Do people really buy movies/TV shows digitally these days?

#1 Posted by qx0d (333 posts) -

I see movies and TV shows available on streaming apps like Google Play, Vudu, YouTube, Amazon Video and others.

I don't buy movies that way; I buy them on Blu-ray or DVD.

I don't like the idea of my favorite movies/shows being linked to a particular online account. If that service went down someday, or your Internet went down, you couldn't stream them anymore. They would just be gone. And you'd have to buy them again elsewhere.

Do people really buy movies digitally? Streaming a rental makes sense, and perhaps buying an episode or two of a TV show, in order to see how you like the show. But I can't imagine buying a movie on these streaming services. You wouldn't really own the movie. It would be dependent on your Internet connection working and the app working.

Do you buy movies/TV shows digitally? Is this something most people do now days and I'm just an old-fashioned person?

#2 Edited by Sevenizz (3838 posts) -

When you buy digitally, you’re downloading it to a hard drive and it doesn’t require an internet connection to access.

To my knowledge, you cannot buy specifically streamed content. It’s a service, not a product.

#3 Posted by Crash6 (3378 posts) -

I still prefer to buy hard copies of my movies but I have bought digital copies occasionally. I actually just bought The Mule on Xbox last night and watched it. Sometimes if it's a movie I really want to see badly I just say forget the hard copy and buy it digitally because they usually release it 3 to 4 weeks before the physical release and I can be impatient, such is the case with the film I previously mentioned.

#4 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1500 posts) -
@qx0d said:

Do you buy movies/TV shows digitally? Is this something most people do now days and I'm just an old-fashioned person?

No, I only buy physical. Digital licenses have too many drawbacks. Inferior quality, fewer audio options, less assurance that the license will still be usable years from now, no extras, buffering in spite of a good connection, no resell value, no gifting value, data usage (I have a monthly cap, like many other Americans)... People are so dependent on their clouds now, their online accounts. They've chosen to give up all ownership for a little convenience. It's concerning. In twenty years, we won't own games anymore either. They will all be on the cloud, accessible through streaming. Preservation will be entirely dependent on the distributor. Good luck with that. Filmstruck and Ultraviolet both ended this year.

#5 Edited by warmblur (2367 posts) -

I don't really buy movies anymore but if I did it would be physical I like knowing I don't have to worry about it disappearing one day. Also I like looking at the box art there is just something about holding a physical copy that feels more special.

#6 Posted by Speeny (1641 posts) -

I’ll buy my movies/tv series physically for as long as I can. Pretty much only because it’s still the best quality available and it’s most reliable.

#7 Posted by Robbie23 (346 posts) -

@Crash6: what did you think of the Mule? Personally I did not enjoy it.

#8 Posted by SBan83 (39 posts) -

Yes, most people are not possessive about a piece of media that holds little interest once they've seen it. I understand wanting to hold on to certain movies for watching again and again (like for me, it's the Godfather) but 99% of the time, it's watch and forget, so digital is perfect for that. No mountain of disc box clutter and cheaper too usually than buying a bluray.

#9 Edited by Ezekiel43 (1500 posts) -

@sban83 said:

No mountain of disc box clutter and cheaper too usually than buying a bluray.

He asked about buying movies. This isn't about rental services like Netflix. I just picked a random movie and found that the Blu-ray is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/2001-Space-Odyssey-Re-Mastered-Blu-ray/dp/B07KHKWNPW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3475T7TVOL1II

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/2001-a-space-odyssey/id285993250

https://www.amazon.com/2001-Space-Odyssey-Douglas-Rain/dp/B002WS54G8

I also picked a random TV show and found that the price is the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Complete-Blu-ray-Catherine-Dent/dp/B07FZ7MP4K

https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/the-shield-the-complete-collection/id1321675884

I think the iTunes version is actually the older SD version. Amazon doesn't have the HD version digitally either. Looks like you can only buy the seasons individually at a higher price.

Just for fun, I picked your favorite movie. Again the Blu-ray is cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Godfather-Blu-ray-Marlon-Brando/dp/B06XNPL54J/ref=tmm_blu_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1554015073&sr=8-5

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/the-godfather-the-coppola-restoration/id285494571

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166462 posts) -

I buy physical copies. Much better.

#11 Edited by Zuon (334 posts) -

I stick to physical. Digital copies of movies are usually more expensive than the physical copy, even though they come with less content, and audio and video compression that shows they didn't care about how pleasant the viewing experience actually is. Sometimes chapters are missing, and I have older family members who are hard of hearing, so I've also stayed away from digital for the possibility that the subtitle tracks may not be included.

If I ever want a digital copy of a movie, I'll but the Blu-Ray and rip/compress it myself with Handbrake.

I use a varying RF factor to get as close to 4gb per movie as possible, have it set to high profile 4.1, I select the English audio track only, compress it to AC3 5.1 @ 640kbps, and export all subtitle tracks with the movie (setting the English track to "forced only.)"

Doing this ensures I get the highest quality movie with all the features I personally need, with English subtitles that properly appear when foreign languages are spoken.

My digital copies are better than anything Netflix, Vudu, etc has to offer.

#12 Posted by Crash6 (3378 posts) -

@robbie23: Well let me just say that it wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be. Overall, I personally enjoyed it, mainly because of the acting. But I can definitely see someone walking into the theatre expecting a certain type of movie and walking out a bit confused and slightly underwhelmed. I wasn't expecting Sicario, but I was expecting a bit more action and tense situational drama than there was. I know it was based off of a true story, so maybe they were just trying to stay authentic to the source material which I can't be mad at.

Bottom line, it was a little dull, the pacing was slow, but the acting was great and it was shot very well. A very different type of drug movie that I wasn't expecting but can still appreciate.