Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I didn't see that coming. I thought if this was going to happen, it would have happened the the entire cast was protesting.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/james-gunn-rehired-as-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-/1100-6465607/

I think the film will be better for it. He's a good director.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Yes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

Good movies, 1 was eh, 2 was superb. Glad they are continuing.

Although Disney would be perfectly within their right to get rid of him, as it goes against the family friendly image, Still, most people won't know, or care, I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5d8cc56f960a5
Member since 2018 • 557 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Yes.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

@uninspiredcup said:

Although Disney would be perfectly within their right to get rid of him, as it goes against the family friendly image, Still, most people won't know, or care, I think.

I'd reverse your scores of the first two films but otherwise I agree.

And yes, Disney is free to hire or fire whomever they want although I didn't think this particular firing made a ton of sense. They hired Sarah Silverman for Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2 and her standup is quite a bit raunchier than Gunn's tweets (and on the same topics). But when they fired him I really didn't expect them to reverse that decision.

-Byshop

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Not surprised.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't have gone back. Disney has shown an inability to commit to their employees. If Gunn was so easily let go before, what's to say that won't happen again? Someone finds another tweet, or some email he sent out 15 years ago or whatever. I wouldn't be able to trust Disney as far as I could throw them if I were Gunn.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

To the people who created the fake outrage that started this thing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, interesting especially considering the Tucker and MJ stories and MJ´s removal.

But money talks I guess and Gunn and Disney can always pay off any indiscretions :)

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Good call.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Now, for star war Episode 9 movie where they hire James Gunn.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58842 Posts

@watercrack445 said:

Now, for star war Episode 9 movie where they hire James Gunn.

Haha yea, maybe then the attempts at humour would work.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

@Byshop: Good for Disney, they realized they made a mistake by being so easily manipulated by disingenuous trolls. Dave Bautista/Drax won't have to ask to be let go now!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That's great news. Was a massive overreaction.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Best news I've gotten all week

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@Byshop said:
@uninspiredcup said:

And yes, Disney is free to hire or fire whomever they want although I didn't think this particular firing made a ton of sense. They hired Sarah Silverman for Wreck it Ralph 1 and 2 and her standup is quite a bit raunchier than Gunn's tweets (and on the same topics). But when they fired him I really didn't expect them to reverse that decision.

-Byshop

Well when you think about it Disney has hired a lot of comedians for voicework that have "raunchy" stand-up routines.

For example: Patton Oswalt as the voice of Remy in Ratatouille, George Carlin as the voice of Fillmore in Cars, Robin Williams as the voice of Genie in Aladdin...I'm pretty sure we can come up with a long list of voice/actors that have been hired at Disney that have "raunchy" in their resume.

Anyways, I guess it's good that they rehired James Gunn to direct Guardians vol. 3; admittedly, I previously was very supportive of Disney firing him as well but I'm not here to flip a bitch over him getting rehired - it's just interesting. I suppose it's for the best. James Gunn knows the franchise he created better than anyone else. Something also tells me his rehiring has a lot to do with certain members of the cast really sticking their foot into the ground and refusing to reprise their roles despite contractual obligations. Dave Bautista in particular seemed very stern with not coming back as Drax and he did not seem to give two shits about breaking his contract with Disney. Maybe Disney realized it was not going to win so they had to backpedal to keep everyone sane.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaydan
@JustPlainLucas said:

Personally, I wouldn't have gone back. Disney has shown an inability to commit to their employees. If Gunn was so easily let go before, what's to say that won't happen again? Someone finds another tweet, or some email he sent out 15 years ago or whatever. I wouldn't be able to trust Disney as far as I could throw them if I were Gunn.

At this point I'm pretty sure all of his old Tweets have been caressed to hell and back after all the media attention that his initial firing caused and there's really nothing left to hide. Since it seemed like he was set to do a trilogy in the first place with Guardians of the Galaxy, I'm sure they're just gonna have him do it and call it a day and then he can go off and do work for other studios.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Byshop  Moderator

@jaydan said:
@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Well when you think about it Disney has hired a lot of comedians for voicework that have "raunchy" stand-up routines.

For example: Patton Oswalt as the voice of Remy in Ratatouille, George Carlin as the voice of Fillmore in Cars, Robin Williams as the voice of Genie in Aladdin...I'm pretty sure we can come up with a long list of voice/actors that have been hired at Disney that have "raunchy" in their resume.

Anyways, I guess it's good that they rehired James Gunn to direct Guardians vol. 3; admittedly, I previously was very supportive of Disney firing him as well but I'm not here to flip a bitch over him getting rehired - it's just interesting. I suppose it's for the best. James Gunn knows the franchise he created better than anyone else. Something also tells me his rehiring has a lot to do with certain members of the cast really sticking their foot into the ground and refusing to reprise their roles despite contractual obligations. Dave Bautista in particular seemed very stern with not coming back as Drax and he did not seem to give two shits about breaking his contract with Disney. Maybe Disney realized it was not going to win so they had to backpedal to keep everyone sane.

Well, I wasn't talking about raunchyness so much as rape jokes specifically. This used to be a part of Silverman's set. She's still pretty over-the-top, and she's is very often vocal over the idea that no topic should ever be taboo in comedy, but she has cleaned up some of the more controversial topics in recent years.

-Byshop

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Still not sure I want to support the movie after they fired him for such a pathetic reason. I'm surprised he signed back on.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts
@jaydan said:

And Seth MacFarlane, who did voice work for Phineas and Ferb and has made jokes similar to what Gunn has said in his cartoons for the part of Fox Disney is buying.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

This is good news.

The whole thing was nonsense from the beginning

@Jacanuk said:

Hmm, interesting especially considering the Tucker and MJ stories and MJ´s removal.

But money talks I guess and Gunn and Disney can always pay off any indiscretions :)

I guess the Disney boss appreciated Gunn's attitude with the firing--not blaming Disney, saying it's OK, expressing regret, and owning up to it--and felt his apology was sincere.

But yeah, probably money too hahaha

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Hopefully Guardians 3 will be on par with the first movie and not meh like the second.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@vfighter:

I thought both movies were among Marvel's best........I really appreciated Guardians 2 after I saw it for a 2nd time.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jaydan

Technically James Gunn was never fired in the first place, Gunn was secretly in talks with Disney this entire time and he was always meant to direct Guardians 3. It was all a dramatic stunt that occurred when Disney was trying to get the government approval of acquiring Fox. This controversy surfaced around that time of trying to get this approval, so "firing" James Gunn was the best Disney could have done to preserve their family friendly image to get the approval of acquiring Fox. Notice how James Gunn is getting "rehired" only after the Fox acquisition is now set in stone.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

What I also find it funny, Rian Johnson deleted over 20,000 twitter post after the shocking news over James Gunn firing all because of old Tweets. Rian Johnson was so scared, him and probably other directors started to do the same but it seems like Johnson did it for nothing now. But then again, it does goes to show you Twitter is it's own worst enemy even for any Celebrity.

I'm on Twitter but I barely use it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Color me surprised.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Well, either way, this is a victory for the real people out there, the moderates. Rejoice!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

What a plot twist. I guess Disney wasn't successful in finding a replacement and since DC hired him they decided they'd rehire him. The first Guardians movie was great.......the second was not. Hopefully three is more like one and less like two.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

What a plot twist. I guess Disney wasn't successful in finding a replacement and since DC hired him they decided they'd rehire him. The first Guardians movie was great.......the second was not. Hopefully three is more like one and less like two.

I enjoyed the second quite a lot. They really screwed up Drax's character though.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Serraph105: The second had some really good moments and ideas but it had way to much pointless/lame humor.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

I enjoyed the second quite a lot. They really screwed up Drax's character though.

Just felt kind of flat. I guess the novelty wore off and the jokes a bit more meh. Hopefully three is good. And I'm curious what he'll do with Suicide Squad.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jaydan
@LJS9502_basic said:

The reality is Disney never fired him in the first place. They instead put him on hold and never intended on finding a replacement to begin with. They pulled the whole "firing" stunt in the wake of the controversy while Disney was also trying to 'woo' the government so they can approve the Fox acquisition. The Fox entertainment branch is officially under the Disney wing now, and that's when Disney decided to "rehire" James Gunn.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Take that you self righteous millenials!