Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24915 Posts

Hello friends

The witcher is now called most successful or popular netflix series of all time today but i recently watched 2 episodes. and in both episodes I was so bored that i had no desire to watch it again. the only good thing is herny cavill looks cool as geralt but every other cast has been hit and miss. you have ciri who looks like cute teenage girl rather than white hair with scar on face. and there was triss who i didnot even think was triss until speak. and i could go on and on.

then watching both episodes they feel like they dragged too much. very little action scenes and more boring dialogues to the point i stopped caring about.

so friends, why this series is so popular? is it because of henry cavill? lets discuss

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#2 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

The witcher is now called most successful or popular netflix series of all time today

Not true. It's been called the biggest Netflix first-season debut. Not the most successful or popular Netflix series of all time. That title still belongs to Stranger Things.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Never played the games, so no interest in the series.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Having played The Witcher 2 and 3, I found the Netflix series quite a decent adaptation. It wasn't perfect but It felt like Witcher so that makes it a success in my book. I particularly enjoyed the episodes that featured monster contracts, with the third being the highlight of the season for me.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#5 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I didn't like the first ep and stopped watching part way through the second since I did indeed find it pretty dull.

However, I came back to it later and ended up mostly enjoying the series. some of the later episodes in particular were pretty enjoyable

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I read the first book and almost beat the first game. The show has too much jumping around. Except Yennifer is easy on the eyes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I liked it.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Yes I found it boring I would rather have a CyberPunk 2077 series but in the meantime I'm watching Altered Carbon season 2 and I'm liking it quite a bit. I'm more a fan of a futuristic setting than a medieval one.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Too much yennifer, but I still liked it.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox

@warmblur: Oh shit, season 2 is out????

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hmm, season 2 ?

not even seen season 1 yet.

So not sure it´s something to be hunting for.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Chutebox said:

It dropped yesterday. I'm watching the third ep right now. So far so good.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Stopped watching about half way through the second ep. Kinda felt like I was watching a children's show like Harry Potter or something.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

I thought it was fine. Critics were a little too harsh, but fans have been praising it way more than it deserves.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Really enjoyed the show, my only complaint is it needs bigger and better fight scenes which should be happening because of the bigger budget.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@vfighter said:

Really enjoyed the show, my only complaint is it needs bigger and better fight scenes which should be happening because of the bigger budget.

They switched choreographer after the first episode, which had one of the best swordfight scenes I've ever seen. That was evident in the following episodes, though combat was still quite brutal and satisfying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I think the show was fine. A bit inconsistent quality wise.

The way the narrative is built feels weird, they try to mix a more modern structure with what seems an old school "the adventures of Geralt" series. And it didn't work that well. But boring? Not really.

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

It's the only series produced by Netflix that I've actually enjoyed

xboxfanonly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -5

#19 xboxfanonly
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

I have played the Witcher 3 and I feel like that helps a ton with getting into the show. The first few episodes feel like the character's story arcs were rushed, the story feels disjointed and it takes some time to figure out how it is being told. Overall I see what they were going for, just kind of trying to give each character some backdrop without wasting too much time and the second half feels a lot more interesting. I feel like this season is pretty much just setting the stage for what will hopefully be a richer plot in the seasons to come. I definitely did enjoy it overall, some things could have been explained better thats for sure, 8 episodes feels a tad bit short and it could have definitely benefited from another episode or two. Also the dude that plays Geralt frickin nailed his character, so ultimately that alone does the show a lot of good.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I watched it all, and found that I wanted to like more than I did, it was a hard watch at times.

I've played the all 3 Witcher games and still found the TV show hard to follow, my wife found it very hard as she hasn't played the games, the show assumes you have a lot of prior knowledge of the lore of its world.

One thing to note is the TV show is based off the books, not the games. The games events take place after the events of the books.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Hello friends

The witcher is now called most successful or popular netflix series of all time today but i recently watched 2 episodes. and in both episodes I was so bored that i had no desire to watch it again. the only good thing is herny cavill looks cool as geralt but every other cast has been hit and miss. you have ciri who looks like cute teenage girl rather than white hair with scar on face. and there was triss who i didnot even think was triss until speak. and i could go on and on.

then watching both episodes they feel like they dragged too much. very little action scenes and more boring dialogues to the point i stopped caring about.

so friends, why this series is so popular? is it because of henry cavill? lets discuss

boring ?!! quite the opposite, it was really entertaining , don't forget that the series is based on the books and the source material not the games , so don't be surprised if you see these differences

@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

The witcher is now called most successful or popular netflix series of all time today

Not true. It's been called the biggest Netflix first-season debut. Not the most successful or popular Netflix series of all time. That title still belongs to Stranger Things.

for now ...

@Byshop said:
@Chutebox said:

Binged it all , 2 days ago , it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either , the season 2 doesn't have the dark and mysterious atmosphere of the first season , and there was too much overacting

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox

@the_master_race: I definitely like season one over two

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jag85

@warmblur: Never heard of Altered Carbon until now. The plot summary sounds a bit like Ghost in the Shell. How does Altered Carbon compare to other cyberpunk?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@warmblur: Never heard of Altered Carbon until now. The plot summary sounds a bit like Ghost in the Shell. How does Altered Carbon compare to other cyberpunk?

Wish I could give you an answer but I haven't watch much Cyberpunk movies to compare but I do think the show is worth watching if you at least like the Cyberpunk setting.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

It was okay. Production quality seemed a bit lacking in SOME episodes than what I would have wanted (some scenes seemed out of Cable TV like TNT or Scyfy rather than premium.) It dragged in some places, and the ending didn't really have enough of a pay off too large of a cliff hanger. Geralt was just dying on the back of some wagon instead of doing anything for the season finale, lol wtf.

Still, not bad. My favorite recently are The Outsider and Mandalorian, I like them much more.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jag85

@warmblur: I'm a fan of the cyberpunk genre, so maybe it could be my type of show. Might check it out some time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58902 Posts

It's no Hercules The Legendary Journeys.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Byshop said:
@Chutebox said:

Binged it all , 2 days ago , it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either , the season 2 doesn't have the dark and mysterious atmosphere of the first season , and there was too much overacting

Agreed. Mackie was OK but I really liked Joel Kinnaman. Also I preferred the more noir-esque murder mystery storyline of season 1. I'm curious to see where they go with a third if they decide to make it.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

My wife and I personally found it very boring and didn't make it past the 4th episode. It just wasn't for us.

AntonelaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AntonelaG
Member since 2020 • 3 Posts

I have veen played the games, so, now I am interesting for the series, so I even see the trailers on youtube and sometimes I have downloaded some scenes with savefrom.net

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I thought it was pretty fun. Almost like a modern Xena/Hercules.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup  Online

@Litchie said:

Wish it was more like those shows, legitimately fun as hell, didn't take themselves too seriously. Thanks to game of thrones, gotta be War And Peace with dragons.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Litchie said:

Wish it was more like those shows, legitimately fun as hell, didn't take themselves too seriously. Thanks to game of thrones, gotta be War And Peace with dragons.

Those shows were indeed awesome.

Yeah, doubt anyone would watch The Witcher if Game of Thrones didn't exist.. Kinda doubt the show would even exist if Game of Thrones didn't.

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

I havent even watched it yet tbh, I am starting to watch All American and Locke & Key. Just finished Central Park 5 * Quite a depressing story*

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Byshop: Agree, Joel was great in that role and the first season just had a way better look and feel about it. Mackie was just to...I dunno...asshole with out even a touch of humor, he just wasn't a likable character. Hopefully season 3 is more in line with 1.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

It had some bad casting for certain characters. But other then that it was pretty good.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

Finally watch the entire season of Witcher and here's my opinion. Having to read the Witcher books and playing the games, I found the Netflix series went way too far from the lore and the games themselves are more in line what the Netflix brought to the table. Yennifer herself was the problem.

For one, there is an obvious lack of understanding with the themes with some of the episodes. I'll use the most egregious one as an example. The book's chapter is called the lesser evil. In the books, Geralt figures out Shriek's plan through discussion with the characters of the chapter rather than some random vision, (But show, got to shorten things up, I get that) so he goes in takes out the group just like in the show. This is where Netflix miss out on the theme and change things. In the books, Shriek came out not with a child and her blade at her throat, but alone. Stating that Stregebor wouldn't leave the tower whether she killed the next three towns over, Crestfallen. She then fights Geralt, not for some let me kill the townsfolk BS, but because he just ended up butchering her entire group for what in the end...was no reason. He kills her in self-defense and he's stoned by the townsfolk not because Stregy is now the evil one, but because Geralt literally murdered a group of people who did and weren't going to end up doing anything wrong. This story is what's suppose to set up Geralts rigid outlook on neutrality in human affairs.

The show in of itself is horrible at playing the gray themes of The Witcher. It's more Lord of the Rings, evil against good, rather than gray against gray. I'm more disappointed on how they treat the Nilf's as psychopathic rather than how they treat their armor. Sure they weren't good people, but they're just cookie cutter in the show. The elves and human story is another episode that they take all the nuance out of it. Just painting 'human's bad, elves good', which is not how the books wrote it.

One of the reason's I dislike the fact that a feminist (I shouldn't go their but I am) is the main Director of the show is that those type of people rarely understand nuance. Rarely understand gray areas, it's either all good or all evil, and that's what the show is pushing. The extra scenes they add that push "Oh women are oppressed" is wasting screen time, but overall, ignoble. It's the philosophical aspects it hurts the most. The games are far superior in this way with keeping things gray with fresh narratives in the series. They also really screw up Yennifer. She was never the best student. (that was Philipa) She was never a sword fighter. It'd be like making Geralt suddenly being a master sorcerer. It doesn't make sense context wise and just feels wish fulfillment. Yennifer is ridiculously powerful person, she's in the lodge for a reason, but she's not fantastic at everything. (Which also goes into how they screwed up the magic system)

Finally, while having more interactions between Geralt and Ciri in the next season will be good, they've already lost a big aspect about it. Which is that they both had a little adventure and bonding time together before they realized who each other was. It was suppose to show that their relationship was more than just fate, (which is what the whole episode's name is for, which they skipped) that there was something there without it. Which is just lazy. Those are my general grievances, I still really like the show, it's fun. Geralt is cast nigh perfectly, Dandelion is played on point, Yennifer's actress while she doesn't look like her, does play her personality exceedingly well. The action is top notch. It's a good show, but it's not next level like it could be if it didn't have all these problems. (Which is to would be if it followed the books closer, not perfectly, but closer) And while there is a lot of race-washing in the show, it's honestly to be expected by modern Hollywood. (And their ever-growing hatred of Gingers, sad but true) I just wish we had more people on set that actually understood the story that they were adapting like Henry Cavil (which is another thing, he's a fan of the books/games and even comments on Yennifer is his waifu) does his character, because the story is good enough to deserve that, but right now it certainly doesn't.

One last thing, if you read the books like me, I rate it a 6/10. If you only played the games, I give it a 8/10.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

The thought of anything middle earth makes me cringe. Never cared for the setting/lore. I have purposely skipped anything Witcher related for obvious reasons. I can’t even get into Game of Thrones and everyone watches that.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts

Yeah, I never played the games either. I'd like to read the books though. I like the fantasy stuff a lot but I just couldn't get into the show. I don't care much for GoT either though I just watched that because everyone was talking about it so much. I tried to read those books and made it half way through book 2 and just couldn't anymore it's so boring to read GoT...

themaarek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 themaarek
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

Hey, sorry for replying to a late topic. Didn't want to make a new one just for this. We made a little fanfilm up here in Finland while waiting for season 2 of the Netflix show. Putting it up here if anyone wants to comment:

Witcher - Mines of Eeclor

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

It was alright. Wasn't mind blowing, wasn't terrible, nice distraction.

Thought Castlevania was alot better, even though couldn't really tell you jack shit about Castlevania. Just as a show, enjoyed it more.