Do you ever buy refurbished electronics?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5691 Posts

I accidentally bought a refurbished TV off of Amazon. So I'm pretty nervous. I've seen video clips that turn out to be horror stories when they show the insides of various refurbished consoles.

Do you go refurbished when you buy electronics or do you buy new all the time?

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5250 Posts

N64 game one time that I remember but that was it I avoid refurbished at all cost hopefully you have no issues with your tv.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 2948 Posts

Yes and had bad experiences. They work at first but not for long so I only buy brand new. Not that brand new doesn't mean it won't crap out but so far I've never really had any issues with new gear. Perhaps the real issue is who refurbished it and how well it's inspected or what get's replaced. I have heard that Samsung has really good refurbished gear but I think a lot of companies outsource and the worst is the products where you have to pay to have it shipped for return and won't see it again for 6+ weeks.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 15970 Posts

I've bought electronics used, but never refurbished before. Not sure if I can ever that that plunge.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5137 Posts

Only worth buying Apple refurbished, as new every time. Not sure if other manufacturers do the same thing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46929 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

I've bought electronics used, but never refurbished before. Not sure if I can ever that that plunge.

What is the difference between refurbished and used?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 45819 Posts

All the time and so far I haven't had an issue. All my phones and my X1X are refurbished.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: used is usually a product that is re-sold once opened, usually without a proper warranty. Refurbished is something that is returned to a store or manufacturer for whatever reason, tested to see if it works, (repaired if necessary), then resold, at a discounted price.

It's probably better to buy refurbished because you can get a nice discount if you're strapped for cash, and a lot of places offer a warranty, provided you don't mind the product not looking brand new. I'm just naturally apprehensive. Plus, I don't buy used products that often, anyway.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6317 Posts

Oh yeah.

I'm pretty good with electronics and I like to tinker.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46929 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@mrbojangles25: used is usually a product that is re-sold once opened, usually without a proper warranty. Refurbished is something that is returned to a store or manufacturer for whatever reason, tested to see if it works, (repaired if necessary), then resold, at a discounted price.

It's probably better to buy refurbished because you can get a nice discount if you're strapped for cash, and a lot of places offer a warranty, provided you don't mind the product not looking brand new. I'm just naturally apprehensive. Plus, I don't buy used products that often, anyway.

ah OK it's like buying a used car from the dealer vs buying a used car from some dude.

Was actually contemplaying this for my next PC build; I've got an old 4th gen Intel CPU and I want to make a micro-ATX build, unfortunately most of the new boards are sold out.

Then I see the refurbished ones and they're like 300 dollars! Guess they are rare mobos now so the price goes up. But damn, 300 dollars for a used mobo? For a 5+ year old CPU?!?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19841 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

ah OK it's like buying a used car from the dealer vs buying a used car from some dude.

Was actually contemplaying this for my next PC build; I've got an old 4th gen Intel CPU and I want to make a micro-ATX build, unfortunately most of the new boards are sold out.

Then I see the refurbished ones and they're like 300 dollars! Guess they are rare mobos now so the price goes up. But damn, 300 dollars for a used mobo? For a 5+ year old CPU?!?

Refurbs may also be manufacturer repairs. The benefit of a refurb is you get a warranty, albeit a shorter one typically. Amazon's refurbished products get 90 days, but generally I don't think that's enough for the meager discount they give you typically.

Whether I buy refurb or even used depends on what it is. Monitors I probably wouldn't because there are so many little things that can be wrong with monitors that wouldn't be covered under warranty like blacklight bleed, individual dead pixels, etc.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30712 Posts

I prefer to buy new myself. I’ve never had any bad experiences that make buy new, it’s just a personal preference for me.

Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 499 Posts

Try not to

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 255 Posts

I’ve gotten pre owned games before but I never go for refurbished when it comes to anything big.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4846 Posts

50/50.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 42525 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

Same here. Buying used electronics such as gaming consoles and stuff like that I have better experience but not for refurbished items.

claymoreman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 claymoreman23
Member since 2019 • 157 Posts

refurbished especially consoles.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@davillain- said:
@hallenbeck77 said:

Same here. Buying used electronics such as gaming consoles and stuff like that I have better experience but not for refurbished items.

Not too long ago I almost bought Sony's high-end noise canceling headphones for around $250--normal price was a hundred buck more, until I saw they were refurbished. I probably would have been ok if I had bought it, but $250 is still a lot of money, never mind the full amount. I just saved up and bought new--just needed that piece of mind.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 9

#19 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2484 Posts

Not that this first story is necessarily about refurbishing, but my grandmother purchased a phone for me just last year actually for fairly cheap. An LG G6.

The business that we bought it from turned around and said that the only model they had left in stock was the display model. Because of this, I was kind of expecting that'd take some money off of the initial price we had paid and give us some kind of a small refund. But I don't think they did.

Anyway, we received it in the mail after some time and the charger as well as the phone smelt like it had been wiped down with alcohol wipes. (I understand that they probably had to do that but personally, it was gross. I could have just done that myself if need be.)

Another time might have been a Dell laptop that my parents bought refurbished for me years ago. In saying all of this though, I've never personally bought any electronics refurbished. Just used. If I need to get inside the system, blow the dust out and give it a wipe down, I'll do that myself.

Not so much for consoles, but on the other hand I do buy used games when they're harder to come by and cheap enough. Mainly through Ebay but have had some really good experiences using CeX as well so far.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5691 Posts

Well I've assembled and plugged in all the plugs for consoles and whatnot. TV seems to work fine. *Crosses fingers*

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#21 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9256 Posts

The last time I bought something refurbished was a Wii U for my father in law. That was back in 2014 or 2015. I bought it from Nintendo's web site. It was DOA. Cleaned, tested and inspected - yeah right. I haven't bothered since.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By narlymech  Online
Member since 2009 • 1900 Posts

I bought a refurbished windows 10 computer off ebay/newegg for 100. It's lasted a good long time so I'm happy with it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 34810 Posts

I've bought both refurb and used computers in the past. My current laptop is a pre-owned Sony Vaio that I bought in 2014(ish). Now I got that from a trusted friend for a fairly inexpensive price point so take that into account, but it's still going strong, and I use it for school work, surfing the web (usually when I'm supposed to be doing school work), and running plex off of it.

My wife bought a refurb laptop from Staples, a hp spectre x360 (15 inch) last year and I think it was around $900 something dollars and it's a great laptop. I don't think I've had a bad experience with refurbished products and consider it a great way to save some money.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 136 Posts

Almost all the time

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1221 Posts

Got a refurbished PS3 because it was impossible to get a brand new one of the same model. Runs exemplary smooth and never sounds like a jet-engine like the one I had before!

However I once bought a GBA SP refurbished and it was a nightmare, at the site there was all talk about that the guy took soo much pride in his work and that he always does his best. However, the battery in the GBA SP was dead, the charger was also broken so I had to buy a new one of those. But even though I have changed those things it still short-circuits every 20 minutes... A real piece of junk 😔

louisekimzey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 louisekimzey
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Yes. but that is not good I have bought refurbished laptop and 2nd days that fan going off and i had facing big lose. then I had sell them and bought new laptop from https://www.seebiz.com/