Do we still need religion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#101 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Oh hush, I don't think religion should be banned.

However I am not a fan of ancient religious dogmatic views being used to determine current laws and education.

tenaka2

The way that you responded to his post indicates that you think it is okay to ban religion because it holds society back. He said that he doesn't think that athiesm should be banned even though society doesn't need it and then you said "But religion holds society back."

If it was anybody else, I would just assume they didn't want to ban religion, but since you're so continually ridiculous about these issues and your post does indicate that you at the very least think it's okay to ban religion, I made the most natural assumption.

Well for the record I do not think religion should be banned, however I think it should not influence modern day decisions regarding laws and politics. Some are worse then others, I find the Islamic treatment of women to be horrific and the catholics view on safe sex to be irresponsible. 

However there are positive sides to religion also.

No disagreement there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

Oh hush, I don't think religion should be banned.

However I am not a fan of ancient religious dogmatic views being used to determine current laws and education.

tenaka2

The way that you responded to his post indicates that you think it is okay to ban religion because it holds society back. He said that he doesn't think that athiesm should be banned even though society doesn't need it and then you said "But religion holds society back."

If it was anybody else, I would just assume they didn't want to ban religion, but since you're so continually ridiculous about these issues and your post does indicate that you at the very least think it's okay to ban religion, I made the most natural assumption.

Well for the record I do not think religion should be banned, however I think it should not influence modern day decisions regarding laws and politics. Some are worse then others, I find the Islamic treatment of women to be horrific and the catholics view on safe sex to be irresponsible. 

However there are positive sides to religion also.

Catholic side to safe sex? Technically if one is following the precepts of Catholicism one is not engaging in premarital sex etc. But condoms are allowed to prevent disease anyway. +
Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
I don't see how science nullifies religion in any way.harashawn
Are you joking me?
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Bane_09"]

I am not intolerant, I tolerate religion everyday. I am still entitled to my opinion that religion is silly. 

Bane_09

Sometimes opinions should not be broadcast.

Hey I feel the same way about many religious person's opinions but I don't tell them not to share.

I assure you, there are much more vile things I could say about religion but am not. I thought silly was a pretty mild term, especially compared to what a lot of users here say.

Also, this is an internet forum.

In social settings, I could understand the sentiment that one should not call other people's religions silly and mythological. Actually, I think in public settings, people should keep that view to themselves because it could be disruptive if too many people are offended. But one doesn't need be so politically correct online.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#105 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]We don't need anything We don't need televisions We don't need computers No reason why we can't have them. No reason why we can't have religion

pretty much this...
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Sometimes opinions should not be broadcast.GreySeal9

Hey I feel the same way about many religious person's opinions but I don't tell them not to share.

I assure you, there are much more vile things I could say about religion but am not. I thought silly was a pretty mild term, especially compared to what a lot of users here say.

In social settings, I could understand the sentiment that one should not call other people's religions silly and mythological. Actually, I think in public settings, people should keep that view to themselves because it could be disruptive if too many people are offended. But one doesn't need be so politically correct online.

Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

LJS9502_basic

Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.

I think this opinion seems pretty bitter (and OT athiests are not really indicative of athiests in general), but it doesn't really bother me. I'd rather people be forthright about their opinions.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

I think this opinion seems pretty bitter (and OT athiests are not really indicative of athiests in general), but it doesn't really bother me.

Well now I did say OT.....and I'm not bitter. It's how they come across when I read their posts....
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#109 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

I don't think it's needed anymore, I get by just fine without religion. But if people want to believe in silly mythologies that's their choice

LJS9502_basic

Why are atheists (majority of them in OT anyway) intolerant?

I wouldn't say I'm too intolerant, but maybe because I get to deal with a vast majority of intolerant religious folks in real life that it translates to the things I say on the internet...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Do we need atheism? no.

osirisx3

THis makes as much sense as saying "We don't need non-stamp collectors"

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.LJS9502_basic

I think this opinion seems pretty bitter (and OT athiests are not really indicative of athiests in general), but it doesn't really bother me.

Well now I did say OT.....and I'm not bitter. It's how they come across when I read their posts....

There's no doubt that some of athiests here are intolerant and ignorant, but looking at the threads as someone who has sympathies both with religious people and athiests, I see a mix of arrogant douchebag athiests and the ones that have a live and let live attitude.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.LJS9502_basic

Both sides are exactly the same, you cannot see it because of your bias.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 wis3boi

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.tenaka2

I like how he never has reason and evidense for his side, just calls others intolerant when they don't agree with his exclusive club

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Sometimes opinions should not be broadcast.GreySeal9

mhm, all of my friends and family are religious so I very rarely even talk about religion outside of this forum. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

There's no doubt that some of athiests here are intolerant and ignorant, but looking at the threads as someone who has sympathies both with religious people and athiests, I see a mix of arrogant douchebag athiests and the ones that have a live and let live attitude.

I didn't say 100%. But it's a small minority of OT atheists that have that attitude. Though they also tend to be the more intelligent atheists as well.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.tenaka2

I don't see much of that happening in OT now the Black Regiment etc are gone. But they were intolerant to anyone that didn't share their specific beliefs.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Bane_09

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

LJS9502_basic

As has been said on OT countless times there are fools on both sides. For example, Shadowmoses talks sh*t about atheists every chance he gets and comes across as very intolerant and ignorant

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.LJS9502_basic

I don't see much of that happening in OT now the Black Regiment etc are gone. But they were intolerant to anyone that didn't share their specific beliefs.

I need an OT history lession: who are the Black Regiment?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.LJS9502_basic

What about those 2 crazy militant muslim guys, like it or not they fall into the religious camp?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

GreySeal9

I need an OT history lession: who are the Black Regiment?

Part of a group of fundies that visited OT and preached frequently....Crushmaster was a member....and a few others but their names escape me. The did have a union here. And a Facebook page where they took shots at OT users.:P
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 wis3boi

Bane_09

As has been said on OT countless times there are fools on both sides. For example, Shadowmoses talks sh*t about atheists every chance he gets and comes across as very intolerant and ignorant

Very true, and I'll add that intolerating the intolerant is not the same as intolerance itself.  Too often are people quick to jump to the conclusion of "intolerance ignorant atheist" when all they do is challenge an religious viewpoint

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 LJS9502_basic

Bane_09

One person is what you came up with? Then I guess it's true the religious aren't bothering you here.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#123 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
>Religion can divide people or bring them together And you are doing a great job of trying to divide people.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Bane_09

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.LJS9502_basic

One person is what you came up with? Then I guess it's true the religious aren't bothering you here.

Well it's not like I'm going to try and think of every person I can, in all honesty I don't visit the site enough to know a whole lot of users by name. But yeah for the most part the religious users don't bother me at all, but there are some posts I'll see here and there that are just as bad as anything an atheist user has said. I actually like reading Mindstorm's(think that's his name) post when he does post

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]>Religion can divide people or bring them together And you are doing a great job of trying to divide people.

Eh...unless someone makes religion an issue I don't "divide" them whether they believe differently or not at all. And even then....I don't divide them. Just don't agree with them.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 LJS9502_basic

Bane_09

Well it's not like I'm going to try and think of every person I can, in all honesty I don't visit the site enough to know a whole lot of users by name. But yeah for the most part the religious users don't bother me at all, but there are some posts I'll see here and there that are just as bad as anything an atheist user has said. I actually like reading Mindstorm's(think that's his name) post when he does post

LOL I don't often agree with Mindstorm's ideas....
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Bane_09

Very true, and I'll add that intolerating the intolerant is not the same as intolerance itself.  Too often are people quick to jump to the conclusion of "intolerance ignorant atheist" when all they do is challenge an religious viewpoint

wis3boi

That's true, people do seem to have the view that questioning is the equivalent to attacking. Some things about religion do need to be questioned and changed, especially if it wishes to survive in a changing society

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Bane_09

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] One person is what you came up with? Then I guess it's true the religious aren't bothering you here.LJS9502_basic

Eh, compared to most users, I find his views interesting and he does a good job of not coming off as a d-bag

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Bane_09

That's true, people do seem to have the view that questioning is the equivalent to attacking. Some things about religion do need to be questioned and changed, especially if it wishes to survive in a changing society

LOL.....justifications.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#130 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]>Religion can divide people or bring them together And you are doing a great job of trying to divide people.LJS9502_basic
Eh...unless someone makes religion an issue I don't "divide" them whether they believe differently or not at all. And even then....I don't divide them. Just don't agree with them.

I meant TC. Sorry was not clear.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 LJS9502_basic

Bane_09

Eh, compared to most users, I find his views interesting and he does a good job of not coming off as a d-bag

Well I was more talking about his biblical interpretations.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Oh well if we want to share opinions online then after reading posts in OT I have found roughly 95% of atheists to be intolerant and ignorant. Most of the ideas about religion are flat out wrong. They come across more as angst filled insecure children.wis3boi

This is very true. There are some religious people that get offended simply because another person does not buy into their beliefs. But there are definitely people on here who say things just to get under religious people's skin and are not really trying to make any constructive point.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 tenaka2

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] LOL I don't often agree with Mindstorm's ideas....LJS9502_basic

Have to agree with LJ, while Mindstorms faith is admirable, he can be a little to Old Testament for my liking.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Bane_09

Religion is designed to be intangible and behind a wall to defend against criticism and his been that way for 1000s of years, its no wonder the information age has come as a shock to firm believers when they get challenged.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 LJS9502_basic

tenaka2

Have to agree with LJ, while Mindstorms faith is admirable, he can be a little to Old Testament for my liking.

Wait...what? You agree with me? The world is spinning backwards on it's axis.:o :P
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 GreySeal9

tenaka2

Some of his views are pretty extreme IMO, but I like that he actually takes the time to explain his thinking.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 tenaka2

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well I was more talking about his biblical interpretations.LJS9502_basic

Wait...what? You agree with me? The world is spinning backwards on it's axis.:o :P

I agree with you on loads of stuff.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 wis3boi

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Well I was more talking about his biblical interpretations.GreySeal9

Some of his views are pretty extreme IMO, but I like that he actually takes the time to explain his thinking.

I'll disagree and say it doesn't explain anything other than "I believe it because I was raised in it"

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

tenaka2

I agree with you on loads of stuff.

News to me....we always seem to be disagreeing.:P
PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

I think most people need religion. Religion is a placebo for the mind. Adults need something to rationalize their existence, and they also need something to look forward too so they don't feel useless, or minuscule. Fightingfan

That's funny because I think a higher power does just that. It makes me feel little. I think strength and happiness should come from nowhere but within yourself.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

wis3boi

I'll disagree and say it doesn't explain anything other than "I believe it because I was raised in it"

He doesn't explain the idea that God exists any better than anybody else, but he does take the time to explain his theology.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

He doesn't explain the idea that God exists any better than anybody else, but he does take the time to explain his theology.

Most people do if you're receptive to them....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

He sure does, but it's all quite baseless and useless if you cannot give anyone else a reason to believe what you claim without tapdancing around the loopholes and fallacies

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

LJS9502_basic

Most people will explain why they believe in God, but mindstorm's post are written in a quasi-scholarly fashion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

He sure does, but it's all quite baseless and useless if you cannot give anyone else a reason to believe what you claim without tapdancing around the loopholes and fallacies

Well, I'm not commenting on the merit of his claims because I don't agree with most of what he says. I just appreciate the effort he puts into his posts.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

Most people will explain why they believe in God, but mindstorm's post are written in a quasi-scholarly fashion.

Oh well again we disagree. He posts his opinion but as for scholarly many of things he's posting are counter to what I've learned.
Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#147 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

I think the world needs to forget about religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic

I think the world needs to forget about religion.

Kats_RK
Is this tolerance I'm reading?
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#149 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts
I believe in Harvey Dent.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#150 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Science and religion aren't mututally exclusive.