Do we still need religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Most people do if you're receptive to them....LJS9502_basic

Most people will explain why they believe in God, but mindstorm's post are written in a quasi-scholarly fashion.

Oh well again we disagree. He posts his opinion but as for scholarly many of things he's posting are counter to what I've learned.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but whether a post is written in a scholarly fashion has nothing to do with what you've learned. By scholarly, I simply mean that his posts are robust and he goes into great detail about his ideas/interpretations, which is what academic writing does. Whether you agree with his conclusions is immaterial.

#152 Posted by DaBrainz (7903 posts) -
I don't see how science nullifies religion in any way.harashawn
#153 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Most people will explain why they believe in God, but mindstorm's post are written in a quasi-scholarly fashion.

GreySeal9

Oh well again we disagree. He posts his opinion but as for scholarly many of things he's posting are counter to what I've learned.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but whether a post is written in a scholarly fashion has nothing to do with what you've learned. By scholarly, I simply mean that his posts are robust and he goes into great detail about his ideas/interpretations, which is what academic writing does. Whether you agree with his conclusions is immaterial.

Okay...well when I see something written that doesn't actually seem accurate then I can't give it the same value that you do. We'll have to agree to disagree. I mean I wouldn't care how scholarly you presented 2 and 2 adding up to five when it's something I don't see as accurate.
#154 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

are you two seriously arguing about the finer points of how the written opinion can be construed? >_<

Let's get this back on track: People don't need religion, we can survive just fine without it. Agriculture and technological advancements have provided the homo sapiens with more than religion could ever hope to claim to have contributed. Religion fills a vacuous need for "meaning" and "purpose" for life. It has helped primitive societies by providing dogmatic instructions and giving it moral justification by claiming it comes from a higher being.

#155 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

are you two seriously arguing about the finer points of how the written opinion can be construed? >_<

Let's get this back on track: People don't need religion, we can survive just fine without it. Agriculture and technological advancements have provided the homo sapiens with more than religion could ever hope to claim to have contributed. Religion fills a vacuous need for "meaning" and "purpose" for life. It has helped primitive societies by providing dogmatic instructions and giving it moral justification by claiming it comes from a higher being.

SirWander
At least we aren't writing in pink font.....>__>
#156 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

At least we aren't writing in pink font.....>__>LJS9502_basic

LOL, really? You aren't even trying.

I like the pink font, and I dictate the color of my font regardless if my posts are taken seriously.

#157 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]At least we aren't writing in pink font.....>__>SirWander

I like the pink font, and I dictate the color of my font regardless if my posts are taken seriously.

Not the easiest to read with the dark background....
#158 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

Not the easiest to read with the dark background....LJS9502_basic

I can see if that's a problem. Fine then, in longish posts I won't change the font color.

#159 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

[QUOTE="SirWander"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]At least we aren't writing in pink font.....>__>LJS9502_basic

I find it easy to read. Out of curiosity I tried reading it in the light background. I think it permanently damaged my eyes.

#160 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="SirWander"]

toast_burner

I find it easy to read. Out of curiosity I tried reading it in the light background. I think it permanently damaged my eyes.

I avoid the light in general......
#161 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I rather go with the good part of religion.Jd1680a
Those are few and far between... and when someone decides to follow "only" those teachings, they tend to just give up and say "I'll just ge a good person for the sake of it" rather than invoke the supernatural.
#162 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]I rather go with the good part of religion.Zeviander
Those are few and far between... and when someone decides to follow "only" those teachings, they tend to just give up and say "I'll just ge a good person for the sake of it" rather than invoke the supernatural.

You make assumptions. Christianity requires two things...belief/relationship with God....love fellow humans and do good by them. Neither of which are harmful.
#163 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
I can't think of one worthwhile thing that the human race needs religion for.
#164 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -
I can't think of one worthwhile thing that the human race needs religion for. -Sun_Tzu-
I can't think of one worthwhile thing the human race is needed for....
#165 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I can't think of one worthwhile thing that the human race needs religion for. LJS9502_basic

Odd thing for a living human to say.
#166 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I can't think of one worthwhile thing that the human race needs religion for. -Sun_Tzu-

Not really.....and you haven't exactly given me a reason.
#167 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I can't think of one worthwhile thing the human race is needed for....

Why are you alive then if you see nothing worthwhile in your existence?
#168 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="harashawn"]I don't see how science nullifies religion in any way.CongressManStan
Are you joking me?

It's true though. Religion is an epistemological eel. When backed into a corner, religious advocates and apologists will always wriggle their way out of a tough argument by using the "it's just metaphor" excuse. God is running out of gaps however.
You make assumptions. Christianity requires two things...belief/relationship with God....love fellow humans and do good by them. Neither of which are harmful.LJS9502_basic
Your version of Christianity requires two things.
#169 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Odd thing for a living human to say.

Time for the talk? Well when mommy and daddy get a little lonely at night they sometimes get together and a baby results roughly nine months later. That is where life comes from little sun.
#170 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]You make assumptions. Christianity requires two things...belief/relationship with God....love fellow humans and do good by them. Neither of which are harmful.Zeviander
Your version of Christianity requires two things.

Uh..Jesus ie Christ's version.;)

#171 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

Why are you alive then if you see nothing worthwhile in your existence? -Sun_Tzu-

killing oneself is redundant when death is inevitable.

#172 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Not really.....and you haven't exactly given me a reason.LJS9502_basic

Time for the talk? Well when mommy and daddy get a little lonely at night they sometimes get together and a baby results roughly nine months later. That is where life comes from little sun.

Hmm, I see

Troll on then I suppose, if that is what makes your existence worthwhile 

#173 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

LJS9502_basic

Matthew 10:34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

#174 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Why are you alive then if you see nothing worthwhile in your existence? -Sun_Tzu-

Hmm, I see

Troll on then I suppose, if that is what makes your existence worthwhile 

I'm not trolling. You asked an incredibly stupid question.
#175 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jd1680a"]I rather go with the good part of religion.Zeviander

I've been waiting for many many years for an answer to the question: "Name a single good moral or ethical statement or action that can be performed or said by a believer than cannot be performed or said by a non-believer."

Never heard a single legit answer. 

#176 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

SirWander

Matthew 10:34 "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Yes...He was saying His coming would divide people/families. Which did happen. Some choose to follow Him...some did not.
#177 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

I'm not trolling.LJS9502_basic
:hah: good one

You're the one who said you saw nothing worthwhile in humanity's existence. An appropriate follow up question is to ask simply why someone who would make such a statement choose to continue to partake in existential navel gazing.

#178 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm not trolling.-Sun_Tzu-

You're the one who said you saw nothing worthwhile in humanity's existence. An appropriate follow up question is to ask simply why someone who would make such a statement choose to continue to partake in existential navel gazing.

And as of yet you have NOT countered with one example.
#179 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Uh..Jesus ie Christ's version.;)LJS9502_basic
The Bible contains a few more pages than what you suggest it does. And many believe adherence to that written creed is required.
#180 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Uh..Jesus ie Christ's version.;)Zeviander
The Bible contains a few more pages than what you suggest it does. And many believe adherence to that written creed is required.

Are you going to continue in vague terms or will you be specific.
#181 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm not trolling.LJS9502_basic

Well why don't you just kill yourself? Your the one claiming human life isn't worthwhile. 

#182 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] :hah: good one

toast_burner

Well why don't you just kill yourself? Your the one claiming human life isn't worthwhile. 

That is so NOT what I said.....
#183 Posted by Shinobi-Neo (254 posts) -

religion can help to control the people. it´s actually proven that without religion there is less control as well. these days it doesn´t matter anymore, I guess.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
#184 Posted by RationalAtheist (4428 posts) -

I don't need religion. I'm glad it's optional. Some people seem to need it though.

#185 Posted by DaBrainz (7903 posts) -
I think without religious faith to uplift people there would be many more suicides.
#186 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] :hah: good one

toast_burner

Be careful now, when in communication with LJ one must choose their words ever so carefully, 'lest thee want to embark on a never-ending dispute over semantics.

He did not say that human life isn't worthwhile, he said "I can't think of one worthwhile thing the human race is needed for...."

#187 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Are you going to continue in vague terms or will you be specific.LJS9502_basic
I've been specific enough in the past. Almost anything I bring up will just be dismissed on the grounds that the dismisser doesn't "believe" that part to be "essential". There are "Christians" who fall as 100% literal and 100% metaphorical (i.e. "only need faith in Jesus, yada yada yada"), and everywhere in between. I personally find the main message of Christianity; that this life is meaningless and only used to get into Heaven (the literal or metaphorical one), that the weak are better than the strong (and the strong should be punished for taking what they can from life), and that the only thing one needs to do is "believe in Christ" to be "saved" regardless of action (as everything is forgiven) is detrimental to the survival and development of the human race. But that's just me and my opinion of things.
#188 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Are you going to continue in vague terms or will you be specific.Zeviander
I've been specific enough in the past. Almost anything I bring up will just be dismissed on the grounds that the dismisser doesn't "believe" that part to be "essential". There are "Christians" who fall as 100% literal and 100% metaphorical (i.e. "only need faith in Jesus, yada yada yada"), and everywhere in between. I personally find the main message of Christianity; that this life is meaningless and only used to get into Heaven (the literal or metaphorical one), that the weak are better than the strong (and the strong should be punished for taking what they can from life), and that the only thing one needs to do is "believe in Christ" to be "saved" regardless of action (as everything is forgiven) is detrimental to the survival and development of the human race. But that's just me and my opinion of things.

I'm not talking about interpretation though. I'm talking about what's in the book. Certainly one can take any book, movie etc and interpret it as they wish. That doesn't mean they actually understood the property.
#189 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -

it´s actually proven that without religion there is less control as well.

Shinobi-Neo
That's interesting, do you have a link?
#190 Posted by -Sun_Tzu- (17384 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Are you going to continue in vague terms or will you be specific.LJS9502_basic

I'm not talking about interpretation though. I'm talking about what's in the book. Certainly one can take any book, movie etc and interpret it as they wish. That doesn't mean they actually understood the property.

How are you suppose to talk about what is in a book without some degree of interpretation?
#191 Posted by toast_burner (24666 posts) -

That is so NOT what I said.....LJS9502_basic

I can't think of one worthwhile thing the human race is needed for....LJS9502_basic

Why don't you expand upon that?

#192 Posted by Jazz_Fan (29516 posts) -

My face upon reading this thread

nietzsche1.jpg

#193 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] That is so NOT what I said.....toast_burner

I can't think of one worthwhile thing the human race is needed for....LJS9502_basic

Why don't you expand upon that?

Can you tell me what humans are needed for?
#194 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

My face upon reading this thread

nietzsche1.jpg

Jazz_Fan

Leon Trotsky thinks you're hotsky

#195 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15070 posts) -

I'm not talking about interpretation though. I'm talking about what's in the book. Certainly one can take any book, movie etc and interpret it as they wish. That doesn't mean they actually understood the property.LJS9502_basic

Which book? The original, or the piss-poor translations?

#196 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I'm not talking about interpretation though. I'm talking about what's in the book. Certainly one can take any book, movie etc and interpret it as they wish. That doesn't mean they actually understood the property.br0kenrabbit

Which book? The original, or the piss-poor translations?

Either way, the bible is the world's oldest running game of Telephone

#197 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15070 posts) -

wis3boi

True, but even just comparing the original languages to, say, the KJV, the meaning and intent from the original text is completely perverted.

#198 Posted by LJS9502_basic (161760 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

br0kenrabbit

True, but even just comparing the original languages to, say, the KJV, the meaning and intent from the original text is completely perverted.

Lucky for me I don't use the KJV....
#199 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15070 posts) -

Lucky for me I don't use the KJV....LJS9502_basic

I haven't seen a translation yet that adheres to the meaning of the original text. They really like translating word-for-word without regard to meaning.

For instance, if you translated "raining cats and dogs" to X language as "cats and dogs were falling from the sky", you've lost the whole meaning.

#200 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I'm not talking about interpretation though. I'm talking about what's in the book. Certainly one can take any book, movie etc and interpret it as they wish. That doesn't mean they actually understood the property.LJS9502_basic
I'm going to assume you meant "properly". You are the authority on how the Bible and Christianity is to be interpreted? There is far more than "believe in Christ" written in the Bible. If that was it's main message, it would have been a pamphlet, not a 1000+ page book.