Do good looks really mean more success?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

Or is it from the confidence you can gain from being complemented on your looks? Does it all come down to how you present yourself to others?

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#2 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Its not so much looks as how you present yourself. If you're not willing to go the extra mile in dress and grooming you might find yourself in a dead end position in a career.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Probably the confidence. Not necessarily from compliments though. Big smiles and a clear, expressive voice definitely go a long way to making you seem self assured (in a good way).

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Complimented by your looks meaning how physically attractive you are? Or meaning how you are dressed or groomed? Or both? I would say it depends on those factors often and there are a variety of things that could influence any given success...hard to say. What do you define as sucess? Dont sacrifice yourself for sucess, be yourself and follow your passions. Real people will see through the other garbage.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Good looks are point A when it comes to gaining advantages over others, but you have to take advantage of the springboard genetics have given you.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

No, because there are some ugly ************* out there with power and/or money.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
looks help. despite what people say otherwise.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
Lets not kid ourselves, its not a determining factor, but its defintly a big one in many situations. for both sexes. but success is gained in many ways... if your refering to "sexual Sucess" then ... its a huge factor along side confidence.
PimpiNbananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PimpiNbananas
Member since 2007 • 1911 Posts

Take Pablo Escobar for example, he ugly as hell but his ruthlessness and determination to become kingpin of the drug world made him the most successful druglord ever. His net worth was well over 30 billion before he died and he was so powerful that he controlled the entire columbia region. No one had the balls to stand up to him.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

it does help dispite what everyone says

AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AcronymnsFTW
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts
Self confidence is important and I guess looking good helps. Although Donald Trump looks ugly, but he's successful.
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
Kind of. There's a thing called the Halo Effect where attractive people are seen as 'good'. In the justice system particularly good looking people often receive lighter sentences. You can make up for looks through confidence and being well presented.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
Looks can be utilised for success.
Avatar image for NintendoBoy1996
NintendoBoy1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NintendoBoy1996
Member since 2009 • 215 Posts
It depends. It's hard to respect a fatty, but you can respect a fit guy with an ugly face. You can't change how you look as far as your face, but you can change your weight.
monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
im sure theres a south park episode on this, all the good looking kids are dumb because people do stuff for them, while the kids who are ugly are very smart :P
E-XRiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 E-XRiot
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts

that depend om the kind of success you mean

but simply it do not help

I am unable to write them

can't transulate them good to english

but just some exambles

Ineistien was a bad looker

Napilion also was

bill gets hax a decent look , but it's not that good

to explain myself , goodlooking people are usualy emotional and blinds with the environment around them

that don't usaully make good results

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

We tend to listen more to those that don't hurt our eyes.

E-XRiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 E-XRiot
Member since 2009 • 70 Posts

sorry for bad language

i'm in a hurry

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
god given looks aren't really important. What's important is the way you deal with yourself. For instance, if you're fat then exercise. If you're bald then SHAVE YOUR GODDAMN HEAD. If you're nose is broken then fix it. If you have yellow teeth then whiten it. And so on. It's the way you handle yourself that's important and yes, success would come much closer. But if you're talking about raw looks... well unless you're in the media business I hardly think it matters.
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

Actually, thinking about it now... The prettiest girl at my previous workplace was hated by the other girls. I don't know if it was simply jealousy or the fact that she'd always relied on her looks and her low-cut tops to get her through, without developing any charm for other women. She wasn't particularly good at her job, but she landed a cushy local government position regardless.

If there's any moral to the story, I suppose it's that looks and charm can be a viable alternative to job competence in some fields, at least to a point.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

Actually, thinking about it now... The prettiest girl at my previous workplace was hated by the other girls. I don't know if it was simply jealousy or the fact that she'd always relied on her looks and her low-cut tops to get her through, without developing any charm for other women. She wasn't particularly good at her job, but she landed a cushy local government position regardless.

If there's any moral to the story, I suppose it's that looks and charm can be a viable alternative to job competence in some fields, at least to a point.

jimmyjammer69
It can be argued that looks are just as viable as a resource to getting ahead just as much as intelligence or job competence and skills. Now if you're a triple threat and have all that skills then the only way you're not getting that job or promotion is through your own mess up. One must use the assets provided to get ahead in life. If you're not the smartest tool in the shed, but know you got the body to open doors for you... why should one fault you for using it? It's probably the smartest thing you can do for yourself. Blame it on the superiors if they use that as the determining factor. It is no different as the person next to you who is vying for the same job but is using their intelligence or educational background to get that position. Now once there, you're on your own to do a good job to keep that job.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

I think it takes a certain kind of person to hire and promote 'good looking' people only. I don't necessarily think it's right and I would never give someone's career a boost based on their looks alone. When I left my old job, they had numerous people interview to replace me. I got to see every applicant that came in, as I was the receptionist and manned the front door. My boss definitely hired the prettiest woman they interviewed. Young, very pretty face, thin, lots of makeup, and plenty of cleavage. I'm sure my boss (male) hired her strictly for her professional qualifications. :roll: Sorry if that sounds sexist but A. I think he was genuinely pleased to be able to hire someone so attractive- the other girls in the office and I didn't look like that, and B. some men respond to attractive women in certain ways and that's just how it is. Unfortunately.

P.S. The new girl lasted 3 months at the job.

NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

You have to look well enough to appear that you care about what you are doing. So just don't wear ripped jeans or stained shirts etc.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Looks is a start, and a company wants to represent itself by employees that look cool, not always but most times. Like i said its a start, then you have to go beyond your looks and proveyourself to be smart, confident, funny, outgoing, and a great teamplayer. Never lazy. If you have these things on top of looks, then your going places !

binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 binpink

Self confidence is important and I guess looking good helps. Although Donald Trump looks ugly, but he's successful.AcronymnsFTW

I think guys have an easier time in this department than women, personally. Guys are allowed to be unattractive and still do as well as they wish to; it's harder for women, and I think unattractive women are at an even greater disadvantage. :(

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Birdy09
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

Sajedene
It can be argued that looks are just as viable as a resource to getting ahead just as much as intelligence or job competence and skills. Now if you're a triple threat and have all that skills then the only way you're not getting that job or promotion is through your own mess up. One must use the assets provided to get ahead in life. If you're not the smartest tool in the shed, but know you got the body to open doors for you... why should one fault you for using it? It's probably the smartest thing you can do for yourself. Blame it on the superiors if they use that as the determining factor. It is no different as the person next to you who is vying for the same job but is using their intelligence or educational background to get that position. Now once there, you're on your own to do a good job to keep that job.

/thread. If only everyone had the common sense to think this way. Looks are as valid as anything else, its part of our instinct... and shouldnt be treated as "shallow" or "vain"
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
In some ways more then others yes...How else could I get that job as a stripper....
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
good looks are correlated to success. and so is confidence. though i'd think that both aspects help greatly. also there are a lot of good looking people that are not confident in themselves so they aren't that linked.
cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
Only in a shallow world they do.
binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 binpink

If you're not the smartest tool in the shed, but know you got the body to open doors for you... why should one fault you for using it? It's probably the smartest thing you can do for yourself. Blame it on the superiors if they use that as the determining factor. It is no different as the person next to you who is vying for the same job but is using their intelligence or educational background to get that position. Now once there, you're on your own to do a good job to keep that job.Sajedene

I just want to make sure I understand this bit of what you're saying. It's okay to use your looks to open doors for yourself, but if someone actually responds to you using your looks and hires/promotes you, they are to be "blamed" for doing so? I believe it is different than the person using their intelligence to get a job because unless you're working in a specific field where your body/appearance ARE the job, neither of those have any merit on your ability to perform the job. Their intelligence and educational background do. If that makes sense.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Absolutely not. Look at Bill Gates.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

Sajedene

looks are not productive, intelligence is. That's the difference.
Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Birdy09
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="jimmyjammer69"]

nintendo-4life

looks are not productive, intelligence is. That's the difference.

Depends on the intelligence required... it may not be required for the job...
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]If you're not the smartest tool in the shed, but know you got the body to open doors for you... why should one fault you for using it? It's probably the smartest thing you can do for yourself. Blame it on the superiors if they use that as the determining factor. It is no different as the person next to you who is vying for the same job but is using their intelligence or educational background to get that position. Now once there, you're on your own to do a good job to keep that job.binpink

I just want to make sure I understand this bit of what you're saying. It's okay to use your looks to open doors for yourself, but if someone actually responds to you using your looks and hires/promotes you, they are to be "blamed" for doing so? I believe it is different than the person using their intelligence to get a job because unless you're working in a specific field where your body/appearance ARE the job, neither of those have any merit on your ability to perform the job. Their intelligence and educational background do. If that makes sense.

You use what you got. But if the person hiring you sees your resume and sees nothing of merit on paper but likes the way you look and hires you anyway... props to you for being able to use that asset to get that job. If anyone complains that you were hired for your looks... it isnt your fault but the fault of the person who hired you. No one puts a gun to anyones head when someone hires for looks over personality. I've seen plenty of people in the corporate setting who with all of their intelligence and intellectual background fail. Those are not the be all end all. When you get the job, it is up to you to learn and utilize the skills acquired for said job to get further. Social skills are just as important as the other skills when it comes to a career... but how does one hire for that? Social skills can be lacking in someone regardless of their superior IQ and various degrees. A person with good looks and impeccable people skills who doesn't have the educational strength of a Harvard graduate can still get far in life. A person who just has ONE strength to their merit, be it looks, intelligence, social adeptness will not go far.
Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

[QUOTE="AcronymnsFTW"]Self confidence is important and I guess looking good helps. Although Donald Trump looks ugly, but he's successful.binpink

I think guys have an easier time in this department than women, personally. Guys are allowed to be unattractive and still do as well as they wish to; it's harder for women, and I think unattractive women are at an even greater disadvantage. :(

I have to disagree here, there are no attractive or unattractive people on this planet, while it is true most people are conditioned to act in a certain way based on their ego, religion and cultural influence. How do you get out of it? is the key....being proud and still behave like a human being with a heart is a very difficult art to master....it affects both men and women, that's the point of life- it's a learning process. I think most women feel sorry for themselves, this self-criticism won't do them any good, guys take advantage of their weakness in most cases....anyway they should learn to stop it.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

I think that applies more to women than it does to men, particularly when it comes to the entertainment industry.

Off of the top of your head, how many actresses or female musicians can you name that you would consider to be noticeably overweight? (That's more of a rhetorical question, though if someone really wants to answer it, then go for it. :P )

On the other hand, for what it's worth, most of the women I've known in managerial positions probably would be considered by most people to be less attractive than a significant portion of the women working under them. (Older people being more likely to be in a higher position in a company is probably a factor there.)

binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 binpink

[QUOTE="binpink"]

[QUOTE="AcronymnsFTW"]Self confidence is important and I guess looking good helps. Although Donald Trump looks ugly, but he's successful.Blubadox

I have to disagree here, there are no attractive or unattractive people on this planet, while it is true most people are conditioned to act in a certain way based on their ego, religion and cultural influence. How do you get out of it? is the key....being proud and still behave like a human being with a heart is a very difficult art to master....it affects both men and women, that's the point of life- it's a learning process. I think most women feel sorry for themselves, this self-criticism won't do them any good, guys take advantage of their weakness in most cases....anyway they should learn to stop it.

Oookaaay..... it's nice you're so open minded about people and their possibilities, but I see plenty of women who get judged more harshly than men in various settings. I absolutely think it's unfair and should stop, but my point is that it exists. You might not see anyone as unattractive or attractive or whatever, but I do. And there are some other people who do as well. I don't think women's appearances being judged more harshly is due to women feeling sorry for themselves.

LanceA63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LanceA63
Member since 2003 • 417 Posts
perhaps it's more that aura of self-confidence that comes from being well groomed?
Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

[QUOTE="Blubadox"]

[QUOTE="binpink"]

binpink

Oookaaay..... it's nice you're so open minded about people and their possibilities, but I see plenty of women who get judged more harshly than men in various settings. I absolutely think it's unfair and should stop, but my point is that it exists. You might not see anyone as unattractive or attractive or whatever, but I do. And there are some other people who do as well. I don't think women's appearances being judged more harshly is due to women feeling sorry for themselves.

Yeah, you might be right....my opinions aren't conclusive, I'll get back to you when I learn more ;)