Disney will ban all junkfood ads - but not until 2015 - LOL

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
http://www.salon.com/2012/06/05/disney_to_banish_junk_food_ads_from_kid_shows/

That means kids watching Saturday morning children's shows on Disney's ABC network will no longer see ads for fast foods and sugary cereals that don't meet company's nutrition standards.

The guidelines won't go into effect until 2015 because of existing advertising agreements.

Like some kid will stop eating their favorite cereal or McDonald's just because there's no commercial - they still go with mom to the grocery store.:lol:

All this accomplishes is other networks will get more ad dollars, unless they jump on the bandwagon.

Thoughts?
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.chessmaster1989
I doubt it really. They'd still want it, wether they see it on TV or on the street...
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.chessmaster1989

If Disney was serious about this, they would see if they could negotiate and possibly refund some of those ad dollars, so they could stop some of them right away.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.topsemag55

If Disney was serious about this, they would see if they could negotiate and possibly refund some of those ad dollars, so they could stop some of them right away.

Who's to say they haven't (and I'm guessing the companies affected would not be willing to cancel the ads)? That aside, Disney is still a business and those shows air because of advertising money. Even if they could pull those ads, unless they had other ads to put in place, they couldn't keep the shows airing.

Uncertain why you think Disney isn't serious about this because they cannot immediately put it into effect due to contractual agreements...

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
good idea, the more they don't see it, the less they'll think about it
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
They won't get it if their parents don't want to buy it. Disney can ban these ads; but in the end, it is ultimatly up to the parents what their children will be eating. The problem is parents don't want to take the resonsibility. Years ago there were so many ridiculous claims that "McDonald's made me/my kids fat!" They never thought about the fact that they chose to buy this "food" for themselves or their kids.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.DeadMan1290
I doubt it really. They'd still want it, wether they see it on TV or on the street...

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I'm of the attitude that if marketing to kids really was irrelevant, as you're trying to suggest, large companies wouldn't be spending so much money engaging in it. I think it's a good idea, from a certain moral standpoint, for Disney to make this choice. We know that kids today, generally speaking, are overconsuming calories like most of the rest of us. So reducing the consumption of junk food is good, in that sense (although it will possibly hurt junk food companies that don't adapt).
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kraychik

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.topsemag55

That's unfair, Disney and its partners already have business plans in place. You can't just go back on something when you have pending financial commitments. The fact that they're making this decision tells us that they're 100% serious.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraychik

You can't take care of your children so we have to.:roll::roll:

roulettethedog
While I understand where you're coming from, let's not pretend that kids, like the rest of us, are affected by their environment. There's something to be said about marketing that targets children and its impact. Disney, in my eyes, is making a good choice from a certain moral perspective.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts
[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

kraychik
While I understand where you're coming from, let's not pretend that kids, like the rest of us, are affected by their environment. There's something to be said about marketing that targets children and its impact. Disney, in my eyes, is making a good choice from a certain moral perspective.

In the end it's the parents responsibility, it doesn't matter if the kids effected or not, since it was them buy the crap in the first place.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraychik
[QUOTE="kraychik"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

alexside1

In the end it's the parents responsibility, it doesn't matter if the kids effected or not, since it was them buy the crap in the first place.

Absolutely true, but again, there's an element that the environment plays in all these things. Why make life more difficult for the parents? Although simplistic, you've heard the phrase, "it takes a village to raise a child", right? I think that plays into this. At the end of the day, there's a correlation between effective marketing and consumption, and Disney seems to recognize this and wish to have less complicity in this phenomenon with respect to kids consuming more junk foods.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

that's their choice. what do you care if they don't want to promote junk food?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

roulettethedog
dude this isn't the government trying to impose anything on anyone. This is just a private sector company saying "Junk food is bad for people/kids, our audience is mostly kids, and it would be would be wrong for us to advertise stuff that is bad for kids." They aren't saying however, "Now parents here is what you should and should not let your kids eat."
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

That's not true at all.

Advertisements have a greater affect on adults than kids.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraychik
[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

Serraph105
dude this isn't the government trying to impose anything on anyone. This is just a private sector company saying "Junk food is bad for people/kids, our audience is mostly kids, and it would be would be wrong for us to advertise stuff that is bad for kids." They aren't saying however, "Now parents here is what you should and should not let your kids eat."

Exactly, it's a private company making its own decision. None of our business, really.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.Necrifer

That's not true at all.

Even if true, how does that contradict what I said?
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Being against abnormally unhealthy food is a thing of terrorists. If you hate junkfood, you hate Murrica and should be sent down to Guantanamo or sumthin for re-education.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Necrifer

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.chessmaster1989

That's not true at all.

This won't help reduce the amount of junk food kids eat.

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Necrifer

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Honestly I find it hard to believe that you don't think this will help. Kids are impulsive, they see an ad for something and they're very easily influenced by it. Then they ask their parents to get it for them (or to go to McDonalds). It won't stop them from eating their favorite cereal or eating McDonalds, but I imagine it'll reduce how much/often they want it.chessmaster1989

That's not true at all.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraychik

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Necrifer"]

That's not true at all.

Necrifer

Perhaps it will. It certainly would if there was more of a concerted effort to reduce marketing towards kids for junk food.
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraychik

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Necrifer"]

That's not true at all.

Necrifer

Perhaps it will. It certainly would if there was more of a concerted effort to reduce marketing towards kids for junk food.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
It'll have an impact definitely.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Good for them.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
Good for them.dave123321
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dave123321
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Good for them.Drakes_Fortune

You are going to anger him if you keep this up.
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Good for them.dave123321

Good
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
If it don't work the first time, never try again
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dave123321
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"]Drakes_Fortune

Good

I don't think you should follow OT's example of what happens to AP when she makes a thread. You are above that. Let threads stay on course and respect the OP despite personal feelings.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
I swear I saw one of those trojan vibrator commercials on Disney they got a lot to clean up
Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Necrifer

[QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"][QUOTE="dave123321"] You are going to anger him if you keep this up.dave123321
Good

I don't think you should follow OT's example of what happens to AP when she makes a thread. You are above that. Let threads stay on course and respect the OP despite personal feelings.

lol

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Necrifer

I swear I saw one of those trojan vibrator commercials on Disney they got a lot to clean upplaymynutz

also lol

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dave123321

[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="Drakes_Fortune"] GoodNecrifer

lol

I don't want drakes to follow my example and turn bitter.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
i'd like some junk food
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dave123321
i'd like some junk foodMrPraline
mhm
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

lol Won't do much. There's always a store or fast food joint nearby where temptation awaits.