Do doctors have time to play video games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts
I'm going into the medical field and while I have committed my full devotion to it thus far, what worries me is not having time for doing many things I love, namely video games among other things. Considering how busy physicians in healthcare settings and on call can be, that's seeming to be a possibility. Do you think between the countless hours of med school, residency, fellowship and owning a practice, I may have time for any gaming at all?
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
You usually work 3-4 days a week if you work in the ER. If you are a family doctor then you work the normal 5 days a week during office hours. You'll have days off like any other career, although you may have reading and studying up on recent medical practices to do in your spare time.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'd imagine they could still have some time during free time (something I would guess doctors would have). Perhaps not as much time as other people in other professions, but still have some nonetheless. I'm not in the medical field though and don't know what kind of training and how much work one has to put into such a job so I can't really give an absolute, good answer, and what I say is just guessing at best.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

No.  Doctors don't do anything but doctor stuff.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Doctors have better shit to do than play videogames.Ackad
Actually surgeons who play video games are suppose to be better then those who don't. So play away TC, play away. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4685909/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/surgeons-may-err-less-playing-video-games/#.UbVeVPm1GXQ
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

[QUOTE="Ackad"]Doctors have better shit to do than play videogames.ferrari2001
Actually surgeons who play video games are suppose to be better then those who don't. So play away TC, play away. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4685909/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/surgeons-may-err-less-playing-video-games/#.UbVeVPm1GXQ

All that time playing Trauma Center is surely going to pay off! 

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14829 Posts

Yes. My friend and my cousin are doctors and they have more time to play games than I do :x

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

Yes. My friend and my cousin are doctors and they have more time to play games than I do :x

SOedipus

This gives me and the OP hope lol. There is also research out there that shows that surgeons who play video games prior to surgery can perform it much faster and precise than non-gaming surgeons. And people tell me video games cause nothing but harm. 

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Yes, though your time playing videogames is VERY limited.

From a student prespective, don't expect you'll be able to sit it out and play all the videogames you ever wanted to try or saw at E3.

I used to be a hardcore PC gamer back through highschool, now I barely have time to play to the point that I'm even considering switching entirely to Mac.