Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

Tbh I hate it when they bring up this shit just bcuz there losing a debate such as a game or etc argument. Just to change the topic bcuz they have no idea wtf there talking about its infection over on ign.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

If you really hate it, just use better grammar.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Commiesdie:

Arguments online tend to go a few ways. First, it's a pretend battle of the intellectuals. Gather info from a dictionary tab and use the biggest words they can find to make their argument sound articulate. Then one will resort to petty name calling and the other will point it out. If the name calling doesn't happen, then the other person will try to point out flaws in one's grammar. This goes back and forth until someone either gives up or gets bored of arguing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59109 Posts

Usually if someone picks on your spelling it's not them trying to help you but an attempt to elevate themselves, which isn't a great sign.

Most people (myself included) with bad grammar are perfectly understandable.

Jut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jut
Member since 2015 • 250 Posts

Is it really that difficult to learn the difference between There, They're and Their ?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

eh. if it's not pointed out, how else do people learn?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Moving from Sports to Off Topic because this obviously has nothing to do with sports. Please put your posts in the appropriate forum for the subject matter.

To the Op's question, if you want to be understood by others it's generally a good idea to take a few extra minutes when writing out your post to make sure it's coherent. What people write is pretty much always clear to the person who wrote it (because they know what they were thinking when they wrote it) but everyone else doesn't have the benefit of knowing what's in your head beforehand. They have to rely on the words you write entirely, so if those words are disjointed, badly misspelled, or just plain wrong, then it can be very difficult to get your point across. Additionally, if you're trying to convince others that you know more about a particular topic, few things undermine that position faster than not being able to string together a complete sentence.

GameSpot actually has rules in the Code of Conduct (CoC) about ensuring that your posts at least resemble something like proper English. I'm not going to mention any names, but there are a few regular posters on GameSpot who's spelling and grammar are so bad that half the time most posters can't understand what they are trying to say. This can be for a number of different reasons. Sometimes it's laziness, but other times it might be because someone is learning English as a second language and that effort should be applauded. On the other side of that coin, while correcting someone else's grammar isn't technically against the rules on GameSpot we also do have a line in the CoC about going overboard doing so because that's not really helpful to anyone.

Also, this:

Loading Video...

-Byshop

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but people who say "lol itz just a interwebz posts lol" really miss the point. Writing well isn't something any educated person should have to struggle to do, it should be your natural state of writing.

I'm not usually going to complain about grammar, but I will judge your overall ability to comprehend and reason based upon your writing style. After all, it's language that permits complex thought, even if unspoken.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

depends on the context

if it is done to educate and inform you, then it's fine. There is a polite and right way to do it.

if it is done to stroke their ego and make them feel smart and/or to put you down, then they can piss off.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Yes

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

There is one user here on. The forums who post. Just like this. He writes 3 disconnected sentences that would be absurd by themselves, but if made into one, would make sense. If you are in an argument, a well structured sentence, with proper spelling, would go a long way to getting your point across instead of being overlooked.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Do grammar whore's annoy u?

Tbh I hate it when they bring up this shit just bcuz there losing a debate such as a game or etc argument. Just to change the topic bcuz they have no idea wtf there talking about its infection over on ign.

The lack of grammar and spelling...

https://media.tenor.co/images/825788730461a5733c951e5e075e22c0/raw

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

I like how people are making an effort to use good grammar and not use txt language as I always found it annoying and sometimes hard to read. I would never correct someone though because most of the time it's non-native English speakers.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#14 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Usually if someone picks on your spelling it's not them trying to help you but an attempt to elevate themselves, which isn't a great sign.

Totally agree, because I'm one of those people with ''not so great grammar'' as well! lol But there is that RARE occasion where someone is really trying to help by not knocking you down.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

Depends. In informal settings like texts and forums I really could care less, as long as the message is legible. In the professional setting, like works emails, where someone just doesn't know better or failed to proof read, I end up feeling embarrassed on behalf of the person.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Commiesdie said:

Do grammar whore's annoy u?

"Do grammar whores annoy you?"

:-P

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

wo ned grammers? lulz yuz all nurds u shud bee lik i an bee cul.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14813 Posts

Depends. I can't stand when people don't even try. I just give up reading their posts if that's the case.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

Generally if you use poor grammar you will present yourself as uneducated.

Also bad grammar annoys me.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

How du u spell rong?..

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

I don't mind letting a few errors slip by here and there if the person gets their point across, but if it's apparent they are not even making an effort then I skip to the next post. I tend to respect posters more who take pride in their writing.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

@Byshop said:

Moving from Sports to Off Topic because this obviously has nothing to do with sports. Please put your posts in the appropriate forum for the subject matter.

To the Op's question, if you want to be understood by others it's generally a good idea to take a few extra minutes when writing out your post to make sure it's coherent. What people write is pretty much always clear to the person who wrote it (because they know what they were thinking when they wrote it) but everyone else doesn't have the benefit of knowing what's in your head beforehand. They have to rely on the words you write entirely, so if those words are disjointed, badly misspelled, or just plain wrong, then it can be very difficult to get your point across. Additionally, if you're trying to convince others that you know more about a particular topic, few things undermine that position faster than not being able to string together a complete sentence.

GameSpot actually has rules in the Code of Conduct (CoC) about ensuring that your posts at least resemble something like proper English. I'm not going to mention any names, but there are a few regular posters on GameSpot who's spelling and grammar are so bad that half the time most posters can't understand what they are trying to say. This can be for a number of different reasons. Sometimes it's laziness, but other times it might be because someone is learning English as a second language and that effort should be applauded. On the other side of that coin, while correcting someone else's grammar isn't technically against the rules on GameSpot we also do have a line in the CoC about going overboard doing so because that's not really helpful to anyone.

Also, this:

Loading Video...

-Byshop

Thats was freakin hillarious ! Lol ..

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@Commiesdie said:

If I see a poster making insults and calling names such as idiot or fool, I expect that person to have good grammar. Otherwise, he's open to similar attacks.

warriorsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By warriorsq
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

I made a woman cry by mentioning the fact she was fat when she pulled up the fact I made a spelling mistake and decided to make a big issue out of it. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones as they say

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

nah gramr nazis dont bother me at all

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Use the grammarly extension, and it will save you from having to bother with those sorts of situations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

On message boards, yes. People that harp on typos and grammar are moronic at best. Lots of easy typos happen, your for you're and other such examples. I know what people are saying. I dont need to call them out on simple errors that we all fucking make.

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts

Nope. They're doing God's work.....

Chocobo_PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chocobo_PS2
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

@Crash6 said:

Nope. They're doing God's work.....

God is dead and lotta people has their intelligence dropped.

Btw I wonder who is gamespot green named people blessing are. Shall be funny moderator shall be dumb. Rofl.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

No, I'm not bothered at all, I am a grammar whore; still, I wouldn't point their mistakes to anybody, it's just plain rude.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Is there a reason that on this forum there are only a handful of people that know the difference between the words "worst" and "worse" as well as the difference between "idea" and "ideal"? I mean it's not really a big deal but it's uncanny the way the wrong one is almost always used here. Please take a second and ask yourself if you know the difference. I have often wondered what the hell is going on with that.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WhiteKnight77

@mark1974 said:

Is there a reason that on this forum there are only a handful of people that know the difference between the words "worst" and "worse" as well as the difference between "idea" and "ideal"? I mean it's not really a big deal but it's uncanny the way the wrong one is almost always used here. Please take a second and ask yourself if you know the difference. I have often wondered what the hell is going on with that.

The ones I wonder if people know the difference of is payed and paid.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@thegerg often points out as english is not my native language in a debate, while making grammar mistakes himself :P

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

To some extent, yes. When someone like thegerg is around.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It would really depend. If your debate is sidetracked over one single error then I can see how it is annoying.
If you however type incoherently or "uz b wirtin tdem sntnzs lyk tis" where the reader would likely take several attempts trying to figure out what you've written, then it's perfectly reasonable to request that you apply proper grammar.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

Not me, it doesn't bother me only because nobodies perfect these days, I can however translate some post if they make a mistake on there parts, I just find this whole nazi grammar thing to be very stupid in the end.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@davillain- said:

Not me, it doesn't bother me only because nobodies perfect these days, I can however translate some post if they make a mistake on there parts, I just find this whole nazi grammar thing to be very stupid in the end.

I only address grammar if it's unreadable....so I won't point out your mistake. ;)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56253 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@davillain- said:

I only address grammar if it's unreadable....so I won't point out your mistake. ;)

I can respect that Mr. LJS9502_basic :)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

@davillain- said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@davillain- said:

I can respect that Mr. LJS9502_basic :)

LOL...couldn't resist. Have a great day..........

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WhiteKnight77

@LJS9502_basic said:
@davillain- said:

I only address grammar if it's unreadable....so I won't point out your mistakes. ;)

FTFY

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

True

I step in when someone is trying to insult someone with errors as they do it.

"your stupid"

So are you saying that someone owns a stupid?