Do the price of blu ray movies go down over time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mister_Mackey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mister_Mackey
Member since 2011 • 384 Posts

Or do they go up?

I want to buy Saw 3D on blu-ray but it's $40 or so. That seems like an awful lot for 1 movie.

Can I expect for the price to go down over time? Or will it go up due to limited availability?

immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#2 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Yes, like most things it'll go down. There's plenty of cheap blu rays around, just new releases take a little longer.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

They're almost as much as DVDs. Hell, sometimes they're cheaper than DVDs.

EDIT: Went into the thread without actually reading your post. They'll go down over time.. unless if it's The Third Man from Criterion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

Unless it's some uber rare blu ray edition like the japanes only second release of the steelbook Terminator 2, which, mind you, has the best encode quality of all versions yet released. The other choices are the inferior mpeg2 encoded one or the AVC one with DNR.

It should go down. If not, then there is still no reason not to treat yourself once in a while.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Yups it's already horribalsy cheap..... time for you to get a bluray player .. or just get a PS3
heytheredarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 heytheredarlin
Member since 2010 • 869 Posts

Dumb question. Save your $40 though, that movie sucks bad.

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
That could be for the 3d ones, reguloids are prolly as cheap as dvds.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts
Yes, they go down overtime.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

They already have started to go down. You can get some movies for quite cheap now.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

If you wait like a year they go down to $9.99. I have no clue why the fck you would want a 3D BR, let alone Saw :|

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
They've already gone way down in price. When they first came out almost all BD's were atleast 30-40. Now most new releases are from 18-24 depending if they come with a digital copy and DVD and other extras. Also during black friday there were dozens of BD's for under $9 and on Amazon there are tons of BD's about the same price as DVD's. The only iffy thing is some movies on BD are really no better than the DVD version, so sometimes you might want to research a review of the BD especially for older movies or smaller studios.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Celldrax

They've already gone way down in price. When they first came out almost all BD's were atleast 30-40. Now most new releases are from 18-24 depending if they come with a digital copy and DVD and other extras. Also during black friday there were dozens of BD's for under $9 and on Amazon there are tons of BD's about the same price as DVD's. The only iffy thing is some movies on BD are really no better than the DVD version, so sometimes you might want to research a review of the BD especially for older movies or smaller studios.Kurushio

Despite how some movies may look, blu-ray discs offer better sound quailty regardless. That's usually enough for me to choose them over DVD's

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]They've already gone way down in price. When they first came out almost all BD's were atleast 30-40. Now most new releases are from 18-24 depending if they come with a digital copy and DVD and other extras. Also during black friday there were dozens of BD's for under $9 and on Amazon there are tons of BD's about the same price as DVD's. The only iffy thing is some movies on BD are really no better than the DVD version, so sometimes you might want to research a review of the BD especially for older movies or smaller studios.Celldrax

Despite how some movies may look, blu-ray discs offer better sound quailty regardless. That's usually enough for me to choose them over DVD's

Not always true. At best you can say it's usually not worse than the DVD counter part. There are some pretty terrible BD's out there but for the most part they are atleast somewhat better than a DVD but again, hardly worth it.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Rent dude. Netflix BD subscription is like $10. I think there's even a free trial.

Is Saw really worth keeping? Do you have an actual home theater? (HQ HDTV, Audio Reciever, surround sound system)

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Celldrax

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]They've already gone way down in price. When they first came out almost all BD's were atleast 30-40. Now most new releases are from 18-24 depending if they come with a digital copy and DVD and other extras. Also during black friday there were dozens of BD's for under $9 and on Amazon there are tons of BD's about the same price as DVD's. The only iffy thing is some movies on BD are really no better than the DVD version, so sometimes you might want to research a review of the BD especially for older movies or smaller studios.Kurushio

Not always true. At best you can say it's usually not worse than the DVD counter part. There are some pretty terrible BD's out there but for the most part they are atleast somewhat better than a DVD but again, hardly worth it.

I'm just basing it off my own setup. Pretty decent sized speakers, so I've just always noticed with blu-ray that the bass in particuler comes through mush less distorted sounding than DVD's.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

[QUOTE="Kurushio"][QUOTE="Celldrax"]

Celldrax

I'm just basing it off my own setup. Pretty decent sized speakers, so I've just always noticed with blu-ray that the bass in particuler comes through mush less distorted sounding than DVD's.

DVDs uses compressed AC3 audio at 384 Kbits a sec
BD uses lossless (uncompressed) LPCM at 27,648 kbits, AC3/Dolby TrueHD at 18,640 kbps and DTS-HDMA at 24,500 kbps

If you're the type of person that can't tell the difference between an MP3 song and CD track then yeah you're probably not going notice the difference in quality. But it is there, BD offer much better quality but you absolutely need the equipment to show it. If you don't have at least a $2000 home theater setup (rough estimate on retail price) you most likely don't have the necessary components to get the most out of BD's higher bit rates.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Celldrax

DVDs uses compressed AC3 audio at 384 Kbits a sec
BD uses lossless (uncompressed) LPCM at 27,648 kbits, AC3/Dolby TrueHD at 18,640 kbps and DTS-HDMA at 24,500 kbps

If you're the type of person that can't tell the difference between an MP3 song and CD track then yeah you're probably not going notice the difference in quality. But it is there, BD offer much better quality but you absolutely need the equipment to show it. If you don't have at least a $2000 home theater setup (rough estimate on retail price) you most likely don't have the necessary components to get the most out of BD's higher bit rates.

Blue-Sky

Definitely. If you're just plugging the audio through a $100 stereo, you're not really getting all you can out of the disc. Though I'm more or less under the $1000 mark. I have a couple of large wooden tower speakers that do most of the work. I've never concerned myself too much with the whole surround sound thing, but I definitely get the sound coming from where I need it to.