Did you ever have something happen to you that forever changed a habit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Before I got braces at the age of 16, I was an avid chewer of gum. Just about every day I would have a piece. Two years later, I got the braces off, and chewed a piece of gum, but never really craved it again. In fact, I don't remember the last time I did.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

1.Yeah, Age 16. My best freind got us whiskey from his dads stock.18 years later, i still couldn't give up drinking :P

2.Same day had my first smoke. Rest as you know :P

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Going to college made me have to almost completely give up gaming during the semester.

After I graduated, I really wasn't interested in gaming. Other interests grew, and I took a pretty long break from gaming. Till about 2 1/2 years ago.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

All of my life I've skipped the last step when walking down stairs. Without even thinking about it, I just do it. Never touch the bottom stair. I mentioned that to my mom one day and she told me that when I was about 2 years old I tripped on the bottom stair at my grandpa's house and broke my arm. Maybe there's a connection.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

no, honestly nothing has happened.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Yup. In a music review, an author described me as the "Fat version of Panic at the Disco" which 1) Destroyed my self-image 2) Made me commit to some lifestyle changes to get in shape.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

After i had my first child i gave up smoking, i just threw the packet in the bin with some still left in the pack. Fast forward 11yrs and i'm still smoke free and would never go back to it.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Braces made me want to maintain my teeth and keep them clean all the time. Now I can't stand having my teeth dirty before bed.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Was drinking about 7-8 ounces of vodka per day to get a little buzz. Decided to stop, got DTs. Haven't had a drink since.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

I was a kid skateboarding downtown on a Sunday. I would usually meet up with one friend and skate with the same group of people downtown. Around lunch we went to this burger joint. I got some fries & a pop and sat down in a booth. One of the guys we usually skated with was seated opposite me & I asked if he was getting anything and explained he didn't have money.

This small native indian kid with really old looking clothes, face full of dirt and snot leaking all over his face came walking up and stood there staring at me. I offered him a french fry and he gobbled it up.

The other guy (not really a friend just someone we skated with) started saying some really rude shit about the kid, "Look that dirty lil shit, are you poor ? Look at the shit all over him." Making fun of the kids appearance.

The guy also complained about being hungry and how I was giving food to the kid. Suddenly this older native indian lady stands up from the booth directly behind us. They had high seats so we couldn't see if it was occupied.

The lady walked over and offered the loud mouth guy I was sitting with $5 bucks to get some food. He was like "Oh wow thanks." Got up and ran to order food.

Totally oblivious to the fact she was probably the relation of the small boy he was mocking the entire time & took money from her. The point was lost on him & the fact that he didn't feel bad about it taught me at that early age humanity sucks.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I smoked a lot of pot in my early 20's but for some reason it started to give me anxieties instead of a favorable high so I had to quit.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I quit smoking pot 5 or 6 years ago because I suddenly started having anxiety attacks when I would smoke. After two or three consecutive incidents, I put it down for good.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I quit smoking 3 years ago, seeing my mother "living" the misery life she's living now with lung emphisema and congestive heart insuficiency needing to take pills like crazy and being connected to a damned O2 tank 24/7 was more than enough encouragement for me to leave tobacco for good.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I've had some health problems since October, (blurry vision, rapid weight loss despite no exercising, increased thirst) so I went to the doctor--he's diagnosed me as diabetic, and I was a few steps away from having to go to the emergency room so I've had to make some drastic lifestyle changes. It's not easy, but at least I don't have to inject myself with insulin shots everyday. And as long as I take care of myself, I won't have to.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I used to drink every night until one night I thought the whole idea of drinking was stupid. Quit the next day and haven't touched it since.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

Diabetes. I used to buy donuts, cakes, etc weekly - no more. Sugar is my enemy now. :/

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

I smoked a lot of pot in my early 20's but for some reason it started to give me anxieties instead of a favorable high so I had to quit.

been through that myself. i would make me utterly self conscious and fill my mind with the darkest thoughts. I didn't quit it entirely but I've limited it to once in a couple of months.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@the_bi99man said:

All of my life I've skipped the last step when walking down stairs. Without even thinking about it, I just do it. Never touch the bottom stair. I mentioned that to my mom one day and she told me that when I was about 2 years old I tripped on the bottom stair at my grandpa's house and broke my arm. Maybe there's a connection.

Could very well be. A defense your subconscious initiated.

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

Drinker of southern comfort - got way too wasted and threw up a bunch of southern comfort for 24 hours - now hates southern comfort. never. again.