mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned here in the forums or articles, but yeah the legendary Maradona has sadly died after suffering a fatal heart attack yesterday.

Three days of national mourning have been announced in Argentina to mark the passing of their national hero, while his legions of fans from around the world have also been paying their respects upon learning of this unexpected and sorrowful news.

A larger than life character, the most gifted, skillful, exciting player of his generation and perhaps even the greatest footballer of all time. Truly a wizard on the pitch, and equally unpredictable away from it. May he rest in peace.

*Obligatory hand of god footage. Sorry England fans, couldn't resist.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Sad news. I didn't grow up watching Maradona play but tales of his legend were always prevalent. RIP.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

True legend and a very sad story too. A magician. Sadly going to Naples early in his career was totally the wrong place to be for him and from there he never beat addiction.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

A true legend, gone as many, way too soon.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Ya know, people often debated this question; who was the greatest, Pele or Maradona?

My answer? They were both equally great, just in two different ways. To illustrate my point, I would compare them to the video game Mass Effect. Pele is the Paragon of football; he represented the ideal of it, the grace, the artistry, the "Samba football," the game "played in heaven."

Maradona, meanwhile, was the Renegade of football. He represented the reality of it; both its high-minded ideals, and its darker underbellies. The genius and legend, and a flawed human being. Goal of the Century, and Hand of God, going hand-in-hand, inseparable. Appropriate, considering they occurred in the same game.

I normally don't participate in threads like this, since posting in them makes me feel like it's more about me than about the person who died. I therefore usually prefer to reflect quietly. The last time I posted in this kind of thread was when Stephen Hawking died, because his life and career had a deep effect on me personally. I suppose this qualifies as well, because no football fan anywhere in the world today hasn't been affected deeply by the tales, the legends and the history of Diego Armando Maradona.

RIP.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

A shame.

Don't know much about him outside of what I saw on a documentary, but he seemed like a solid dude with good intentions. A shame his life was so troubled at certain points.

Many of his experiences should be shared with pro athletes as both inspiration and cautionary tale.

@madrocketeer said:

Ya know, people often debated this question; who was the greatest, Pele or Maradona?

My answer? They were both equally great, just in two different ways. To illustrate my point, I would compare them to the video game Mass Effect. Pele is the Paragon of football; he represented the ideal of it, the grace, the artistry, the "Samba football," the game "played in heaven."

Maradona, meanwhile, was the Renegade of football. He represented the reality of it; both its high-minded ideals, and its darker underbellies. The genius and legend, and a flawed human being. Goal of the Century, and Hand of God, going hand-in-hand, inseparable. Appropriate, considering they occurred in the same game.

I normally don't participate in threads like this, since posting in them makes me feel like it's more about me than about the person who died. I therefore usually prefer to reflect quietly. The last time I posted in this kind of thread was when Stephen Hawking died, because his life and career had a deep effect on me personally. I suppose this qualifies as well, because no football fan anywhere in the world today hasn't been affected deeply by the tales, the legends and the history of Diego Armando Maradona.

RIP.

You should participate more, what you said was insightful. But I know what you mean by feeling like it is more about you, we tend to frame things from our own viewpoints because that is what we know.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Besides the obvious hand ball...he looks way offsides on that play. Were there players outside of the picture keeping him on?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

A gifted player indeed.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

RIP

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Besides the obvious hand ball...he looks way offsides on that play. Were there players outside of the picture keeping him on?

He was onside due to England's Steve Hodge kicking the the ball back towards the goal when he tried to clear it.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#11 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

True legend on the pitch. RIP.

RexyyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RexyyD
Member since 2020 • 10 Posts

To be honest as a mad football fan, he might not have been the player everyone says he is but he defenetly is a strange character