Do you believe aliens have visited or atleast know about us?

• 115 results
luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By luckylucious

Poll Do you believe aliens have visited or atleast know about us? (34 votes)

Yes, definitely 41%
No, thats preposterous 56%

So with all the political discussion going around the thread, I decided to open up something a little more interesting.

We all have heard of the theories (Armstrong allegedly encountering UFOs on the moon, aliens collecting samples and/or meeting with Govts). Lets talk about ET and the possibility of it + whether they've visited. Thoughts?

• 
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44136 Posts

Yes, I believe that they have visited us and most likely continue to do so.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Yes, I believe that they have visited us and most likely continue to do so.

Yeah I agree, I also think multiple species have been monitoring the human race closely for the past few centuries. Could also explain a lot about our history:

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

It's unlikely they have visited or know about us, there isn't credible evidence to suggest otherwise.

I believe its likely there is intelligent life else were in the universe, based on the sheer number of planets and stars.

However the idea aliens have been abducting us, or hiding out in top secret government places is best left to conspiracy nuts and works of fiction

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#4 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Aliens have probably visited us, considering even a 1000 year leap, a popcorn fart in cosmic time, would have an enormous, almost godlike technological advantage over us. Their technology would be like nothing we have seen. And this is with a mere 1000 head start, in a cosmos billions of years old.

However, I do not think aliens are flying all over the earth to the point where cattle ranchers and trailer park residents are getting messages, probed, or abducted. If aliens were all around us, attempting to make their presence known, why do they never sit still for more than a single shot photograph, admittedly blurry? All these visitations, and not a single molecule of alien tissue or matter. If this matter was traveling in violation of known physics, it would jumpstart our technological advancement by eons. Instead, nothing. It's best to be agnostic about things like this, when the jury is not at all in.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By luckylucious

@hillelslovak said:

If aliens were all around us, attempting to make their presence known, why do they never sit still for more than a single shot photograph, admittedly blurry? All these visitations, and not a single molecule of alien tissue or matter. If this matter was traveling in violation of known physics, it would jumpstart our technological advancement by eons. Instead, nothing. It's best to be agnostic about things like this, when the jury is not at all in.

EDIT: Perhaps they're just that good? Totally right about the agnostic viewpoint of aliens though.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

Aliens probably created mankind as a joke. Why else would our bodies use the same organ for both waste removal and procreation? They probably thought that was hilarious.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luckylucious

@mattbbpl said:

Aliens probably created mankind as a joke. Why else would our bodies use the same organ for both waste removal and procreation? They probably thought that was hilarious.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23904 Posts

It is possible that Aliens know about earth.

However, aliens that have actually visited earth is insanely unlikely. Furthermore, frequent alien visitations would be incredibly impractical, given the known laws of physics. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And as of now, we lack any evidence of alien visitation.

For FTL travel to be a thing, physics as we know it would completely collapse.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl

@Maroxad said:

It is possible that Aliens know about earth.

However, aliens that have actually visited earth is insanely unlikely. Furthermore, frequent alien visitations would be incredibly impractical, given the known laws of physics. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And as of now, we lack any evidence of alien visitation.

Yep, the FTL barrier combined with the sheer size and emptiness of space makes it pretty unlikely.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Sure, once I see scientific evidence.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Maroxad

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Sure, once I see scientific evidence.

Either that or Archeological evidence.

Of which, there is none for either. :P

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

Did you guys ever see that show "ancient aliens"??

I think they came to visit earth, but that was BEFORE humans "existed."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@mattbbpl said:

Duh, aliens are fetishists. They love the ole frosting job from a lover....

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By luckylucious

@Maroxad said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And as of now, we lack any evidence of alien visitation.

Applying human thought and human technological achievement to that of an ET species + their tech just wouldn't work out. Perhaps we missed something that could be the key to FTL, we're a very young species with many distractions and limitations.

You're also not accounting for the various amount of resources other planets/space may be providing that Earth doesn't have. To assume there is no other way but the human way is a bit arrogant and shortsighted.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Who knows... possibly. It's almost certain that there are other intelligent civilizations in the Universe, but obviously the huge distances are a limiting barrier for communication, let alone traveling.

But of course it's definitely possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Not yet.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I mod this forum, so... yeah. Obviously.

-Byshop

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I believe aliens might know of us, but highly doubt we've ever been visited by them...

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By luckylucious
@outworld222 said:

Did you guys ever see that show "ancient aliens"??

I think they came to visit earth, but that was BEFORE humans "existed."

Possible, but explain all these whacky paintings..

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maroxad

@luckylucious said:

Applying human thought and human technological achievement to that of an ET species + their tech just wouldn't work out. Perhaps we missed something that could be the key to FTL, we're a very young species with many distractions and limitations.

You're also not accounting for the various amount of resources other planets/space may be providing that Earth doesn't have. To assume there is no other way but the human way is a bit arrogant and shortsighted.

Arrogance is neglecting the data and knowledge that we do have because it does not fit in with our pet theory.

The issue with FTL travel is that it would outright violate the laws of physics as we know them today. Materials and resources would not allow us to suddenly change the constants of the universe. And I am far more willing to accept the physics of today rather than the wishful thinking of UFOlogists and sci-fi author hacks. Because the physics of the physicists provides us with results, whereas the physics of the hacks has gotten us nowhere.

The only way better technology would get us past the speed of light is if there was a major scientific revolution. One as big as Quantum Theory. Unless we get one of those, nothing will make FTL possible, for as amazing as our technology is, everything we make still abides by the laws of universe.

The issue is not that we cant find a way to get past the speed of light, the issue is that everything we have so far, would indicate that light is in fact, the speed limit. Which has to do with the mass (or rather, lack of) of a photon. Which in turn is caused by the fact that photons don't interact with the Higgs Field. Even getting close to Light Speeds would require an absurd amount of energy. The energy cost to further speed an object up grows exponentially. Thus travelling to earth at FTL speeds, and regularly interacting with humans would cost a massive amount of energy (and thus, finances). It simply put, isn't practical for any spacefaring civilization to do this.

It is possible that Aliens have visited us, but it is extremely unlikely and there is no evidence to indicate that they did. As a result, I can not take alien visitation claims seriously.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@hillelslovak said:

Aliens have probably visited us, considering even a 1000 year leap, a popcorn fart in cosmic time, would have an enormous, almost godlike technological advantage over us. Their technology would be like nothing we have seen. And this is with a mere 1000 head start, in a cosmos billions of years old.

However, I do not think aliens are flying all over the earth to the point where cattle ranchers and trailer park residents are getting messages, probed, or abducted. If aliens were all around us, attempting to make their presence known, why do they never sit still for more than a single shot photograph, admittedly blurry? All these visitations, and not a single molecule of alien tissue or matter. If this matter was traveling in violation of known physics, it would jumpstart our technological advancement by eons. Instead, nothing. It's best to be agnostic about things like this, when the jury is not at all in.

1) You have no idea that a 1000 year head start automatically means 1000 years of scientific progress.

2) There appear to be very clear limits as far as actual physics are concerned. As in, the speed of light through a vacuum is apparently the fastest that ANYTHING can travel in our universe, and no amount of technological progress can overcome that cosmic speed limit. This limits the ability of ANY spacefaring species to travel through space. It still amounts to: either you'd better live REALLY close or be willing to invest a LOT of time. No it's possible that there MAY be ways to sort of cheat, such as wormholes or warping space itself. But even then we don't really KNOW that it is possible. And even if it is possible, it'd take INSANE amounts of energy to accomplish. That brings up the question of how an alien civilization is supposed to actually harness that much energy. Still probably wouldn't allow for unlimited space travel anywhere they want to go. Economics would still come into play. This kind of thing would likely be so costly that the aliens would STILL have to be incredibly picky about where they go. Which likely means that they'd either be visiting here VERY infrequently (in which case they wouldn't be participating in government or anything like that), or would only visit once and make damn sure that they got the most out of the trip (we're talking full-on invasion/occupation scenario here).

Bottom line is that the same thing that guarantees that intelligent aliens likely exist (the absolutely insane size of the universe) probably also guarantees that even the most advanced aliens aren't traveling very far from where they came.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

@luckylucious: there's nothing wacky about them. It's a matter of faith though. You either believe, or you don't. Let's not go ahead and be judgmental about things.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer

@luckylucious said:

Possible, but explain all these whacky paintings..

For an explanation, I think one would have to either see what the artist said about them or otherwise study the written records of the time.

But the fact that there are paintings that show some "wacky" things clearly doesn't mean that those wacky things actually existed (and even if they existed, there's no indication that they were aliens; they could be demons or time traveling mutants from the future). I mean, once in history class when I was a kid, I drew a dick monster that was made out of dicks and ate dicks and pooped out dicks, and he drove a dick car and magically made dicks grow out of the ground by waving a magic wand (that also looked like a dick). If civilization collapsed and then future archeologists found my drawing as one of the few surviving records of the time, they'd be pretty stupid if they took it as an historical account just because it ended up in a drawing.

Hell, movies show some wacky shit too. I'm sure there are plenty of images and figurines of Homer Simpson, but I like to think that someone living 10,000 years into the future isn't going to dig up a Homer Simpson doll and immediately assume that's what people looked like 10,000 years ago.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@MrGeezer said:
@hillelslovak said:

1) You have no idea that a 1000 year head start automatically means 1000 years of scientific progress.

2) There appear to be very clear limits as far as actual physics are concerned. As in, the speed of light through a vacuum is apparently the fastest that ANYTHING can travel in our universe, and no amount of technological progress can overcome that cosmic speed limit. This limits the ability of ANY spacefaring species to travel through space. It still amounts to: either you'd better live REALLY close or be willing to invest a LOT of time. No it's possible that there MAY be ways to sort of cheat, such as wormholes or warping space itself. But even then we don't really KNOW that it is possible. And even if it is possible, it'd take INSANE amounts of energy to accomplish. That brings up the question of how an alien civilization is supposed to actually harness that much energy. Still probably wouldn't allow for unlimited space travel anywhere they want to go. Economics would still come into play. This kind of thing would likely be so costly that the aliens would STILL have to be incredibly picky about where they go. Which likely means that they'd either be visiting here VERY infrequently (in which case they wouldn't be participating in government or anything like that), or would only visit once and make damn sure that they got the most out of the trip (we're talking full-on invasion/occupation scenario here).

Bottom line is that the same thing that guarantees that intelligent aliens likely exist (the absolutely insane size of the universe) probably also guarantees that even the most advanced aliens aren't traveling very far from where they came.

"If you think you know quantum mechanics, you don't know quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman..............

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad

@hillelslovak said:
@MrGeezer said:
@hillelslovak said:

"If you think you know quantum mechanics, you don't know quantum mechanics." - Richard Feynman..............

That is true, but it also worth noting that quantum mechanics dont mean magic. The main issue is that if FTL was a thing, every model we have about physics would fall apart. And I mean every single model.

These models, carry a hell lot more empirical merit than the hypothetical alien visitations.

Hell, that kind of we dont know everything reasoning has been used to defend everything absurd. Like creationism, god, quantum consciousness and even homeopathy.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrGeezer

@hillelslovak said:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to say that every absurd scenario that we cn come up with is plausible just because there's a lot of stuff that we don't know.

The fact remains that based on what we know of life and physics, it's incredibly unlikely that we've ever been visited by extraterrestrials. Repeat visits and alien/government cooperation/conspiracies being even less likely.

Could we be wrong? Sure. But there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever to indicate that we're wrong about that. Until we see ANY actual evidence that we've been visited by aliens, the much likelier scenario is that we've never been visited by aliens.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@MrGeezer said:
@hillelslovak said:

I'm pretty sure he wasn't trying to say that every absurd scenario that we cn come up with is plausible just because there's a lot of stuff that we don't know.

The fact remains that based on what we know of life and physics, it's incredibly unlikely that we've ever been visited by extraterrestrials. Repeat visits and alien/government cooperation/conspiracies being even less likely.

Could we be wrong? Sure. But there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever to indicate that we're wrong about that. Until we see ANY actual evidence that we've been visited by aliens, the much likelier scenario is that we've never been visited by aliens.

I dont think they are visiting us over and over again. I am waiting for the evidence that is not merely childish. But when Neutonian physics breaks down, shit happens beyond all expectation or likelihood.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer

@hillelslovak said:
@MrGeezer said:
@hillelslovak said:

I dont think they are visiting us over and over again. I am waiting for the evidence that is not merely childish. But when Neutonian physics breaks down, shit happens beyond all expectation or likelihood.

Quantum mechanics isn't a magic wand that allows anything to be plausible.

Like, there's this thing in Star Trek where one of the writers says, "I think it would be cool if Data turned into a chick and had a robo-abortion, but how can we make that plausible?" And then the second writer says, "I don't know, just throw in some gobbledygoo about tachyons or something. You know, space magic."

I'm not going to pretend to understand quantum mechanics, but I'm pretty sure that quantum mechanics doesn't work like that. It's not some magic wand that instantly gives plausibility to any implausible scenario that you happen to think up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@MrGeezer said:
@hillelslovak said:
@MrGeezer said:
@hillelslovak said:

Quantum mechanics isn't a magic wand that allows anything to be plausible.

Like, there's this thing in Star Trek where one of the writers says, "I think it would be cool if Data turned into a chick and had a robo-abortion, but how can we make that plausible?" And then the second writer says, "I don't know, just throw in some gobbledygoo about tachyons or something. You know, space magic."

I'm not going to pretend to understand quantum mechanics, but I'm pretty sure that quantum mechanics doesn't work like that. It's not some magic wand that instantly gives plausibility to any implausible scenario that you happen to think up.

That is where you are wrong. I think if Neutonian physics broke down or were somehow bisected, there would be far more insane and improbable shit than you or I could even think of.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

There is a huge market for Alien conspiracy crap. Sites will pick up any story from any source...even fictional reddit posts just for ad revenue. The Fakumentaries that have been created throughout the 90's to today doesn't help at all when it comes to research purposes. It's more likely that if aliens know about us then their tech is so good that it's likely from a distance. We know quite a lot about planets light years away just this past couple of decades so imagine what we'll know about them in a few hundred or more years with future tech. Traveling even with wormholes or whatnot is pointless when they could use robots/droids of some sort but even that may be pointless if their tech is that advanced to study us from afar as we have this belief that you have to physically be there to study something in detail

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Maroxad

@hillelslovak said:

That is where you are wrong. I think if Neutonian physics broke down or were somehow bisected, there would be far more insane and improbable shit than you or I could even think of.

Not sure if trolling.

These are the exact same arguments that have been used to try to justify creationism, and new age woo-woo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No.

If they did, we would have known about it. There isn't some government conspiracy keeping first contact from us. No scientist worth their salt could keep quiet about something that extraordinary. Not for 70 years.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

In Star Trek the Federation uses a prime directive, if a civilization hasn't archived a certain tier, they do not interfere or influence them. They are oblivious unless the plot demands it, which is every single time.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By luckylucious

@outworld222 said:

@luckylucious: Let's not go ahead and be judgmental about things.

Lol how? Just providing some stir in the thread to keep it interesting.

@Maroxad said:

Arrogance is neglecting the data and knowledge that we do have because it does not fit in with our pet theory.

Contrary to popular belief humans don't know how everything works. It is extremely arrogant to believe modern day Quantum Physics knows everything, due to the fact that there is very little consensus among leading mathematicians and scientists on quantum theory.

@Maroxad said:

The only way better technology would get us past the speed of light is if there was a major scientific revolution. One as big as Quantum Theory. Unless we get one of those, nothing will make FTL possible, for as amazing as our technology is, everything we make still abides by the laws of universe.

Just because humans can't do it, you think aliens can't? Out of all the civilizations out there that have most likely evolved differently you really think not one of them in the vastness of space have figured it out? I think its a possibility.

@Maroxad said:

The energy cost to further speed an object up grows exponentially. Thus travelling to earth at FTL speeds, and regularly interacting with humans would cost a massive amount of energy (and thus, finances). It simply put, isn't practical for any spacefaring civilization to do this.

Again, assuming aliens think like humans. I'm sure civilizations put heavy funding torwards space exploration programs. Assuming every intelligent life forms thinks the same as humans is silly. Also you're implying crafts visiting are like tourists when in actuality it could be a generation ship or a select few of pedigree aliens from that civilization collecting samples.

All in all, this post is applying human achievement and our history to that of intelligent life, which just doesn't work when considering the vastness of space and availability of resources on other planets/science that we simply don't know about.

Then again, just an opinion.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mattbbpl

Quantum mechanics definitely abides by strict rules. We know this because experiments can be recreated at will and much of the "magic" we know about that can't be directly observed is known because we can recreate the results with such consistency that we can deduce the effects via mathematical equations.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By luckylucious

@mattbbpl said:

Quantum mechanics definitely abides by strict rules. We know this because experiments can be recreated at will and much of the "magic" we know about that can't be directly observed is known because we can recreate the results with such consistency that we can deduce the effects via mathematical equations.

Sure it does, but top physicists don't understand complex parts of Quantum Mechanics either. We really don't know everything about the subject and to abide by the current rules we have defined so far when talking about ET life seems a bit silly.

Answers about quantum physics among leading mathematicians and scientists have little consensus, which shows how shallow our understanding of the laws around us really are, even when we have gone so far.

"We’re used to thinking that the world exists in a definite state, and that we can discover what that state is by making measurements and observations. But quantum theory suggests that, at least for tiny objects such as atoms and electrons, there may be no unique state before an observation is made.

Before measurement, all we can say is that there is a certain probability that the object is in state A, or B, or so on. Only during the measurement is a “choice” made about which of these possible states the object will possess: in quantum-speak, the superposition is “collapsed by measurement”. It’s not that, before measuring, we don’t know which of these options is true – the fact is that the choice has not yet been made.

This is probably the most unsettling of all the conundrums posed by quantum theory."

Source: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130124-will-we-ever-get-quantum-theory

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Because we don't know something doe not make it not true. Things we say are impossible today may be possible in the future.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mattbbpl

@luckylucious: Right, superposition is really cool and all, but what evidence does it provide that aliens have visited Earth? By what mechanism would that make it possible?

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By luckylucious

@mattbbpl said:

@luckylucious: Right, superposition is really cool and all, but what evidence does it provide that aliens have visited Earth? By what mechanism would that make it possible?

I really don't know, although I believe aliens have visited but its just an opinion. The quote was about how Quantum Physics is a conundrum, so applying current knowledge of the theory to space and ETs just seems irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Point was, we don't really have a complete understanding of Quantum Theory if leading minds can't come to a consensus on how it works, and my point still stands. We don't know the answers, and believing that current technology here proves that aliens can't come and visit us out there is a primitive understanding of the universe and its unknown laws.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Maroxad

@luckylucious said:
@outworld222 said:

@luckylucious: Let's not go ahead and be judgmental about things.

Lol how? Just providing some stir in the thread to keep it interesting.

@Maroxad said:

Contrary to popular belief humans don't know how everything works. It is extremely arrogant to believe modern day Quantum Physics knows everything, due to the fact that there is very little consensus among leading mathematicians and scientists on quantum theory.

@Maroxad said:

Just because humans can't do it, you think aliens can't? Out of all the civilizations out there that have most likely evolved differently you really think not one of them in the vastness of space have figured it out? I think its a possibility.

@Maroxad said:

The energy cost to further speed an object up grows exponentially. Thus travelling to earth at FTL speeds, and regularly interacting with humans would cost a massive amount of energy (and thus, finances). It simply put, isn't practical for any spacefaring civilization to do this.

Again, assuming aliens think like humans. I'm sure civilizations put heavy funding torwards space exploration programs. Assuming every intelligent life forms thinks the same as humans is silly. Also you're implying crafts visiting are like tourists when in actuality it could be a generation ship or a select few of pedigree aliens from that civilization collecting samples.

All in all, this post is applying human achievement and our history to that of intelligent life, which just doesn't work when considering the vastness of space and availability of resources on other planets/science we simply don't know.

The thing is, we have nothing to support the notion that FTL is possible outside of "physicists don't know everything". And this comes into the theory of general relativity. Not quantum mechanics.

Again, the problem here is not that we havent figured out the solution. The problem here is that FTL travel would violate one of the most fundamental laws of physics. In physics every single thing is so damn interconnected. You cant just pick and choose. Remove these formulas that are inconvenient towards your pet theory, and the whole physical world would fall apart. The problem with FTL travel is contradiction. So unless someone provides damn compelling evidence that FTL is possible, claims of FTL travel being realistic will continue to be dismissed by anyone who gives the slightest crap about physics.

The laws of physics are not subjective. The exponential costs of increasing velocities dont suddenly disappear because you think differently. The issue as always, FTL has been proven to be more or less impossible unless you could get your mass at or below 0. Even if you were to travel at light speed, you would cause a lot more problems, such as time travel. and more issues.

None of those things you listed, be it generation ships or a select few pedigree aliens would be practical. The costs of FTL travel are so high, nothing outside of a colonization or invasion would be practical.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Nope. I believe there is other life out there, but to expend the vast amount of energy needed to visit us just to remain hidden makes no damn sense.

Besides, I think it's funny how people anthropomorphize aliens. Bipedal creatures with two arms and a head with two eyes and a mouth hunh? You don't say.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I have reasonable suspicions Obama is an alien.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#47 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

If they're more advanced & peaceful they wouldn't show themselves.

Doing so would disrupt our entire world. Religitards, economy, government would all go nucking futs. What government do they meet ? Going to one side would anger the other. Do they bring alien pathogens with them and what of ours ?

If you've read up on current astronauts humans aren't built for long term space life. Our bones weaken, the synapses in our brain reduce, & we have no protection from cosmic radiation the earths magnetic field normally blocks. National Geographic just did a study on Mars and everything I read with current technology says humanity won't be going anywhere in space anytime soon.

If anything we'll send more robots & for that reason I believe we'll encounter A.I. from other galaxies first if not just signals. Scientists have been recently capturing bursts of signals & they don't know what they are.

If on the other hand they're more advanced & not friendly we'd never stand a chance. They'd launch asteroids from far beyond earth orbit & wipe us out with ease then come take whatever they want.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

I don't think so. Any planet that contains life, much less intelligent life, is certainly several light years away from us, and it would take a lot of resources just to reach us. The visit here would have to benefit them in some way. The only reason intelligent life would go to another planet light years away is to either extract rare resources or to colonize it.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By luckylucious

@Maroxad:

Applying our current evolutionary process (human bodies), our technology, our understanding of physics, our thought processes (funding programs and exploration), and our political system to that of another species that could be beyond our vision (the known universe) is laughable to me. FTL might not apply to certain species.

Also perhaps Aliens don't even utilize FTL tech and use a much more advanced safer method. The vastness of space and many think all of these civilizations function the same with the same laws + tech is funny.

You tell us at the end of the posts that these theories are impractical bc of human narrative and what we've been able to achieve/how we think. While a fine opinion, I just think differently than that.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Maroxad

@luckylucious said:
@Maroxad said:
None of those things you listed, be it generation ships or a select few pedigree aliens would be practical. The costs of FTL travel are so high, nothing outside of a colonization or invasion would be practical.

In your opinion, you're also assuming costs for an alien civilization exist, as if money is a factor in other civilizations. The truth is you don't know, and thats okay because I don't either. I think its naive to compare the human condition and human advancement to that of an entirely different species with a different evolutionary set.

@Maroxad said:
The laws of physics are not subjective. The exponential costs of increasing velocities dont suddenly disappear because you think differently. The issue as always, FTL has been proven to be more or less impossible unless you could get your mass at or below 0. Even if you were to travel at light speed, you would cause a lot more problems, such as time travel. and more issues.

Impossible for us, humans. Like I said applying our modern tech to other civilizations just doesn't work. Trying to base alien technology on human understanding is silly to me. We only have a known universe, and haven't grasped Quantum Theory as a whole.

People used to think the Earth was flat too, science and conjecture changes over time as new things are discovered. Perhaps just having an open mind instead of assuming humans know it all (which proven by polls not even top physicists agree on certain issues) seems a bit naive to me.

Anyways this is just my opinion, and reiterating FTL isn't going to change it since space travel really goes beyond our current understanding of physics and Quantum Theory when it comes to comparing us to ancient alien civilizations. Again, just all my opinion really based on what I see in the current science community.

Costs can still exist without money. In this case, the cost is energy. The ammount of energy needed for FTL travel would be comparable to that of the entire sun's lifetime output. Do you see the problem here?

And once again, this falls under General Relativity. General Relativity != Quantum Mechanics

People never thought the earth was flat. ESPECIALLY not the scientific community. Ancient egyptians who realized the earth was round thousands of years ago, not to mention the greeks, chinese and arabs did the same. People didnt need to circumvent the globe. Mathematics and noticing that ships always moved downwards was evidence enough.

An Open mind means having a filter. Being so "open minded" makes you close minded in the end, since it can make you extremely unopen minded to being wrong. When the lionshare of the argument is based on a fallacious "Scientists don't know everything" argument. That we dont know everything about Quantum Mechanics (which, again is irrelevant since high speeds concern themselves with general relativity), does not give people an excuse to make stuff up. What I argue for is that alien visitation on earth is very unlikely based on the evidence we have and what we know. To the point where it is not even worth considering at the moment. I am open to being wrong, but as of now, there doesnt seem to be anything that would indicate us of being wrong. True open mindedness comes from being open to the evidence. I go where the evidence takes me and I do not go astray. For any theory or hypothesis to be taken seriously it would need to be backed by reasoned logic and/or evidence. Alien visitations go against reasoned logic all while having 0 evidence to back it up (those paintings are not evidence).