Do you consider Sean Connery as best James Bond of all time?

Avatar image for carljohnsoncj
#1 Edited by carljohnsonCJ (465 posts) -

Yes. Classiest Bond.

Well?

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

Yes, closely followed by Dalton, who unfortunately fails on the humour.

I like to pretend it's an older Bond in the Rock, as it's literally Bond in everything but name.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Random_Matt
#3 Posted by Random_Matt (4247 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Yes, closely followed by Dalton, who unfortunately fails on the humour.

I like to pretend it's an older Bond in the Rock, as it's literally Bond in everything but name.

Loading Video...

Dalton's style came too early, not much different to Craig to be honest. And yes, Connery is the best followed by Moore, would say Brosnan but his films were let down by crappy script writers aside from Goldeneye.

Avatar image for vfighter
#4 Posted by VFighter (5014 posts) -

Craig is easily the best IMO, his movies were the first to not feel like Saturday morning cartoons.

Avatar image for heirren
#5 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@vfighter:

I feel the opposite. Many would disagree i think and say that Craigs films lost the spirit if Bond and fall more in line with modern blockbusters.

Connery is the best bond Bond. Always thought they should have brought him back as an older bond, but perhaps they thought modern audience wouldnt find a slower espionage film enticing.

Goldeneye is easily my favorite bond film, though.

Avatar image for Solaryellow
#6 Posted by Solaryellow (4950 posts) -

@heirren said:

@vfighter:

I feel the opposite. Many would disagree i think and say that Craigs films lost the spirit if Bond and fall more in line with modern blockbusters.

Connery is the best bond Bond. Always thought they should have brought him back as an older bond, but perhaps they thought modern audience wouldnt find a slower espionage film enticing.

Goldeneye is easily my favorite bond film, though.

Diamonds should have been a good swan song for him. Never Say Never was forgettable. He came back and it wasn't pretty.

Avatar image for heirren
#7 Edited by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@Solaryellow:

I meant way later. As was pointed out above, in The Rock, which is something a lot of people apparently saw in that; he could have pulled off Bond as an older man.

Avatar image for heathen75
#8 Posted by HEATHEN75 (730 posts) -

The Connery movies were good when I was a kid but just don't hold up well to me now. Watching Connery or Moore in fight scenes is just funny. It's like they trained at the Captain Kirk School of Fighting. I prefer the more realistic Daniel Craig movies.

Gotta agree with with Heirren up above that Goldeneye is my favorite (your taste in Batman movies still sucks). That was just a fun movie from start to finish. Didn't hurt that the game was so good and followed the movie perfectly.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#9 Edited by Jacanuk (18606 posts) -
@heirren said:

@vfighter:

I feel the opposite. Many would disagree i think and say that Craigs films lost the spirit if Bond and fall more in line with modern blockbusters.

Connery is the best bond Bond. Always thought they should have brought him back as an older bond, but perhaps they thought modern audience wouldnt find a slower espionage film enticing.

Goldeneye is easily my favorite bond film, though.

Spot on here.

Craig is by far the worst Bond in the sense that the role moved way too much into mainstream blockbuster action Jason Bourne territory

As to the best, it goes Connery, Moore, Brosnan, Dalton, Craig and then the outliner Lazenby who was just absolutely terrible.

Avatar image for heirren
#10 Posted by Heirren (1537 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

Id separate the first Bourne Movie from the rest. Its more espionage/thriller than action and Doug Limen always gets a great male/female interaction out of his films.

Its been ages since i have seen some of them, to the point where i hardly remember. With that said, id put it:

Connery

Brosnan

Dalton

Moore

Lazenby

Craig

Again id have to rewatch some of them and my take on it may change. However, Goldeneye is just that good, imo. I had thought Dalton in 2nd but like i said there is not a weak moment in Goldeneye--a true vision from the director, fully realized.

The last Craig film, even if you set opinions on the film aside, i think puts in his best performance as bond. But yes i agree his films just feel like anything else out there, save for moments here and there.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#11 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@Solaryellow said:
@heirren said:

@vfighter:

I feel the opposite. Many would disagree i think and say that Craigs films lost the spirit if Bond and fall more in line with modern blockbusters.

Connery is the best bond Bond. Always thought they should have brought him back as an older bond, but perhaps they thought modern audience wouldnt find a slower espionage film enticing.

Goldeneye is easily my favorite bond film, though.

Diamonds should have been a good swan song for him. Never Say Never was forgettable. He came back and it wasn't pretty.

IMO Diamonds is a bad movie and generally think You Only Live Twice should have been the proper end, with Blofeld properly dead.

@heathen75 said:

The Connery movies were good when I was a kid but just don't hold up well to me now. Watching Connery or Moore in fight scenes is just funny.

Depends on the movie and who's working on it. You Only Live Twice has the fellow from Lawrence of Arabia working on it so the fight scenes has a sense of scale not really seen in any other Bond movie including Craigs. The final set (Volanco) was entirely built by hand. No miniature or CGI.

This scene to me is far more memorable than any of Craigs. It crystallizes the adventure and exotic nature of Bond than some generic Bourne sequence we've seen multiple times over.

Loading Video...

Moore, yes, he was abit of a dandy. His best action sequence imo wasn't fighting but a very slow tense scene in For Your Eyes Only involving climbing up the side of the Monastery of the Holy Trinity.

Loading Video...

For Your Eyes Only is fairly underrated, it was a direct response to Moonraker being over the top, so they reeled it all the way in to something more grounded. Has a couple of great action sequence. Including a great car chase with a shitty little yellow car and a ridiculous (due to licensing) sequence where Blofeld is finally killed but they can't actually show his face.

Loading Video...

Speaking of Blofeld, the one in Craigs movie were terrible, and trying to make them brothers like it's Metal Gear Solid was dumb and lazy.

The thing as well, Connery movies built up Blowfeld, you never actually seen him for several movies, only a voice, a hand and a cat. When Donald Pleasence was finally revealed in You Only Live Twice, the audience went wild.

In Spectre, they showed him in the trailers. And it was condenced to one movie. When you have them all sitting on a table with him in shadow, trying to be all mysterious, there is literally no point.

The ending is dumb as well.

I can only hope the next one is closer to Skyfall in quality.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#12 Posted by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@heirren said:

@Solaryellow:

I meant way later. As was pointed out above, in The Rock, which is something a lot of people apparently saw in that; he could have pulled off Bond as an older man.

It's a cool idea, but I think Skyfall sort of did deal with it thematically. Since it was released on the 50th anniversary it was about the idea of the world changing since the characters incarceration with him becoming antiquated, old and rusty, forced to go back to origins away from the digital age.

Originally Sean Connery was suppose to cameo as Kincade. Which to be honest, I think would have been really off-putting. I'm glad they didn't.

Avatar image for sonicare
#13 Posted by sonicare (56768 posts) -

I like Roger Craig.

Avatar image for johnd13
#14 Posted by johnd13 (9752 posts) -

Yes Sean Connery is my favorite Bond. Craig is also great but deviates the most from the traditional Bond character in an attempt to modernize the franchise.

Avatar image for horgen
#15 Posted by Horgen (120599 posts) -

No. I don't.

Avatar image for ezekiel43
#16 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1610 posts) -

Normally I would say he's too Scottish to be the best or ideal Bond, but at least he's the only actor in the right time period. James Bond doesn't belong in the present. Take him back to the mid century.

Avatar image for kadin_kai
#17 Posted by Kadin_Kai (505 posts) -

Sean Connery was before my time so I never liked him as a Bond. I grew up watching Roger Moore, but Timothy Dalton was the best.

The best Bond song is Live and Let Die, but I prefer the Guns n Roses version.

Avatar image for AFBrat77
#18 Edited by AFBrat77 (26722 posts) -

To me Connery had the best movies, but Roger Moore was the iconic Bond.

Connery was an excellent Bond though.

Avatar image for shellcase86
#19 Posted by shellcase86 (4431 posts) -

Connery was the best/is my favorite. But I really, really like Craig in the role.

Avatar image for thehig1
#20 Posted by thehig1 (7305 posts) -

Used to think it was Brosnan, because his movies were the movies I seen growing up.

As I got older and decided to watch the movies from the start I have to admit its Connery

He's most handsome, portrays the right balance of roughness and swarvness and I love that he's just a womanizing Bastard.

Hes more tame in later films as they are a product of the time there made

My favourite bond film is From Russia With love, closley followed by Goldfinger, both films are what I think are Connery and the charecter bond at his prime

Avatar image for n64dd
#21 Posted by N64DD (11925 posts) -
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

Id separate the first Bourne Movie from the rest. Its more espionage/thriller than action and Doug Limen always gets a great male/female interaction out of his films.

Its been ages since i have seen some of them, to the point where i hardly remember. With that said, id put it:

Connery

Brosnan

Dalton

Moore

Lazenby

Craig

Again id have to rewatch some of them and my take on it may change. However, Goldeneye is just that good, imo. I had thought Dalton in 2nd but like i said there is not a weak moment in Goldeneye--a true vision from the director, fully realized.

The last Craig film, even if you set opinions on the film aside, i think puts in his best performance as bond. But yes i agree his films just feel like anything else out there, save for moments here and there.

Lazenby shouldn't even be on the list.

Avatar image for baelnergal
#22 Posted by BaelNergal (232 posts) -

My list, in order from best to worst:

  1. Connery
  2. Brosnan
  3. Dalton
  4. Moore
  5. Craig
  6. Austin Powers
  7. Peter Griffin
  8. Fred Flintstone
  9. Jar Jar Binks
  10. Lazenby
Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#23 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

@kadin_kai said:

Sean Connery was before my time so I never liked him as a Bond. I grew up watching Roger Moore, but Timothy Dalton was the best.

The best Bond song is Live and Let Die, but I prefer the Guns n Roses version.

Never really liked that for some reason, almost too "rock".

I think OHMSS is only one without lyrics? Excluding Dr.No which is more of a concept-movie. It has "We Have All The Time In The World" but that's at the end-credits. Both are great regardless,

Loading Video...

If this was someone like Dalton instead of Lazenby, the movie would go up several notches. He really does bring it down. It's Diana Riggs who acts the pillar. If they had some Connery era bimbo in it, just go flat.