adressed what I brought up.  You continue to brush everything over with vague statements that hold no value.  I can see you aren't interesting in discussing it, just saying things for the sake of saying something.  I really don't give a shit what your book says, as none of your christian brethren have been able to in the past 2000 years shown why anyone should consider what it says at all to begin with over a book like the Illiad or Alice in Wonderland.  It's just a sad, poorly written and immoral text from the ancient middle east and nothing more.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 LJS9502_basic

wis3boi

You talk a lot but say nothing that adressed what I brought up.  You continue to brush everything over with vague statements that hold no value.  I can see you aren't interesting in discussing it, just saying things for the sake of saying something.  I really don't give a shit what your book says, as none of your christian brethren have been able to in the past 2000 years shown why anyone should consider what it says at all to begin with over a book like the Illiad or Alice in Wonderland.  It's just a sad, poorly written and immoral text from the ancient middle east and nothing more.

I don't take a damn thing you say seriously...that's why. Your posts in this thread validated that I'm correct in this. YOU made the mistakes...and whining about denominations doesn't change that. They do not interpret the scripture as you did. In short, if you want to be taken seriously in a discussion...do some studying on the subject rather than posting silly arguments.
Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

wis3boi

Good to see someone bashing a religion to feel better about their beliefs. What a joke you are.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

The one about getting stoned.

theone86

Amen. 

*sparks up*

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

wis3boi

Atheism isn't the belief that there is no god? That's the reason I've been calling myself an atheist all these years...because I don't believe in god. That's what atheism meant when I was growing up. When did the word change? I'm always amazed at how fast words can change. 

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#163 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I would say Revelations 21.6

Specifically because Liam Neeson recited it to me.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] In the NT...the answer would be that you shouldn't think any less of someone who is gay or a different religion. I guess it depends on what you are using for a barometer. Serraph105

I saw a great video called the Gay Debate where someone spent an hour going into great detail using the bible as an argument in favour of gay marriage. It's a great video that I recommend to anyone whether you're religious or not. It truly demonstrates that you can believe in the bible and its teaching and still promote gay marriage. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY

I'm already one of the people who do, but hypothetically speaking if when I die I find out that God finds the anti-gay marriage stance to be the more favorable of the two I would be compelled to tell him why I think he's wrong. I wonder if God would hold that against me or indeed anyone who had the gall to tell him he is wrong when it comes to certain issues. Would they still be accepted into heaven?

It's hard to say. Since the only passage in the bible that specifically states that homosexuality is wrong is in the OT then I would assume if God is against homosexuality then we're talking the OT God... And in that case, you're pretty much screwed if you talk back against him. Which sucks. I favour the NT interpretation who doesn't condemn homosexuality. But even if he didn't like it, he seems to be all about forgiveness and love now so he'd probably forgive you for talking back against him.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Tropictrain

Atheism isn't the belief that there is no god? That's the reason I've been calling myself an atheist all these years...because I don't believe in god. That's what atheism meant when I was growing up. When did the word change? I'm always amazed at how fast words can change. 

I think his point was it's the lack of a belief. Like not believing in unicorns isn't a belief, it's just more of a non-thought.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#166 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Please give it up and learn some respect.Tropictrain
I do respect a person's right to hold a belief. I do not however need to respect their "right" to not have their beliefs criticized. I enjoy watching hypocrites try to defend their contradictory beliefs. People who react to my criticisms clearly are not comfortable with their beliefs, nor are they in the least bit sensible (for if faith is the ground upon which their beliefs are built, then my rationality and logic cannot touch them). You are being overly sensitive for the religious, and you need not be.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]Please give it up and learn some respect.foxhound_fox
I do respect a person's right to hold a belief. I do not however need to respect their "right" to not have their beliefs criticized. I enjoy watching hypocrites try to defend their contradictory beliefs. People who react to my criticisms clearly are not comfortable with their beliefs, nor are they in the least bit sensible (for if faith is the ground upon which their beliefs are built, then my rationality and logic cannot touch them). You are being overly sensitive for the religious, and you need not be.

LOL feel like a big man now fox?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 foxhound_fox
LOL feel like a big man now fox?LJS9502_basic
Always when you are around, love.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Tropictrain

it's the LACK of belief, not the assertion that there is no god.  That's taking things a whole step further.

If you and I came across a giant jar of gumballs, and you said there were an even number of gumballs in there, I'd not believe you.  If you said there were an odd number of gumballs, I'd also not believe you.  It's a rejection of the claims provided, not making a claim itself until it has enough reasonable evidence to.

Now, if you want to know about my personal postion...I am unsure of any possible gods that may exist.  I do not claim knowledge of them or their existence.  However, of all the major religions on Earth, especially the abrahamic god, I am positive that being does not exist.  It takes a theist to define their god before I can state my position.

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts

ITT: 3v3ysz.jpg

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

it's the LACK of belief, not the assertion that there is no god.  That's taking things a whole step further.

If you and I came across a giant jar of gumballs, and you said there were an even number of gumballs in there, I'd not believe you.  If you said there were an odd number of gumballs, I'd also not believe you.  It's a rejection of the claims provided, not making a claim itself until it has enough reasonable evidence to.

Now, if you want to know about my personal postion...I am unsure of any possible gods that may exist.  I do not claim knowledge of them or their existence.  However, of all the major religions on Earth, especially the abrahamic god, I am positive that being does not exist.  It takes a theist to define their god before I can state my position.

It sounds like you're an agnostic, not an atheist. Atheists believe there is no God. It is therefore a belief.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Tropictrain

It sounds like you're an agnostic, not an atheist. Atheists believe there is no God. It is therefore a belief.

Learning the terms for your own positions helps...

Agnostic%252520v%252520Gnostic%252520v%2

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

Learning the terms for your own positions helps...

Agnostic%252520v%252520Gnostic%252520v%2

So where is the lack of belief here? Both agnostic and gnostic atheists clearly believe gods don't exist. 

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#174 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
You talk a lot but say nothingwis3boi
How do you think he got to 148k posts? I mean, aside from having an obscene amount of free time.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts
So where is the lack of belief here? Both agnostic and gnostic atheists clearly believe gods don't exist. Tropictrain
Are you being dense on purpose to troll, or are you just an idiot? I can't honestly tell.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]So where is the lack of belief here? Both agnostic and gnostic atheists clearly believe gods don't exist. Randolph
Are you being dense on purpose to troll, or are you just an idiot? I can't honestly tell.

I'm being serious. I don't troll. "Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist." 

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Randolph"][QUOTE="Tropictrain"]So where is the lack of belief here? Both agnostic and gnostic atheists clearly believe gods don't exist. Tropictrain

I'm being serious. I don't troll. "Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist." 

Redefine it however you wish, that's the way it is, sorry.  Go into the philosophy department of any university and you'll get the same answer

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Ezekiel 23:20: There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. It's like bad erotic fanfiction writing.XilePrincess
My new favorite passage.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 wis3boi

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Ezekiel 23:20: There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. It's like bad erotic fanfiction writing.MakeMeaSammitch

My new favorite passage.

Fifty Shades of Ezekiel

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]You talk a lot but say nothingRandolph
How do you think he got to 148k posts? I mean, aside from having an obscene amount of free time.

What sparkling wit.....such originality....and aligning with a known troll. Kudos all around dude...
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#182 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts
[QUOTE="Randolph"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]You talk a lot but say nothingLJS9502_basic

What sparkling wit.....such originality....and aligning with a known troll. Kudos all around dude...

This thread needs to die...
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#183 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No no I wasn't. Does it make you feel secure to believe that though? The scripture you selected wasn't even anything that required much knowledge to figure out. I could understand symbolism being difficult for you....but actual words? Kind of sad dude....LJS9502_basic

I don't take a damn thing you say seriously...that's why. Your posts in this thread validated that I'm correct in this. YOU made the mistakes...and whining about denominations doesn't change that. They do not interpret the scripture as you did. In short, if you want to be taken seriously in a discussion...do some studying on the subject rather than posting silly arguments.

I see you enjoy banging your head against walls, LJ.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="Randolph"] Are you being dense on purpose to troll, or are you just an idiot? I can't honestly tell.wis3boi

Redefine it however you wish, that's the way it is, sorry.  Go into the philosophy department of any university and you'll get the same answer

Never was a big fan of philosophy. I'm a pre-service English teacher. And they clearly mean the same thing. Therefore, atheism is a belief. 

meatgrinderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 meatgrinderz
Member since 2010 • 1329 Posts

No. I haven't flipped through a Bible in probably 10 years, so I don't have a favorite verse.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#186 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Moderators, please lock this thread because it is proceeding too different than the topic.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 foxhound_fox
"Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."Tropictrain
There is a subtle difference you are missing. An agnostic atheist says "I do not believe in a God, but do not know this for sure (i.e. 100%)". A gnostic atheist says "I do not believe in a God, and do know this for sure". Gnostic atheists are extremely rare and usually only occur in adolescence. Most atheists, when challenged, will only assert an agnostic stance ultimately. Even Christopher Hitchens was an agnostic atheist, he just rejected the idea that the Abrahamic God is "just, loving, benevolent, etc".
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]"Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."foxhound_fox
There is a subtle difference you are missing. An agnostic atheist says "I do not believe in a God, but do not know this for sure (i.e. 100%)". A gnostic atheist says "I do not believe in a God, and do know this for sure". Gnostic atheists are extremely rare and usually only occur in adolescence. Most atheists, when challenged, will only assert an agnostic stance ultimately. Even Christopher Hitchens was an agnostic atheist, he just rejected the idea that the Abrahamic God is "just, loving, benevolent, etc".

I didn't say agnostic and gnostic atheists are the same. I said ""Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."" My argument was that atheism is a belief. "Does not believe any gods exist" was listed at the top in both categories. Therefore both believe gods don't exist. One claims to know they don't and the other doesn't. This I understand. But the fact remains that atheists "Do not believe any gods exist." And you refuse to tell me how that is different than "Believes gods do not exist." 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 foxhound_fox
Never was a big fan of philosophy. I'm a pre-service English teacher. And they clearly mean the same thing. Therefore, atheism is a belief. Tropictrain
These definitions are not bound by English semantics, they are very clearly defined through philosophy (which is a different but similar field). The "agnostic/gnostic" being used in conjunction with the "a/theism" changes the meaning of both words.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 foxhound_fox
I didn't say agnostic and gnostic atheists are the same. I said ""Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."" My argument was that atheism is a belief. "Does not believe any gods exist" was listed at the top in both categories. Therefore both believe gods don't exist. One claims to know they don't and the other doesn't. This I understand. But the fact remains that atheists "Do not believe any gods exist." And you refuse to tell me how that is different than "Believes gods do not exist." Tropictrain
Those two phrases are very similar, and not sufficient to explain the difference between an agnostic and gnostic atheist.
Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Tropictrain

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]I didn't say agnostic and gnostic atheists are the same. I said ""Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."" My argument was that atheism is a belief. "Does not believe any gods exist" was listed at the top in both categories. Therefore both believe gods don't exist. One claims to know they don't and the other doesn't. This I understand. But the fact remains that atheists "Do not believe any gods exist." And you refuse to tell me how that is different than "Believes gods do not exist." foxhound_fox
Those two phrases are very similar, and not sufficient to explain the difference between an agnostic and gnostic atheist.

I still don't think you understand what I'm asking. I don't care about the difference between an agnostic or gnostic atheist. My question has absolutely nothing to do with that. 

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#192 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I find it moderately upsetting how often OT feels the need to debate the definition of atheism.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Ezekiel 23:20: There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. It's like bad erotic fanfiction writing.wis3boi

My new favorite passage.

Fifty Shades of Ezekiel

I actually laughed out loud.

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#194 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

I told you all the atheists were here to pick a fight.

"Peaceful discussion"... "debate"... bullshit. You can only have a debate if you're open to changing your mind on certain things, and it's clear that the "anti-God squad" shut the door on that a LONG time ago.

I don't push my beliefs or my faith on others... apparently, OT's atheists don't share my restraint.

I was brought up to respect other people's beliefs, even if I didn't agree with them. Such an open display of disrespect for the TC and his faith absolutely disgusts me, and degrades anyone who participates in it. It's sad that people have stooped so low.

Bran, I apologize for sidetracking this into a holy war. I have a temper, and I'm not afraid to admit it. However, if I hadn't stood up and pointed out that you were, indeed, being mocked, I would have blown an aneurysm.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#195 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I told you all the atheists were here to pick a fight.

"Peaceful discussion"... "debate"... bullshit. You can only have a debate if you're open to changing your mind on certain things, and it's clear that the "anti-God squad" shut the door on that a LONG time ago.

I don't push my beliefs or my faith on others... apparently, OT's atheists don't share my restraint.

I was brought up to respect other people's beliefs, even if I didn't agree with them. Such an open display of disrespect for the TC and his faith absolutely disgusts me, and degrades anyone who participates in it. It's sad that people have stooped so low.

Bran, I apologize for sidetracking this into a holy war. I have a temper, and I'm not afraid to admit it. However, if I hadn't stood up and pointed out that you were, indeed, being mocked, I would have blown an aneurysm.

OrkHammer007

Open to changing your mind is not the same thing as accepting anything and everything that people happen to suggest as true.  In order to change rational people's minds you have to make a rational argument, asnd the argument for god is anything but rational.

Define "push."

I think atheist srespect other people's beliefs, they respect them insofar as they're important to religious people, which is all they really deserve.  If you mean respect on an intellectual level with theological arguments being taken seriously despite the total and complete lack of evidence, despite all the evidence pointing in the opposite direction, despite better explanations for just about everything, then no they don't respect their beliefs, nor should they.  Beliefs do not automatically deserve unqualified respect just because they are beliefs.

You're right, perhaps we should stop mocking Bran and start mocking you.  "Derp, beliefs deserve to be respected just because they're beliefs, derp!  I have to respect Charles Manson because killing people was part of his belief system, derp!"  I get an aneurysm when stupid people act like we should respect anything that comes out of any idiot's mouth just because they could muster the breath to say it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Tropictrain"]"Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."Tropictrain

I didn't say agnostic and gnostic atheists are the same. I said ""Does not believe any gods exist." is the exact same thing as "Believes gods do not exist."" My argument was that atheism is a belief. "Does not believe any gods exist" was listed at the top in both categories. Therefore both believe gods don't exist. One claims to know they don't and the other doesn't. This I understand. But the fact remains that atheists "Do not believe any gods exist." And you refuse to tell me how that is different than "Believes gods do not exist." 

i would guess hardcore atheists would say it's not a belief but a fact that god does not exist.  They don't believe it, they know it

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] There is a subtle difference you are missing. An agnostic atheist says "I do not believe in a God, but do not know this for sure (i.e. 100%)". A gnostic atheist says "I do not believe in a God, and do know this for sure". Gnostic atheists are extremely rare and usually only occur in adolescence. Most atheists, when challenged, will only assert an agnostic stance ultimately. Even Christopher Hitchens was an agnostic atheist, he just rejected the idea that the Abrahamic God is "just, loving, benevolent, etc".lostrib

i would guess hardcore atheists would say it's not a belief but a fact that god does not exist.  They don't believe it, they know it

Then they are lying to themselves. They don't "know" it...
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Locked by request of the TC.