Do you believe Foreign Accent Syndrome is real?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

There is the case of a 56-year-old woman from Oregon, who developed a British accent after having her teeth removed and replaced by dentures.

There are only a few dozen documented cases.

Story here.

Discuss, do you believe this is factual, or not?

Medical science still does not know how or why it happens.

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

There really isn't enough information, although with each case it becomes a bit more clear... I think it's real, but I can't really be too sure about it just yet, It's just that I can't think of some other reason why they'd develop such a thing...

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#3 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I've heard of it happening to some one who had a stroke. That seems more plausible than getting dentures to me.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Well naturally those were British dentures. Case solved.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25392 Posts

Well naturally those were British dentures. Case solved.cd_rom

:lol:^

Mindset95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Mindset95
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
If you were to get really serious about it, I see it as total crap - an accent comes from growing up around/being taught how to speak by people who pronounce vowel/consonant sounds differently, usually in certain locations... that's been passed down for generations. I don't see how you could suddenly "develop" an accent, but that's just my opinion. ^_^
bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
I need some of those dentures. British accents are the best.
Joshywaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8 Joshywaa
Member since 2002 • 10995 Posts

Perhaps this woman is insane

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The description of the way in which it comes on is pretty consistent in cases that I've read about, and there's absolutely no motivation for people to suddenly fake a foreign accent and claim they can't help it, so I see no reason why I would doubt that it's real.

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
The reverend at my school (who also was a teacher) claimed to have acquired his british accent while reading a book. On the one hand, it wouldn't surprise me if he was, well a bit off, but on the other hand, he sure nailed being british
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

The description of the way in which it comes on is pretty consistent in cases that I've read about, and there's absolutely no motivation for people to suddenly fake a foreign accent and claim they can't help it, so I see no reason why I would doubt that it's real.

GabuEx

I don't doubt that something could occur to the language centers of the brain to cause an accent change; however, consider the obverse: we have celebrities such as Rich Little (Man of a Thousand Voices), who can mimic just about any accent.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9195 Posts

I have my doubts easily. It just doesn't seem to add up in my head. All of the sudden you change your language entirely to match one specific country?

swaggafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 swaggafied
Member since 2010 • 391 Posts

Well this is somewhat on topic with the topic, buuuuuut when I am around my british friend for too long I acquire a british accent, I couldnt help it either. So I believe this is plausible.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#14 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

She had an accent like Billy Conelly?

CrystalFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CrystalFox
Member since 2006 • 9908 Posts

I need some of those dentures. British accents are the best.bobcheeseball

I agree, everything sounds cooler. Ex:

American household - Oh my gosh David! You're not a baby anymore you shouldn't be wetting

the bed, now get your butt to the bathroom and wash off before I give you a spanking.

British Household - Blimey Reginald ya not a lil' bebeh anymoah! You shouldn't be goin' wee-wee

in ya britches, now scurry off to the loo and run tha tap fore' I give your arse a clobberin'!

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i believe it
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I guess it's real, but I don't know enough about it. I'd probably believe it more but I keep remembering Madonna faking British accent. lol
spacedog1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 spacedog1973
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts

She doesn't have a British accent. Her accent is certainly messed up, but anyone from Britain can tell you she doesn't sound British :| Not British soundng at all

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

topsemag55

I don't doubt that something could occur to the language centers of the brain to cause an accent change; however, consider the obverse: we have celebrities such as Rich Little (Man of a Thousand Voices), who can mimic just about any accent.

Well sure, but that's conscious; I'm thinking more along the lines of people who have a natural accent that persists despite being immersed in a society that doesn't have that accent. It seems logical to me that there would be certain wirings in the brain that cause a person's mouth and tongue to naturally form certain vowel and consonant sounds in certain ways, and I would certainly consider it possible that something could cause a person's brain to change the translation from the mental picture of what one wants to say to the actual physical movements of the mouth.