Do we still need religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Lucky for me I don't use the KJV....br0kenrabbit

I haven't seen a translation yet that adheres to the meaning of the original text. They really like translating word-for-word without regard to meaning.

For instance, if you translated "raining cats and dogs" to X language as "cats and dogs were falling from the sky", you've lost the whole meaning.

A good translation knows idiomatic expressions.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#202 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

A good translation knows idiomatic expressions.LJS9502_basic

And a good translation I have yet to see.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]A good translation knows idiomatic expressions.br0kenrabbit

You have the original to compare it to?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#204 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]A good translation knows idiomatic expressions.br0kenrabbit

because there are no contemporary accounts for jesus.  Only the middle east and followers of the religion seemed to care about his supposed miracles.  The rest of the world never batted an eyelash

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Lucky for me I don't use the KJV....br0kenrabbit

I haven't seen a translation yet that adheres to the meaning of the original text. They really like translating word-for-word without regard to meaning.

For instance, if you translated "raining cats and dogs" to X language as "cats and dogs were falling from the sky", you've lost the whole meaning.

Biggest example off the top of my head is the KJV using 'Red Sea' over and over. In reality it was the 'Sea of Reeds'.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]A good translation knows idiomatic expressions.LJS9502_basic

We still have copies of the Torah in Hebrew. Ancient copies, even. Then there's the Greek manuscripts and so on.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Can you tell me what humans are needed for?LJS9502_basic
What is the context of the question? If you are asking this from the perspective of the universe as a whole - there is really nothing humans are needed for. But that's an odd perspective to take simply because no person can rightfully take that perspective for themselves, so why would that be a meaningful take on the question? But from the perspective of a human I can think of an almost infinite list of needs for the human race, because as a fellow human there is an infinite amount of things that need peers to take care of. I need other humans to fulfill my sexual impulses. I need other humans to quench my urge for other forms of friendly social interaction. I rely on the human race as a whole to make food, energy and shelter readily available, as well as materials such as movies and novels and music and video games that people can enjoy in leisure.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

some people do .... like some few clueless atheist in gamespot.....

and some do not .... like al qaeda.... and most people in pakistan

hippiesanta
or the Saudis.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 br0kenrabbit

Biggest example off the top of my head is the KJV using 'Red Sea' over and over. In reality it was the 'Sea of Reeds'.KC_Hokie

There's that. Also, the whole 'lake of fire' bit. This was a reference to Gehenna (translated into 'Hell' in most translations) that was an actual valley outside of Rome where trash was burnt (some sources say unwanted/dead/sacrificed children were burned here but I'm not convinced). The implied message being if that particular fate befell you, you'd be disposed of as being unworthy as trash is.

It's not a reference to being burned alive forever in hell.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Religion is what it is. Some people need it for comfort and faith, others don't. I really don't see what the big deal is really.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

We still have copies of the Torah in Hebrew. Ancient copies, even. Then there's the Greek manuscripts and so on.

Right. And certainly understanding the language not necessarily speaking or reading it but having some insight into the early language along with culture is important. I don't think one should get hung up on tiny little translation differences as long as the message of the Scripture is relatively intact. The differences aren't really that huge though that I can think of off the top of my head. Not to the main message anyway. Certainly the words I read between versions don't make it irreconcilable.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Can you tell me what humans are needed for?-Sun_Tzu-

What is the context of the question? If you are asking this from the perspective of the universe as a whole - there is really nothing humans are needed for. But that's an odd perspective to take simply because no person can rightfully take that perspective for themselves, so why would that be a meaningful take on the question? But from the perspective of a human I can think of an almost infinite list of needs for the human race, because as a fellow human there is an infinite amount of things that need peers to take care of. I need other humans to fulfill my sexual impulses. I need other humans to quench my urge for other forms of friendly social interaction. I rely on the human race as a whole to make food, energy and shelter readily available, as well as materials such as movies and novels and music and video games that people can enjoy in leisure.

Bolded is it exactly.  You dismissed religion as not needed.  Okay...but then in all reality in the grand scheme of things...neither are humans.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Can you tell me what humans are needed for?LJS9502_basic

Bolded is it exactly.  You dismissed religion as not needed.  Okay...but then in all reality in the grand scheme of things...neither are humans.

Religion is not needed from the perspective of humans. Humans are needed from the perspective of humans. There is no comparison to be had here.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] You have the original to compare it to? LJS9502_basic

Right. And certainly understanding the language not necessarily speaking or reading it but having some insight into the early language along with culture is important. I don't think one should get hung up on tiny little translation differences as long as the message of the Scripture is relatively intact. The differences aren't really that huge though that I can think of off the top of my head. Not to the main message anyway. Certainly the words I read between versions don't make it irreconcilable.

Moses parting the 'Sea of Reeds' instead of 'Red Sea' is a huge difference. The Red Sea is 100 miles across at some points while the Reed Sea is just marshland.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 br0kenrabbit

Right. And certainly understanding the language not necessarily speaking or reading it but having some insight into the early language along with culture is important. I don't think one should get hung up on tiny little translation differences as long as the message of the Scripture is relatively intact. The differences aren't really that huge though that I can think of off the top of my head. Not to the main message anyway. Certainly the words I read between versions don't make it irreconcilable.LJS9502_basic

The little differences are important because people get hung up on them. Like the whole "Turn the other cheek" bit isn't a passage about passivity, but about demanding equal treatment.

Then there's the whole 'hell' thing...

And people taking pride in a religion that should humiliate and humble them...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] What is the context of the question? If you are asking this from the perspective of the universe as a whole - there is really nothing humans are needed for. But that's an odd perspective to take simply because no person can rightfully take that perspective for themselves, so why would that be a meaningful take on the question? But from the perspective of a human I can think of an almost infinite list of needs for the human race, because as a fellow human there is an infinite amount of things that need peers to take care of. I need other humans to fulfill my sexual impulses. I need other humans to quench my urge for other forms of friendly social interaction. I rely on the human race as a whole to make food, energy and shelter readily available, as well as materials such as movies and novels and music and video games that people can enjoy in leisure.

-Sun_Tzu-

Religion is not needed from the perspective of humans. Humans are needed from the perspective of humans. There is no comparison to be had here.

IYO. Some humans do need religion.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Bolded is it exactly.  You dismissed religion as not needed.  Okay...but then in all reality in the grand scheme of things...neither are humans.LJS9502_basic

Yes, in my opinion, thank you captain obvious. Could you tell me why some humans need religion?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 LJS9502_basic

KC_Hokie

Moses parting the 'Sea of Reeds' instead of 'Red Sea' is a huge difference. The Red Sea is 100 miles across at some points while the Reed Sea is just marshland.

I'm not discussing the OT...and I did say the message is important not every little detail. So that's immaterial to me.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 br0kenrabbit

IYO. Some humans do need religion. LJS9502_basic

Only because they have been conditioned so...by religion.

It's the whole self-fulfilling prophecy debacle.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Religion is not needed from the perspective of humans. Humans are needed from the perspective of humans. There is no comparison to be had here.

Yes, in my opinion, thank you captain obvious. Could you tell me why some humans need religion?

That isn't important. You said humans don't need religion. Doesn't matter why...if only you could be even private obvious.:(
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] IYO. Some humans do need religion. br0kenrabbit

If religion was mad made then that would not make sense.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#222 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
It's not fair to dictate what 'we' need. What you need isn't what another person just like you may need. Some people literally 'need' to believe in some higher power of broader purpose to life to be happy. There's nothing to be gained in taking that away from them. Worry about yourself, let others live in peace.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Right. And certainly understanding the language not necessarily speaking or reading it but having some insight into the early language along with culture is important. I don't think one should get hung up on tiny little translation differences as long as the message of the Scripture is relatively intact. The differences aren't really that huge though that I can think of off the top of my head. Not to the main message anyway. Certainly the words I read between versions don't make it irreconcilable.LJS9502_basic

I'm not discussing the OT...and I did say the message is important not every little detail. So that's immaterial to me.

What "message"? Mistranslation turned an event filled with divine intervention into a far less important event.

Improper translation caused this:

Maydays_Marsh_-_geograph.org.uk_-_45878.

To become this:

825637-moses.jpg

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] IYO. Some humans do need religion. LJS9502_basic

That isn't important. You said humans don't need religion. Doesn't matter why...if only you could be even private obvious.:(

It's not important to elaborate on why some people need religion in a thread titled "Do we still need religion"?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] IYO. Some humans do need religion. LJS9502_basic

Sure it does. The first time man looked up and wondered what the stars were, he made some $hit up because the rest of the tribe looked to him for all the answers. And from there, it became "you need me to tell you about things you don't understand".

Science fills that role now, but some people want to hang onto iron-age myth and legends because "I've been told my whole life if I don't beleive then I'll burn in hell for eternity, and I don't want to burn in hell."

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Moses parting the 'Sea of Reeds' instead of 'Red Sea' is a huge difference. The Red Sea is 100 miles across at some points while the Reed Sea is just marshland.

KC_Hokie

What "message"? Mistranslation turned an event filled with divine intervention into a far less important event.

To become this:

The message was still that Moses led the people away did it not?  Which is the point of the story....but again...I'm not going to pose as an expert on Jewish religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 LJS9502_basic

br0kenrabbit

Sure it does. The first time man looked up and wondered what the stars were, he made some $hit up because the rest of the tribe looked to him for all the answers. And from there, it became "you need me to tell you about things you don't understand".

Science fills that role now, but some people want to hang onto iron-age myth and legends because "I've been told my whole life if I don't beleive then I'll burn in hell for eternity, and I don't want to burn in hell."

That doesn't really seem logical to me. He could just as well have said a volcano erupted and rocks got stuck in the sky. You are now delving into assumptions here.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Ninja-Hippo

br0kenrabbit

I don't think it's necessarily that cynical. Plenty of people have abandoned the church and formal religion but still believe in God, or even a vague sense of a higher power. For no other reason other than it makes them feel good, they cant imagine life without it. I have a buddy who will tell you 'because there HAS to be' if you ask him about a God or higher power, and that's as far as he goes. He really needs there to be a God to live his life happily.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] If religion was mad made then that would not make sense.LJS9502_basic

That doesn't really seem logical to me. He could just as well have said a volcano erupted and rocks got stuck in the sky. You are now delving into assumptions here.

Why did the volcano erupt?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I'm not discussing the OT...and I did say the message is important not every little detail. So that's immaterial to me.LJS9502_basic

To become this:

The message was still that Moses led the people away did it not?  Which is the point of the story....but again...I'm not going to pose as an expert on Jewish religion.

It turned a simple exodus of people (which happens every week in human history) into something magnificent involving divine intervention. All because of a tiny mistranslation.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Yes, in my opinion, thank you captain obvious. Could you tell me why some humans need religion? -Sun_Tzu-

It's not important to elaborate on why some people need religion in a thread titled "Do we still need religion"?

It's not important to the posts between the two of us. Humans are not really necessary....
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]What "message"? Mistranslation turned an event filled with divine intervention into a far less important event.

To become this:

KC_Hokie

It turned a simple exodus of people (which happens every week in human history) into something magnificent involving divine intervention. All because of a tiny mistranslation.

What was the mistranslation? I've never heard this before. Do Jews accept that the parting of the red sea straight up didn't happen?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 br0kenrabbit

That doesn't really seem logical to me. He could just as well have said a volcano erupted and rocks got stuck in the sky. You are now delving into assumptions here.LJS9502_basic

Considering all religions attempt to explain the creation of the universe, each with opposing theories (and scientific impossibilities), I think it's a pretty good assumption.

The other half of the equation is "Why do bad people have good lives and good people often live bad ones...surely there's an equalizer."

Bada-Boom: afterlife.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]What "message"? Mistranslation turned an event filled with divine intervention into a far less important event.

To become this:

KC_Hokie

Where did you come up with the Sea of Reeds first?
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
No, I think religion should slowly be eradicated. I used to be a devote follower of christ, but now I see myself as an atheist. When I hear christians about their beliefs it really sounds like they're in a cult (ala mindstorm).
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 KC_Hokie

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]The message was still that Moses led the people away did it not?  Which is the point of the story....but again...I'm not going to pose as an expert on Jewish religion.

Ninja-Hippo

What was the mistranslation? I've never heard this before. Do Jews accept that the parting of the red sea straight up didn't happen?

Those who understand Hebrew well do. The original Hebrew word is Yam Suph which translates directly to Sea of Reeds.

When they translated from Hebrew to Greek to Latin then to English it became Red Sea.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That isn't important. You said humans don't need religion. Doesn't matter why...if only you could be even private obvious.:(LJS9502_basic

It's not important to the posts between the two of us. Humans are not really necessary....

Aww, come on LJ you know you aren't being fair now. I answered your question as to why humans are in fact necessary, the least you could do is answer my question in return. I bet you're the kind of guy that would fvck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That doesn't really seem logical to me. He could just as well have said a volcano erupted and rocks got stuck in the sky. You are now delving into assumptions here.br0kenrabbit

Considering all religions attempt to explain the creation of the universe, each with opposing theories (and scientific impossibilities), I think it's a pretty good assumption.

The other half of the equation is "Why do bad people have good lives and good people often live bad ones...surely there's an equalizer."

More assumptions on your part though.....you are doing why you accuse of others of doing.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 br0kenrabbit

I don't think it's necessarily that cynical. Plenty of people have abandoned the church and formal religion but still believe in God, or even a vague sense of a higher power. For no other reason other than it makes them feel good, they cant imagine life without it. I have a buddy who will tell you 'because there HAS to be' if you ask him about a God or higher power, and that's as far as he goes. He really needs there to be a God to live his life happily.Ninja-Hippo

Whether or not they have left the church isn't important. What is important, is that The Church has still defined for them what God is and what he expects.

If you never expose a child to religion, do you honestly think they'll conjure up the God of Abraham and Moses all on their own?

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]The message was still that Moses led the people away did it not?  Which is the point of the story....but again...I'm not going to pose as an expert on Jewish religion.

Ninja-Hippo

No, The hebrew name for the entirety of the red sea is the 'sea of reeds' because of the reeds at its banks. Jews believe the miracle of the parting of the red sea.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] It turned a simple exodus of people (which happens every week in human history) into something magnificent involving divine intervention. All because of a tiny mistranslation.

KC_Hokie

Those who understand Hebrew well do. The original Hebrew word is Yam Suph which translates directly to Sea of Reeds.

When they translated from Hebrew to Greek to Latin then to English it became Red Sea.

Mind = blown.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] It turned a simple exodus of people (which happens every week in human history) into something magnificent involving divine intervention. All because of a tiny mistranslation.

KC_Hokie

Where on earth did you come up with this nonsense?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 br0kenrabbit

More assumptions on your part though.....you are doing why you accuse of others of doing.LJS9502_basic

They're not my assumptions, it's the general consensus among scholars dating back to antiquity.

Do some reading.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] It's not important to elaborate on why some people need religion in a thread titled "Do we still need religion"?

-Sun_Tzu-

Aww, come on LJ you know you aren't being fair now. I answered your question as to why humans are in fact necessary, the least you could do is answer my question in return. /p>

I can't speak for what people believe. I don't follow a faith because of need...so I'm not really one that can answer that. You're asking me to speak for others. I did not ask that of you....only that you tell me why humans were necessary in your opinion.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] I don't think it's necessarily that cynical. Plenty of people have abandoned the church and formal religion but still believe in God, or even a vague sense of a higher power. For no other reason other than it makes them feel good, they cant imagine life without it. I have a buddy who will tell you 'because there HAS to be' if you ask him about a God or higher power, and that's as far as he goes. He really needs there to be a God to live his life happily.br0kenrabbit

Whether or not they have left the church isn't important. What is important, is that The Church has still defined for them what God is and what he expects.

If you never expose a child to religion, do you honestly think they'll conjure up the God of Abraham and Moses all on their own?

I don't think that's true. He doesn't believe in Jesus (magical Jesus that is), or heaven or hell or even that God is a person-type being. He just vaguely believes in a higher power and if you took that away from him he'd be extremely depressed.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"] It turned a simple exodus of people (which happens every week in human history) into something magnificent involving divine intervention. All because of a tiny mistranslation.pie-junior

No, The hebrew name for the entirety of the red sea is the 'sea of reeds' because of the reeds at its banks. Jews believe the miracle of the parting of the red sea.

Jewish scholars who understand Hebrew and the countless mistranslation certainly don't believe the parting of the Red Sea ever happened.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That doesn't really seem logical to me. He could just as well have said a volcano erupted and rocks got stuck in the sky. You are now delving into assumptions here.LJS9502_basic

More assumptions on your part though.....you are doing why you accuse of others of doing.

They're reasoned, logical assumptions. More or less axioms.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]More assumptions on your part though.....you are doing why you accuse of others of doing.br0kenrabbit

They're not my assumptions, it's the general consensus among scholars dating back to antiquity.

Do some reading.

Without any proof then aren't they making assumptions?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] What was the mistranslation? I've never heard this before. Do Jews accept that the parting of the red sea straight up didn't happen?pie-junior

Where on earth did you come up with this nonsense?

Try doing some research on Yam Suph and the Reed Sea. You might learn something your bible teacher didn't tell you.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]More assumptions on your part though.....you are doing why you accuse of others of doing.LJS9502_basic

Do some reading.

Without any proof then aren't they making assumptions?

Unless you went back in time and literally asked the ancient aztecs why they believed in the sun god, you'd have to make an assumption that they believed in the sun god as an explanation of where the sun came from.