Disney rehires James Gunn for Guardians of the Galaxy 3

#1 Edited by Byshop (19558 posts) -

I didn't see that coming. I thought if this was going to happen, it would have happened the the entire cast was protesting.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/james-gunn-rehired-as-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-/1100-6465607/

I think the film will be better for it. He's a good director.

-Byshop

#2 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6683 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (32827 posts) -

Good movies, 1 was eh, 2 was superb. Glad they are continuing.

Although Disney would be perfectly within their right to get rid of him, as it goes against the family friendly image, Still, most people won't know, or care, I think.

#4 Posted by carljohnsonCJ (386 posts) -

@Gamerno6666 said:

Yes.

#5 Posted by Byshop (19558 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Although Disney would be perfectly within their right to get rid of him, as it goes against the family friendly image, Still, most people won't know, or care, I think.

I'd reverse your scores of the first two films but otherwise I agree.

And yes, Disney is free to hire or fire whomever they want although I didn't think this particular firing made a ton of sense. They hired Sarah Silverman for Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2 and her standup is quite a bit raunchier than Gunn's tweets (and on the same topics). But when they fired him I really didn't expect them to reverse that decision.

-Byshop

#6 Posted by HEATHEN75 (679 posts) -

#7 Posted by SOedipus (11398 posts) -

Not surprised.

#8 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79288 posts) -

Personally, I wouldn't have gone back. Disney has shown an inability to commit to their employees. If Gunn was so easily let go before, what's to say that won't happen again? Someone finds another tweet, or some email he sent out 15 years ago or whatever. I wouldn't be able to trust Disney as far as I could throw them if I were Gunn.

#9 Edited by Serraph105 (33668 posts) -

To the people who created the fake outrage that started this thing.

Loading Video...

#10 Posted by Jacanuk (18283 posts) -

Hmm, interesting especially considering the Tucker and MJ stories and MJ´s removal.

But money talks I guess and Gunn and Disney can always pay off any indiscretions :)

#11 Posted by Speeny (1518 posts) -

Good call.

#12 Edited by watercrack445 (1455 posts) -

Now, for star war Episode 9 movie where they hire James Gunn.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (32827 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

Now, for star war Episode 9 movie where they hire James Gunn.

Haha yea, maybe then the attempts at humour would work.

#14 Posted by DaVillain- (36096 posts) -

@Byshop: Good for Disney, they realized they made a mistake by being so easily manipulated by disingenuous trolls. Dave Bautista/Drax won't have to ask to be let go now!

#15 Posted by sonicare (56655 posts) -

That's great news. Was a massive overreaction.

#16 Posted by dragonfly110 (27888 posts) -

Best news I've gotten all week

#17 Edited by jaydan (2211 posts) -
@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:

And yes, Disney is free to hire or fire whomever they want although I didn't think this particular firing made a ton of sense. They hired Sarah Silverman for Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2 and her standup is quite a bit raunchier than Gunn's tweets (and on the same topics). But when they fired him I really didn't expect them to reverse that decision.

-Byshop

Well when you think about it Disney has hired a lot of comedians for voicework that have "raunchy" stand-up routines.

For example: Patton Oswalt as the voice of Remy in Ratatouille, George Carlin as the voice of Fillmore in Cars, Robin Williams as the voice of Genie in Aladdin...I'm pretty sure we can come up with a long list of voice/actors that have been hired at Disney that have "raunchy" in their resume.

Anyways, I guess it's good that they rehired James Gunn to direct Guardians vol. 3; admittedly, I previously was very supportive of Disney firing him as well but I'm not here to flip a bitch over him getting rehired - it's just interesting. I suppose it's for the best. James Gunn knows the franchise he created better than anyone else. Something also tells me his rehiring has a lot to do with certain members of the cast really sticking their foot into the ground and refusing to reprise their roles despite contractual obligations. Dave Bautista in particular seemed very stern with not coming back as Drax and he did not seem to give two shits about breaking his contract with Disney. Maybe Disney realized it was not going to win so they had to backpedal to keep everyone sane.

#18 Posted by jaydan (2211 posts) -
@JustPlainLucas said:

Personally, I wouldn't have gone back. Disney has shown an inability to commit to their employees. If Gunn was so easily let go before, what's to say that won't happen again? Someone finds another tweet, or some email he sent out 15 years ago or whatever. I wouldn't be able to trust Disney as far as I could throw them if I were Gunn.

At this point I'm pretty sure all of his old Tweets have been caressed to hell and back after all the media attention that his initial firing caused and there's really nothing left to hide. Since it seemed like he was set to do a trilogy in the first place with Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm sure they're just gonna have him do it and call it a day and then he can go off and do work for other studios.

#19 Posted by Byshop (19558 posts) -

@jaydan said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Well when you think about it Disney has hired a lot of comedians for voicework that have "raunchy" stand-up routines.

For example: Patton Oswalt as the voice of Remy in Ratatouille, George Carlin as the voice of Fillmore in Cars, Robin Williams as the voice of Genie in Aladdin...I'm pretty sure we can come up with a long list of voice/actors that have been hired at Disney that have "raunchy" in their resume.

Anyways, I guess it's good that they rehired James Gunn to direct Guardians vol. 3; admittedly, I previously was very supportive of Disney firing him as well but I'm not here to flip a bitch over him getting rehired - it's just interesting. I suppose it's for the best. James Gunn knows the franchise he created better than anyone else. Something also tells me his rehiring has a lot to do with certain members of the cast really sticking their foot into the ground and refusing to reprise their roles despite contractual obligations. Dave Bautista in particular seemed very stern with not coming back as Drax and he did not seem to give two shits about breaking his contract with Disney. Maybe Disney realized it was not going to win so they had to backpedal to keep everyone sane.

Well, I wasn't talking about raunchyness so much as rape jokes specifically. This used to be a part of Silverman's set. She's still pretty over-the-top, and she's is very often vocal over the idea that no topic should ever be taboo in comedy, but she has cleaned up some of the more controversial topics in recent years.

-Byshop

#20 Posted by foxhound_fox (97857 posts) -

Still not sure I want to support the movie after they fired him for such a pathetic reason. I'm surprised he signed back on.

#21 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36086 posts) -
@jaydan said:

And Seth MacFarlane, who did voice work for Phineas and Ferb and has made jokes similar to what Gunn has said in his cartoons for the part of Fox Disney is buying.

#22 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43800 posts) -

This is good news.

The whole thing was nonsense from the beginning

@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, interesting especially considering the Tucker and MJ stories and MJ´s removal.

But money talks I guess and Gunn and Disney can always pay off any indiscretions :)

I guess the Disney boss appreciated Gunn's attitude with the firing--not blaming Disney, saying it's OK, expressing regret, and owning up to it--and felt his apology was sincere.

But yeah, probably money too hahaha

#23 Posted by VFighter (4807 posts) -

Hopefully Guardians 3 will be on par with the first movie and not meh like the second.

#24 Posted by AFBrat77 (26702 posts) -

@vfighter:

I thought both movies were among Marvel's best........I really appreciated Guardians 2 after I saw it for a 2nd time.

#25 Edited by jaydan (2211 posts) -

Technically James Gunn was never fired in the first place, Gunn was secretly in talks with Disney this entire time and he was always meant to direct Guardians 3. It was all a dramatic stunt that occurred when Disney was trying to get the government approval of acquiring Fox. This controversy surfaced around that time of trying to get this approval, so "firing" James Gunn was the best Disney could have done to preserve their family friendly image to get the approval of acquiring Fox. Notice how James Gunn is getting "rehired" only after the Fox acquisition is now set in stone.

#26 Posted by DaVillain- (36096 posts) -

What I also find it funny, Rian Johnson deleted over 20,000 twitter post after the shocking news over James Gunn firing all because of old Tweets. Rian Johnson was so scared, him and probably other directors started to do the same but it seems like Johnson did it for nothing now. But then again, it does goes to show you Twitter is it's own worst enemy even for any Celebrity.

I'm on Twitter but I barely use it.

#27 Posted by Master_Live (19390 posts) -

Color me surprised.

#28 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43800 posts) -

Well, either way, this is a victory for the real people out there, the moderates. Rejoice!

#29 Posted by Orionsbane (26 posts) -

Oh, look, Disney cares about nothing but grabbing money. Big News.

First, they fired James Gunn, worrying he'll ruin the 'oh such a nice' image of the company & ppl will boycott the movie leading to smaller revenue . Then hire him back because they're scared their movie will turn out shite & ppl will not watch it, leading to smaller revenue.

#30 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166364 posts) -

What a plot twist. I guess Disney wasn't successful in finding a replacement and since DC hired him they decided they'd rehire him. The first Guardians movie was great.......the second was not. Hopefully three is more like one and less like two.

#31 Posted by Serraph105 (33668 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

What a plot twist. I guess Disney wasn't successful in finding a replacement and since DC hired him they decided they'd rehire him. The first Guardians movie was great.......the second was not. Hopefully three is more like one and less like two.

I enjoyed the second quite a lot. They really screwed up Drax's character though.

#32 Edited by VFighter (4807 posts) -

@Serraph105: The second had some really good moments and ideas but it had way to much pointless/lame humor.

#33 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166364 posts) -

@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I enjoyed the second quite a lot. They really screwed up Drax's character though.

Just felt kind of flat. I guess the novelty wore off and the jokes a bit more meh. Hopefully three is good. And I'm curious what he'll do with Suicide Squad.

#34 Edited by jaydan (2211 posts) -
@LJS9502_basic said:

The reality is Disney never fired him in the first place. They instead put him on hold and never intended on finding a replacement to begin with. They pulled the whole "firing" stunt in the wake of the controversy while Disney was also trying to 'woo' the government so they can approve the Fox acquisition. The Fox entertainment branch is officially under the Disney wing now, and that's when Disney decided to "rehire" James Gunn.

#35 Posted by sonicare (56655 posts) -

Take that you self righteous millenials!