Do you agree with this Kanye statement?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I can't find the actual statement, so I'm going to have to paraphrase:

He said something along the lines of "If I didn't have a big ego, I couldn't make music that anybody gives a **** about."

What I take from this is that his ego drives him to try harder than other rappers/pop musicians or whatever.

When thinking of really big artists who defined their generation, they do seem to have rather big egos.

John Lennon/Paul McCartney? The former admitted that he sometimes thought he was a God (figuratively of course) while sometimes thinking he was a loser. The latter is pretty notorious for having a huge ego. Michael Jackson/Madonna? Michael Jackson's ego was pretty over-the-top to the point that he made a video that featured him as a giant statue that made him seem like a diety; also, he seemed to think his music was a gift from God. The latter may not have a huge ego when it comes to her musical talents (which she admits are modest), but she has a huge ego as far as her actualy musical product/brand/status as an icon is concerned.I've also heard that Frank Sanatra had a huge ego. Not to mention the gazillions of major rock bands that have members with gigantic egos. Thom Yorke is pretty major and I heard he was a very inflated ego.

This is not to say that artists without egos don't make excellent music. This thread doesn't really have as much to do with quality (as that's subjective) as noteriety. I'm just saying that the artists that make music that people remember and that define their generation seem to generally have big egos. I think this is because one's ego leads one to be more ambitious, which leads them to want to make music that isn't forgotten.

Now I'm not sure that Kanye's music will be remembered in the bigger picture (though I'm sure his contributions to hip hop will), but I think his quote has some validity to it. It's not a universal truth, but it's easy to see how ego can drive one to want to be "the best" whereas artists with small egos will often settle for making music people enjoy.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I think it's been quite a while since he's made any excellent music so no not really.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreySeal9

I think it's been quite a while since he's made any excellent music so no not really.

Serraph105

Well, the comment wasn't really talking about excellence. It's more about noteriety.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GreySeal9

With Kanye in the title, I figured this would have more replies.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
At least he's honest about it. I hate all those musicians who try to feign modesty and it just comes across as pathetic.
Mr_Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Mr_Alexander
Member since 2007 • 1686 Posts

What John Lennon said was that rock n roll was more popular than jesus and he wasn't sure which would fade sooner.

"We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity."

And on-topic I find that big egos make you try even less, although if you really are as naturally gifted as your ego tells you then trying won't really matter.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

GreySeal9
Why? He sucks...
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreySeal9

What John Lennon said was that rock n roll was (more popular) than jesus and he wasn't sure which would fade sooner. "We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity."Mr_Alexander

That's not the quote I was refering to in my OP. I realize that ^that statement is a social observation rather than a egoistical statement.

I think John Lennon struggled with his ego rather than just rolling with it.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

jeremiah06

Why? He sucks...

It's because he's a polarizing figure here in OT. A lot of people (myself included) think his music is brilliant, but just as many (if not more) hate him.

At least he's honest about it. I hate all those musicians who try to feign modesty and it just comes across as pathetic.xTheExploited

I agree. I've seen some musicians say they don't think they're that good and I just think...then why should I listen to your stuff?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

jeremiah06

Why? He sucks...

I disagree, but what I was saying is that Kanye threads tend to get big because he is controversial. I wasn't saying that Kanye is so excellent that threads about him should get tons of replies.

GalaxySpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GalaxySpectre
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
Whatever floats his boat I guess. For me personally, I would try harder with a small ego because I'd feel like I've got something to prove.
SmittyPeppers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SmittyPeppers
Member since 2010 • 1569 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, his ego and his drive complement each other. Works that way for some artists, good on them. All I'll say is Kanye West works his ass off and I do like his music.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GreySeal9

And on-topic I find that big egos make you try even less, although if you really are as naturally gifted as your ego tells you then trying won't really matter.

Mr_Alexander

Being naturally gifted is not enough to define a generation.

There are some artists that are phenomenally gifted that aren't defining **** (Celine Dion would be a good example) whereas there are some artists whose musical talents are very modest yet are legendary (Madonna would be a good example of this).

Michael Jackson is very gifted yet I bet he couldn't have made Thriller without a desire to make the kind of pop music that would rise to the top. And that kind of desire is fueled by ego.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

JML897

Why? He sucks...

It's because he's a polarizing figure here in OT. A lot of people (myself included) think his music is brilliant, but just as many (if not more) hate him.

He WAS good never brilliant though...

james007_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 james007_14
Member since 2007 • 3036 Posts
His ego is what drives him and alot of other artists are the same. They need that drive, because other wise, they couldn't compete with some of the better talented artists out there.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
[QUOTE="SmittyPeppers"]As far as I'm concerned, his ego and his drive complement each other. Works that way for some artists, good on them. All I'll say is Kanye West works his ass off and I do like his music.

I will have to agree with this....
barcx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 barcx17
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

Big ego or not, doesn't matter to me. He makes amazing music that I enjoy listening to and that's all that matters to me.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Unfortunately its true. My ego pushes me to do things. It makes me accomplish stuff, but it prevents me from actually living.